KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movies » Movie Discussion » Tarantino possibility for Star Trek film

Tarantino possibility for Star Trek film
Started by: quanchi112

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): « 1 [2] 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Inhuman
Icey Dead People

quote: (post)
Originally posted by marwash22
i don't want to see a non-Quentin Tarantino, Quentin Tarantino movie.

I don't want to see Wes Anderson adapt to anything when i watch a Wes Anderson movie, i want to watch Wes Anderson do his specific thing. Same applies to Quentin; he has a distinct style and what's the point of having Quentin Tarantino direct a movie if it's not his style... may as well just get literally ANYONE else if he's just going to "adapt".

I'm no Trekkie, but I know enough to know that Quentin's style and Star Trek do not mix.

thumb up

Old Post Dec 5th, 2017 05:24 PM
Inhuman is currently offline Click here to Send Inhuman a Private Message Find more posts by Inhuman Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-

Tarantino has talked about Star Trek before. If he wrote AND directed his own Star Trek movie (which I honestly don't think he will), I could see it working. He's a man that's renowned for being able to take all sorts of genres and make his own enjoyable version of them.

I don't think we'll get anything like the Kelvin Timeline movies, though. I have a feeling Tarantino would either go campy 60s, or go hard sci fi. I'd like to see either of those, and I think what Tarantino would do was to go back to the Star Trek tradition of asking hard ethical/moral/philosophical questions.

Tarantino hasn't really done sci fi before, but given the last three movies, I really don't see Tarantino hurting the brand if the movie didn't resonate.

It's an experiment I'd really like to see.

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured... the first thought forbidden... the first freedom denied chains us all irrevocably."

Old Post Dec 5th, 2017 05:40 PM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Impediment
Relentless

If Christoph Waltz is the captain of the ship, sign me up.

"We are not children of celestial f*ckin' light, walkin' arm-in-arm into the Age of Aquarius. We are wankers who
wreck the planet an' piss on each other, 'til half the world's starvin' an' the other half's busy findin'
new ways to keep from noticin' it. That's the f*ckin' limit've our potential, believe me."

Old Post Dec 5th, 2017 05:46 PM
Impediment is currently offline Click here to Send Impediment a Private Message Find more posts by Impediment Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Inhuman
Icey Dead People

Originally posted by -Pr-
Tarantino has talked about Star Trek before. If he wrote AND directed his own Star Trek movie (which I honestly don't think he will), I could see it working. He's a man that's renowned for being able to take all sorts of genres and make his own enjoyable version of them.

I don't think we'll get anything like the Kelvin Timeline movies, though. I have a feeling Tarantino would either go campy 60s, or go hard sci fi. I'd like to see either of those, and I think what Tarantino would do was to go back to the Star Trek tradition of asking hard ethical/moral/philosophical questions.

Tarantino hasn't really done sci fi before, but given the last three movies, I really don't see Tarantino hurting the brand if the movie didn't resonate.

It's an experiment I'd really like to see.

I wouldn't mind Tarantino making a sci-fi movie in his unique style, but I would want that sci-fi movie be his own material he wrote from the ground up like he has been doing his whole career. Him being restricted to follow certain things from the Star Trek canon, like characters and lore doesn't seem like a good fit for Tarantino.

Last edited by Inhuman on Dec 5th, 2017 at 05:52 PM

Old Post Dec 5th, 2017 05:48 PM
Inhuman is currently offline Click here to Send Inhuman a Private Message Find more posts by Inhuman Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-

Originally posted by Inhuman
I wouldn't mind Tarantino making a sci-fi movie in his unique style, but I would want that sci-fi movie be his own material he wrote from the ground up like he has been doing his whole career. Him being restricted to follow certain things from the Star Trek canon, like characters and lore doesn't seem like a good fit for Tarantino.

I don't mean to sound glib, but Star Trek Discovery didn't really give a shit either, and they got enough butts in seats (though that's not my endorsement of the show).

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured... the first thought forbidden... the first freedom denied chains us all irrevocably."

Old Post Dec 5th, 2017 06:55 PM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BruceSkywalker
The BatLord of the Jedi

Originally posted by Impediment
If Christoph Waltz is the captain of the ship, sign me up.

good choice

Thanks Steve... The Darkside of the force...

Old Post Dec 5th, 2017 10:59 PM
BruceSkywalker is currently offline Click here to Send BruceSkywalker a Private Message Find more posts by BruceSkywalker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dr Will Hatch

Originally posted by Surtur
This is true and false. His style 100% does not mix with Trek, the actual Trek. The tv shows. His style does fit in more with this Nu Trek stuff. Which is essentially Star Wars, but with Star Trek characters.

He'd have no place directing an episode of TNG, for example.

He said that one of his favorite episodes was "Yesterday's Enterprise", a TNG episode. He also said that he disliked Star Trek Into Darkness.

Old Post Dec 6th, 2017 03:11 AM
Dr Will Hatch is currently offline Click here to Send Dr Will Hatch a Private Message Find more posts by Dr Will Hatch Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Firefly218
Browncoat

I feel like Tarantino would choose someone out of the box to be a captain, like Julianne Moore or Robert De Niro

Old Post Dec 6th, 2017 03:16 AM
Firefly218 is currently offline Click here to Send Firefly218 a Private Message Find more posts by Firefly218 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
quanchi112
Unavoidable

Originally posted by Dr Will Hatch
He said that one of his favorite episodes was "Yesterday's Enterprise", a TNG episode. He also said that he disliked Star Trek Into Darkness.
Did that no good son of a ***** the masterpiece known as Into Darkness.

Old Post Dec 6th, 2017 03:48 AM
quanchi112 is online now! Click here to Send quanchi112 a Private Message Find more posts by quanchi112 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Firefly218
Browncoat

Originally posted by quanchi112
Did that no good son of a ***** the masterpiece known as Into Darkness.
He didn't say the movie is bad, he said he didn't like that Benedict Cumberbatch was cast as Khan because it was incongruous with the original Khan.

Old Post Dec 6th, 2017 03:51 AM
Firefly218 is currently offline Click here to Send Firefly218 a Private Message Find more posts by Firefly218 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
quanchi112
Unavoidable

Originally posted by Firefly218
He didn't say the movie is bad, he said he didn't like that Benedict Cumberbatch was cast as Khan because it was incongruous with the original Khan.
BeneKhan is the Khan to end all Khans. The original Khan was pretty terrible tbh. People are insane.

Old Post Dec 6th, 2017 03:52 AM
quanchi112 is online now! Click here to Send quanchi112 a Private Message Find more posts by quanchi112 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur

Originally posted by quanchi112
This would be a Nu Trek film so I'm right. The old Trek shit never had an impressive following. NU Trek is what I loved not that old Trek.

I can't see how you can say old Trek didn't have an impressive following. They also have far more of a dedicated fanbase than Nu Trek films lol. People like the Nu Trek because it's flashy. Lots of explosions and action.

Old Trek is different. These are established characters with loads of appearances for character building. We've seen Nu Kirk 3 times. 3 different adventures. Shatner Kirk had dozens of adventures to pull from and build character. Both Picard and Sisko also had 150+ episodes worth of character development.

I could tell you a lot about the main crew members from the Trek shows. All I can tell you about, for example, Nu Sulu is he is good with a sword and apparently is gay.

Last edited by Surtur on Dec 6th, 2017 at 04:08 PM

Old Post Dec 6th, 2017 04:03 PM
Surtur is online now! Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
KMC's #1 Rated Member

Sounds questionable on paper no doubt, but I'm down as he's a good director. Let him have his shot, if he bungles it up, move on to the next director.

You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Old Post Dec 6th, 2017 05:39 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
quanchi112
Unavoidable

Originally posted by Surtur
I can't see how you can say old Trek didn't have an impressive following. They also have far more of a dedicated fanbase than Nu Trek films lol. People like the Nu Trek because it's flashy. Lots of explosions and action.

Old Trek is different. These are established characters with loads of appearances for character building. We've seen Nu Kirk 3 times. 3 different adventures. Shatner Kirk had dozens of adventures to pull from and build character. Both Picard and Sisko also had 150+ episodes worth of character development.

I could tell you a lot about the main crew members from the Trek shows. All I can tell you about, for example, Nu Sulu is he is good with a sword and apparently is gay.
If it was impressive as you thought it could hold a candle to Star Wars but since it can't they need to attract newer fans since the base never rivaled Lotr or Potter like draw outs either.

I don't need to see these guys for hundred plus hours to get a feel for them. Less is usually more. I don't need to see Freddy Krueger taking a shit and random scenes prior to the transformation.

**** old trek save Spock.

Old Post Dec 6th, 2017 08:24 PM
BruceSkywalker
The BatLord of the Jedi

if tarantino does actually write and direct a trek film , i can see him making a brand new trek film that has nothing to do with the kelvin timeline.. i could actually see it something like wrath of khan where they took an existing character from the tv show and expanded on it

Old Post Dec 6th, 2017 09:34 PM
BruceSkywalker is currently offline Click here to Send BruceSkywalker a Private Message Find more posts by BruceSkywalker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
playa1258
#1 Thanos Fan

We could see a big screen adaption of Yesterday's Enterprise from TNG.

Old Post Dec 6th, 2017 09:45 PM
playa1258 is currently offline Click here to Send playa1258 a Private Message Find more posts by playa1258 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

Originally posted by playa1258
We could see a big screen adaption of Yesterday's Enterprise from TNG.

But with the Enterprise-A coming through the portal instead of the Enterprise-C.

Hes a fan of both the Original and Next Gen so certainly possible his film might cross over into the Next Gen.

Old Post Dec 6th, 2017 11:20 PM
Darth Thor is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jaden101
It's Fat Albert

It would probably have Walton Goggins shooting space n1gg3rs in the face.

You come at the King, you best not miss!

Old Post Dec 6th, 2017 11:30 PM
jaden101 is currently offline Click here to Send jaden101 a Private Message Find more posts by jaden101 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BruceSkywalker
The BatLord of the Jedi

f cu\ourse i am not in the writer's room but perhaps we could see a trek movie whose captain is not named kirk or picard

Old Post Dec 7th, 2017 12:28 AM
Firefly218
Browncoat

Originally posted by BruceSkywalker
f cu\ourse i am not in the writer's room but perhaps we could see a trek movie whose captain is not named kirk or picard
kircard

Old Post Dec 7th, 2017 03:52 PM