KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Net Neutrality might end.

Net Neutrality might end.
Started by: VG_Addict

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (27): « First ... « 19 20 [21] 22 23 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

Montana becomes first state to implement their own NN rules.

https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/...er-ajit-pai-fcc

Hopefully other states follow.

Old Post Jan 23rd, 2018 10:44 PM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dadudemon

quote: (post)
Originally posted by DarthSkywalker0
Well Robtard it is nice to see some substance let's look deeper into this.

There was a fact check done on this so I will quote their findings.

I think this is hilarious as it does not mention that Comcast was actually doing a good job at preventing privacy. Users of piracy networks are limited to downloading no more data than they upload. It’s necessary for them to earn download credits by making files available to others by seeding (uploading files to others). Legitimate uses of BitTorrent – such as making Linux available – do not typically have a download credit system. Overall, the practice had more impact on unlawful users than on legitimate ones, but it did shift the upload burden to other ISPs. Due to the backlash, Comcast discontinued the practice without any problems. There was a positive result of the dispute,

This doesn't mention that immediately after said action at&t discontinued the practice and lost profits due to reputation damages.

This allegation is unproven and not corroborated by Apple's own statements. Apple told the FCC that their actions were completely independent. The FCC has no power over the app store so net neutrality would not affect this. In addition, it is perfectly fair to assume that Apple's change in policy was related to quality rather than collusion.

This claim can be disregarded due to the same concerns brought up with the last one.

To quote the article,

Customers complained and the problem was fixed in less than a week.

MetroPCS did this for reasons unrelated to net neutrality. Essentially, they had 22 Mhz of spectrum in its average urban market, and minimal allocations in rural areas. To maximize this allocation, they made a deal with youtube to provide highly compressed video streams to its customers. BTW this was one of the reasons that LTE was invented.

This is another misleading example. What this forgets to note is that this prioritization was due to the shitty security design of Google Wallet. It took control of the phone’s security element, blocked out other apps, and collected personal information. Users were unable to use Google Wallet until Apple was happy with its security.

What this forgets to note is that AT&T did implement FaceTime, it just did it in phases. It first began on WiFi and on the mobile network for users with tiered data plans. Then after a few months, it was enabled on all LTE phones.

Verizon charged users 20 dollars a month for a mobile hotspot service, this was expressly mentioned in their TOS. Verizon customers who wanted to tether their laptops to the Internet through their phones had to pay extra for the privilege. The FCC sued Verizon for 1.25 million dollars and made them stop.

Why is this a problem?

This increased Netflix's internet speed and had nothing but a positive effect on the consumer.

This is unverified. Well Robtard, I appreciate the effort.

Did you get your rebuttals from a High Tech Forum editor?

http://hightechforum.org/fact-check...ity-violations/

Also, I like Pop-Sci's write-up on it, better:

https://www.popsci.com/net-neutrality-lies

They debunk lies from both sides. And cite their sources.

Old Post Jan 24th, 2018 01:14 AM
dadudemon is currently offline Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
quanchi112
Disney

Originally posted by BackFire

thumb up

Old Post Jan 24th, 2018 01:15 AM
quanchi112 is currently offline Click here to Send quanchi112 a Private Message Find more posts by quanchi112 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
DarthSkywalker0
The Insane Jedi Master

Originally posted by dadudemon
Did you get your rebuttals from a High Tech Forum editor?

http://hightechforum.org/fact-check...ity-violations/

Also, I like Pop-Sci's write-up on it, better:

https://www.popsci.com/net-neutrality-lies

They debunk lies from both sides. And cite their sources.

As I noted in the response, I was using a fact checker as a source, though a few were due to my own research cause they were not addressed on the site. Though the PopSci write up does say a few fallacities about the pre-net neutrality world.

Last edited by DarthSkywalker0 on Jan 24th, 2018 at 01:18 AM

Old Post Jan 24th, 2018 01:16 AM
DarthSkywalker0 is currently offline Click here to Send DarthSkywalker0 a Private Message Find more posts by DarthSkywalker0 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dadudemon

As I noted in the response, I was using a fact checker as a source, though a few were due to my own research cause they were not addressed on the site.

Though the PopSci write up does say a few fallacities about the pre-net neutrality world.

Fallacities? Fallacies?

Anyway, I think net neutrality is better.

But I like the idea of allowing states to decide. big grin

Old Post Jan 24th, 2018 01:21 AM
dadudemon is currently offline Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire

Originally posted by dadudemon
Fallacities? Fallacies?

Anyway, I think net neutrality is better.

But I like the idea of allowing states to decide. big grin

Unfortunately, in the FCC's zeal to bend over for the ISP's, they are trying to make it impossible for states to implement their own NN regulations.

They may have trouble doing that, but they're trying. The party of states rights, indeed.

Old Post Jan 24th, 2018 01:26 AM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

"The cost of your Premium plan (4 screens at a time + Ultra HD) has changed to $13.99 a month. This change takes effect Monday, February 26th, 2018"

Sad. sad

You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Old Post Jan 27th, 2018 05:40 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
DarthSkywalker0
The Insane Jedi Master

Originally posted by Robtard
"The cost of your Premium plan (4 screens at a time + Ultra HD) has changed to $13.99 a month. This change takes effect Monday, February 26th, 2018"

Sad. sad

Netflix announced this in October before the controversy even began. Nice try. This was likely due to the amount of money Netflix was putting into their shows. They were wrapping up their third quarter. Netflix was pumping $6 billion into their shows and are now raising it to 7 billion. Hulu is at $2.5 billion this year, Amazon is at $4.5 billion and HBO spent about $2 billion in 2016. This increases the value of the stock. To quote investor Ross Gerber,

quote:
Netflix just raised prices and with that comes an extra $1 billion in new revenue over the next 12 months. We don’t see anyone giving up Netflix from higher prices,” Gerber told TheWrap. “We also expect continued strong international sub growth.”

A Morgan Stanley analyst echoing the same idea,

quote:
“Netflix’s recent price increases in the U.S. and abroad are a positive indication of its confidence in the subscriber opportunity ahead and should help fuel content investments for future growth,” said Swinburne.

To quote the Wrap,

quote:
Here’s what it boils down to: Netflix needs to keep racking up the subscribers. To do that, it needs to spend on prestige shows, and increasing its monthly fees allows the studio to do that. The beast, in this case, is feeding itself. Wall Street doesn’t believe the audience is at the threshold where it’d balk at Netflix’s prices, and it has shown — with its stock jumping nearly 10 percent since the announcement early this month.

Last edited by DarthSkywalker0 on Jan 27th, 2018 at 05:57 PM

Old Post Jan 27th, 2018 05:50 PM
DarthSkywalker0 is currently offline Click here to Send DarthSkywalker0 a Private Message Find more posts by DarthSkywalker0 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NewGuy01
perpetual

"In October, before the controversy even began."

laughing out loud

Old Post Jan 27th, 2018 05:55 PM
NewGuy01 is currently offline Click here to Send NewGuy01 a Private Message Find more posts by NewGuy01 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

Netflix announced this in October before the controversy even began. Nice try.

The NN debacle was in the works before, so there is no try. There is facts.

Old Post Jan 27th, 2018 05:56 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

Originally posted by NewGuy01

laughing out loud

Hey, he tried. Give him credit smile

Old Post Jan 27th, 2018 05:57 PM
DarthSkywalker0
The Insane Jedi Master

Originally posted by NewGuy01

laughing out loud

quote:
Hey, he tried. Give him credit smile

I edited my post to add explanations from investors and analysts.

Old Post Jan 27th, 2018 05:57 PM
DarthSkywalker0
The Insane Jedi Master

But it is true that the FCC did not announce they were considering the repeal until November 21st. Netflix may have had some precognizance, but it seems a bit hasty to raise their prices that early and it is a far less satisfactory explanation then the one I previously provided.

"I killed them, of course. Just as I killed the Guardian. Just as I now kill you."

Old Post Jan 27th, 2018 06:03 PM
dadudemon

But it is true that the FCC did not announce they were considering the repeal until November 21st. Netflix may have had some precognizance, but it seems a bit hasty to raise their prices that early and it is a far less satisfactory explanation then the one I previously provided.

I don't know what you're talking about, here.

The earliest commentary I have on this is from April of last year where Pai was starting his shit. And, likely, I was behind the curve.

Old Post Jan 28th, 2018 06:31 PM
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

This is too little too late for the millions of people in Montana that already died after net neutrality ended.

Old Post Jan 28th, 2018 06:33 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dadudemon

Originally posted by Surtur
This is too little too late for the millions of people in Montana that already died after net neutrality ended.

This is the same type of humor that says Hilary will get impeached for her e-mails. Makes me laugh every time.

Old Post Jan 28th, 2018 06:41 PM
BackFire

Surely this is the end for Montana and the Clinton presidency.

Old Post Jan 28th, 2018 09:06 PM
Flyattractor

Yes. Lets hope she never tires to BEFOUL this Nation by ever trying to run for that office again.

Old Post Jan 29th, 2018 12:42 AM
Flyattractor is currently offline Click here to Send Flyattractor a Private Message Find more posts by Flyattractor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire

Musk is launching his first internet satellites this Sunday with the goal to eventually provide the world with cheap effective internet.

https://www.cnet.com/news/spacex-fa...-sunday-launch/

Old Post Feb 16th, 2018 11:26 PM
jaden101
Restricted

Account Restricted

Musk is launching his first internet satellites this Sunday with the goal to eventually provide the world with cheap effective internet.

https://www.cnet.com/news/spacex-fa...-sunday-launch/

Bloody leftist fascist.

You come at the King, you best not miss!

Old Post Feb 16th, 2018 11:28 PM
jaden101 is currently offline Click here to Send jaden101 a Private Message Find more posts by jaden101 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote