KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » DoJ investigating Harvard over Affirmative Action policies

DoJ investigating Harvard over Affirmative Action policies
Started by: Kurk

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (11): « First ... « 7 8 [9] 10 11 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Afro Cheese

But yea it's strange when people compete over how dangerous/shitty/violent their cities are

IIRC the US is the murder capital of the industrialized world by far... but it's far from something I'm proud of. If we could stop having 600 murders a year in Chicago I think that would be nice.

Old Post Nov 23rd, 2017 03:26 PM
Afro Cheese is currently offline Click here to Send Afro Cheese a Private Message Find more posts by Afro Cheese Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dadudemon

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Afro Cheese

This....this video is super incredibly awkward. oi!

Oh shit, that's Sam Hyde, the Ted X talk troll.

Last edited by dadudemon on Nov 23rd, 2017 at 04:28 PM

Old Post Nov 23rd, 2017 04:24 PM
dadudemon is currently offline Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Afro Cheese

Originally posted by dadudemon
This....this video is super incredibly awkward. oi!

Oh shit, that's Sam Hyde, the Ted X talk troll.
That's him. He's actually a comedian.

Old Post Nov 23rd, 2017 04:53 PM
Afro Cheese is currently offline Click here to Send Afro Cheese a Private Message Find more posts by Afro Cheese Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Rockydonovang
freedom fighter

Originally posted by Surtur
I also have an issue with his hole analogy. The problem is nobody alive currently dug those holes, and nobody alive currently was actually put in those holes.

And especially if we're going to talk about native americans and use the hole analogy...they NA's sure as hell did love putting each other in holes.

Which is why I‘m attributing the blame to the Institution of the us government, which indeed has a responsibility to ,, pull people out of the holes they‘ve dug.

And yes, Native Americans, raised in a terrible situation the government has put them in, have struggled to better their situations. That doesn’t mean the government shouldn’t be taking responsibility for a situation they created but never fixed.

Old Post Nov 23rd, 2017 09:47 PM
Rockydonovang is currently offline Click here to Send Rockydonovang a Private Message Find more posts by Rockydonovang Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Rockydonovang
freedom fighter

Originally posted by cdtm
The problem with large scale fixes like the one's you're implying, is it results in small scale wrongs to individuals.

You can't, for example, have a quota on women, without denying that same spot to someone else (A man, in this case.)

Or to go with the box analogy, someone just might end up behind a kid standing up on a chair as he's trying to watch a wrestling show, with his goddamned mom standing right next to him, the *****. mad

Not a good evening.

But yeah, point is people aren't just groups, and imo it's not right to wrong someone to fix group wrongs. Even if it only affects a single person from being shut out..

I am not arguing for the second panel, I‘m arguing for the third panel where there‘s no reason to give someone boxes.

Old Post Nov 23rd, 2017 09:49 PM
Rockydonovang is currently offline Click here to Send Rockydonovang a Private Message Find more posts by Rockydonovang Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Rockydonovang
freedom fighter

Also, could someone explain what affirmative action is exactly? I‘ve opposed it under the impression it forces colleges to accept a minimum of black kids regardless of if there‘s more deserving white kids.

Old Post Nov 23rd, 2017 09:53 PM
Adam_PoE

Affirmative Action is a set of policies that give private businesses tax incentives for contracting or hiring people from historically oppressed groups.

For example, if there are two equally-qualified candidates for an open position, and one of them is say, an ethnic minority, the government may offer the employer a modest tax break to hire the minority candidate.

The policy aims to override the prejudices of employers who have historically disenfranchised some groups from gainful employment by appealing to their pocketbook.

Unless a business is contracting with the federal government, it is completely voluntary policy. The government is not forcing employers to hire minorities or unqualified people.

Old Post Nov 24th, 2017 03:37 AM
Adam_PoE is currently offline Click here to Send Adam_PoE a Private Message Find more posts by Adam_PoE Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Rockydonovang
freedom fighter

Originally posted by Adam_PoE
Affirmative Action is a set of policies that give private businesses tax incentives for contracting or hiring people from historically oppressed groups.

For example, if there are two equally-qualified candidates for an open position, and one of them is say, an ethnic minority, the government may offer the employer a modest tax break to hire the minority candidate.

The policy aims to override the prejudices of employers who have historically disenfranchised some groups from gainful employment by appealing to their pocketbook.

Unless a business is contracting with the federal government, it is completely voluntary policy. The government is not forcing employers to hire minorities or unqualified people.

Shouldn't the tiebreaker be class based, not race based?

Old Post Nov 24th, 2017 06:11 AM
Steve Zodiac
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Afro Cheese
But yea it's strange when people compete over how dangerous/shitty/violent their cities are

IIRC the US is the murder capital of the industrialized world by far... but it's far from something I'm proud of. If we could stop having 600 murders a year in Chicago I think that would be nice.

It's not strange really because it's interesting, London, for example, has seen the murder rate drop from around 300 a year to 100 a year in the last 30 years due to gentrification. South America and South African (where I visit regularly) with always be more dangerous than most other industrialised places. Countries where foreigners are rarely seen like Somalia and Nigeria (where I lived for a while are a particular danger for non-natives). Americans like to make out they are tough because they have a lot of loonies and no gun control. Yes, it makes America dangerous anyone can get a gun on any street corner. But most Americans don't have a passport and when they are involved in military conflicts outnumber and outmatch the opponents so the risk is minimised (this is true for Britain in military conflicts also). So the point I am making still stands being in a war zone with air support and a military machine, isn't necessarily a choice for everyone in Education and doesn't necessarily make you Rambo either. I have some lovely Americans working for me, some ex-military, it doesn't mean I don't tell them I think western military interference from the US and Europe isn't the biggest problem to stability, it created most of the problems we face now. And as to how this started, I think someone accused people posting against the military of being armchair warriors, I find it funny when people who have either had a platoon behind them or never visited dangerous places, try and belittle those who live in them and try to show every day not every westerner is a bigoted fool and do so at their own risk.

Old Post Nov 24th, 2017 09:07 AM
Steve Zodiac is currently offline Click here to Send Steve Zodiac a Private Message Find more posts by Steve Zodiac Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Rockydonovang
Which is why I‘m attributing the blame to the Institution of the us government, which indeed has a responsibility to ,, pull people out of the holes they‘ve dug.

And yes, Native Americans, raised in a terrible situation the government has put them in, have struggled to better their situations. That doesn’t mean the government shouldn’t be taking responsibility for a situation they created but never fixed.

It doesn't mean our government uses race an excuse to pass over others though in order to fix it lol. Not up for debate, racism doesn't defeat racism.

Originally posted by Rockydonovang
Shouldn't the tiebreaker be class based, not race based?

Then whining about slavery and shit wouldn't work as much.

Last edited by Surtur on Nov 24th, 2017 at 02:45 PM

Old Post Nov 24th, 2017 02:39 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Steve Zodiac
It's not strange really because it's interesting, London, for example, has seen the murder rate drop from around 300 a year to 100 a year in the last 30 years due to gentrification. South America and South African (where I visit regularly) with always be more dangerous than most other industrialised places. Countries where foreigners are rarely seen like Somalia and Nigeria (where I lived for a while are a particular danger for non-natives). Americans like to make out they are tough because they have a lot of loonies and no gun control. Yes, it makes America dangerous anyone can get a gun on any street corner. But most Americans don't have a passport and when they are involved in military conflicts outnumber and outmatch the opponents so the risk is minimised (this is true for Britain in military conflicts also). So the point I am making still stands being in a war zone with air support and a military machine, isn't necessarily a choice for everyone in Education and doesn't necessarily make you Rambo either. I have some lovely Americans working for me, some ex-military, it doesn't mean I don't tell them I think western military interference from the US and Europe isn't the biggest problem to stability, it created most of the problems we face now. And as to how this started, I think someone accused people posting against the military of being armchair warriors, I find it funny when people who have either had a platoon behind them or never visited dangerous places, try and belittle those who live in them and try to show every day not every westerner is a bigoted fool and do so at their own risk.

That's all well and good, I just want to make sure you're crystal clear about one thing here: there is nothing tougher or more noble about having more knife attacks than gun attacks. And no Steve, you aren't some military bad ass because you challenge people to go meet up in the Sudan or whatever silly shit you spew. When you did that you sounded *exactly* like a keyboard warrior.

Old Post Nov 24th, 2017 02:42 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Steve Zodiac
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Surtur
That's all well and good, I just want to make sure you're crystal clear about one thing here: there is nothing tougher or more noble about having more knife attacks than gun attacks. And no Steve, you aren't some military bad ass because you challenge people to go meet up in the Sudan or whatever silly shit you spew. When you did that you sounded *exactly* like a keyboard warrior.
Only to you boy and people like you, as I say my offer is open. Come meet me in Africa, I'm game, I'll show you the real world off a keyboard. No keyboard warrior here, just a solid offer. Come and tell Muslims what you think of them in their country, you're brave. Offer is open to any of you, give me your emails and I'll sort it out. You will have to pay for your flights and I suggest you get insurance, most Americans I know pretend to be Canadians in places like the Sudan btw and most of them are quite tough guys. Just a thought.

Old Post Nov 24th, 2017 02:59 PM
Steve Zodiac is currently offline Click here to Send Steve Zodiac a Private Message Find more posts by Steve Zodiac Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ArtificialGlory
God-Emperor of Eternity

Old Post Nov 24th, 2017 03:59 PM
ArtificialGlory is currently offline Click here to Send ArtificialGlory a Private Message Find more posts by ArtificialGlory Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ArtificialGlory
God-Emperor of Eternity

Only to you boy and people like you, as I say my offer is open. Come meet me in Africa, I'm game, I'll show you the real world off a keyboard. No keyboard warrior here, just a solid offer. Come and tell Muslims what you think of them in their country, you're brave. Offer is open to any of you, give me your emails and I'll sort it out. You will have to pay for your flights and I suggest you get insurance, most Americans I know pretend to be Canadians in places like the Sudan btw and most of them are quite tough guys. Just a thought.

(please log in to view the image)

Old Post Nov 24th, 2017 04:01 PM
ArtificialGlory is currently offline Click here to Send ArtificialGlory a Private Message Find more posts by ArtificialGlory Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Silent Master

Send me the money and I'll be on the next flight out. always up for a nice vacation.

I don't know why some of you are going on about being right and winning. Rob and Impediment were in on this gag because I PMed them. Silent and Rao PMed me and figured I changed the post. I highly doubt anybody thought Quan made the post, but simply played along just for the lulz.

Last edited by Silent Master on Nov 24th, 2017 at 04:51 PM

Old Post Nov 24th, 2017 04:46 PM
Silent Master is currently offline Click here to Send Silent Master a Private Message Find more posts by Silent Master Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bashar Teg
Senior Mentat

worst vacation planner ever

Your Lord knows very well what is in your heart. Your soul suffices this day as a reckoner against you. I need no witnesses. You do not listen to your soul, but listen instead to your anger and your rage.

Old Post Nov 24th, 2017 04:51 PM
Bashar Teg is currently offline Click here to Send Bashar Teg a Private Message Find more posts by Bashar Teg Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Silent Master

I've been over there a few times, had fun.

I don't know why some of you are going on about being right and winning. Rob and Impediment were in on this gag because I PMed them. Silent and Rao PMed me and figured I changed the post. I highly doubt anybody thought Quan made the post, but simply played along just for the lulz.

Old Post Nov 24th, 2017 04:57 PM
Silent Master is currently offline Click here to Send Silent Master a Private Message Find more posts by Silent Master Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

You're trying way too hard lol. This is what a keyboard warrior does.

Old Post Nov 24th, 2017 06:52 PM
dadudemon

What the f*ck did you just f*cking say about me, you little b*tch? I’ll have you know I graduated top of my class in the Navy Seals, and I’ve been involved in numerous secret raids on Al-Quaeda, and I have over 300 confirmed kills. I am trained in guerrilla warfare and I’m the top sniper in the entire US armed forces. You are nothing to me but just another target. I will wipe you the f*ck out with precision the likes of which has never been seen before on this Earth, mark my f*cking words. You think you can get away with saying that shit to me over the Internet? Think again, f*cker. As we speak I am contacting my secret network of spies across the USA and your IP is being traced right now so you better prepare for the storm, maggot. The storm that wipes out the pathetic little thing you call your life. You’re f*cking dead, kid. I can be anywhere, anytime, and I can kill you in over seven hundred ways, and that’s just with my bare hands. Not only am I extensively trained in unarmed combat, but I have access to the entire arsenal of the United States Marine Corps and I will use it to its full extent to wipe your miserable ass off the face of the continent, you little shit. If only you could have known what unholy retribution your little “clever” comment was about to bring down upon you, maybe you would have held your f*cking tongue. But you couldn’t, you didn’t, and now you’re paying the price, you goddamn idiot. I will shit fury all over you and you will drown in it. You’re f*cking dead, kiddo.

Old Post Nov 24th, 2017 08:57 PM
dadudemon is currently offline Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

DDM is, at this very moment, personally surfing atop a missile shaped like an american eagle heading for Steve's general direction.

Old Post Nov 24th, 2017 09:22 PM