KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » The Off-Topic Forum » Random comic and or comic-related pictures

Random comic and or comic-related pictures
Started by: bluewaterrider

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (9): « First ... « 6 7 [8] 9 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
bluewaterrider

Old Post Aug 2nd, 2018 01:13 PM
bluewaterrider is currently offline Click here to Send bluewaterrider a Private Message Find more posts by bluewaterrider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
bluewaterrider

Old Post Aug 2nd, 2018 01:23 PM
bluewaterrider is currently offline Click here to Send bluewaterrider a Private Message Find more posts by bluewaterrider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
bluewaterrider

So many tropes ...

I don't remember how I happened on the above.

Think I might have been looking for "comics that are now in the public domain" or some such, because I recorded a few images of the Shazam characters back when they were part of Fawcett circa 1940s and 50s.

(please log in to view the image) (please log in to view the image)

Old Post Aug 2nd, 2018 01:33 PM
bluewaterrider

If you're asking "What tropes?"

well, a few of them are

-- "Metropolis" , but not the Superman version of it, rather the Beyoncé spoofed 1930s German techno-horror film version, which features some type of crazy android woman -- IF memory serves. Note that Harley fits "crazy" to a t ...

-- Wonder Woman lite. I didn't realize JUST how reflective of Wonder Woman this Claire Lune, aka "Moon Girl" actually was.

Diana Prince?

"Diana" was the name of a Greek (or Roman, the two are easy to confuse for how heavily borrowed their mythologies are from one another) MOON goddess.

In some incarnations, our beloved Wondy even gets a portion of her power from the same. And the man Claire is saving, much like Wonder Woman always did for Steve Trevor, is literally called "The Prince" and headlined the early issues of Moon Girl's magazine.

-- And of course there is the "Beach Bully" motif.
Harley Quinn spoofed arguably the most famous of them,
i.e. Charles "I will make you a real man with my method" Atlas.

I've seen this so often, I'm starting to wonder if beach culture back in the 40s, 50s, and 60s wasn't perhaps really like that/this/etcetera

(please log in to view the image)

Old Post Aug 2nd, 2018 01:56 PM
bluewaterrider

Minor note for any non-American readers

" to a t ..."

Roughly means "down to the tiniest detail".

I looked it up to make sure.

Found a somewhat momentarily fascinating word origin for the phrase on Stack Exchange which suggested the t stands for tittle.

But it's probably best to let that site speak for itself:

" ... If this is the derivation then the word in question is very likely to be 'tittle'. A tittle is a small stroke or point in writing or printing and is now best remembered via the term jot or tittle. The best reason for believing that this is the source of the 'T' is that the phrase 'to a tittle' existed in English more than a century before 'to a T', with the same meaning ...

https://english.stackexchange.com/q...f-fits-x-to-a-t

Old Post Aug 2nd, 2018 02:07 PM
bluewaterrider

Got to say, and a thread with randomness as part of the theme is the perfect place for such an observation,

I was really struck by the artist's portrayal of the Hen's would be victim in that Mary Marvel comic scan. The Hen is remarkably strong for an old woman; I could see her finding much happiness with Adrian Toomes aka The Vulture, of Spider-Man comics, truthfully, and Mary Marvel is, of course, Mary Marvel, but the green dressed woman herself looks athletic as far as heiresses go, REMARKABLY so. She could almost pass for a crossfit practitioner of our modern era. Maybe not elite, but not TOO far off, either ...

(please log in to view the image) (please log in to view the image)

Old Post Aug 2nd, 2018 02:25 PM
Wonder Man
Most Powerful Avenger

Woah to ye whose king is a child.(please log in to view the image)

Ion: Sub-Atomic Power

Old Post Aug 2nd, 2018 03:04 PM
Wonder Man is currently offline Click here to Send Wonder Man a Private Message Find more posts by Wonder Man Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
bluewaterrider

Speaking of Harley Quinn, her insanity today is a LOT more benign than it used to be, and happily so. Describing the darkness of yesteryear, I don't think I can top the description someone else wrote here, so I won't try:

" ... The comics dealt with this sort of thing in a cool way. In the original "Harley Quinn" series sometimes suddenly the art would get way more toony and zany. I didn't get why when I first read it but a something I read later (I think it was a letters page left out of the collection or something, my first issues were in a trade) stated that it was "Harleyvision" and sort of how Harley justified (to herself) doing awful things and also a sign of her breaks with reality. Whenever Harley is about to do something really bad, like say, murder a mook who betrayed her, suddenly it's all cartoony and the mook just looks dazed after the explosion. When a normal person comes across it later there's blood and it's realistically grim. It gets a really tragic twist later when one of the major secondary characters dies and Harley's not even aware he's dead. It's her type of insanity, essentially ..."

https://io9.gizmodo.com/why-harley-...cter-1680476875

Old Post Aug 2nd, 2018 03:07 PM
bluewaterrider

That meme of Iceman looking like Silver Surfer along with Beast and Colossus was a cool random picture which I'm sure I'll never again see if I don't take the time to try and preserve it here myself, so ...

Attachment: image.jpg
This has been downloaded 0 time(s).

Old Post Aug 2nd, 2018 03:11 PM
bluewaterrider

Given how often TurboImageHost has begun failing me this year, I'm wondering if a return to my posting habits of old might not be in order ...

Attachment: image.jpg
This has been downloaded 0 time(s).

Old Post Aug 2nd, 2018 03:17 PM
bluewaterrider

Old Post Aug 2nd, 2018 03:25 PM
bluewaterrider

Was going to post some Harley Quinn vision scenes, but I'm not quite feeling that today. The series that such scenes take place in make Batman look bad besides.
At least 3 people meet their end because of inaction on his part, one even as he looks on in disguise.

Lighter fare for the present hour, then.

Witness now the strangest, but arguably strongest-per-lean pound heroine in fiction, the fairy named "Glitter", from Kidd Video:

(please log in to view the image) (please log in to view the image) (please log in to view the image) (please log in to view the image) (please log in to view the image) (please log in to view the image) (please log in to view the image) (please log in to view the image) (please log in to view the image)

Old Post Aug 3rd, 2018 09:06 PM
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

F*cking owned:

Old Post Aug 3rd, 2018 09:14 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
bluewaterrider

Old Post Aug 16th, 2018 07:12 PM
bluewaterrider

Old Post Aug 16th, 2018 07:43 PM
bluewaterrider

Old Post Aug 16th, 2018 07:46 PM
bluewaterrider

Old Post Sep 9th, 2018 07:28 PM
bluewaterrider

Old Post Sep 9th, 2018 07:31 PM
Putinbot1
Restricted

Account Restricted

Old Post Sep 9th, 2018 08:36 PM
Putinbot1 is currently offline Click here to Send Putinbot1 a Private Message Find more posts by Putinbot1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nuke Nixon
One Shot, One Kill

Old Post Jan 4th, 2019 09:20 PM
Nuke Nixon is currently offline Click here to Send Nuke Nixon a Private Message Find more posts by Nuke Nixon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote