KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » DoJ investigating Harvard over Affirmative Action policies

DoJ investigating Harvard over Affirmative Action policies
Started by: Kurk

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (11): « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Kurk
Restricted

Account Restricted

Oh, and that reminds me of this video. Affirmative action leads to unethical practices like this—which I would totally do myself btw.

"Technology equals might!" "Evolve or perish"

Old Post Nov 21st, 2017 07:20 PM
Kurk is currently offline Click here to Send Kurk a Private Message Find more posts by Kurk Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kurk
Restricted

Account Restricted

Forgot formatting is fked up

https://youtu.be/iwMzZtU5H7I

Old Post Nov 21st, 2017 07:20 PM
Kurk is currently offline Click here to Send Kurk a Private Message Find more posts by Kurk Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Steve Zodiac
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Rage.Of.Olympus
I don't think this is fair but University's do need some wiggle room on who to chose. Affirmative action does good and bad but if it wasn't present, it'd be full of legacies and deep pockets, the institution itself would suffer. Imo, a person with a 3.5 GPA coming from poverty is a far more qualified candidate than someone with a 3.9 GPA coming from wealth.

Coming from low income areas, with poor education, lack of resources, pressure from society AND family (Often) to not pursue higher education, the drive and determination needed to even qualify for Harvard? Shits tough. Low income areas are riddled with drugs, underfunding, lack of support.

Socoll what background are you from in terms of socio-economic? You should visit some of the high schools in the poor areas around you. Get an idea of the "resources" available.
Bingo! Rage nails it too!

Old Post Nov 21st, 2017 07:25 PM
Steve Zodiac is currently offline Click here to Send Steve Zodiac a Private Message Find more posts by Steve Zodiac Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
socool8520
Life's a garden, Dig it

Somebody should have told these guys they were too poor and needed to wait for help before they could become successful.

http://www.businessinsider.com/bill...ng-2013-12?IR=T

Old Post Nov 21st, 2017 07:25 PM
socool8520 is currently offline Click here to Send socool8520 a Private Message Find more posts by socool8520 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Steve Zodiac
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by socool8520
Somebody should have told these guys they were too poor and needed to wait for help before they could become successful.

http://www.businessinsider.com/bill...ng-2013-12?IR=T
Haha, compare that to the billionaires who came from something. Silly Rabbit!

Old Post Nov 21st, 2017 07:29 PM
Steve Zodiac is currently offline Click here to Send Steve Zodiac a Private Message Find more posts by Steve Zodiac Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
socool8520
Life's a garden, Dig it

Old Post Nov 21st, 2017 07:29 PM
socool8520 is currently offline Click here to Send socool8520 a Private Message Find more posts by socool8520 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
socool8520
Life's a garden, Dig it

Originally posted by Steve Zodiac
Haha, compare that to the billionaires who came from something. Silly Rabbit!

It doesn't refute that you can succeed even in poverty. Whether it's harder or not doesn't matter if you are willing to put in the work.

Old Post Nov 21st, 2017 07:32 PM
Robtard
Senor Member

Originally posted by Kurk
None of the jobs you just listed require any sort of skill or achievement to where affirmative action is needed to get in lol.

You think anyone/everyone is qualified to be a Police Officer, Fire Fighter or Medical Emergency person? Serious?

But there were cases where departments hired due to skin color/race first and foremost over testing and skill level, to meet the quotes set my AA.

You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Old Post Nov 21st, 2017 07:32 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
socool8520
Life's a garden, Dig it

Originally posted by Robtard
You think anyone/everyone is qualified to be a Police Officer, Fire Fighter or Medical Emergency person? Serious?

But there were cases where departments hired due to skin color/race first and foremost over testing and skill level, to meet the quotes set my AA.

Well there are entrance requirements for those jobs so if there's an issue, it's with the requirements.

Old Post Nov 21st, 2017 07:35 PM
dadudemon

Originally posted by Beniboybling
If any form of positive discrimination is to take place, it should be simply towards those from impoverished backgrounds, regardless of skin colour. This race thing is really just becoming a fetish to make people feel good about themselves and get PR by being "diverse".

But of course that will never happen, because what folks really don't like are poor people. sad

Hmmm...not sure how I feel about thoroughly agreeing with a point you've made.

Old Post Nov 21st, 2017 07:35 PM
dadudemon is currently offline Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Steve Zodiac
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by dadudemon
Hmmm...not sure how I feel about thoroughly agreeing with a point you've made.
Warm and fuzzy DDM? smile I just did when I agreed with this post of yours! thumb up

Old Post Nov 21st, 2017 07:38 PM
socool8520
Life's a garden, Dig it

Like I said, I'm for lowering tuition rates so that it is affordable for low income families, but I am not for lowering the standard.

Old Post Nov 21st, 2017 07:39 PM
Steve Zodiac
Restricted

Account Restricted

Like I said, I'm for lowering tuition rates so that it is affordable for low income families, but I am not for lowering the standard.
yappy dog is yappy!

Old Post Nov 21st, 2017 07:43 PM
Robtard
Senor Member

Well there are entrance requirements for those jobs so if there's an issue, it's with the requirements.

Yes, and to my first post, people with higher test scores (mental/physical) were left at the curb over people who meet the requirements of the job, but still had lower test scores. IMO, you want the best people for those types of jobs.

Edit: Look at this way: Let's say a "70" is required to be a Police Officer in testing. Dan scored a 94 and Bill scored a 77. Yet Bill was hired over Dan to meet an AF quoted.

You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Last edited by Robtard on Nov 21st, 2017 at 07:47 PM

Old Post Nov 21st, 2017 07:44 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dadudemon

I think what a lot of you are directly or indirectly talking about is Socioeconomic Mobility.

There are several factors in SeM and I think the Brookings Institution has done a great job compiling this list of 13 "Economic Facts about Social Mobility and the Role of Education":

https://www.brookings.edu/research/...e-of-education/

This is a nicely formatted website with collapsable sections...which I liked. Sorry, easily impressed by silly website features.

Old Post Nov 21st, 2017 07:47 PM
dadudemon is currently offline Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
socool8520
Life's a garden, Dig it

Originally posted by Steve Zodiac
yappy dog is yappy!

I wonder how you haven't been banned again. lol

Old Post Nov 21st, 2017 07:54 PM
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

I wonder how you haven't been banned again. lol

He's a super reasonable sock, that's why.

Old Post Nov 21st, 2017 07:55 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kurk
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Robtard

I (remember, immature 18 year old) became an EMT with ZERO effort involved. Never studied outside of class, yet received an A in the class. Any knucklehead with a pulse who can pass a drug test can get in—just like a TSA agent.

Old Post Nov 21st, 2017 07:58 PM
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Kurk
And lol of course the type of school you go to matters. I went to a private school and guarantee I would be 10x the dumbass I am had I stayed in public schools.

Of course there are people like Ben Carson who climbed out of poverty and crime and go on to do amazing things, but even he relied on some level of affirmative action to get into Yale.

And no you cannot buy your way into Harvard unless you're Bill Gate's or Bush's kid. My counselor said that unless you're rich enough to buy the school a new building, having money will not help.

It's about location too. I went to private schools, but they were super shitty. They essentially just added religion to the mix. I know some free public schools that were superior to the schools I went to that charged tuition.

Old Post Nov 21st, 2017 08:03 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
socool8520
Life's a garden, Dig it

Originally posted by dadudemon
I think what a lot of you are directly or indirectly talking about is Socioeconomic Mobility.

There are several factors in SeM and I think the Brookings Institution has done a great job compiling this list of 13 "Economic Facts about Social Mobility and the Role of Education":

https://www.brookings.edu/research/...e-of-education/

This is a nicely formatted website with collapsable sections...which I liked. Sorry, easily impressed by silly website features.

So rich people have an advantage, but poor people are getting programs to help. Pretty much what I was saying. I liked the article by the way. Although the drop down menus kept throwing the text above the screen so I had to scroll up to read each point.

Old Post Nov 21st, 2017 08:06 PM