KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Mass Shootings in America Thread

Mass Shootings in America Thread
Started by: Robtard

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (263): « First ... « 179 180 [181] 182 183 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
DarthPlaguis12
Restricted

Account Restricted

I know what could have stopped the last few shootings....lazy cops actually doing their jobs

Old Post May 22nd, 2018 12:22 AM
DarthPlaguis12 is currently offline Click here to Send DarthPlaguis12 a Private Message Find more posts by DarthPlaguis12 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Playmaker
Mozart and the Whale

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Robtard
If the attacker is White = "Thoughts and prayers" + "He must have been crazy; nothing could have stopped this."[/i][/size] [/B]

I know you didn't imply this or anything, but I've been seeing it once again about the idea that mental illness is evil or just leads to mass shooting. So this isn't aimed towards you but you did indirectly bring up the point that gets lugged around.

And so using your comment as a springboard, I want to discuss an older article that was written by Ben Shapiro titled: Where Does Evil Come From? Ben says, after addressing the four types of evil as explained by Roy Baumeister, "This neglects a fifth type of evil, because we don't really consider it evil: mental illness." So the idea that the mentally ill are just violent monsters waiting in the wings gets pushed around by people from both sides of the aisle. But the idea that these acts are associated with mental illness is a very weak argument.

The vast majority of mentally ill people are not violent. Usually when they are it’s the consequence of some type of delusion. Elly Vintiadis over at Psychology Today wrote a piece addressing this saying, “this association is not only not supported by empirical evidence, but it is also counterproductive – both when it comes to addressing mental illness, and to addressing mass shootings and gun violence in general.” The NY Times ran an article that says, “In an analysis of 235 mass killings...22 percent of the perpetrators could be considered mentally ill.” James L. Knoll IV, M.D. and George D. Annas, M.D., M.P.H. ran a study and disproved the conception that people with serious mental illness should be considered dangerous, “Mass shootings by people with serious mental illness represent less than 1% of all yearly gun-related homicides.” Behavioral Scientist also ran an article saying, “Research over the last 30 years has consistently shown that diagnosable mental illness does not underlie most gun violence.”

Again Robtard, this isn't meant to say that you have implied that shootings are caused by mental illness. Just seeing your comment made me remember all the times I hear how we need to deal with mental health issues because another mass shooting happened. This doesn't help anyone and only makes mentally ill individuals appear as dangers to society.

Citations:
Where Does Evil Come From: https://www.dailywire.com/news/2180...ome-ben-shapiro

Mass Shooting and the Myth of the Violent Mentally Ill: https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/...nt-mentally-ill

Checking Facts and Falsehoods About Gun Violence and Mental Illness after Parkland Shooting: https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/16/...al-illness.html

Mass Shootings and Mental Illness: https://psychiatryonline.org/doi/pd...s.9781615371099
The Myth that Mental Illness causes Mass Shootings: http://behavioralscientist.org/myth...mass-shootings/

Old Post May 22nd, 2018 05:37 AM
Playmaker is currently offline Click here to Send Playmaker a Private Message Find more posts by Playmaker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Flyattractor

Yep...

Old Post May 22nd, 2018 05:53 AM
Flyattractor is currently offline Click here to Send Flyattractor a Private Message Find more posts by Flyattractor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Emperordmb
LSDMB

Already tore through the attempted racializing of this shit here:
Originally posted by Emperordmb
I have to draw attention to this so-called double standard, because while some people undoubtedly would hold it at the point of prejudice, there is a principled manner to explain the difference in response to these situations, based on the proposed policy solutions.

Firstly, I'll agree with you that if its a home grown terrorist, using the emotional appeal of a tragedy to propose immigration policy that wouldn't have actually done anything to prevent the tragedy is pretty disgusting, and I take the same issue with this as when people use a mass shooting to bloviate about gun control policies that wouldn't have actually prevented the tragedy and characterize political adversaries as unfeeling towards the victims. I think both debates can be had without substanceless naked emotional appeals used as character attacks.

Onto the point about proposed immigration policy however, I'm a Lockean Liberal, and as detailed in the social contract, the primary function of the state, of government, is to protect the life liberty and property of its constituents. This is the primary obligation the government has, and it is towards its own citizens, whereas those seeking to immigrate into a country are being extended a privilege. It is the purpose of the state to protect the rights of its constituents, whereas the sovereign state is more at liberty to decide who and who doesn't get to enter its borders.

Lastly to the point of condemning Islam, if a Muslim commits a terrorist attack shouting "Allahu Akbar," if anyone commits a terrorist attack, a mass killing clearly motivated by ideological and political motivations, it is completely relevant to discuss and address the ideological motivations behind the act of terror.

Again, time for another concession. Though I'm no longer a leftist or centrist and consider myself an economically right-wing classical liberal, I'll make no secret of the fact that I think the republican attitude towards criminal justice is retarded, as I'm more in line with thinking that prison should be based more around justice than rehabilitation, and I find the standards of prisons quite frankly inhumane.

That being said, the policy solutions being proposed here are a greater enforcement and vigilance of existing laws in areas with a high rate of violent crime, so in other words acting out laws that already exist. Even if I disagree with increasing sentencing, it's also policy localized to those convicted as guilty of crime, and yes if a black person or white person commits acts of violence and murder than they're thugs.

Then of course if this murder was a form of gang violence, again there's a cultural element directly tied into the motivation of the crime worth critiquing and addressing.

If a white person goes lone wolf and shoots a bunch of people up, not as a member of a gang, not with an expressed ideological motivation, then how are their motivations supposed to be spoken of or addressed in the same way one would address the culture in certain communities or ideological grounds for a terror attack?

Also, people are more hesitant to pursue policy solutions, because the proposed policy solutions invariably involve encroaching on the liberties and property rights of the citizens of the state, to whom the government's primary role is to protect these rights.

The problem I have with your comparisons here is that these are false equivalencies. I don't think you're being intentionally disingenuous, let me clarify that much, since I'm aware of how this comparison looks on the surface when taken at face value, and won't deny that some people might hold this array of views through a prejudicial lens. Let me also say that I agree that using a terrorist tragedy to push immigration reform that wouldn't have prevented it is something I find disagreeable and contemptible. Also though I agree with Trump on immigration regarding that it should be more based on merit than diversity, I think his ideas for a wall and travel ban are retarded. And once again I'm not a proponent of republican stances on prisons and prison sentencing.

Once again though, these are false equivalencies and you can hold these views from a point of ideological consistency.

Firstly on the point of addressing the motives, if a Muslim commits an act of Islamic terror or a black person commits an act of gang violence, then the relevant ideological or cultural motivations are much more apparent and on the table for discussion. If some white guy, or person of any color, just up and decides to commit mass murder with no indication of an ideological motivation, then there's not really a place to have a legitimate discussion on the ideological or cultural motivation beyond speculation.

Secondly, on the point of taking action through policy, again there's a clear distinction to be made. The policy proposal towards Mexican or Muslim violence is immigration reform, the rescinding or tightening of a privilege extended to people outside of the sovereign state with the motivation of protecting the state's constituents who the government functionally has a greater obligation to. The policy proposal towards the black violence you've mentioned is more enforcement of already existing laws in areas with higher crime rates. The "white person" example is the only example you've provided where the proposed policy solution surrounding the tragedy, rather than being immigration reform or enforcement of existing laws, constitutes invariably encroaching on the liberties and property rights of the states constituent citizens to whom its primary obligation is to protect their rights.

The policies themselves can be honestly debated for each of these issues, but to suggest a lack of addressing the motivation for a murderer whose ideological motivations aren't apparent, or to suggest a refusal or hesitancy to pursue policy that includes encroaching on ones own liberties and those of the nation's citizens, to suggest that these things in conjunction with the other views you've mentioned inherently constitute some racial double standard and point of hypocrisy is something I simply can't agree with you on.

Shadilay my brothers and sisters. With any luck we will throw off the shackles of normie oppression. We have nothing to lose but our chains! Praise Kek!
THE MOTTO IS "IN KEK WE TRUST"

Old Post May 22nd, 2018 05:57 AM
Emperordmb is currently offline Click here to Send Emperordmb a Private Message Find more posts by Emperordmb Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
DarthPlaguis12
Restricted

Account Restricted

How bout....if the cops had done their jobs the last few shootings would have been avoided. Wtf does race have to do with anything

Old Post May 22nd, 2018 10:57 AM
DarthPlaguis12 is currently offline Click here to Send DarthPlaguis12 a Private Message Find more posts by DarthPlaguis12 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Wonder Man
Most Powerful Avenger

Would a person care if they're baby was black or white? A father doesn't care if the child his wife bearing is black or white and should never give the decision even the least consideration.
That is why this is about race.

Ion: Sub-Atomic Power

Old Post May 22nd, 2018 02:40 PM
Wonder Man is currently offline Click here to Send Wonder Man a Private Message Find more posts by Wonder Man Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Flyattractor

Is it time we started a Mass Shootings in Europe Thread yet?

Or do those still not happen there?

Old Post May 22nd, 2018 07:28 PM
Flyattractor is currently offline Click here to Send Flyattractor a Private Message Find more posts by Flyattractor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Emperordmb
LSDMB

Originally posted by Wonder Man
Would a person care if they're baby was black or white? A father doesn't care if the child his wife bearing is black or white and should never give the decision even the least consideration.
That is why this is about race.

I mean if I marry a white woman, and she gets pregnant, and the child comes out black... I'd be pretty pissed lol

Shadilay my brothers and sisters. With any luck we will throw off the shackles of normie oppression. We have nothing to lose but our chains! Praise Kek!
THE MOTTO IS "IN KEK WE TRUST"

Old Post May 22nd, 2018 07:37 PM
Emperordmb is currently offline Click here to Send Emperordmb a Private Message Find more posts by Emperordmb Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

Originally posted by Playmaker
I know you didn't imply this or anything, but I've been seeing it once again about the idea that mental illness is evil or just leads to mass shooting. So this isn't aimed towards you but you did indirectly bring up the point that gets lugged around

Who are you, what was your previous account? You're obviously not new.

You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Old Post May 22nd, 2018 07:37 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

I mean if I marry a white woman, and she gets pregnant, and the child comes out black... I'd be pretty pissed lol

I assume you're coming from the angle that she cheated on you and you were cuckolded.

But what if the child is Black and still biologically yours? Just recessive Black genes in both you and your wife that came to the fore. While very rare, it has happened before.

Old Post May 22nd, 2018 07:39 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Flyattractor

What a racist comment.

Old Post May 22nd, 2018 07:40 PM
dadudemon

I assume you're coming from the angle that she cheated on you and you were cuckolded.

But what if the child is Black and still biologically yours? Just recessive Black genes in both you and your wife that came to the fore. While very rare, it has happened before.

That could happen-ish if I married another Italian woman whose family is also originally from southern Italy. no expression

Old Post May 22nd, 2018 08:22 PM
dadudemon is currently offline Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

Originally posted by dadudemon
That could happen-ish if I married another Italian woman whose family is also originally from southern Italy. no expression

We could do it together, how do you feel about stretch marks around your tummy, thighs and butthole

On topic, hearing the Texas shooter did this because a girl spurned his advances? This another murdering incel incident?

Old Post May 22nd, 2018 08:28 PM
Playmaker
Mozart and the Whale

At the very least I'm sure you'd have some questions for her.

Old Post May 22nd, 2018 08:39 PM
Playmaker is currently offline Click here to Send Playmaker a Private Message Find more posts by Playmaker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dadudemon

We could do it together, how do you feel about stretch marks around your tummy, thighs and butthole

That reminds me of this joke:

The first time I saw this...lost it. So much top kek.

Old Post May 22nd, 2018 09:03 PM
dadudemon is currently offline Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

Originally posted by dadudemon
That reminds me of this joke:

The first time I saw this...lost it. So much top kek.

LOL, love that clip.

Norquist's reaction is priceless.

Old Post May 22nd, 2018 09:14 PM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

Originally posted by BackFire
LOL, love that clip.

Norquist's reaction is priceless.

Pretty sure he was turned on and trying his closeted best to hide it

Old Post May 22nd, 2018 09:32 PM
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by DarthPlaguis12
I know what could have stopped the last few shootings....lazy cops actually doing their jobs

I know what could have stopped the last shooting.

Something.

Old Post May 23rd, 2018 02:34 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Well there goes that talking point:

No, Chicago’s Gun Violence Is Not Because of Other States | A Gun Control Debunk

#DoSomething

Old Post May 25th, 2018 05:06 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
MythLord
Diamond

Send that poor man your thoughts and prayers.

"Hello, Starlight."

Old Post May 25th, 2018 05:30 PM
MythLord is currently offline Click here to Send MythLord a Private Message Find more posts by MythLord Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote