KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » US Supreme Pizza Part II: Bake a Cake

US Supreme Pizza Part II: Bake a Cake
Started by: Emperordmb

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (44): « First ... « 33 34 [35] 36 37 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Scribble

quote: (post)
Originally posted by dadudemon
I'd say that you're very very low on the spectrum. You're certainly more socially capable and adept than Symmetric Chaos and SC was a high-functioning autist.

Or do your symptoms manifest in other ways that cannot be seen on a message board (such as, lots of people in a group setting may cause you to shut down or certain textures or colors will elicit a strong negative reaction)?

Anyway, this post was not intended as an insult to you, it was intended as a backhanded compliment. I could not tell at all you were on the spectrum and I'm curious about your autism.
Autism is a pretty large spectrum, so the 'symptoms' often manifest themselves in vastly different ways – from the incredibly obvious to the ridiculously subtle. You know this, but it seems like a good preface to the post.

Mine is fairly hideable, but it takes a lot of effort, and the only reason I can do so is due to a severe amount of self-awareness that has been learnt over a long period of time. I still very much shut down in social situations where I have no personal crutch to rely on. I was 100% the "I like dinosaurs and wearing this one specific shirt every day" kid at school, etc. Probably school shooter material if I were American.

It's something you can learn to live with, over time. But as an example of how it can affect life on a serious, adult level: I freaked out over being misunderstood while drunk with work friends, and when someone tried to physically comfort me, it completely sent me over the edge. The whole physical contact thing is ****ing scary, yo.

And don't get me started on textures and shit. Even looking at ice pops / ice lollies is enough to make me feel sick. You have a good knowledge of autism – I didn't even realise my ice aversion was an autistic trait.

But yeah, tl;dr aside, I just think that using it as an insult (which is quite common these days) is reductive and pointless. Also, major props for actually having deep knowledge about the subject you're discussing.

Old Post Jun 6th, 2018 07:24 PM
Scribble is currently offline Click here to Send Scribble a Private Message Find more posts by Scribble Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dadudemon

Originally posted by Scribble
Autism is a pretty large spectrum, so the 'symptoms' often manifest themselves in vastly different ways – from the incredibly obvious to the ridiculously subtle. You know this, but it seems like a good preface to the post.

Mine is fairly hideable, but it takes a lot of effort, and the only reason I can do so is due to a severe amount of self-awareness that has been learnt over a long period of time. I still very much shut down in social situations where I have no personal crutch to rely on. I was 100% the "I like dinosaurs and wearing this one specific shirt every day" kid at school, etc. Probably school shooter material if I were American.

It's something you can learn to live with, over time. But as an example of how it can affect life on a serious, adult level: I freaked out over being misunderstood while drunk with work friends, and when someone tried to physically comfort me, it completely sent me over the edge. The whole physical contact thing is ****ing scary, yo.

And don't get me started on textures and shit. Even looking at ice pops / ice lollies is enough to make me feel sick. You have a good knowledge of autism – I didn't even realise my ice aversion was an autistic trait.

But yeah, tl;dr aside, I just think that using it as an insult (which is quite common these days) is reductive and pointless. Also, major props for actually having deep knowledge about the subject you're discussing.

This is very different and new for me that someone like you could be on the spectrum. I've known you for years and your EQis better than most (just guessing).

Just goes to show that "common ideas" just don't cut it.

To be more clear, I've never run into the kind that had high EQ but had other symptoms like the textures/colors thing. I have always seen those go hand-in-hand with different symptoms almost always manifesting in reinforcing, stronger ways.

And, I agree with you. I don't want to shit on Robtard but I generally disagree with the calling of people "autistic" on the internet. It's being used like "gay" used to be used when I was in secondary school as a young man.

Also, one thing I find almost infuriating is that a person with perfectly normal intelligence and self-awareness can have a very weird and strong manifestation of autism. They are 100% aware that their brain refuses to process stimulus correctly, know exactly what will set them off, but can't do a damn thing about it (except prepare, train, and avoid the situations). What some do not understand is that it is similar to, say...a sneeze. Once the sneeze starts, you can't really stop it. It just happens. It's not the same by any means but it does give an example for people not living in that body to understand what it feels like.

I do not have autism. I am on the opposite side completely. But I did work with children who had autism, for years, in high school. I've been hit in the face and in the stomach (and got the wind knocked out of me) but I never hated the little boogers. big grin

Old Post Jun 6th, 2018 10:28 PM
dadudemon is currently offline Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Scribble

Originally posted by dadudemon
This is very different and new for me that someone like you could be on the spectrum. I've known you for years and your EQis better than most (just guessing).

Just goes to show that "common ideas" just don't cut it.

To be more clear, I've never run into the kind that had high EQ but had other symptoms like the textures/colors thing. I have always seen those go hand-in-hand with different symptoms almost always manifesting in reinforcing, stronger ways.

And, I agree with you. I don't want to shit on Robtard but I generally disagree with the calling of people "autistic" on the internet. It's being used like "gay" used to be used when I was in secondary school as a young man.

Also, one thing I find almost infuriating is that a person with perfectly normal intelligence and self-awareness can have a very weird and strong manifestation of autism. They are 100% aware that their brain refuses to process stimulus correctly, know exactly what will set them off, but can't do a damn thing about it (except prepare, train, and avoid the situations). What some do not understand is that it is similar to, say...a sneeze. Once the sneeze starts, you can't really stop it. It just happens. It's not the same by any means but it does give an example for people not living in that body to understand what it feels like.

I do not have autism. I am on the opposite side completely. But I did work with children who had autism, for years, in high school. I've been hit in the face and in the stomach (and got the wind knocked out of me) but I never hated the little boogers. big grin
Yeah, it's definitely nowhere near as simple as common understanding has frequently portrayed it. It all ties into the idea of neurodiversity, that all human brains are different and can exhibit wildly different aspects of different conditions or 'disorders' from person to person. I don't know too much about it all, but I find it fascinating.

I've worked a fair bit with people with learning difficulties and varying forms of autism myself, as well as knowing a large number of people who have diagnosed forms of autism (like myself), and you're right, high EQ is definitely not something that crops up much.

High IQ, definitely, in fact the emotionally-distant autistic genius is basically a stereotype by now. I hadn't thought about it much but it is a strange combination – sadly not one I can comment much on yet, as I hadn't even really considered that about myself before. I just have a much higher EQ (defo higher than average) than IQ (which is around average, maybe slightly lower as I'm not great at maths) combined with autistic traits, I guess. I was a lot more 'classically' autistic when I was younger though, as I said before.

But yeah, using 'autistic' as an insult is definitely an increasing trend on the internet, definitely reminiscent of 'gay' (which is still fairly prevalent in some areas, but definitely less pronounced, at least here in the UK), since as we've discussed here, what constitutes 'autism' is an incredibly wide spectrum, so turning it into a catch-all name-call is just kind of silly.

Anyway, I'll stop derailing this thread to all hell, but I enjoyed this discussion. thumb up

My final thoughts on the Cake Baking scenario: I agree with the final decision, when you think about the idea that a government should be able to force someone to bake a cake, it really puts it in perspective. That's edging on the kind of parody of authoritarian regimes and societies that you'd find in a Kafka story, and forcing people to do things they don't want to do is not a particularly effective way of changing their own views or society at large.

Old Post Jun 7th, 2018 07:54 PM
Scribble is currently offline Click here to Send Scribble a Private Message Find more posts by Scribble Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

This is getting old.

Colorado is targeting Christian baker Jack Phillips — again. This time, he’s going on the offensive.

"On June 26, 2017 — the exact same day the Supreme Court agreed to hear Phillips’ case — a lawyer called Masterpiece Cakeshop asking for a birthday cake. The lawyer requested the cake be pink on the inside and blue on the outside, explaining it would be used to celebrate the seventh anniversary of her gender transition.

Masterpiece declined to make the cake and explained it could not, in good conscience, bake a cake celebrating a transgender message. The shop offered to bake other cakes or sell the lawyer a pre-designed cake. The lawyer declined.

On July 20, 2017, the lawyer — Autumn Scardina — filed a discrimination complaint with the Colorado Civil Rights Commission alleging Phillips discriminated against her because she is transgender.

Nearly a year later on June 28, 2018 — just 24 days after the Supreme Court ruled in Phillips’ favor — the commission moved against Phillips again, claiming it found probable cause he violated the state’s anti-discrimination law.'

The lawyer is a piece of trash.

Old Post Aug 15th, 2018 04:22 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dadudemon

Originally posted by Surtur
This is getting old.

Colorado is targeting Christian baker Jack Phillips — again. This time, he’s going on the offensive.

"On June 26, 2017 — the exact same day the Supreme Court agreed to hear Phillips’ case — a lawyer called Masterpiece Cakeshop asking for a birthday cake. The lawyer requested the cake be pink on the inside and blue on the outside, explaining it would be used to celebrate the seventh anniversary of her gender transition.

Masterpiece declined to make the cake and explained it could not, in good conscience, bake a cake celebrating a transgender message. The shop offered to bake other cakes or sell the lawyer a pre-designed cake. The lawyer declined.

On July 20, 2017, the lawyer — Autumn Scardina — filed a discrimination complaint with the Colorado Civil Rights Commission alleging Phillips discriminated against her because she is transgender.

Nearly a year later on June 28, 2018 — just 24 days after the Supreme Court ruled in Phillips’ favor — the commission moved against Phillips again, claiming it found probable cause he violated the state’s anti-discrimination law.'

Hmm

He's consistent.

I still disagree with his bigotry but I definitely support his right to refuse service.

I actually just formed my own cake shop. I don't run it, of course. But I do have a policy about taking on new clients. They have to fill out a form before we accept their custom cake orders. One of the questions on the form is, "Have you posted on any social media site, recently, about something that offended you?"

If they answer yes to that question, they are automatically rejected. We have a rejection template printed on a card that we hand them.

It says, "Your order has been turned down.

Because you possess the emotional maturity of a toddler, we cannot in good conscience enter into a legally binding contract with you as that would be taking advantage of the mentally disabled. We expressly abhor businesses who take advantage of people like you.

We apologize for an inconvenience this presents."

Old Post Aug 15th, 2018 04:40 PM
dadudemon is currently offline Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Lol damn you basically have an anti SJW policy thumb up

Old Post Aug 15th, 2018 04:42 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Emperordmb
LSDMB

Until the Supreme Court makes a clear verdict on this type of thing, I feel like people are going to intentionally keep doing this to this baker.

Shadilay my brothers and sisters. With any luck we will throw off the shackles of normie oppression. We have nothing to lose but our chains! Praise Kek!
THE MOTTO IS "IN KEK WE TRUST"

Old Post Aug 15th, 2018 05:04 PM
Emperordmb is currently offline Click here to Send Emperordmb a Private Message Find more posts by Emperordmb Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

The baker should really just ask himself: "WWJD?"

Would Jesus bake a cake that is pink on the inside and blue on the outside if Jesus had been a baker instead of a carpenter. Jesus would have.

You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Old Post Aug 15th, 2018 05:07 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Robtard
The baker should really just ask himself: "WWJD?"

Would Jesus bake a cake that is pink on the inside and blue on the outside if Jesus had been a baker instead of a carpenter. Jesus would have.

Would Jesus have forced someone not comfortable baking the cake to bake the cake?

Old Post Aug 15th, 2018 09:38 PM
MythLord
Diamond

Why da fuq would he not bake the cake, though? It's retarded on his part.

"Hello, Starlight."

Old Post Aug 16th, 2018 08:12 AM
MythLord is currently offline Click here to Send MythLord a Private Message Find more posts by MythLord Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Emperordmb
LSDMB

Why the **** would these people not just find another ****ing baker? Like holy shit is this mother ****er the only baker in Colorado or some shit?!

Shadilay my brothers and sisters. With any luck we will throw off the shackles of normie oppression. We have nothing to lose but our chains! Praise Kek!
THE MOTTO IS "IN KEK WE TRUST"

Old Post Aug 16th, 2018 08:39 AM
Emperordmb is currently offline Click here to Send Emperordmb a Private Message Find more posts by Emperordmb Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
MythLord
Diamond

Well, she's gonna have to find another baker now cause he refused to bake the fvcking cake.

"Hello, Starlight."

Old Post Aug 16th, 2018 09:02 AM
MythLord is currently offline Click here to Send MythLord a Private Message Find more posts by MythLord Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Eternal Idol
Lono, "The Dog"

Originally posted by MythLord
Why da fuq would he not bake the cake, though? It's retarded on his part.

Yeah, it is. He hurt his business by alienating prospective clients, and the negative feedback after the story broke out lost him more potential clients. He's passing judgement on people he knows nothing about, which Jesus/the Bible forbade, and refusing them service due to his bigotry.

He bakes cakes for a living. Customers came to his bakery to request a cake that was pink with blue frosting, and he refused. Why? It's not like they asked him to bake the cake and join them for a gay orgy, or offered sexual favors in lieu of cash in exchange for the cake. They didn't ask him to bake a dick cake or a pussy cake. He could have simply baked the fvcking cake, put the figurines on it, completed the order, made some money, and done it all free of sin and without being less of a man.

Would he refuse to bake devil's food cake too, for fear of angering Jesus? Probably not, and his rationale would probably be that it's just a fvcking cake. If he did, he's a superstitious mental case with dick frosting.

Old Post Aug 16th, 2018 09:11 AM
Eternal Idol is currently offline Click here to Send Eternal Idol a Private Message Find more posts by Eternal Idol Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Beniboybling
Worst Member

This is getting old.

best start firing up the ovens

Old Post Aug 16th, 2018 10:18 AM
Beniboybling is currently offline Click here to Send Beniboybling a Private Message Find more posts by Beniboybling Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by MythLord
Well, she's gonna have to find another baker now cause he refused to bake the fvcking cake.

Oh lawdy! The humanity! The humanity!

Old Post Aug 16th, 2018 11:32 AM
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Eternal Idol
Yeah, it is. He hurt his business by alienating prospective clients, and the negative feedback after the story broke out lost him more potential clients. He's passing judgement on people he knows nothing about, which Jesus/the Bible forbade, and refusing them service due to his bigotry.

Who cares? It's his business. Let him run it into the ground if he wants.

And you keep bringing up Jesus. Would Jesus have FORCED someone to bake a cake who was genuinely uncomfortable doing so? Yes or no?

quote:
He bakes cakes for a living. Customers came to his bakery to request a cake that was pink with blue frosting, and he refused. Why? It's not like they asked him to bake the cake and join them for a gay orgy, or offered sexual favors in lieu of cash in exchange for the cake. They didn't ask him to bake a dick cake or a pussy cake. He could have simply baked the fvcking cake, put the figurines on it, completed the order, made some money, and done it all free of sin and without being less of a man.

Would he refuse to bake devil's food cake too, for fear of angering Jesus? Probably not, and his rationale would probably be that it's just a fvcking cake. If he did, he's a superstitious mental case with dick frosting.

While we're playing the "could have" game, this lawyer could have just called a bakery she/he/IT knew would bake her cake. There is zero chance this person was unaware of the controversy of this cake shop. Boo frickin hoo.

Old Post Aug 16th, 2018 11:38 AM
Eternal Idol
Lono, "The Dog"

Who cares? It's his business. Let him run it into the ground if he wants.

And you keep bringing up Jesus. Would Jesus have FORCED someone to bake a cake who was genuinely uncomfortable doing so? Yes or no?

I personally don't care. I just find the entire situation completely asinine, from both sides. I will, however, admit that I'm a little disgusted by the baker's prejudice. Fvck him, let him run it to the ground if he wants.

No, Jesus likely wouldn't have given a shit either way, he probably would have given the baker a scolding for being such a petty cvnt. Jesus' entire motif was helping others regardless of their background (though emphasis was placed on the sick and hungry), not passing judgement on others, and exercising forgiveness when wronged.

While we're playing the "could have" game, this lawyer could have just called a bakery she/he/IT knew would bake her cake. There is zero chance this person was unaware of the controversy of this cake shop. Boo frickin hoo.

And this is why I'm a little annoyed by the plaintiff(s), who could have told the first baker to go fvck himself, and gone to another baker.

Still, they are justified in suing the baker on grounds of discrimination based on gender/sex/sexual orientation. Letting pricks like him continue to discriminate against people is a slippery slope that could encourage and embolden more like-minded pricks to start discriminating against other groups they don't like. That would be a hop, skip, and a goddamned somersault backwards in our society.

Old Post Aug 16th, 2018 12:05 PM
Eternal Idol is currently offline Click here to Send Eternal Idol a Private Message Find more posts by Eternal Idol Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Eternal Idol
I personally don't care. I just find the entire situation completely asinine, from both sides. I will, however, admit that I'm a little disgusted by the baker's prejudice. Fvck him, let him run it to the ground if he wants.

No, Jesus likely wouldn't have given a shit either way, he probably would have given the baker a scolding for being such a petty cvnt. Jesus' entire motif was helping others regardless of their background (though emphasis was placed on the sick and hungry), not passing judgement on others, and exercising forgiveness when wronged.

And this is why I'm a little annoyed by the plaintiff(s), who could have told the first baker to go fvck himself, and gone to another baker.

Still, they are justified in suing the baker on grounds of discrimination based on gender/sex/sexual orientation. Letting pricks like him continue to discriminate against people is a slippery slope that could encourage and embolden more like-minded pricks to start discriminating against other groups they don't like. That would be a hop, skip, and a goddamned somersault backwards in our society.

Thing is, can you explain how Jesus wasn't passing judgement on the merchants he whipped?

As for discrimination, for me it's gotta be all or nothing. If it cannot be okay to refuse a cake then Sarah Sanders can dine wherever the f*ck she wants.

Nobody saying the cake should be baked would ever support a customer demanding a muslim baker put muhammad on a cake. They'd give the best reasons, they'd cite he law(and I'd be curious how they feel about the law when it comes to illegal immigrants, like the law of separating children from their parents if they are arrested at the border. I always think about these things when I see those on the left doing the whole 'it's the law' spiel) etc.

I personally feel it's utterly ridiculous religious beliefs are protected but political beliefs are not.

Last edited by Surtur on Aug 16th, 2018 at 12:33 PM

Old Post Aug 16th, 2018 12:26 PM
Beniboybling
Worst Member

As for discrimination, for me it's gotta be all or nothing. If it cannot be okay to refuse a cake then Sarah Sanders can dine wherever the f*ck she wants.

Nobody saying the cake should be baked would ever support a customer demanding a muslim baker put muhammad on a cake. They'd give the best reasons, they'd cite he law(and I'd be curious how they feel about the law when it comes to illegal immigrants, like the law of separating children from their parents if they are arrested at the border) etc.
Its almost as if neither of those things constitute discrimination.

and that law doesn’t exist, sad.

Last edited by Beniboybling on Aug 16th, 2018 at 12:45 PM

Old Post Aug 16th, 2018 12:34 PM
Beniboybling is currently offline Click here to Send Beniboybling a Private Message Find more posts by Beniboybling Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Beniboybling
Its almost as if neither of those things constitute discrimination.

and that law doesn’t exist, sad.

The law does exist. It was created by democrats. It was used by Obama, just not as often(they admitted this)

These are facts and will not be debated.

We don't even need to use this situation. Just insert any instance of the left whining over an illegal being deported.

Last edited by Surtur on Aug 16th, 2018 at 12:56 PM

Old Post Aug 16th, 2018 12:54 PM