KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Religion Forum » Jordan Peterson - The Problem With Atheism

Jordan Peterson - The Problem With Atheism
Started by: Stigma

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): « 1 2 [3]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Josh_Alexander
Keeper of Cosmic Balance

quote: (post)
Originally posted by NewGuy01
Right.

Morality is but the outcome of the ideologies of Religion.

Morality are the rules stablished by Religion. If you don't believe in Religion, you shouldn't believe in it's rules neither.

Animals aren't immoral! They are the perfect example of an Atheist (Since they don't believe in Religion because they can't).

P.D. Don't take offense for saying Animals are good Atheists. I mean no offense.

Old Post Nov 18th, 2017 12:18 AM
Josh_Alexander is currently offline Click here to Send Josh_Alexander a Private Message Find more posts by Josh_Alexander Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NewGuy01
perpetual

Originally posted by Josh_Alexander
Morality is but the outcome of the ideologies of Religion.

Wrong.

quote:
Morality are the rules stablished by Religion. If you don't believe in Religion, you shouldn't believe in it's rules neither.

No, but that doesn't mean I don't believe in any rules. Hell, I could come up with my own rules, and it would still be a moral code, religion or no.

quote:
Animals aren't immoral! They are the perfect example of an Atheist.

Right.

Old Post Nov 18th, 2017 01:19 AM
NewGuy01 is currently offline Click here to Send NewGuy01 a Private Message Find more posts by NewGuy01 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Josh_Alexander
Keeper of Cosmic Balance

Originally posted by NewGuy01
Wrong.

No, but that doesn't mean I don't believe in any rules. Hell, I could come up with my own rules, and it would still be a moral code, religion or no.

Right.

Eh....yeah. However the current laws are based on the Moral concept of Religion.

If you dont believe in God then you can create your own moral rules.

Old Post Nov 18th, 2017 01:55 AM
Josh_Alexander is currently offline Click here to Send Josh_Alexander a Private Message Find more posts by Josh_Alexander Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Rockydonovang
freedom fighter

"god is the moral foundation of our culture"

No, he isn't.

Our culture has become more ethical as we've seperated ourselves from god. The West's 'ethics" have been based on a gradual seperation of the church and a state.

And religion isn't "transcendent", it's based on very fallible human beings' perceptions.

Aitheism is simply a lack of belief in god, it doesn't remotely preclude you from creating your meaning to base your virtues off. As we are naturally social beings, it's natural we would opt to cooperate rather than kill each other.

Religion did not create morality, the morals religion instills were morals that existed well before the religions existed. The morals of a religion are based on the morals of the people who create the religion, not the concept of god itself.

There simply isn't anything morally off about athiesim. And as society has shifted away from reliance on religion, we've become better more tolerant and moral people.

Not to mention that the whole, "do good and you get rewarded or do bad and get punished" is just as shallow as any material based morality.

Religious people have no business preaching to atheists about morality.

Last edited by Rockydonovang on Nov 18th, 2017 at 03:20 AM

Old Post Nov 18th, 2017 03:17 AM
Rockydonovang is currently offline Click here to Send Rockydonovang a Private Message Find more posts by Rockydonovang Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Emperordmb
LSDMB

My personal point of view is that there's a special type of religious regressivism and a special type of atheist regressivism, and certain specific benefits accrued to the best members of both groups. The idea that if everyone was religious or everyone was atheist we'd live in a noticeably better world is absolute nonsense IMO, and I think it'd get worse either of those ways tbh.

Shadilay my brothers and sisters. With any luck we will throw off the shackles of normie oppression. We have nothing to lose but our chains! Praise Kek!
THE MOTTO IS "IN KEK WE TRUST"

Old Post Nov 18th, 2017 03:50 AM
Emperordmb is currently offline Click here to Send Emperordmb a Private Message Find more posts by Emperordmb Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Rockydonovang
freedom fighter

morality can't be attributed to religion as morality exists with or without it. The use of reason and logic to better society can outright be attributed to athieism as it was unsubstatiated religious beliefs that was replaced by the use of logic and reason.

Society has become more tolerant and more advanced as religion has had less and less of an influence recently.

Stands to reason that as religion has less and less of an influence on sh!t, society will get better.

Last edited by Rockydonovang on Nov 18th, 2017 at 04:05 AM

Old Post Nov 18th, 2017 04:02 AM
Rockydonovang is currently offline Click here to Send Rockydonovang a Private Message Find more posts by Rockydonovang Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Stigma
Herald of the Judgement

Originally posted by Rockydonovang
morality can't be attributed to religion as morality exists with or without it.
It seems that to me that you, unknowingly I suppose, opened up a path to refute this point by using Peterson's reasoning. (which I share to some degree.)

I will address some points made in this thread soon.

In the meantime I must say I see a few necessary correctives concering some anthropological claims.

Old Post Nov 18th, 2017 10:50 AM
Stigma is currently offline Click here to Send Stigma a Private Message Find more posts by Stigma Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Patient_Leech
System Failure

Originally posted by socool8520
I agree that a notion of the afterlife at least, has been with us for awhile, but I don't think it has ultimately shaped our morality. It has been an influence, but I think survival and having to stick together influenced our cooperation, and ultimately, forced us to treat each other better. just my opinion though.
Originally posted by socool8520
That doesn't mean that god has to bring you there or it the influence of a god. It could just as easily be for cooperation's sake. The mutual benefit of working together to progress. no God needed.

Exactly. It's not just your opinion. It's really... fact. lol

And Peterson claims to be rooted in evolutionary theory and he totally misses this point. It's baffling.

Originally posted by Stigma
Still, that is not the claim made.

Cooperation is the way in which the ideal may have been realized. Say, for thousands of years by trial and error humanity got better and they reached a certain moral system.

It may be the case, sure. thumb up

What is said though, is that a moral ideal was a faundation for the process of developing that morality. Thus, this ideal is transcendent in itself.

Then he's making the claim that morality existed before everything else, just like God supposedly did. It's another unprovable claim and is therefore moot.

Is that why the Bible and Koran advocate rape and slavery? It's rooted in our evolutionary past for sure.. heh

Our culture has become more ethical as we've seperated ourselves from god. The West's 'ethics" have been based on a gradual seperation of the church and a state.

thumb up And religion isn't "transcendent", it's based on very fallible human beings' perceptions.

Yeah, in fact, with secular meditations atheism is far more capable of 'transcendence' than any fundamental religion. Anthropomorphized gods are obstacles to transcendence.

Religion did not create morality, the morals religion instills were morals that existed well before the religions existed. The morals of a religion are based on the morals of the people who create the religion, not the concept of god itself.

Religious people have no business preaching to atheists about morality.

thumb up

If there's a problem with atheism Jordan Peterson has not found it or at least has not articulated it effectively.

Old Post Nov 20th, 2017 03:12 PM
Patient_Leech is currently offline Click here to Send Patient_Leech a Private Message Find more posts by Patient_Leech Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Patient_Leech
System Failure

(please log in to view the image)

Attachment: patricia s. churchland.jpg
This has been downloaded 0 time(s).

Old Post Nov 20th, 2017 03:46 PM
Patient_Leech is currently offline Click here to Send Patient_Leech a Private Message Find more posts by Patient_Leech Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote