KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » US Supreme Pizza Part II: Bake a Cake

US Supreme Pizza Part II: Bake a Cake
Started by: Emperordmb

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (28): « First ... « 26 27 [28]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
cdtm
@#$%

Re: US Supreme Pizza Part II: Bake a Cake

Is this the baker who was asked for a blank cake?

Not much excuse, if that's the case. Even if this is a pretty obvious stunt (They chose a Christian baker, after all. Not likely an accident, that.)

Old Post Feb 6th, 2018 08:45 PM
cdtm is currently offline Click here to Send cdtm a Private Message Find more posts by cdtm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur

quote: (post)
Originally posted by cdtm
Is this the baker who was asked for a blank cake?

Not much excuse, if that's the case. Even if this is a pretty obvious stunt (They chose a Christian baker, after all. Not likely an accident, that.)

Not only that, but they claim that after they were told no they went and burst into tears over it. That just seems made up to me.

Old Post Feb 6th, 2018 09:34 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Ellimist

I think that anti-discrimination laws, when not overdone, are helpful in situations where the prejudice is so overwhelming you can't get market alternatives (e.g. the Deep South in 1950). I suppose, then, that federal law on the issue to some extent makes sense, but I'm not sure to what degree.

Old Post Feb 6th, 2018 09:36 PM
The Ellimist is online now! Click here to Send The Ellimist a Private Message Find more posts by The Ellimist Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dadudemon

Originally posted by ArtificialGlory
If it's a commission, then say, for example, an artist could refuse to draw a picture or a painting that goes against their beliefs or whatever, right?

Right. In this case, he did not deny them the ability to purchase any of the premade things.

Old Post Feb 6th, 2018 09:40 PM
dadudemon is currently offline Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
snowdragon

Originally posted by Robtard
Let's not pretend that bigotry against someone's sexual orientation is all than different that bigotry against someone's skin color, religion, sex etc.

So if baker A) can refuse to bake a cake for two men due to the baker's beliefs. Why can't baker B) refuse to bake a cake for a black man and white woman's wedding due to his beliefs? Why is one protected under "freedom" and the other is discrimination?

edit: Should also add, not sure 'freedom of religion/beliefs' covers freedom to be bigoted and deny service? Otherwise someone could refuse service to say a handicapped person and say "well, my religious beliefs" as the excuse.

There is truth in what you said, however in this particular instance it wasn't denial of service rather it was a very particular product that he didn't want to make. So while I see where someone might take that slippery slope argument however it isn't needed, it's just more govt oversight dictating actions.

There are enough social factors and the market itself that can correct outliers like this where no govt intervention is required.

If this guy had just said, sorry I'm busy then nothing would have happened. By stating his position based on his beliefs then the govt needs to intervene.....that is a problem.

Last edited by snowdragon on Feb 6th, 2018 at 10:09 PM

Old Post Feb 6th, 2018 10:07 PM
snowdragon is currently offline Click here to Send snowdragon a Private Message Find more posts by snowdragon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote