KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » 16000 Scientists from 184 Countries Publish Dire Warning to Humanity

16000 Scientists from 184 Countries Publish Dire Warning to Humanity
Started by: Firefly218

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (6): « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Kurk
Restricted

Account Restricted

We need to accept that:

1.) It's pretty much irreversible or close to it. Do all the renewable energy you want but you're only buying some time. Titanic was going to sink even if they tried to pump out the water to buy minutes.

2.) You cannot force developing countries to embrace renewable energy. Many don't have the infrastructure, the money, the compatibility in general. It would hurt their economies and no government will accept that.

"Technology equals might!" "Evolve or perish"

Old Post Nov 16th, 2017 05:38 PM
Kurk is currently offline Click here to Send Kurk a Private Message Find more posts by Kurk Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

Cept Kurk, your little story would have been more accurate if some sciencer on board kept telling Captain Smith that the Titanic was on a disastrous course and needed correction and the Capt'n kept saying "nope, that's a Chinese hoax, we're fine, we're in god's hands!"

Deniers turned "oh well, too late now" are the worst.

You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Old Post Nov 16th, 2017 05:50 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dadudemon

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Robtard
Cept Kurk, your little story would have been more accurate if some sciencer on board kept telling Captain Smith that the Titanic was on a disastrous course and needed correction and the Capt'n kept saying "nope, that's a Chinese hoax, we're fine, we're in god's hands!"

Deniers turned "oh well, too late now" are the worst.

Nah, that's not happening. I think you and others are confusing deniers with people that are on an even further path.

So I would organize it like this:

1. Climate Change Deniers:
Climate change is not humanity's fault or it is not happening.

2. The Apathetics:
Climate Change doesn't affect us in a meaningful way, it doesn't matter, or there's nothing we can do about it.

3. Climate Change Supporters:
We need to do things before it becomes a disaster to prevent huge problems in the future.

4. Disaster Recovery:
We've already passed the point of no return and we need to deal with this fact and figure out what we can do to mitigate the damage/loss of life.

The deniers didn't jump from slot 1 all the way to slot 4. It's people in slot 3 realizing (scientists and some progressive pundits) we f***ed up for far too long.

The mistake you're making is similar to the mistake deniers have been making: insulting and throwing on ad hominems to ignore group 4. You're trying to dilute or even discard their message because it's an uncomfortable thought that it's too late. This is exactly what the deniers did to group 3 for years.

Also, the Titanic example:

This is how it really would be by the 4 groups I made, above:

Scenario:
The Titanic has already hit the iceberg, is sinking, has already broken in half, and the last half is 90% sunk.

1. Climate Change Deniers: There is no iceberg. The ship is fine. You're just trying to scare the rest of us.
2. The Apathetics: I don't care if we hit an iceberg. It doesn't affect me.
3. Climate Change Supporters: We are about to hit an iceberg and if we don't turn this ship around, we will have a catastrophy.
4. Disaster Recovery: WTF is wrong with all of you! This f***ing boat is sinking! We need to figure out how to save the most lives before all of us die!

In general, people only move from one strata to another: rarely jumping a strata. Meaning, someone in 1 will move to 2 or someone from 3 may be convinced to move to 2. What you suggest, that people are jumping from 1 all the way to 4, is completely absurd. There's probably at least 1 person who has done that, sure. But the amount of whiplash a person who have to undergo is absurd. I've seen no one like that, anywhere.

Old Post Nov 16th, 2017 06:22 PM
dadudemon is currently offline Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Stigma
Herald of the Judgement

BTW how can one even deny the climate is changing, given that it is observable? I mean, it is always changing.

The questions that should be asked, however, are as follows: In what ways it is changing? Why? And can we do something about it?

IMHO It's past the point of no return, I say make sure dealing with pollution is number one priority.

There are huge countries like China that already experience devastating results of pollution. Also, **** off from the Amazon.

Old Post Nov 16th, 2017 06:35 PM
Stigma is currently offline Click here to Send Stigma a Private Message Find more posts by Stigma Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

They're intertwining. The Climate Change that is the issue to humanity is caused due to pollution, so the same people denying Climate Change are in turn denying measure that would reduce pollution.

edit: There's at least one Climate Change thread in here and we had outright deniers, in regards to man causing it/pollution and negative impacts

Last edited by Robtard on Nov 16th, 2017 at 06:45 PM

Old Post Nov 16th, 2017 06:41 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Stigma
Herald of the Judgement

Right.

What I meant is this, if we are past the point of no return (as DDM pointed out ealier), then we should focus on (for the lack of the better term) damage control.

Old Post Nov 16th, 2017 06:45 PM
Stigma is currently offline Click here to Send Stigma a Private Message Find more posts by Stigma Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

Well yes, but damage control is what the "we need to act now" people have been saying all along...

Old Post Nov 16th, 2017 06:47 PM
Beniboybling
Worst Member

Originally posted by dadudemon
Oh, really? Have you been paying attention at all in this thread or are you just trolling? Or perhaps you're an idiot? Maybe a bit of it all?

You do know it's TOO LATE, right? If we wanted to do something about this, we needed to do it 20 years ago.
No it's not too late, global warming is an on-going process directly resultant of our own activities, should we fail to act now or in the future, the situation will only get worse, less manageable, and more expensive. It is therefore in our direct interests to "do something about this", in fact it's an imperative.

This is a very simply thing to understand. sad

quote:
Oh really? I said that, eh? Quote it. smile
Nothing we can do about that at this point, actually. Not sure why we focus so hard on that.
Sorry if I misinterpreted, but this statement seemed to encourage inaction.

quote:
Okay, Benibuttplug.

You're rather dumb for having 20+ year old arguments and concerns and then trying to shit-shame people who actually care about the environment.
Sorry for calling a spade a spade dadungdrops, but you are an egit.

quote:
Great, you want to stop our greenhouse gas problems. Wonderful! So where's your global CO2 recapturing machine? Oh, right, technology doesn't exist and we are 20 years too late to stop this shittrain.
In development, should it only receive proper funding.

Nonetheless, try to understand that an inability to reverse the damage isn't an argument for doing nothing to prevent it getting worse.

But yes, we have the technology. thumb up

quote:
You do know that the Earth was going to warm, anyway, right? We've just greatly sped up the timeline a few hundreds to a few thousand years.
I'll let Lord Lucien speak for me on this one, because it's f*cking funny:
Originally posted by Lord Lucien
The 6th mass extinction is underway, we may as well go hard now and kill as much of the diversity of life as possible. We should also finish off what we started in the rainforests--cut all of them down and replace them with strip mines and farms.

And those polar ice caps aren't going to melt themselves. They need our help so that they can raise sea levels and force hundreds of millions of people to flee diminishing coastlines. Then we can look back on the comparatively insignificant refugee crisis of the early 21st century with whimsical nostalgia.

But don't take our jawbs.
quote:
So why you stick to your petty virtue signaling and pretend righteous indignation, the rest of us are going to be in reality, accepting that we've ****ed up and then trying to influence policy that saves the most lives.

"Derpy derpy, you don't care about hoomans! Derpy dooooo!" laughing
Point out to me where I virtue signalled darling, or demonstrated "pretend righteous indignation", I simply called you an idiot, because that is how you are behaving. sad

Nonetheless it just so happens that policies aimed at global warming happen to fit that life saving formula. So what's your strategy?

Old Post Nov 16th, 2017 07:32 PM
Beniboybling is currently offline Click here to Send Beniboybling a Private Message Find more posts by Beniboybling Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Beniboybling
Worst Member

Originally posted by Kurk
2.) You cannot force developing countries to embrace renewable energy. Many don't have the infrastructure, the money, the compatibility in general. It would hurt their economies and no government will accept that.
This is funny because its the opposite of the truth.
quote:
Renewable energy technology has sometimes been seen as a costly luxury item by critics, and affordable only in the affluent developed world. This erroneous view has persisted for many years, but 2015 was the first year when investment in non-hydro renewables, was higher in developing countries, with $156 billion invested, mainly in China, India, and Brazil.[1]

Most developing countries have abundant renewable energy resources, including solar energy, wind power, geothermal energy, and biomass, as well as the ability to manufacture the relatively labor-intensive systems that harness these. By developing such energy sources developing countries can reduce their dependence on oil and natural gas, creating energy portfolios that are less vulnerable to price rises. In many circumstances, these investments can be less expensive than fossil fuel energy systems.[2]

In isolated rural areas, electricity grid extensions are often not economical. Off‐grid renewable technologies provide a sustainable and cost‐effective alternative to the diesel generators that would be otherwise be deployed in such areas. Renewable technologies can also help to displace other unsustainable energy sources such as kerosene lamps and traditional biomass.[3]

Kenya is the world leader in the number of solar power systems installed per capita (but not the number of watts added). More than 30,000 small solar panels, each producing 12 to 30 watts, are sold in Kenya annually. Kenya was the first African country to use geothermal power, and still has the largest installed capacity of geothermal power in Africa at 200 MW, with a potential of up to 10 GW.[4]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Renew...oping_countries

And isn't it interesting that besides the country in the middle of a civil war, the only one that failed to sign the Paris Accords (which was supported by developing countries around the world) was the one with the most wealth and infrastructure on the planet.

Old Post Nov 16th, 2017 07:40 PM
Beniboybling is currently offline Click here to Send Beniboybling a Private Message Find more posts by Beniboybling Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dadudemon

Originally posted by Robtard
They're intertwining. The Climate Change that is the issue to humanity is caused due to pollution, so the same people denying Climate Change are in turn denying measure that would reduce pollution.

1. The term you're looking for is anthropogenic climate change.
2. Your statement is non sequitur and, in fact, I would posit that not a single climate change denier would, in turn, deny measures to reduce pollution.

Old Post Nov 16th, 2017 07:42 PM
dadudemon is currently offline Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dadudemon

Originally posted by Stigma
Right.

What I meant is this, if we are past the point of no return (as DDM pointed out ealier), then we should focus on (for the lack of the better term) damage control.

Right, which is why I've termed it "Disaster Recovery" because the disaster has already started, we cannot turn it back, we need to figure out how to deal with it.

Old Post Nov 16th, 2017 07:43 PM
Kurk
Restricted

Account Restricted

Why doesn't Beni empty his bank account on converting his home's power-grid to solar or whatever? I'm sure he's running his house off of coal-powered energy right now. Or should the government do it for him?

Old Post Nov 16th, 2017 07:53 PM
Kurk is currently offline Click here to Send Kurk a Private Message Find more posts by Kurk Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dadudemon

Originally posted by Beniboybling
No it's not too late, global warming is an on-going process directly resultant of our own activities, should we fail to act now or in the future, the situation will only get worse, less manageable, and more expensive. It is therefore in our direct interests to "do something about this", in fact it's an imperative.

This is a very simply thing to understand. sad

You just don't understand.

It's too late. Reducing or even eliminating every last bit of our green house gas emissions won't prevent the already forward marching progress of anthropogenic climate change. Why don't you understand this? There WAS a threshold. Was. But we passed that a long time ago.

Sorry if I misinterpreted, but this statement seemed to encourage inaction.

You didn't quote it. You took a statement out of context, on purpose. You have an agenda and you're on a troll-tirade.

Read this from the same post:

We need to focus more on making the world cleaner for all life to live in, at this point. As a secondary benefit, green house gas emissions would also be reduced.

Hmm, seems you glossed over this from the same damn post. lol Trolltit

Sorry for calling a spade a spade dadungdrops, but you are an egit.

Sorry you mislabel things and are butthurt.

In development, should it only receive proper funding.

So where's your global CO2 recapturing machine? Oh, right, technology doesn't exist

Nonetheless, try to understand that an inability to reverse the damage isn't an argument for doing nothing to prevent it getting worse.

It's too late. Reducing or even eliminating every last bit of our green house gas emissions won't prevent the already forward marching progress of anthropogenic climate change. Why don't you understand this? There WAS a threshold. Was. But we passed that a long time ago.

But yes, we have the technology. thumb up

No we don't. no expression

Now you're resorting to lying, eh?

I'll let Lord Lucien speak for me on this one, because it's f*cking funny:
Point out to me where I virtue signalled darling, or demonstrated "pretend righteous indignation", I simply called you an idiot, because that is how you are behaving. sad

Every last post you've made on this topic. Go back and read your posts.

Nonetheless it just so happens that policies aimed at global warming happen to fit that life saving formula. So what's your strategy?

Oh? Policies targeting green house gas emissions are going to stop and reverse global warming? And you called me an idiot?

Poor troll. sad Your games are so dumb you can't even keep your game straight.

So, I'm strongly considering ignoring your troll posts from now on. You're definitely a troll. I've seen your posts to others. You're worse that PVS.

Last edited by dadudemon on Nov 16th, 2017 at 07:59 PM

Old Post Nov 16th, 2017 07:54 PM
dadudemon

Right, which is why I've termed it "Disaster Recovery" because the disaster has already started, we cannot turn it back, we need to figure out how to deal with it.

INB4 "carbon pollution"

Old Post Nov 16th, 2017 07:58 PM
dadudemon

And isn't it interesting that besides the country in the middle of a civil war, the only one that failed to sign the Paris Accords (which was supported by developing countries around the world) was the one with the most wealth and infrastructure on the planet.

Right, indeed.

Everyone aboard the "shame to participate", train.

Will reducing our green house gas emissions stop where we are, right now? We can talk about the Paris Agreement, for sure. Maybe a new thread?

What does it actually DO besides provide feel goods? Does it stop the Disaster of extreme climate change that's currently taking place?

Old Post Nov 16th, 2017 08:02 PM
Beniboybling
Worst Member

Originally posted by Kurk
Why doesn't Beni empty his bank account on converting his home's power-grid to solar or whatever? I'm sure he's running his house off of coal-powered energy right now. Or should the government do it for him?
In which the smart baby man resorts to strawman because he knows he's wrong.

Old Post Nov 16th, 2017 08:37 PM
Beniboybling
Worst Member

You just don't understand.

It's too late.
You're beginning to sound like one of those Christian doomsdayers you see holding signs on the streets, suffice so say your intellect is probably similar as well. sad

quote:
Reducing or even eliminating every last bit of our green house gas emissions won't prevent the already forward marching progress of anthropogenic climate change. Why don't you understand this? There WAS a threshold. Was. But we passed that a long time ago.
No it won't stop the planet from warming, but yes it would mitigate it, this is fact.

quote:
You didn't quote it. You took a statement out of context, on purpose. You have an agenda and you're on a troll-tirade.
Sorry, but I believe I was indeed using the quote function. But get madder.

quote:
Read this from the same post:

Hmm, seems you glossed over this from the same damn post. lol Trolltit
I'm sorry, but what is your point? You still advocated inaction in regards to global warming, did you not?

quote:
Sorry you mislabel things and are butthurt.
quote:
Get madder.

quote:
It's too late.
(please log in to view the image)

Regardless, any thoughts on that technology, aside from apathetic declarations of do nothingness? Does the real prospect removing all CO2 from the atmosphere really mean nothing to you?

quote:
No we don't. no expression

Now you're resorting to lying, eh?
U got me Dadoodoo. I am dead.

quote:
Every last post you've made on this topic. Go back and read your posts.
In other words, you resorted to lying. sad

quote:
Oh? Policies targeting green house gas emissions are going to stop and reverse global warming? And you called me an idiot?
A shitty attempt at strawman, I never once claimed we could stop or reverse global warming, but that indeed a "do nothing" approach is stupid and moronic.

quote:
Poor troll. sad Your games are so dumb you can't even keep your game straight.

So, I'm strongly considering ignoring your troll posts from now on. You're definitely a troll. I've seen your posts to others. You're worse that PVS.
quote:
Get madder.

Old Post Nov 16th, 2017 08:38 PM
Steve Zodiac
Restricted

Account Restricted

I remember reading Collapse by Jared Diamond, so much is coming true.

Old Post Nov 16th, 2017 08:39 PM
Steve Zodiac is currently offline Click here to Send Steve Zodiac a Private Message Find more posts by Steve Zodiac Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dadudemon

No it won't stop the planet from warming, but yes it would mitigate it, this is fact.

You're using the word "mitigate" incorrectly. It would, as fact, not mitigate it.

You're looking for "slightly reduce the speed at which it occurs."

I'm sorry, but what is your point? You still advocated inaction in regards to global warming, did you not?

Did you read my quote? You did. So why do you continue along this line of trolling?

Directly tackling greenhouse gas emissions is a lost cause. That's not "inaction" as you like to strawman.

Regardless, any thoughts on that technology, aside from apathetic declarations of do nothingness? Does the real prospect removing all CO2 from the atmosphere really mean nothing to you?

More strawman attempts? You sad pathetic person.

You're very upset.

Still waiting on that global green house gas reduction technology.

A shitty attempt at strawman, I never once claimed we could stop or reverse global warming, but that indeed a "do nothing" approach is stupid and moronic.

So your solution is to slow climate change, eh?

smile

Perfect. Wonderful.

Tell me how and to what extent. wink

Will you delay the current climate change forward progress by 1 year? What about 5? 100? And how do you plan to do that?

Now go back to pretending like I'm saying the sky is falling and that the end is nigh. Those petty strawman tactics are entertaining. Hint: it's too late. Sky has already fallen. It's time to pick the pieces up.

Old Post Nov 16th, 2017 08:47 PM
Kurk
Restricted

Account Restricted

In which the smart baby man resorts to strawman because he knows he's wrong.
I'm not arguing anything with you. It's a simple question. The doctor has to follow what they preach; why don't you?

Old Post Nov 16th, 2017 08:48 PM