KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book 'Versus' Forum » Why is Hulk more of a threat than Juggernaut?

Why is Hulk more of a threat than Juggernaut?
Started by: TethAdamTheRock

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (9): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Braniac 5.0
God of War

Why is Hulk more of a threat than Juggernaut?

Hulk destroys things but Juggernaut is evil and his job is to destroy

Old Post Nov 21st, 2017 11:24 PM
Braniac 5.0 is currently offline Click here to Send Braniac 5.0 a Private Message Find more posts by Braniac 5.0 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Stoic
Avenger

The Hulk is by far a larger threat. look at their most impressive destruction feats. You can't even begin to compare the two. Cain is a Wonder Man level character in terms of strength, with a nearly indestructible body or force field keeping him from taking direct damage.

Old Post Nov 21st, 2017 11:30 PM
Stoic is currently offline Click here to Send Stoic a Private Message Find more posts by Stoic Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm

Bruce is true evil, while Juggernaut is merely chaotic.

Hulk may be the most evil character in Marvel history.

Never let anyone else define you. Don't be a jerk just to be a jerk, but if you are expressing your true inner feelings and beliefs, or at least trying to express that inner child, and everyone gets pissed off about it, never NEVER apologize for it. Let them think what they want, let them define you in their narrow little minds while they suppress every last piece of them just to keep a friend that never liked them for themselves in the first place.

Old Post Nov 21st, 2017 11:45 PM
cdtm is currently offline Click here to Send cdtm a Private Message Find more posts by cdtm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dmills
Centurion Prime

Hulk is written as a serious character that is like a ticking time bomb. His very existence is tumultuous on Earth. Cain is written as a bit of a buffoon. Like a few ticks up from say, rhino in terms of how he's portrayed. I wouldn't have written him that way because I think there's a lot to work with there. But c'est la vie 🤷

Old Post Nov 22nd, 2017 01:38 AM
dmills is currently offline Click here to Send dmills a Private Message Find more posts by dmills Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
bluewaterrider

Re: Why is Hulk more of a threat than Juggernaut?

quote: (post)
Originally posted by TethAdamTheRock
Hulk destroys things but Juggernaut is evil and his job is to destroy

Juggernaut's focus is extremely localized and limited.
In early years, arguably at the zenith of his power, he wanted little more than revenge against his brother, Professor X, Charles Xavier.
Nothing less, perhaps, but scarcely, if any, more.

"Get Charles."

That was the goal, that was it.

Later he might entertain the idea of a private kingdom, or helping Black Tom Cassidy achieve his ends. No matter. Before he could achieve that, he had to get Charles, the X-Men, and/or some hero or heroes and the X-Men, out the way first. So again we have "Get Charles", or, if you prefer "Get Charles and company". Still local focus. Where he IS interested in anything, it is ownership or control. Not destroying what he values. And he tends not to want much, because his own power satisfies much of his needs, and Black Tom generally sees to the rest of his well-being. Juggernaut is only dangerous in limited circumstances. VERY limited circumstances.

Old Post Nov 22nd, 2017 02:17 AM
bluewaterrider is currently offline Click here to Send bluewaterrider a Private Message Find more posts by bluewaterrider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Flyattractor

Originally posted by dmills
Hulk is written as a serious character that is like a ticking time bomb. His very existence is tumultuous on Earth. Cain is written as a bit of a buffoon. Like a few ticks up from say, rhino in terms of how he's portrayed. I wouldn't have written him that way because I think there's a lot to work with there. But c'est la vie 🤷

That and Juggy is a One Note/Joke Character.

Old Post Nov 22nd, 2017 06:54 AM
Flyattractor is currently offline Click here to Send Flyattractor a Private Message Find more posts by Flyattractor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
krisblaze

Juggernaut is mainly an x-villain

Thanks Estacado

Old Post Nov 22nd, 2017 06:56 AM
krisblaze is currently offline Click here to Send krisblaze a Private Message Find more posts by krisblaze Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Inedian

Jiren destroys them both.

Old Post Nov 22nd, 2017 01:22 PM
Inedian is currently offline Click here to Send Inedian a Private Message Find more posts by Inedian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

He wasn't for a long time. Juggernaut v. Hulk was a recurring "What If" in comics. Until the early 2000s, suggesting Hulk was definitively above him - let alone others like Thor that he's since matched and/or surpassed - would have been laughable. Even the earliest tiers thread here on KMC (~2005) had Hulk at low herald, and even the Hulk fans were like "yeah, pretty much." I remember a 90s interview with Stan Lee where they asked him about Hulk v. Thor, and while he has to give a somewhat PC answer, he laughed, then his response was basically "I don't know what they're doing with the character now, but when I wrote them, Thor was always the top dog."

But then teenage mentality, WWE-watching, vs. forum reading, Twitter-fight having writers took over the big companies, and Hulk became The People's Champion, through which "smashing" becomes a metaphysical, logic-busting power that trumps any versatility Hulk lacks.

/srug

Last edited by Digi on Nov 22nd, 2017 at 04:11 PM

Old Post Nov 22nd, 2017 04:06 PM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Magnon

As was demonstrated during the WWH arc, (full power) Juggernaut can match the strength of a raging Hulk just fine. Therefore, Cain *could* be just as big a threat as Hulk if not bigger.

The difference is that Hulk has control issues whereas Cain does not. Hulk might go "ME SMASH THIS CITY NAO" at a moment's notice if something pisses him off. Cain won't.

Old Post Nov 22nd, 2017 04:40 PM
Magnon is currently offline Click here to Send Magnon a Private Message Find more posts by Magnon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
krisblaze

Originally posted by Digi
He wasn't for a long time. Juggernaut v. Hulk was a recurring "What If" in comics. Until the early 2000s, suggesting Hulk was definitively above him - let alone others like Thor that he's since matched and/or surpassed - would have been laughable. Even the earliest tiers thread here on KMC (~2005) had Hulk at low herald, and even the Hulk fans were like "yeah, pretty much." I remember a 90s interview with Stan Lee where they asked him about Hulk v. Thor, and while he has to give a somewhat PC answer, he laughed, then his response was basically "I don't know what they're doing with the character now, but when I wrote them, Thor was always the top dog."

But then teenage mentality, WWE-watching, vs. forum reading, Twitter-fight having writers took over the big companies, and Hulk became The People's Champion, through which "smashing" becomes a metaphysical, logic-busting power that trumps any versatility Hulk lacks.

/srug

thumb up

Digi on point.

Thanks Estacado

Old Post Nov 22nd, 2017 05:15 PM
krisblaze is currently offline Click here to Send krisblaze a Private Message Find more posts by krisblaze Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Rage.Of.Olympus

/srug

Basically the generation of writers that play to Carvers mentality came into power and comics lost most subtlety and depth. Media in general.

Old Post Nov 22nd, 2017 05:22 PM
Rage.Of.Olympus is currently offline Click here to Send Rage.Of.Olympus a Private Message Find more posts by Rage.Of.Olympus Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
MrMind

20 or 30 years ago, Juggy was definitely more of a threat

but now, Juggernaut has became a joke of his former self. and marvel has been promote hulk for the last 10 years

Old Post Nov 22nd, 2017 05:23 PM
MrMind is currently offline Click here to Send MrMind a Private Message Find more posts by MrMind Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
StiltmanFTW
CBvF

Cho is more of a joke than Cain.

The other current "Hulk" is a woman, lol.

Old Post Nov 22nd, 2017 05:42 PM
StiltmanFTW is currently offline Click here to Send StiltmanFTW a Private Message Find more posts by StiltmanFTW Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
abhilegend
Prince of All Saiyans

/srug

Uh no? Stan himself didn't write Thor beating Hulk when they fought. It was Jim Shooter who declared Thor as "Marvel's Superman" and thus protected as well. As soon as Shooter left, Thor started declining.

Even in 90s Hulk beat the shit out of Thor in Heroes Reborn. It was retconned by Walt Simonson but still it showed Thor wasn't top dog anymore.
It was also the time where when push come to shove, Hulk broke Onslaught's armor after matching him while Thor was a spectator.

The early forums were heavily biased towards versatility and some still are. It heavily reeks of "author hate" TBH. Comics have always put strength over versatility barring a few exceptions.

Last edited by abhilegend on Nov 22nd, 2017 at 05:59 PM

Old Post Nov 22nd, 2017 05:56 PM
abhilegend is currently offline Click here to Send abhilegend a Private Message Find more posts by abhilegend Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
krisblaze

Stan said that he always thought Thor was invulnerable and above Hulk tho, and this was from back in the 90s.

Thanks Estacado

Old Post Nov 22nd, 2017 06:01 PM
abhilegend
Prince of All Saiyans

Originally posted by krisblaze
Stan said that he always thought Thor was invulnerable and above Hulk tho, and this was from back in the 90s.

Stan is a fickle man then. He had Thor threatened by bullets and Hulk being completely bulletproof from start. Heck, even in 70s Hulk was equal to Thor in power.

http://www.supermegamonkey.net/chro...herAvengers.jpg

This is from Avengers 51.

What he says and what actually sees print are two different things. And Thor fans have rose colored glasses to what happened in silver age.

Old Post Nov 22nd, 2017 06:09 PM
abhilegend is currently offline Click here to Send abhilegend a Private Message Find more posts by abhilegend Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
HulkIsHulk

I sense some serious butthurt in this thread. Apparently a character rising firmly above what some wanted it to be or saw it to b means all those writers responsible for it are Carvers. SMH

Thanks for the sig Scot-and for the help with my avatar
When someone annoys you, it takes 42 muscles to frown but only 4 to reach out and bchslap them upside down on their head

Old Post Nov 22nd, 2017 06:27 PM
HulkIsHulk is currently offline Click here to Send HulkIsHulk a Private Message Find more posts by HulkIsHulk Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

Calls of forum bias are a bit unwarranted, because you're referring to hundreds of people from years ago, whose motivations and opinions differed wildly from our own. My only point in mentioning forum opinion was to show that even if you took the upper ranges of the spectrum on Hulk, it was an order of magnitude lower than it is today. I don't care about characters receiving a power-up, but it's somewhat undeniable that a sizable one happened for Hulk.

Originally posted by abhilegend
Uh no? Stan himself didn't write Thor beating Hulk when they fought. It was Jim Shooter who declared Thor as "Marvel's Superman" and thus protected as well. As soon as Shooter left, Thor started declining.

Even in 90s Hulk beat the shit out of Thor in Heroes Reborn. It was retconned by Walt Simonson but still it showed Thor wasn't top dog anymore.
It was also the time where when push come to shove, Hulk broke Onslaught's armor after matching him while Thor was a spectator.

The early forums were heavily biased towards versatility and some still are. It heavily reeks of "author hate" TBH. Comics have always put strength over versatility barring a few exceptions.

Sure. There aren't exact moments where we can point to as turning points, and Thor's heyday - especially relative to Hulk - was in the 70s and 80s. Stan's words were equivocating somewhat: he's not going to embarrass one of his bigger characters in a head-to-head battle (he knows his audience, and every era had a bit of "vs. forum mentality" in it), but the respect with which Thor was consistently treated placed him firmly higher during Stan's era. The main thrust of my point is that it's been an exceedingly good 10-12 years for Hulk. It's not that he lacked good showings relative to his peers, but they weren't quite as over-the-top and the consistency wasn't there. I mean, we're talking about Juggernaut in this thread, but I can recall a 90s Hulk where Hulk v. Thing would have been a legitimate discussion. But especially the mid to late 90s - with its roided out machismo - was a good tonal fit for the Hulk's persona, so he undoubtedly benefited from it. I think the fact that your primary example was retconned is a good way to show both sides: Hulk wasn't yet where he would be, but that transition (for Thor as well) was starting to take effect.

Taken in context with the OP's question, though, I think my point holds up quite well.

Last edited by Digi on Nov 22nd, 2017 at 06:51 PM

Old Post Nov 22nd, 2017 06:46 PM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mindship
Snap out of it.

Why? Because Hulk is strongest there is, and the madder he gets ...

Shinier than a speeding bullet.

Old Post Nov 22nd, 2017 08:51 PM
Mindship is currently offline Click here to Send Mindship a Private Message Find more posts by Mindship Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote