KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » DoJ investigating Harvard over Affirmative Action policies

DoJ investigating Harvard over Affirmative Action policies
Started by: Kurk

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (11): « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Afro Cheese

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Robtard
Affirmative action is good in theory, but poor in practice. As we had more qualified people left on the curb and positions filled by the less qualified and when it comes to jobs like the Police, Fire, Medical Emergency etc., you want the most qualified, regardless of their skin color.

But is Asians were not "minority enough", meaning there was no clear discrimination against them in the amount of courses/classes, then what exactly is there to be upset over.
There's the idea/suspicion that these universities are using a sort of "quota" system for racial groups since their racial ratios seem to remain largely constant while certain groups tend to score higher on average on the SATs etc. So Asians, being both statistically more likely to have a high IQ along with having a severe worth ethic in their culture tend to do very well in terms of academic institutions. So compared to the racial ratios of the general population, Asians are actually "overrepresented" in these institutions. But if it were a strict meritocracy, then their representation would be presumably even higher than it is. Meaning some highly qualified Asians (in some cases more qualified than some of their non-Asian peers who were accepted) are not let in because the ratio of Asians is considered to already be "high enough."

Old Post Nov 21st, 2017 09:14 PM
Afro Cheese is currently offline Click here to Send Afro Cheese a Private Message Find more posts by Afro Cheese Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dadudemon

Originally posted by socool8520
So rich people have an advantage, but poor people are getting programs to help. Pretty much what I was saying. I liked the article by the way. Although the drop down menus kept throwing the text above the screen so I had to scroll up to read each point.

No one has responded to you, disagreeing with you, and I prefer to not summarize like you have (I prefer not to summarize and to actually directly use the 13 points). But if no one disagrees with you...

Old Post Nov 21st, 2017 09:16 PM
dadudemon is currently offline Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Adam_PoE

I can see it's time to break this out again for the clinically slow:

(please log in to view the image)

Old Post Nov 22nd, 2017 03:11 AM
Adam_PoE is currently offline Click here to Send Adam_PoE a Private Message Find more posts by Adam_PoE Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Steve Zodiac
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Adam_PoE
I can see it's time to break this out again for the clinically slow:

(please log in to view the image)

Perfect, I have saved that Adam.

Old Post Nov 22nd, 2017 04:08 AM
Steve Zodiac is currently offline Click here to Send Steve Zodiac a Private Message Find more posts by Steve Zodiac Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
socool8520
Life's a garden, Dig it

Originally posted by dadudemon
No one has responded to you, disagreeing with you, and I prefer to not summarize like you have (I prefer not to summarize and to actually directly use the 13 points). But if no one disagrees with you...

It's clear that people disagree with me. lol. The previous page or so would support that.

I summarized because I had already stated that being well off has its advantages, so there was really no point to push it again. It also stated that there were programs in place to help poorer families which I also stated, so I didn't want to push it again. Is there a specific point you found that you wanted to talk about?

My point has been that the best should get the nod regardless of status. I don't think it's right to give people a spot just because they are a minority, poor, or both.

I would strongly prefer America invest in fixing it's education system so that all people get better access to education rather than penalizing just for the sake of diversity.

Old Post Nov 22nd, 2017 11:25 AM
socool8520 is currently offline Click here to Send socool8520 a Private Message Find more posts by socool8520 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Steve Zodiac
Restricted

Account Restricted

It's clear that people disagree with me. lol. The previous page or so would support that.

I summarized because I had already stated that being well off has its advantages, so there was really no point to push it again. It also stated that there were programs in place to help poorer families which I also stated, so I didn't want to push it again. Is there a specific point you found that you wanted to talk about?

My point has been that the best should get the nod regardless of status. I don't think it's right to give people a spot just because they are a minority, poor, or both.

I would strongly prefer America invest in fixing it's education system so that all people get better access to education rather than penalizing just for the sake of diversity.
Silly Rabbit.

Old Post Nov 22nd, 2017 11:48 AM
Steve Zodiac is currently offline Click here to Send Steve Zodiac a Private Message Find more posts by Steve Zodiac Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
socool8520
Life's a garden, Dig it

ok

Old Post Nov 22nd, 2017 11:49 AM
socool8520 is currently offline Click here to Send socool8520 a Private Message Find more posts by socool8520 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Anyways, in other news: affirmative action needs to go, immediately.

Old Post Nov 22nd, 2017 02:05 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Steve Zodiac
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Surtur
Why are you worried Surt, you're never going to have to compete with anyone for a job.

Old Post Nov 22nd, 2017 04:13 PM
Emperordmb
LSDMB

Originally posted by Surtur

thumb up

Shadilay my brothers and sisters. With any luck we will throw off the shackles of normie oppression. We have nothing to lose but our chains! Praise Kek!
THE MOTTO IS "IN KEK WE TRUST"

Old Post Nov 22nd, 2017 04:24 PM
Emperordmb is currently offline Click here to Send Emperordmb a Private Message Find more posts by Emperordmb Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
socool8520
Life's a garden, Dig it

Make education more affordable, and you may not need affirmative action. Roll like Germany and allocate our tax money into education so that tuition is extremely low, or free.

Old Post Nov 22nd, 2017 04:31 PM
Bashar Teg
Senior Mentat

Originally posted by Steve Zodiac
Why are you worried Surt, you're never going to have to compete with anyone for a job.
most things that make him chronically angry have zero impact on his life. hollywood, religions, job market, income tax, women, etc.

Your Lord knows very well what is in your heart. Your soul suffices this day as a reckoner against you. I need no witnesses. You do not listen to your soul, but listen instead to your anger and your rage.

Old Post Nov 22nd, 2017 04:33 PM
Bashar Teg is currently offline Click here to Send Bashar Teg a Private Message Find more posts by Bashar Teg Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Steve Zodiac
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Bashar Teg
most things that make him chronically angry have zero impact on his life. hollywood, religions, job market, income tax, women, etc.
Yeah, I agree with you Bash, so MANY things a normal person takes for granted, good and ill, are and will always be absent from his barren, lonely existence. Poor-poor Surt. Oh, I just remembered I'm talking about Surtur embarrasment My bad eek! laughing out loud

Old Post Nov 22nd, 2017 04:47 PM
snowdragon

Make education more affordable, and you may not need affirmative action.

Doesn't the military give options for paying college tuitions in the USA?

Old Post Nov 22nd, 2017 05:13 PM
snowdragon is currently offline Click here to Send snowdragon a Private Message Find more posts by snowdragon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Make education more affordable, and you may not need affirmative action. Roll like Germany and allocate our tax money into education so that tuition is extremely low, or free.

Agreed.

Originally posted by snowdragon

Yeah.

Old Post Nov 22nd, 2017 06:27 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
socool8520
Life's a garden, Dig it

Originally posted by snowdragon

Yeah, I tried to explain that there are options available, but people thought I was just downing on poor people like I was never poor myself or anything. lol

Old Post Nov 22nd, 2017 06:48 PM
Bashar Teg
Senior Mentat

#SurvivalBias

that system has worked so well, why change it? poor people don't deserve any other avenue to success besides military service. don't like it? sorry kid. momma shoulda planned ahead!

Your Lord knows very well what is in your heart. Your soul suffices this day as a reckoner against you. I need no witnesses. You do not listen to your soul, but listen instead to your anger and your rage.

Old Post Nov 22nd, 2017 06:52 PM
Bashar Teg is currently offline Click here to Send Bashar Teg a Private Message Find more posts by Bashar Teg Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
socool8520
Life's a garden, Dig it

Oh Bash, you're too funny.

Old Post Nov 22nd, 2017 06:54 PM
Silent Master

What is wrong with military service?

I don't know why some of you are going on about being right and winning. Rob and Impediment were in on this gag because I PMed them. Silent and Rao PMed me and figured I changed the post. I highly doubt anybody thought Quan made the post, but simply played along just for the lulz.

Old Post Nov 22nd, 2017 06:59 PM
Silent Master is currently offline Click here to Send Silent Master a Private Message Find more posts by Silent Master Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
snowdragon

Originally posted by Bashar Teg
#SurvivalBias

that system has worked so well, why change it? poor people don't deserve any other avenue to success besides military service. don't like it? sorry kid. momma shoulda planned ahead!

Yeah it works for middle class folks too!

If your parents don't help plan for college then yeah, it is shame on the parents. Unless of course you believe those parents are just to simple to understand planning for the future.

It's not the solution but it is a viable solution and joining the military doesn't mean you tote a gun and fight in the trnches.

Old Post Nov 22nd, 2017 07:02 PM
snowdragon is currently offline Click here to Send snowdragon a Private Message Find more posts by snowdragon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote