KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book 'Versus' Forum » Infinity Gauntlet VS Crisis on Infinite Earths

Infinity Gauntlet VS Crisis on Infinite Earths
Started by: WolverineX25

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
WolverineX25
Weapon X

Laugh Infinity Gauntlet VS Crisis on Infinite Earths

(please log in to view the image)

VS

(please log in to view the image)

Which is the greater saga?

1. In impact to their respective universes
2. In over-all creativity and storyline
3. Threat-Level to their Respective Characters and Realms
4. In Comic Book Cultural Impact
5. Your Personal Favorite

?

Old Post Nov 30th, 2017 12:15 AM
WolverineX25 is currently offline Click here to Send WolverineX25 a Private Message Find more posts by WolverineX25 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
zopzop
Lord of the Great Abyss

Crisis on Infinite Earths for 1-5, easily. COIE wins simply because of the company wide impact it had on DC, the IG saga pales in comparison.

..even the outer hells are indifferent matters for they bow only to potent and archaic Nodens.

Old Post Nov 30th, 2017 12:25 AM
zopzop is currently offline Click here to Send zopzop a Private Message Find more posts by zopzop Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm

Both haven't aged all that well, imo.

COIE clearly had a much bigger impact, on every level. IG, for the most part, is a story that catored to the "cosmic" nerds who like power tripping, and hit a big "reset" button by events end, and mostly only mattered to Thanos and his close circle of supporting characters going forward.

That said, I think I'd rather read IG today then COIE, and think it told a much better story overall.

Never let anyone else define you. Don't be a jerk just to be a jerk, but if you are expressing your true inner feelings and beliefs, or at least trying to express that inner child, and everyone gets pissed off about it, never NEVER apologize for it. Let them think what they want, let them define you in their narrow little minds while they suppress every last piece of them just to keep a friend that never liked them for themselves in the first place.

Old Post Nov 30th, 2017 12:25 AM
cdtm is currently offline Click here to Send cdtm a Private Message Find more posts by cdtm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
WolverineX25
Weapon X

Thank you guys for your feedback. Here is my take:

1. Crisis on Infinite Earths
2. Infinity Gauntlet
3. Equal
4. Infinity Gauntlet
5. Infinity Gauntlet

I personally think that Infinity Gauntlet (And the Infinity War and Infinity Crusade that follow after) is a better composed story arc than Crisis on Infinite Earths. Both are massively creative and have had major impact in the comic book world and in their respective fictional universes, but the Infinity Gauntlet truly portrayed a hungry villain's rise to ultimate power and the consequences that follow when a mortal achieves godhood.

What I loved the most about the conclusion of IG is that despite becoming the God of an Entire Universe, Thanos never became enlightened or better for it. Perhaps the experience proved to him how addicting power can be, but as with Adam Warlock, Cosmic Supremacy did not make either of them better people - they were still the same flawed broken characters they've always been, just with the power of a supreme being. As a concept I felt it was stronger than Crisis.

Old Post Nov 30th, 2017 12:33 AM
WolverineX25 is currently offline Click here to Send WolverineX25 a Private Message Find more posts by WolverineX25 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
abhilegend
Prince of All Saiyans

quote: (post)
Originally posted by WolverineX25
Thank you guys for your feedback. Here is my take:

1. Crisis on Infinite Earths
2. Infinity Gauntlet
3. Equal
4. Infinity Gauntlet
5. Infinity Gauntlet

I personally think that Infinity Gauntlet (And the Infinity War and Infinity Crusade that follow after) is a better composed story arc than Crisis on Infinite Earths. Both are massively creative and have had major impact in the comic book world and in their respective fictional universes, but the Infinity Gauntlet truly portrayed a hungry villain's rise to ultimate power and the consequences that follow when a mortal achieves godhood.

What I loved the most about the conclusion of IG is that despite becoming the God of an Entire Universe, Thanos never became enlightened or better for it. Perhaps the experience proved to him how addicting power can be, but as with Adam Warlock, Cosmic Supremacy did not make either of them better people - they were still the same flawed broken characters they've always been, just with the power of a supreme being. As a concept I felt it was stronger than Crisis.

laughing out loud

Infinity Gauntlet/War/Crusade are pale imitations of Starlin's original cosmic cube saga.

To even compare it to COIE in terms of influence or story is lulzworthy. Heck even Supergirl or Flash's death are better than anything in IG saga.

Old Post Nov 30th, 2017 03:55 AM
abhilegend is currently offline Click here to Send abhilegend a Private Message Find more posts by abhilegend Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Stoic
Avenger

I guess it boils down to personal preference. They both had their merits and short comings. Comparatively speaking you really can't compare them, as they had completely different direction.

Old Post Nov 30th, 2017 04:08 AM
Stoic is currently offline Click here to Send Stoic a Private Message Find more posts by Stoic Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
MrMind

COIE has more influence and was in a bigger scale, also made the biggest impact as far as any cross over events concerned. basically decided the direction of DC comics in the next 30 years. that's why everything in dc has been viewed as pre-crisis or post-crisis, hell even in battleboards
however with marvel popularity rising Infinity Gauntlet has grew into a more well known story

Old Post Nov 30th, 2017 04:12 AM
MrMind is currently offline Click here to Send MrMind a Private Message Find more posts by MrMind Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Senor Cage

COIE is the mother of all events, imo.

Old Post Nov 30th, 2017 04:58 AM
Senor Cage is currently offline Click here to Send Senor Cage a Private Message Find more posts by Senor Cage Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
xJLxKing

I liked Infinity Gauntlet more. Although, COIE definitely had a bigger impact. With that said, I somewhat dislike COIE. I have never liked comics that try to put multiple version of the same character in one story for the sake of creating a "bigger scope"

Old Post Nov 30th, 2017 05:21 AM
xJLxKing is currently offline Click here to Send xJLxKing a Private Message Find more posts by xJLxKing Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Insane Titan

COIE was boring

Old Post Nov 30th, 2017 11:46 AM
Insane Titan is currently offline Click here to Send Insane Titan a Private Message Find more posts by Insane Titan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
quanchi112
Disney

IG is one of the best storylines of all time. It's inspired one of the most anticipated films of all time as well. Coie is very forgettable. It's about preference in the end but to me IG is on another level.

Old Post Nov 30th, 2017 01:31 PM
quanchi112 is currently offline Click here to Send quanchi112 a Private Message Find more posts by quanchi112 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

Both hold up fairly well imo. Trying to laugh down opposing opinions over what is an entirely subjective opinion shows nothing except immaturity.

The upcoming movies will threaten to place IG as a cultural #1. But COIEs was legitimately company-changing at the time. It refreshed and streamlined DC and was arguably the only necessary reboot in major-company comic history. For my money, it felt more epic. And both also serve as reminders of how much more issue space they used to give big events compared to more modern ones. I miss the longer-form events as a storytelling format, relative to the usual 6-8 issues (and shorter, less packed issues) they're given today, as well as the endless tie-ins that aren't quite required but also lose something if you're not reading them. These self-contained, lengthy, epic stories were excellent, and a big reason I got into comics originally.

Old Post Nov 30th, 2017 03:09 PM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
tkitna

COIE sucked and was very unenjoyable.

IG rocked and was fun.

By Stoic

Old Post Nov 30th, 2017 03:51 PM
tkitna is currently offline Click here to Send tkitna a Private Message Find more posts by tkitna Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
quanchi112
Disney

Digi, there are two tribes here marvel and dc now choose wisely.

Old Post Nov 30th, 2017 03:52 PM
quanchi112 is currently offline Click here to Send quanchi112 a Private Message Find more posts by quanchi112 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

Originally posted by quanchi112
Digi, there are two tribes here marvel and dc now choose wisely.

Cool.

thumb up

Last edited by Digi on Nov 30th, 2017 at 05:15 PM

Old Post Nov 30th, 2017 05:12 PM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
abhilegend
Prince of All Saiyans

Originally posted by tkitna
COIE sucked and was very unenjoyable.

IG rocked and was fun.

IG was such a mess that George Perez left it to pencil War of the Gods.

It's got a few cool moments but after issue 3 it just drags on.

Old Post Nov 30th, 2017 05:47 PM
abhilegend is currently offline Click here to Send abhilegend a Private Message Find more posts by abhilegend Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SithLantern93

COIE, easily.

Old Post Nov 30th, 2017 06:16 PM
SithLantern93 is currently offline Click here to Send SithLantern93 a Private Message Find more posts by SithLantern93 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
WolverineX25
Weapon X

Crisis on Infinite Earths is far more crucial to DC then Infinity Gauntlet was to Marvel, because the events of IG were reversed. So in terms of impact, COIE is the more consequential event.

The Infinity Gauntlet, in my opinion, is just a better story. Yes, it has its flaws and it has some PIS - why the Living Tribunal refused to subdue Thanos, but had no problem forcing Adam Warlock to relinquish the gauntlet was complete stupidity and a story telling cop out - yes. But IG is still a greater story because of its concept.

Yes, Crisis was EPIC. There is no doubt. I love Crisis on Infinite Earths. Don't get me wrong. But the concept wasn't as strong to me as Infinity Gauntlet. COIE was very simply - the Anti-Monitor is using his power to destroy realities at a time. Our heroes must stop this cosmic tragedy. It's a classic good vs evil, defying the greatest odds cosmic battle. Great. Plenty of those.

With the Infinity Gauntlet it's not like that - you have Thanos, a pyschologically tormented being who finally achieves cosmic supremacy only to realize it's just not enough. Becoming "GOD" achieved nothing. Thanos could not win over Mistress Death. Despite all of his achieved power, she not only refused to love him, she actually ended up hating him. To make matters worse, she literally saved the devil from Thanos and joined Galactus and the cosmic alliance, betraying Thanos, in an attempt to stop him.

Thanos thought that ultimate power would make him worthy of Mistress Death's love. It didn't. He thought it would make him happy. He was just as miserable with such power, if not more so. Adam Warlock then obtained the gauntlet. He obtained no more peace or happiness than Thanos did. Power or Godhood did not "fix" these characters. They were still **** ups.

IG is just a more intelligent and meaningful story than COIE is. Both great work. But IG takes this one for me.

Old Post Nov 30th, 2017 10:51 PM
Senor Cage

Both are smart stories. Infinity Gauntlet rank is # 13 in comic book stories of all time with 668 points.

https://www.cbr.com/comic-book-top-storylines-15-13/2/

Let's see where COIE ranks. Probably in the top 10.

Old Post Nov 30th, 2017 11:46 PM
Senor Cage is currently offline Click here to Send Senor Cage a Private Message Find more posts by Senor Cage Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
RealityWarper
Restricted

Account Restricted

I enjoyed both. smile

Old Post Dec 1st, 2017 02:08 AM
RealityWarper is currently offline Click here to Send RealityWarper a Private Message Find more posts by RealityWarper Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote