KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Feminist researcher: Small desks cause 'hostile' environment for fat students

Feminist researcher: Small desks cause 'hostile' environment for fat students
Started by: Stigma

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (7): « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Raisen
I find it very interesting when some of the obese people I work with call me excessive and unhealthy for working out "too much" and "not eating enough"
these fat, young people that can barely breathe say this to me.

this is the environment we created however. i'm sure i'll get flak for it but saying fat is beautiful or whatever and making up all these catch phrases to condone this lifestyle is dangerous to the individual, to our children, and to our pockets via the health care system.

what a mess soft minded people have made

And I bet you those same people probably complain about fat shaming.

Old Post Nov 16th, 2017 12:01 AM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Raisen

Originally posted by Surtur
And I bet you those same people probably complain about fat shaming.

I can only speculate for the most part but life lessons have taught me you are probably right

Old Post Nov 16th, 2017 12:03 AM
Raisen is currently offline Click here to Send Raisen a Private Message Find more posts by Raisen Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Scribble

It's actually acceptable from what I've seen to say to skinny people "you need more pizza" or "someone get this guy/girl a burger!" now. I find it baffling how apparently it's okay to body shame skinny people or just, you know, just not fat people.

Old Post Nov 16th, 2017 12:07 AM
Scribble is currently offline Click here to Send Scribble a Private Message Find more posts by Scribble Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Scribble
It's actually acceptable from what I've seen to say to skinny people "you need more pizza" or "someone get this guy/girl a burger!" now. I find it baffling how apparently it's okay to body shame skinny people or just, you know, just not fat people.

I have no scientific evidence of this, but IMO when it comes to women they are more likely to be fat shamed by other women.

Old Post Nov 16th, 2017 12:10 AM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Scribble

I have no scientific evidence of this, but IMO when it comes to women they are more likely to be fat shamed by other women.
In person more than likely, but online (say Facebook, Twitter, photo-sharing platforms) you get droves of men who seem to think the Internet is their way of getting to say all the things they wouldn't in person

Old Post Nov 16th, 2017 12:19 AM
Scribble is currently offline Click here to Send Scribble a Private Message Find more posts by Scribble Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dadudemon

Right. Most men are just not dumb enough to fat shame a woman to her face.

smile

Old Post Nov 16th, 2017 12:24 AM
dadudemon is currently offline Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Scribble

Originally posted by dadudemon
Right. Most men are just not dumb enough to fat shame a woman to her face.

smile
Most men probably don't give that much of a shit as long as they've got a chance of getting laid.

Old Post Nov 16th, 2017 12:26 AM
dadudemon

Most men probably don't give that much of a shit as long as they've got a chance of getting laid.

Never me. Never ever.

If I can't easily pick a woman up for standing sex, she's far too fat.

Old Post Nov 16th, 2017 12:30 AM
dadudemon is currently offline Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

I see your point, but socially, being skinny isn't looked down upon like being fat it.

You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Old Post Nov 16th, 2017 12:33 AM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Scribble

Originally posted by Robtard
I see your point, but socially, being skinny isn't looked down upon like being fat it.
Sure, but that doesn't make normalisation of the other stuff okay. If people want to support anti-body shaming then they should at least be consistent and call out all examples of it.

Old Post Nov 16th, 2017 12:36 AM
Robtard
Senor Member

Sure, but that doesn't make normalisation of the other stuff okay. If people want to support anti-body shaming then they should at least be consistent and call out all examples of it.

Not really normalizing poor behavior when being seen as skinny is actually a positive though in many a scenario; someone has to look like Bale's character in The Mechanic before it's seen as a negative. While someone can be 15lbs (about 1stone) overweight (especially in cases of women) and they're "gross", "disgusting", "fatf--ks" etc. See?

Old Post Nov 16th, 2017 12:40 AM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by dadudemon
Never me. Never ever.

If I can't easily pick a woman up for standing sex, she's far too fat.

Btw peep the triggered thread.

Old Post Nov 16th, 2017 12:46 AM
Scribble

Not really normalizing poor behavior when being seen as skinny is actually a positive though in many a scenario; someone has to look like Bale's character in The Mechanic before it's seen as a negative. While someone can be 15lbs (about 1stone) overweight (especially in cases of women) and they're "gross", "disgusting", "fatf--ks" etc. See?
I don't really see that for skinny people, in fact, women in particular. I've seen even on this board people saying in the pics thread that skinny members should "have a burger" and stuff, and I've heard it in real life, too. I've lost a fair bit of weight recently myself and someone said that I was 'looking unhealthy, maybe I should eat more.' I haven't heard anyone be bullied for being fat since secondary (high) school. Yes, people speak about it generally/online, but personally (for whatever that is worth) I've seen more acceptance of being outright fat than being below-average-thin recently and that prospect concerns me.

Old Post Nov 16th, 2017 12:48 AM
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

I don't really see that for skinny people, in fact, women in particular. I've seen even on this board people saying in the pics thread that skinny members should "have a burger" and stuff, and I've heard it in real life, too. I've lost a fair bit of weight recently myself and someone said that I was 'looking unhealthy, maybe I should eat more.' I haven't heard anyone be bullied for being fat since secondary (high) school. Yes, people speak about it generally/online, but personally (for whatever that is worth) I've seen more acceptance of being outright fat than being below-average-thin recently and that prospect concerns me.

Indeed, they gotta have *some* meat on their bones.

Old Post Nov 16th, 2017 12:51 AM
Robtard
Senor Member

I don't really see that for skinny people, in fact, women in particular. I've seen even on this board people saying in the pics thread that skinny members should "have a burger" and stuff, and I've heard it in real life, too. I've lost a fair bit of weight recently myself and someone said that I was 'looking unhealthy, maybe I should eat more.' I haven't heard anyone be bullied for being fat since secondary (high) school. Yes, people speak about it generally/online, but personally (for whatever that is worth) I've seen more acceptance of being outright fat than being below-average-thin.

The one instance I remember was for a female member who was suffering from anorexia and indeed needed to eat, it was a legit health concern, not shaming her.

I'd also call what you describe happening to you as concern, unless they were mocking you? No different than when I've told certain overweight members that they should look into changing their lifestyle due to health concerns. As my point, you can talk to people about their weight issues without shaming them.

Old Post Nov 16th, 2017 12:52 AM
Scribble

The one instance I remember was for a female member who was suffering from anorexia and indeed needed to eat, it was a legit health concern, not shaming her.

I'd also call what you describe happening to you as concern, unless they were mocking you? No different than when I've told certain overweight members that they should look into changing their lifestyle due to health concerns. As my point, you can talk to people about their weight issues without shaming them.
Of course family members and close friends should be allowed to be concerned, that's more than fair. Looking out for those you care about it a great thing. If we're using my own example though you're mistaken, I was (just) overweight before (excess drinking/pizza) and now I'm much healthier, and they weren't a close relation, more of a family friend who I haven't met that many times. They are also overweight. So apparently that's okay? Being concerned for someone because they are no longer overweight? I've seen plenty of other examples but explaining it through a personal example is useful as I'm able to put across all of the sides to it much clearer.

Old Post Nov 16th, 2017 01:13 AM
snowdragon

So for example, I don't see Ashley Graham as being disgusting. She is to large for my tastes but I wouldn't shame her (or anyone really, I'm just not sympathetic to their situation.)

Alot of times how people present themselves also dictates the how people perceive and react to them. Please no sexytime crop tops/cut off jeans......

Old Post Nov 16th, 2017 01:39 AM
snowdragon is currently offline Click here to Send snowdragon a Private Message Find more posts by snowdragon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by snowdragon
So for example, I don't see Ashley Graham as being disgusting. She is to large for my tastes but I wouldn't shame her (or anyone really, I'm just not sympathetic to their situation.)

Alot of times how people present themselves also dictates the how people perceive and react to them. Please no sexytime crop tops/cut off jeans......

Wait, her?

(please log in to view the image)

Old Post Nov 16th, 2017 03:21 AM
Adam_PoE

Let me tell you what's not going to happen:

"Brown argues that colleges 'must make attempts to alleviate the damage a hostile physical environment causes to fat women learners,' suggesting renovating classrooms with "differently sized chairs and tables."

Old Post Nov 16th, 2017 03:33 AM
Adam_PoE is currently offline Click here to Send Adam_PoE a Private Message Find more posts by Adam_PoE Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
snowdragon

Wait, her?

(please log in to view the image)

Yeah, she's a little thick for my tastes

Old Post Nov 16th, 2017 03:44 AM
snowdragon is currently offline Click here to Send snowdragon a Private Message Find more posts by snowdragon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote