KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Sex scandals are we forgetting context?

Sex scandals are we forgetting context?
Started by: Steve Zodiac

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): « 1 [2]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
socool8520
Life's a garden, Dig it

^ While I'm sure you are correct that some of these allegations had less than cut and dry circumstances, it doesn't change the fact that the accused were piss poor people morally.

Old Post Nov 17th, 2017 08:28 PM
socool8520 is currently offline Click here to Send socool8520 a Private Message Find more posts by socool8520 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Steve Zodiac
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote: (post)
Originally posted by socool8520
^ While I'm sure you are correct that some of these allegations had less than cut and dry circumstances, it doesn't change the fact that the accused were piss poor people morally.

No doubt, but not the point I'm making.

Old Post Nov 17th, 2017 08:29 PM
Steve Zodiac is currently offline Click here to Send Steve Zodiac a Private Message Find more posts by Steve Zodiac Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
socool8520
Life's a garden, Dig it

I get you it's just that we can't ignore this based on a mutual benefit or whatever the case may be. Hopefully these accusation will change the way the game is played from now on at least for the most part. No quid pro quo and no victims.

Old Post Nov 17th, 2017 08:32 PM
socool8520 is currently offline Click here to Send socool8520 a Private Message Find more posts by socool8520 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Steve Zodiac
Restricted

Account Restricted

I get you it's just that we can't ignore this based on a mutual benefit or whatever the case may be. Hopefully these accusation will change the way the game is played from now on at least for the most part. No quid pro quo and no victims.
You see, I always worry about allegations which are historic. Sometimes they were swept under the carpet, sometimes the victim was scared, sometimes peoples memories are inaccurate and sometimes they never happened or are simply vindictive. Care and context should always be examined. I would hope that a damn good cross examination was carried out for any accuser, because the truth is the truth is the truth. Even if the accused was someone I find heinous like Donald Trump.

Old Post Nov 17th, 2017 08:34 PM
Steve Zodiac is currently offline Click here to Send Steve Zodiac a Private Message Find more posts by Steve Zodiac Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
socool8520
Life's a garden, Dig it

I agree. Never take the accusation at face value of course never assume they are lying either. I believe in the innocent until proven guilty system.

My point is, no one thinks that this type of stuff was going on, but now it is really out there in mass. my hope is that this changes the way we treat each other in Hollywood and in politics. These people believed they were untouchable given their position, but I hope this has at least scared future predators into acting appropriately.

Old Post Nov 17th, 2017 08:43 PM
Steve Zodiac
Restricted

Account Restricted

I agree. Never take the accusation at face value of course never assume they are lying either. I believe in the innocent until proven guilty system.

My point is, no one thinks that this type of stuff was going on, but now it is really out there in mass. my hope is that this changes the way we treat each other in Hollywood and in politics. These people believed they were untouchable given their position, but I hope this has at least scared future predators into acting appropriately.
As DDM implied who is the Predator? The Guy who ****s the Starlet or the Starlet who uses the guy to get a 2 million pound film deal... I'd argue, no harm done, nothing to see here. It might not be politically correct but in some cases, it could be the case. Now, imagine 20 years later it gets out, said starlet is married her kids hear she ****ed her way to marrying Tom Cruise say... and what does she do? No, they abused me... Maybe?

Last edited by Steve Zodiac on Nov 17th, 2017 at 08:48 PM

Old Post Nov 17th, 2017 08:46 PM
socool8520
Life's a garden, Dig it

Right, I get it. I also don't think that scenario is far fetched, however, that is exactly the type of behavior these accusation hopefully curtail. Say this scenario does come up, now the guy/gal may think twice about taking them up on their offer, and instead have them prosecuted for solicitation.

Old Post Nov 17th, 2017 08:53 PM
Steve Zodiac
Restricted

Account Restricted

Right, I get it. I also don't think that scenario is far fetched, however, that is exactly the type of behavior these accusation hopefully curtail. Say this scenario does come up, now the guy/gal may think twice about taking them up on their offer, and instead have them prosecuted for solicitation.
Everyone is going to be thinking twice now, but many accused and accusing weren't then. Which is part of the point of the initial post. The water is very muddy when we look to the past as if the past is today.

Old Post Nov 17th, 2017 08:55 PM
socool8520
Life's a garden, Dig it

And that was a bad situation, regardless of intent/mutual benefit. It was a culture like that which allowed the monsters to prey on people.

I agree that there should be sufficient evidence provided before any real judgement is delivered though. That's just a right of all people.

Old Post Nov 17th, 2017 09:02 PM
cdtm

It's still their word against his, though.

Wanna be Weinstein's won't learn to stop. They'll simply try and rethink their predatory habits so they can beat it.

As long as someone is desperate for a contract, there's always going to a gatekeeper looking to game the system.

Never let anyone else define you. Don't be a jerk just to be a jerk, but if you are expressing your true inner feelings and beliefs, or at least trying to express that inner child, and everyone gets pissed off about it, never NEVER apologize for it. Let them think what they want, let them define you in their narrow little minds while they suppress every last piece of them just to keep a friend that never liked them for themselves in the first place.

Old Post Nov 17th, 2017 09:07 PM
cdtm is currently offline Click here to Send cdtm a Private Message Find more posts by cdtm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
socool8520
Life's a garden, Dig it

Originally posted by cdtm
It's still their word against his, though.

Wanna be Weinstein's won't learn to stop. They'll simply try and rethink their predatory habits so they can beat it.

As long as someone is desperate for a contract, there's always going to a gatekeeper looking to game the system.

I think it would be much easier to argue solicitation of you have your staff present with you and bring said individual up on solicitation charges immediately. Same with a sexual predator scenario. Have more than one person with you and immediately come forward with assault so evidence can be presented.

Old Post Nov 17th, 2017 09:10 PM
Steve Zodiac
Restricted

Account Restricted

And that was a bad situation, regardless of intent/mutual benefit. It was a culture like that which allowed the monsters to prey on people.

I agree that there should be sufficient evidence provided before any real judgement is delivered though. That's just a right of all people.
People feed off each other it's the way of the world, I've actually seen a slave market in Niger and girls in bamboo cages in India. I'm with cdtm, people will always find ways to do bad things to other people. Nothing will change significantly, that doesn't mean things should be ignored though.

Old Post Nov 17th, 2017 09:16 PM
socool8520
Life's a garden, Dig it

Of course it is, I've seen women forced to sell themselves in Thailand, but I wouldn't be apposed to a scandal that led the alleviation of either your or my examples though.

Anyway that we can erode some of this behavior is worth it imo. Well nearly anything.

Old Post Nov 17th, 2017 09:19 PM
Steve Zodiac
Restricted

Account Restricted

Of course it is, I've seen women forced to sell themselves in Thailand, but I wouldn't be apposed to a scandal that led the alleviation of either your or my examples though.

Anyway that we can erode some of this behavior is worth it imo. Well nearly anything.

In Thailand and the rest of South East Asia the women have a different outlook to western women on exploitation. A filipino nurse I know wants to marry me because I have money or at least compared to her I do, or perhaps they don't have a different outlook at all. We'd have to be able to read these starlets minds.

Old Post Nov 17th, 2017 09:23 PM
socool8520
Life's a garden, Dig it

Originally posted by Steve Zodiac
In Thailand and the rest of South East Asia the women have a different outlook to western women on exploitation. A filipino nurse I know wants to marry me because I have money or at least compared to her I do, or perhaps they don't have a different outlook at all. We'd have to be able to read these starlets minds.

I had to watch a video showing that far too many of these women were coerced into this type of behavior for the good of their families.

That's where evidence comes into play and having multiple people in the room during casting, business related dinners, etc. One on one probably shouldn't occur if you want to stay out of these accusations or not become a victim.

Old Post Nov 17th, 2017 09:27 PM
Steve Zodiac
Restricted

Account Restricted

I had to watch a video showing that far too many of these women were coerced into this type of behavior for the good of their families.

That's where evidence comes into play and having multiple people in the room during casting, business related dinners, etc. One on one probably shouldn't occur if you want to stay out of these accusations or not become a victim.
Oh, I don't doubt that either, I also don't doubt some make a choice.

It's not always cut and dried.

People have motives.

Old Post Nov 17th, 2017 09:30 PM
socool8520
Life's a garden, Dig it

Yeah, that's where the 2nd part of the post comes into play. Help yourself, because odds are no one else is going to do it for you.

Old Post Nov 17th, 2017 09:37 PM
Steve Zodiac
Restricted

Account Restricted

Yeah, that's where the 2nd part of the post comes into play. Help yourself, because odds are no one else is going to do it for you.

Sadly, probably true.

But, people put a word in for people and they can also be accused.

1981 The Human League

You were working as a waitress in a cocktail bar
When I met you
I picked you out, I shook you up
And turned you around
Turned you into someone new
Now five years later on you've got the world at your feet
Success has been so easy for you

Last edited by Steve Zodiac on Nov 17th, 2017 at 10:22 PM

Old Post Nov 17th, 2017 10:19 PM