KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Mass Shootings in America Thread

Mass Shootings in America Thread
Started by: Robtard

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (263): « First ... « 188 189 [190] 191 192 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote: (post)
Originally posted by BackFire
Did he buy it in Maryland?

Yes.

Old Post Aug 29th, 2018 08:43 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

Well it seems whatever law they have there wasn't followed, then.

Old Post Aug 29th, 2018 08:45 PM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Apparently it is possible to be granted a waiver by a doctor, but we don't know if that happened yet.

Old Post Aug 29th, 2018 08:52 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire

Well I hope not. It's one thing for a person on anti depressants to be given a waiver by a doctor, but if they're on full blow anti psychotics then that's a bridge too far.

It's possible this was just another "he fell through the cracks, whoops" situation where the system just missed him.

Old Post Aug 29th, 2018 08:54 PM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Which then begs the question: if we can't even enforce the laws we have...is adding even more laws the solution?

Old Post Aug 29th, 2018 08:56 PM
BackFire

I don't think adding new laws should be dependent on the success of current laws. Any potential new laws should be addressed and debated on their own merits.

Old Post Aug 29th, 2018 08:59 PM
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

I don't think adding new laws should be dependent on the success of current laws. Any potential new laws should be addressed and debated on their own merits.

And I'm sure you also agree that it's silly to discuss new laws when a lot of the failings of the system have to do with a lack of enforcement of the ones we have.

Let's enforce the laws we have and see what happens, and *then* we can judge if a new law is needed.

Old Post Aug 29th, 2018 09:09 PM
BackFire

Isn't that basically what we're doing? It's not like any new sweeping gun laws are being passed. It gets talked about after every major shooting, but then in a week it's forgotten for a month or two until the next one happens.

Old Post Aug 29th, 2018 09:13 PM
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Isn't that basically what we're doing? It's not like any new sweeping gun laws are being passed. It gets talked about after every major shooting, but then in a week it's forgotten for a month or two until the next one happens.

Indeed, but for some it's not enough.

Old Post Aug 29th, 2018 09:26 PM
dadudemon

Originally posted by Surtur
Apparently it is possible to be granted a waiver by a doctor, but we don't know if that happened yet.

Well I hope not. It's one thing for a person on anti depressants to be given a waiver by a doctor, but if they're on full blow anti psychotics then that's a bridge too far.

It's possible this was just another "he fell through the cracks, whoops" situation where the system just missed him.

The Texas church shooter was dishonorably discharged and should have been ineligible to purchase the guns he used in the shooting. The proper gun control policy was in place but there was a clerical error.

And in Japan - which has, from what I can find, the most strict and Draconian gun laws in out of any modern nation - does random home searches for people who have licenses for guns. Meaning, you get randomly inspected to see if you're properly storing your gun and not having unlicensed guns in the home.

However...and this is what confuses the hell out of me...these laws are only targeting law-abiding citizens, not the criminals.

Take the Texas church shooter, for example: suppose the system prevented him from buying guns because of the dishonorable discharge. So what? Then he can either steal a gun or make a gun. If he is determined to do an illegal thing, he can make it happen through illegal channels. As I posted about before, Japan has an illicit gun trade problem, too. They don't get special passes because they have extreme gun control laws. So if even Japan has a problem with illegal firearms, then what's to stop someone in the US from going on a mass shooting? The gun control laws do little to nothing to stop gun violence. Not in Japan. Not in the US. They mostly target law abiding citizens. That's stupid as hell.

If mass shootings are what we want to stop, great. Let's stop them. But more gun control is clearly not the answer.

Old Post Aug 29th, 2018 09:55 PM
dadudemon is currently offline Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire

But Japan has an extremely low number of gun deaths per year. So their gun control seems to be working on that front.

Old Post Aug 29th, 2018 10:03 PM
dadudemon

But Japan has an extremely low number of gun deaths per year. So their gun control seems to be working on that front.

I covered this in great detail, before. Before they (Japan) put in their Draconian gun laws, both times, their murder rates were already low and their murder rates actually went up after their gun laws were put in place.

I didn't test for statistical significance but it's possible there there is a correlation between their strict gun laws going in place and murder rates going up.

Old Post Aug 29th, 2018 10:14 PM
dadudemon is currently offline Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire

Do you remember what year they implemented their current laws?

Old Post Aug 29th, 2018 10:30 PM
Flyattractor

Does Japan have a much Large Sword Death then anyone else?

Old Post Aug 30th, 2018 05:52 AM
Flyattractor is currently offline Click here to Send Flyattractor a Private Message Find more posts by Flyattractor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
samhain
The Demon Hunter

Originally posted by Flyattractor
Does Japan have a much Large Sword Death then anyone else?

I imagine a lot of people in Japan die from Godzilla, Rodan and Mothra related deaths.

rolling on floor laughing smokin' messed

Old Post Aug 30th, 2018 12:22 PM
samhain is currently offline Click here to Send samhain a Private Message Find more posts by samhain Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Weird how we don't hear much about the texas church shooting. It had more victims than Parkland.

I wonder why? Does anyone care to offer up any theories?

Obviously someone from the NRA ending up stopping the shooter isn't the reason it was ignored. Granted, lil Davey Hogg got more interviews than that hero buuut...still.

Old Post Aug 30th, 2018 12:51 PM
dadudemon

Do you remember what year they implemented their current laws?

quote:
1958 and 1993:

Homicides in 1957:

Homicides in 1958:

Homicides in 1959:

Here are the facts: gun control laws did not lower homicides in Japan. There was a rise in homicides shortly after gun control laws were beefed up in 1993, not a drop. Homicides have increased, not decreased, recently (despite a drop in gun homicides over decades). Homicides were already on the decline in Japan before the gun law revamp in 1993.

This is the most important take away:

Q: Did homicides go down after strict gun control laws went into place in Japan?
A: No. And despite the downwards trend, they went up for a few years after strict gun control laws went into place. This happened in 1958 and 1993.

Q: Did the gun control laws in Japan affect homicide trends?
A: No, not at all. There is no correlation and even a slight negative correlation which should be concerning.

Q: Should we use Japan as a great example of how Ultra Strict Gun Control Laws reduce homicides?
A: No. The data does not fit. If we are to use Japan as an example of whether or not ultra strict gun control reduces homicide, we can only conclude it does not.

Old Post Aug 30th, 2018 02:54 PM
Flyattractor

Originally posted by samhain
I imagine a lot of people in Japan die from Godzilla, Rodan and Mothra related deaths.

I hear you can kill people in Japan just by writing their names in books. Japan should ban all books to . JUST TO BE SAFE!

Old Post Aug 30th, 2018 06:05 PM
Flyattractor is currently offline Click here to Send Flyattractor a Private Message Find more posts by Flyattractor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Flyattractor
I hear you can kill people in Japan just by writing their names in books. Japan should ban all books to . JUST TO BE SAFE!

One thing they don't die a lot from in Japan is islamic terrorism.

Old Post Aug 30th, 2018 06:06 PM
Flyattractor

Originally posted by Surtur
One thing they don't die a lot from in Japan is islamic terrorism.

I bet it is because they put egg on literally EVERYTHING in Japan. Islamics Hate Eggs! Its their Kryptonite.

Originally posted by samhain

I wonder how many die charghing Godzilla while holding swords.

Old Post Aug 30th, 2018 06:13 PM