KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » No justice for Kate Steinle!!!!

No justice for Kate Steinle!!!!
Started by: Darth Truculent

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): « 1 [2] 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Robtard
Senor Member

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Darth Truculent
Eternal, there are just as many American citizens if not more who use the system to their advantage.

But when someone who is a felon, deported 5 times and finally kills an innocent, beautiful young woman and gets away with it is an outright travesty. The justice system is rigged in California in favor of the guilty.

Saying "beautiful young woman" is a silly appeal to emotion. Would this be any less ****ed if the bullet hit and killed an ugly middle-aged man?

The Prosecution ****ed up, they overplayed themselves, expecting an easy verdict because of emotions due to who the victim was and who the criminal is, when they should have done this by the numbers.

You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Old Post Dec 1st, 2017 06:14 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dadudemon

Originally posted by Robtard
Saying "beautiful young woman" is a silly appeal to emotion. Would this be any less ****ed if the bullet hit and killed an ugly middle-aged man?

100% honest with you: absolutely. I wouldn't care at all (maybe just a tiny bit). But I care just a little bit that it was a beautiful young woman.

no expression

Old Post Dec 1st, 2017 06:17 PM
dadudemon is currently offline Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Eternal Idol
Lono, "The Dog"

Originally posted by Surtur
Well here is the thing, these pieces of shit keep coming back lol. If we can't stop that? Imprison the f*ckheads. I do not want to hear bullshit stories where these people have been deported dozens of times, that shit is pathetic.

That doesn't make any sense as a standard measure, though. It would make sense to do that for violent convicted felons, but not for those whose only crime was being caught entering the country undocumented or staying beyond their visas' expiration. Sentencing both groups equally to 20 years in prison, such as you're proposing, would not be just. From a financial perspective, it also would be cheaper to return them to their home countries than it would be to incarcerate them.

Old Post Dec 1st, 2017 06:17 PM
Eternal Idol is currently offline Click here to Send Eternal Idol a Private Message Find more posts by Eternal Idol Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

Originally posted by dadudemon
100% honest with you: absolutely. I wouldn't care at all (maybe just a tiny bit). But I care just a little bit that it was a beautiful young woman.

no expression

And that's a real problem with our justice sytem, considering if you were on a jury, that bias shouldn't factor in when you're weighing in

Old Post Dec 1st, 2017 06:20 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Eternal Idol
Lono, "The Dog"

And that's a real problem with our justice system, considering if you were on a jury, that bias shouldn't factor in when you're weighing in

Agreed. I've always thought sentencing should be standardized and equal, regardless of whom is the guilty party. Likewise, who the victim was should not play nearly as big a role as it currently does now.

This case is tragic, and I can't imagine what the girl's family must have gone through...but let's be honest here: this case would not have made the headlines it's made if the victim were not a young and pretty white girl, and had her accused killer not have been an undocumented Latino.

Old Post Dec 1st, 2017 06:42 PM
Eternal Idol is currently offline Click here to Send Eternal Idol a Private Message Find more posts by Eternal Idol Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dadudemon

And that's a real problem with our justice sytem, considering if you were on a jury, that bias shouldn't factor in when you're weighing in

You've hit on something that is far deeper than just culture. This "attractive person is less guilty" knows no culture. Also, being attractive spills over into almost all aspects of a person's life when it comes to all sorts of success factors.

We are animals. We are not nebulous energy clouds whose gaseous forms can change volume and shape on a whim.

We are animals who reproduce, sexually. So, obviously, that's going to come with a shit ton of baggage that may not sit well with pure, objective, thought and judgment.

People will, naturally, feel more upset over a beautiful young woman being wrongfully murdered than an uggo-middle aged man.

Edit - I know you know all of this. Just fleshing out the point that I'm not some crazy loon because I am admitting to a bias that is present in almost every single human. On the flip side, I also should not be praised for "honesty" because it's not very honest to admit the obvious. It would be dishonest and hypocritical to deny the obvious.

Old Post Dec 1st, 2017 07:18 PM
dadudemon is currently offline Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

Good article about the verdict.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-new...sonable-n825731

It's pretty obvious why First and second degree murder didn't fly, it's difficult to argue that shooting her was intentional when the bullet ricocheted off the concrete before hitting her, unless the guy intentionally did a crazy trick-shot or something.

The question about involuntary manslaughter is a bit more murky. The expert in the article makes the following suggestion -
quote:
Weisberg, the criminal justice professor, who was not involved in the case, said he was "particularly surprised" that the jury did not convict Garcia Zarate of manslaughter. "It's not improbable to think that the shooting showed a gross kind of negligence," he said.

Weisberg said prosecutors may have had trouble reconciling the first- and second-degree murder charges with the involuntary manslaughter charge. "It could be that they were just in a situation where they couldn't make an argument that the shooting was both accidental and intentional," he said.

So yeah, sounds like the prosecution just botched this case and couldn't negate a reasonable doubt. Maybe overplayed their hand. Seems to happen a lot.

Old Post Dec 1st, 2017 10:45 PM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bashar Teg
Senior Mentat

now he gets to prance about claiming innocence and vindication, because he got lucky. just like george zimmerman and oj.

Your Lord knows very well what is in your heart. Your soul suffices this day as a reckoner against you. I need no witnesses. You do not listen to your soul, but listen instead to your anger and your rage.

Old Post Dec 1st, 2017 10:52 PM
Bashar Teg is currently offline Click here to Send Bashar Teg a Private Message Find more posts by Bashar Teg Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Considering his multiple drug convictions, he shouldn't have been let go. The police ****ed up there.

Considering he was an illegal and they knew that, he shouldn't have been let go either way.

So San Francisco killed Kate Steinle, make no mistake about it. And yesterday they got away with it.

Old Post Dec 2nd, 2017 12:19 AM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
vansonbee
Isee

Basically liberals secured a 2nd term for Trump 2020....

Old Post Dec 2nd, 2017 01:32 AM
vansonbee is currently offline Click here to Send vansonbee a Private Message Find more posts by vansonbee Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Raisen

There was a lot of people already mad about this steinle situation. For years.

I hope people don't do anything stupid

Old Post Dec 2nd, 2017 03:26 PM
Raisen is currently offline Click here to Send Raisen a Private Message Find more posts by Raisen Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Deport him, and if he ever sets foot here again...he never leaves a prison.

Old Post Dec 2nd, 2017 05:02 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Flyattractor

Originally posted by Raisen
There was a lot of people already mad about this steinle situation. For years.

I hope people don't do anything stupid

Yeah. Those Conservatives go out and Riot at the drop of a hat....Oh wait...
confused

Old Post Dec 2nd, 2017 08:13 PM
Flyattractor is currently offline Click here to Send Flyattractor a Private Message Find more posts by Flyattractor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Flyattractor

Some decent questions raised.

Old Post Dec 3rd, 2017 05:20 AM
Flyattractor is currently offline Click here to Send Flyattractor a Private Message Find more posts by Flyattractor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

Originally posted by Bashar Teg
now he gets to prance about claiming innocence and vindication, because he got lucky. just like george zimmerman and oj.

Nah, he's still facing other charges, unlike Zimmerman and OJ.

Old Post Dec 3rd, 2017 10:54 PM
Bashar Teg
Senior Mentat

good.

Your Lord knows very well what is in your heart. Your soul suffices this day as a reckoner against you. I need no witnesses. You do not listen to your soul, but listen instead to your anger and your rage.

Old Post Dec 3rd, 2017 11:04 PM
Bashar Teg is currently offline Click here to Send Bashar Teg a Private Message Find more posts by Bashar Teg Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Afro Cheese

Zimmerman was self defense. OJ just got lucky though.

I also wouldn't have a problem with throwing some prison time at illegals that have been deported multiple times. Clearly deportation isn't working in their case.

Last edited by Afro Cheese on Dec 4th, 2017 at 12:13 AM

Old Post Dec 4th, 2017 12:11 AM
Afro Cheese is currently offline Click here to Send Afro Cheese a Private Message Find more posts by Afro Cheese Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Eternal Idol
Lono, "The Dog"

Originally posted by Afro Cheese
Zimmerman was self defense. OJ just got lucky though.

I also wouldn't have a problem with throwing some prison time at illegals that have been deported multiple times. Clearly deportation isn't working in their case.

Again, I ask, where is the logic in that?

People are so worked up about undocumented immigrants entering the country and allegedly using tax-funded services and programs while contributing nothing back in income taxes, but you want to incarcerate them, feed them, clothe them, and pay for whatever medical care they receive in prison, at the expense of the taxpayer, in a situation where they absolutely cannot contribute to publicly-funded programs and services.

That's not very smart, nor is it cost-effective. It's cheaper and easier to return them to their home countries, in spite of however many times they may have been deported only to return.

Of course, we could always reform our immigration policies and make it quicker and easier to emigrate and become a U.S. citizen...but nobody wants to talk about that now, do they?

Old Post Dec 4th, 2017 04:43 AM
Afro Cheese

Originally posted by Eternal Idol
Again, I ask, where is the logic in that?

People are so worked up about undocumented immigrants entering the country and allegedly using tax-funded services and programs while contributing nothing back in income taxes, but you want to incarcerate them, feed them, clothe them, and pay for whatever medical care they receive in prison, at the expense of the taxpayer, in a situation where they absolutely cannot contribute to publicly-funded programs and services.

That's not very smart, nor is it cost-effective. It's cheaper and easier to return them to their home countries, in spite of however many times they may have been deported only to return.
Cheaper and easier in the short term, of course. But essentially pointless if the deportation provides them no incentive not to return and commit the same crime again and again. Which is where prison comes in.

quote:
Of course, we could always reform our immigration policies and make it quicker and easier to emigrate and become a U.S. citizen...but nobody wants to talk about that now, do they?
That's not a serious alternative to enforcing our immigration policies. That's basically like saying let as many of them in as they want... open borders type scenario. Cause other than that there are ALWAYS going to be people who get rejected or turned away and thus have the incentive to sneak into this country.

Old Post Dec 4th, 2017 07:23 AM
Afro Cheese is currently offline Click here to Send Afro Cheese a Private Message Find more posts by Afro Cheese Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Rockydonovang
freedom fighter

Originally posted by Afro Cheese
Cheaper and easier in the short term, of course. But essentially pointless if the deportation provides them no incentive not to return and commit the same crime again and again. Which is where prison comes in.

I'm sure you have actual evidence to back up this claim?

Old Post Dec 4th, 2017 07:36 AM
Rockydonovang is currently offline Click here to Send Rockydonovang a Private Message Find more posts by Rockydonovang Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote