KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Religion Forum » Ben Shapiro vs Sam Harris

Ben Shapiro vs Sam Harris
Started by: Dark-Kenshin

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): « 1 2 [3]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Patient_Leech
System Failure

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Flyattractor
And there are some would say that is just You Looking at it thru your own very Biased Opinion.

Especially in todays' Secular World where morals are pretty much going out the window.

Are you seriously going to tell me that religion is helping give women and homosexuals equal rights? The Bible and Quran help promote equal rights? This is just my bias talking? I can quote plenty of scripture for you if you want.

Not to mention slavery. The South was absolutely on the winning side of that theological debate. And there was basically a civil war over it. Did religion not operate as a barrier to that minor nugget of moral progress?

Old Post May 24th, 2018 09:40 PM
Patient_Leech is currently offline Click here to Send Patient_Leech a Private Message Find more posts by Patient_Leech Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dadudemon

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Patient_Leech
Not necessarily. It depends on how you define religion and of course it depends on which religion and the degree of dogmatic belief held by the majority of people. That being said...

(please log in to view the image)

I'm going straight to Godwin's Law because this is definitely what the 3rd Reich tried to do: use science to fundementally push their core beliefs about the Aryan Race. Millions of people dead and 1 conquered Germany later, they suffered greatly.

I get what Sam is trying to say but zealotry, no matter the application, can lead to shitty outcomes. He would be better served saying, "Healthy interest in science-based policies, responsible progress, and the pursuit of pure knowledge will never cause the downfall of a civilization."

Last edited by dadudemon on May 24th, 2018 at 10:02 PM

Old Post May 24th, 2018 10:00 PM
dadudemon is currently offline Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Patient_Leech
System Failure

I don't think I get your point...

What's the significant difference between what he says on the meme and what you think he'd be better served in saying?

(obviously Nazi justification for Aryan superiority was not a rational or moral system.. and despite what people say, Hitler was at least cynically using Christianity as a justification to dehumanize the Jews -- I.E. using a fundamentally irrational belief system: Christianity.)

Last edited by Patient_Leech on May 26th, 2018 at 12:24 AM

Old Post May 26th, 2018 12:21 AM
Patient_Leech is currently offline Click here to Send Patient_Leech a Private Message Find more posts by Patient_Leech Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote