KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Mass Shootings in America Thread

Mass Shootings in America Thread
Started by: Robtard

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (263): « First ... « 123 124 [125] 126 127 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
dadudemon

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Robtard
Using the top ten, seems assault rifles are both used more often and have the higher kills counts:

1 Las Vegas shooting 2017 59 (including the perpetrator) Semi-automatic rifles
2 Orlando nightclub shooting dagger 2016 50 (including the perpetrator) Semi-automatic rifle
3 Virginia Tech shooting dagger 2007 33 (including the perpetrator) Handguns
4 Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting 2012 28 (including the perpetrator) Semi-automatic rifle and handgun
5 Sutherland Springs church shooting 2017 27 (including the perpetrator) Semi-automatic rifle
6 Luby's shooting dagger 1991 24 (including the perpetrator) Handguns
7 San Ysidro McDonald's massacre dagger 1984 22 (including the perpetrator) Multiple weapons
8 University of Texas tower shooting dagger 1966 18 (including the perpetrator) Multiple weapons
9 Stoneman Douglas High School shooting 2018 17 Semi-automatic rifle
10 San Bernardino attack 2015 16 (including both perpetrators) Semi-automatic rifles

Seems to be a trend. I'll do the maths later for all.

Assault rifle kill count = 220
Handgun/Shotgun kill count = 145

I didn't include the "multiple weapons" on either.

So it seems using maths that assault weapons produce more bodies. About 50% more bodies.

thumb up

So this argument is settled?

If we go with the top 20, what do death tolls look like: ARs vs. all others?

And is there mixed? I believe some shootings were mixed.

Old Post Mar 9th, 2018 04:15 PM
dadudemon is currently offline Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

Originally posted by dadudemon

I goofed it a bit, the Sandyhook was both ar/hand, so that should have been split and I gave it all to the ar category. But it's still favored to ar by 40ish percent at least.

The ones that said "multiple weapons" and didn't specify, I left out, favoring neither

You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Old Post Mar 9th, 2018 04:37 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Silent Master

thumb up

He doesn't want to compare just ARs vs everything else, even though that was my original statement. If we compare shootings with just AR style rifles vs shootings without. shootings without ARs has the higher number.

He realized this, which is why he started complianing that I was excluding non AR style rifles.

I don't know why some of you are going on about being right and winning. Rob and Impediment were in on this gag because I PMed them. Silent and Rao PMed me and figured I changed the post. I highly doubt anybody thought Quan made the post, but simply played along just for the lulz.

Last edited by Silent Master on Mar 9th, 2018 at 05:22 PM

Old Post Mar 9th, 2018 05:20 PM
Silent Master is currently offline Click here to Send Silent Master a Private Message Find more posts by Silent Master Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

Incorrect. You posted the source and I used your source to compare rifles vs hand/shot guns. The higher death count favors rifles as a fact; which doesn't gel with your agenda.

Source you posted: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mass_...e_United_States

2 Orlando nightclub shooting dagger 2016 50 (including the perpetrator) Semi-automatic rifle
4 Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting 2012 28 (including the perpetrator) Semi-automatic rifle and handgun
5 Sutherland Springs church shooting 2017 27 (including the perpetrator) Semi-automatic rifle
7 San Ysidro McDonald's massacre dagger 1984 22 (including the perpetrator) Multiple weapons
8 University of Texas tower shooting dagger 1966 18 (including the perpetrator) Multiple weapons
10 San Bernardino attack 2015 16 (including both perpetrators) Semi-automatic rifles

Last edited by Robtard on Mar 9th, 2018 at 05:48 PM

Old Post Mar 9th, 2018 05:46 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Silent Master

I wasn't comparing handguns/shotguns to AR's though. my post made it clear I was comparing ARs vs everything else. as I was responding directly to a claim that ARs cause a higher count.

The higher death count does not favor AR style "assault" rifles.

I don't know why some of you are going on about being right and winning. Rob and Impediment were in on this gag because I PMed them. Silent and Rao PMed me and figured I changed the post. I highly doubt anybody thought Quan made the post, but simply played along just for the lulz.

Old Post Mar 9th, 2018 05:54 PM
Silent Master is currently offline Click here to Send Silent Master a Private Message Find more posts by Silent Master Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
DarthPlaguis12
Restricted

Account Restricted

Overall handguns are used more in crimes etc not ar's etc

Old Post Mar 9th, 2018 07:11 PM
DarthPlaguis12 is currently offline Click here to Send DarthPlaguis12 a Private Message Find more posts by DarthPlaguis12 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Blindside12
Restricted

Account Restricted

Incorrect. You posted the source and I used your source to compare rifles vs hand/shot guns. The higher death count favors rifles as a fact; which doesn't gel with your agenda.

You are scared by Ar's we get it

Thanks Esta!

Old Post Mar 9th, 2018 07:14 PM
Blindside12 is currently offline Click here to Send Blindside12 a Private Message Find more posts by Blindside12 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dadudemon

Originally posted by Silent Master
I wasn't comparing handguns/shotguns to AR's though. my post made it clear I was comparing ARs vs everything else. as I was responding directly to a claim that ARs cause a higher count.

The higher death count does not favor AR style "assault" rifles.

Robtard, that's the top 10, not top 20.

This thread is about Mass Shootings so we should only consider that list.

Of the top 10 list, that's quite a few in the recent years (7). Does that not speak to a different trend which is the near-sexualization and immortialization of mass shooters by our media (both online and OTA)?

Seems the deadlier weapon here is "if it bleeds, it leads" from our Media.

I think first step to reducing mass shootings in the US is to make it illegal to put the perpetrators' names and faces in any news releases. And violation of this should expand to social media with fines. How far to go with that?

Old Post Mar 9th, 2018 08:02 PM
dadudemon is currently offline Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Silent Master

Of the top 10 list, that's quite a few in the recent years (7). Does that not speak to a different trend which is the near-sexualization and immortialization of mass shooters by our media (both online and OTA)?

I think first step to reducing mass shootings in the US is to make it illegal to put the perpetrators' names and faces in any news releases. And violation of this should expand to social media with fines. How far to go with that?

Yes, he cut the list in half and then discounted the ones where multiple weapons were used as several of them didn't include an "assault" weapons. mainly because leaving everything in would help my point.

IE, that 13 of the top 20 didn't use AR type weapons and that if you count total death toll. AR style weapons don't have much of an advantage and in fact would probably lose.

Old Post Mar 9th, 2018 08:28 PM
Robtard
Senor Member

That was a copy/paste error of the list, my initial numbers accounted for the 20 on the list, with the noted exceptions of the "multiple" not being counted and the initial error in regards to Sandyhook.

Recap with the Sandyhook split:

Rifles: 59 + 50 + 14 + 27 + 17 + 16 + 13 + 10 = 206

Hand/Shot: 33 + 14 + 24 + 15 + 14 + 13 + 13 + 13 + 10 + 10 = 159

As you can see, Rifles is still clearly ahead by a considerable margin, despite SM's attempts at flips. A 30ish% increase.

Last edited by Robtard on Mar 9th, 2018 at 08:41 PM

Old Post Mar 9th, 2018 08:31 PM
Robtard
Senor Member

Yes, he cut the list in half and then discounted the ones where multiple weapons were used as several of them didn't include an "assault" weapons. mainly because leaving everything in would help my point.

IE, that 13 of the top 20 didn't use AR type weapons and that if you count total death toll. AR style weapons don't have much of an advantage and in fact would probably lose.

My numbers accounted for all 20, but nice try again.

Old Post Mar 9th, 2018 08:31 PM
Silent Master

Even if true, it didn't account for all deaths as a result of non-AR style weapons. you also cried that I was excluding non AR style assault rifles in the numbers for death by AR style assault rifles.

Edit: The actual death toll for non AR style assault rifles is 205

Last edited by Silent Master on Mar 9th, 2018 at 08:48 PM

Old Post Mar 9th, 2018 08:37 PM
Robtard
Senor Member

It's absolutely true, if I only used the top ten, the numbers would be lower for both, smartguy.

I didn't include the "multiple" because specific guns are not listed. Some of those will be rifles, some will be handguns, some will be shotguns combos.

Old Post Mar 9th, 2018 08:39 PM
Silent Master

Only the specific guns were listed for the ones marked as "multiple weapon" shootings. you're being very dishonest.

Old Post Mar 9th, 2018 08:50 PM
Robtard
Senor Member

If so I missed it, can you show it here? I'll redo the math then.

Edit: Found this, most of the one's with multiple include both. So even splitting those, that doesn't help your bias: Deadliest Mass Shootings in Modern US History Fast Facts

Seems rifles produce a higher body count in mass shootings overall, which is of no real surprise.

Last edited by Robtard on Mar 9th, 2018 at 09:00 PM

Old Post Mar 9th, 2018 08:52 PM
Silent Master

There is no splitting as most of the ones listed as multiple weapons don't include assault rifles and the ones that did, I didn't count at all towards my 205 number.

I only counted the shootings where no AR style weapons were used.

Old Post Mar 9th, 2018 09:01 PM
dadudemon

That was a copy/paste error of the list, my initial numbers accounted for the 20 on the list, with the noted exceptions of the "multiple" not being counted and the initial error in regards to Sandyhook.

Recap with the Sandyhook split:

Rifles: 59 + 50 + 14 + 27 + 17 + 16 + 13 + 10 = 206

Hand/Shot: 33 + 14 + 24 + 15 + 14 + 13 + 13 + 13 + 10 + 10 = 159

As you can see, Rifles is still clearly ahead by a considerable margin, despite SM's attempts at flips. A 30ish% increase.

Actually, that's my fault as you clarified that and I failed to spend more time looking at the list to see that you cleaned it up. no expression

And that should settle the discussion.

Unless we want to expand the list to the top 100. I think handguns become the lion share if we move the list a bit further out. But that might be part of your point? That the more deadly shootings use ARs?

Old Post Mar 9th, 2018 09:38 PM
dadudemon

There is no splitting as most of the ones listed as multiple weapons don't include assault rifles and the ones that did, I didn't count at all towards my 205 number.

I only counted the shootings where no AR style weapons were used.

Okay, so wait a minute, which one has the higher body count in the top 20 list, then?

I thought Robtard shut this line of argument down?

Also, yes, I am aware your argument was just the incidents themselves as opposed to the body counts.

Old Post Mar 9th, 2018 09:40 PM
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Audio was apparently released from Florida. So the one cop(Peterson) who claimed he thought the shooter was outside the building...clearly says he hears shots IN the building.

Busted.

Old Post Mar 9th, 2018 09:42 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Silent Master

Actually, that's my fault as you clarified that and I failed to spend more time looking at the list to see that you cleaned it up. no expression

And that should settle the discussion.

Unless we want to expand the list to the top 100. I think handguns become the lion share if we move the list a bit further out. But that might be part of your point? That the more deadly shootings use ARs?

His numbers aren't accurate as they left off at 4 shootings that didn't use AR style weapons. if you add those in you'd be at 205, plus if you split the numbers from all the ones that used both AR style rifles and other weapons like Rob did for Sandy Hook. the non AR death toll would be around 230.

Old Post Mar 9th, 2018 09:45 PM