KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Feminist researcher: Small desks cause 'hostile' environment for fat students

Feminist researcher: Small desks cause 'hostile' environment for fat students
Started by: Stigma

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (7): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Stigma
Herald of the Judgement

Feminist researcher: Small desks cause 'hostile' environment for fat students

This just in:

https://www.campusreform.org/?ID=10140

quote:
Heather Brown interviewed 13 fat women in college, finding that “classroom design and furniture,” especially “too-small desks,” not only make fat women feel “unwanted,” but also perpetuate “thin privilege and fat hatred.”

Brown argues that colleges “must make attempts to alleviate the damage a hostile physical environment causes to fat women learners,” suggesting renovating classrooms with “differently sized chairs and tables.”

Thoughts?

Old Post Nov 15th, 2017 06:54 PM
Stigma is currently offline Click here to Send Stigma a Private Message Find more posts by Stigma Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
snowdragon

Re: Feminist researcher: Small desks cause 'hostile' environment for fat students

double post

Old Post Nov 15th, 2017 06:55 PM
snowdragon is currently offline Click here to Send snowdragon a Private Message Find more posts by snowdragon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
snowdragon

Re: Feminist researcher: Small desks cause 'hostile' environment for fat students

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Stigma
This just in:

Thoughts?

Yeah, those women better never buy an airplane ticket in coach eek!

Also if they are that fat, lost some f-k-n weight. No need to cry to world that no one wants them, obviously fast food companies do.

Old Post Nov 15th, 2017 06:56 PM
snowdragon is currently offline Click here to Send snowdragon a Private Message Find more posts by snowdragon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kurk
Restricted

Account Restricted

Do Feminists think it's okay to be fat? Like from a health stand-point?

"Technology equals might!" "Evolve or perish"

Old Post Nov 15th, 2017 07:05 PM
Kurk is currently offline Click here to Send Kurk a Private Message Find more posts by Kurk Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
snowdragon

Originally posted by Kurk

It doesn't have anything to do with it being healthy or not, it's about accepting their lack of discipline while they stuff their bodies with to many calories. Happy Dance

Old Post Nov 15th, 2017 07:07 PM
dadudemon

Originally posted by Stigma
This just in:

Thoughts?

My thoughts are that Morbidly Obese people offend me and I am oppressed because of them. I am shamed for trying to be healthy, talked down to for working hard because I'm "just shallow"; and I have to endure their disgusting sweaty heavy breathing, medical system burdening, hate.

Every where I go, I feel oppression. Just seeing them existing, waddling around, offends me. It makes me feel sorry for the poor and destitute where whole families could survive off the shovels of food these morbidly obese people put into their bodies. Food is a drug for them. And they do not care about others or themselves.

Obviously, this whole post is satire. But it is satire laden with truths including the insults I receive for working out or eating healthier than some.

Old Post Nov 15th, 2017 07:08 PM
dadudemon is currently offline Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dadudemon

They shouldn't. They should be opposed to obesity because it removes rights and freedoms from women to be able to chose to do things their their male peers can do. It also limits their careers...which is just a terrible thing from a feminist's perspective.

Old Post Nov 15th, 2017 07:10 PM
dadudemon is currently offline Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

Re: Re: Feminist researcher: Small desks cause 'hostile' environment for fat students

Originally posted by dadudemon
the insults I receive for working out or eating healthier than some.

Extrapolate?

You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Old Post Nov 15th, 2017 07:12 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
snowdragon

Re: Re: Feminist researcher: Small desks cause 'hostile' environment for fat students

Obviously, this whole post is satire. But it is satire laden with truths including the insults I receive for working out or eating healthier than some.

I can hear it now:

Do you always pack your lunch and eat so healthy?
It must be so hard to workout all the time.
I just wouldn't want to live a life counting calories.
I can't eat around you, it makes me feel guilty.

Old Post Nov 15th, 2017 07:20 PM
dadudemon

Re: Re: Re: Feminist researcher: Small desks cause 'hostile' environment for fat students

Originally posted by Robtard
Extrapolate?

Among the many insults, here is one in the post you read:

talked down to for working hard because I'm "just shallow";

Including:

"You're such a gym bro."
"You're obsessed."
"Who has all the time to plan their meals. Do you not have a life?"
"That looks disgusting. And you eat that?"
"So X will bring Turkey, Y will bring Pie, and dadudemon is bringing a tub of protein to the potluck."

That last one was funny. I laughed.

But I'm not that big. Never have been. They just don't like the idea that they have to feel bad about being fat, out of shape, and lazy. So they deal with it by using "playful" insults.

"They are just messin', man. It's not big deal."

Replace these insults specific to gender, race, or religion. Oh, now we are talking, eh?

Old Post Nov 15th, 2017 07:22 PM
Stigma
Herald of the Judgement

That's very insensitive of you to insinuate! eek!

However, you may be onto something....

Old Post Nov 15th, 2017 07:31 PM
Stigma is currently offline Click here to Send Stigma a Private Message Find more posts by Stigma Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

Including:

"You're such a gym bro."
"You're obsessed."
"So X will bring Turkey, Y will bring Pie, and dadudemon is bringing a tub of protein to the potluck."

But I'm not that big. Never have been. They just don't like the idea that they have to feel bad about being fat, out of shape, and lazy. So they deal with it by using "playful" insults.

Replace these insults specific to gender, race, or religion. Oh, now we are talking, eh?

Weird, never really experienced that, maybe extremely minor, but if anything, I've been applauded for going to the gym/staying fit/having a good physique and applauded for the willpower it takes to eat healthy and not just snack on the readily available bad-for-you-but-delicious foods.

Maybe OK is just full of aholes?

Old Post Nov 15th, 2017 07:33 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Stigma
Herald of the Judgement

Re: Re: Re: Re: Feminist researcher: Small desks cause 'hostile' environment for fat students

Including:

"You're such a gym bro."
"You're obsessed."

TBH at first I thought you were being facetious, but holy ****.

Old Post Nov 15th, 2017 07:36 PM
Robtard
Senor Member

We can make "fitness-shaming" a thing,no problem, but are we really going to have a thread where fat-shaming really isn't a thing/problem? Cos...

Old Post Nov 15th, 2017 07:37 PM
Kurk
Restricted

Account Restricted

No one wants to go into health-care anymore because of stupid shit like this.

Old Post Nov 15th, 2017 07:38 PM
Kurk is currently offline Click here to Send Kurk a Private Message Find more posts by Kurk Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

No one wants to go into health-care anymore because of stupid shit like this.

Kurk, stop speaking nonsense. Healthcare industry/professions are rising, have been for some time and forecast to continue to rise.

Old Post Nov 15th, 2017 07:44 PM
snowdragon

We can make "fitness-shaming" a thing,no problem, but are we really going to have a thread where fat-shaming really isn't a thing/problem? Cos...

I am unfortunetly not very sympathetic to the plight of the obese UNLESS they are working to change that condition.

I'm sure it is a thing, it's a thing that was literally brought upon themselves by lack of discipline(most often.) Maybe the best answer is to just buy them bean bags and put a snack machine in the class to make them feel better.........

Seriously though, lose the weight to fit in a desk. The world doesn't need to upsize for obesity, they need to downsize to fit in with "normal" folks.

Old Post Nov 15th, 2017 07:53 PM
Kurk
Restricted

Account Restricted

Kurk, stop speaking nonsense. Healthcare industry/professions are rising, have been for some time and forecast to continue to rise.
Demand is going up because it's complete shit. Smart people don't go to medical school anymore. We just get dumbasses. I don't want nurse practioners and physician assistants replacing docs.

Who likes dealing with the problems of stupid people?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7UGraFUuQjA

Old Post Nov 15th, 2017 07:53 PM
dadudemon

Weird, never really experienced that, maybe extremely minor, but if anything, I've been applauded for going to the gym/staying fit/having a good physique and applauded for the willpower it takes to eat healthy and not just snack on the readily available bad-for-you-but-delicious foods.

Maybe OK is just full of aholes?

Since I work with people and have worked with people, for over 10 years, from all over the US and all over the world, I disagree that it is an OK thing.

However, OKC is much fatter than San Fran.

19 on this list:

https://wallethub.com/edu/fattest-c...-america/10532/

So you may be onto something.

Old Post Nov 15th, 2017 07:58 PM
dadudemon

Fitness Shaming: stupid unless the person is harming themselves and others (Anorexia).

Fat Shaming: should be done just the same as smoking shaming or alcoholism shaming is done.

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/...tefully/267446/

quote:
People don't hate being fat enough, basically, according to Hastings Center bioethicist Daniel Callahan. In an editorial published in the Hastings Center Report, he argues that nothing -- not diets, drugs, sugeries, nor appeals to our health -- is working, and goes on to make the case for fat-shaming people until they start eating more salad.

"An edgier strategy is needed," is his (earnest and entirely devoid of irony) way of putting it.

The edgy strategy he came up with entails "social pressure combined with vigorous government action." Callahan likens it to the campaign to end smoking: The combination, in his experience, of being criticized, sent outside, and taxed for his "nasty habit" was the motivation he needed to quit.

"The force of being shamed and beat upon socially," he writes, "was as persuasive for me to stop smoking as the threats to my health."

Old Post Nov 15th, 2017 08:00 PM