KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » TV Talk Forum » Altered Carbon (Netflix)

Altered Carbon (Netflix)
Started by: Patient_Leech

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): « 1 [2]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Dreampanther
We all face the reaper.

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Patient_Leech
I watched some of episode one, and yeah, the production value is incredible. It looks phenomenal.

But do any likable and relatable characters ever emerge?

Yes.

May all your dreams come true - except for one.

Old Post Feb 4th, 2018 01:40 PM
Dreampanther is currently offline Click here to Send Dreampanther a Private Message Find more posts by Dreampanther Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dreampanther
We all face the reaper.

This guy gets it.

"I can say without hesitation that it's a terrific show. Everything from the gorgeous production values to the excellent cast to the mystery-filled story and action-packed ultra-violence is amazing."

https://www.forbes.com/sites/erikka...l/#60ee26c16963

Old Post Feb 6th, 2018 08:32 AM
Dreampanther is currently offline Click here to Send Dreampanther a Private Message Find more posts by Dreampanther Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

I'm nearing the end now, got 3 eps left. I do like the show overall so far, and it's gotten better as it went, but don't find myself terribly engaged by any of the characters. Like, I really don't care about any of them. It's also very unfocused, shifting its concentration from what topic to the next kind of on a whim.

The show is fun, and worth watching if you're into Sci Fi, but I definitely wouldn't call it terrific, it's promising, though. The premise holds a lot to be explored and I think season 2 will be better. And again, it's gorgeous to look at. The production values are out of this world. Even if the show was bad, it might still be worth watching just for the visuals and imagery.

Old Post Feb 9th, 2018 12:15 AM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Patient_Leech
System Failure

Originally posted by BackFire
I'm nearing the end now, got 3 eps left. I do like the show overall so far, and it's gotten better as it went, but don't find myself terribly engaged by any of the characters. Like, I really don't care about any of them. It's also very unfocused, shifting its concentration from what topic to the next kind of on a whim.

The show is fun, and worth watching if you're into Sci Fi, but I definitely wouldn't call it terrific, it's promising, though. The premise holds a lot to be explored and I think season 2 will be better. And again, it's gorgeous to look at. The production values are out of this world. Even if the show was bad, it might still be worth watching just for the visuals and imagery.

Yeah, I've watched the first 3 episodes and I don't really like it. I wanted to like the show so badly, but the story and characters just aren't engaging to me at all. The production is incredible and it seems like such a rich world with so many interesting possibilities, which is why it's a shame that the story and characters aren't engaging. It has amazing visuals, but it's still not enough to justify the mediocre narrative and total lack of likable characters. I think I'm done.

Old Post Feb 9th, 2018 12:34 AM
Patient_Leech is currently offline Click here to Send Patient_Leech a Private Message Find more posts by Patient_Leech Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Arachnid1

Originally posted by Patient_Leech
Yeah, I've watched the first 3 episodes and I don't really like it. I wanted to like the show so badly, but the story and characters just aren't engaging to me at all. The production is incredible and it seems like such a rich world with so many interesting possibilities, which is why it's a shame that the story and characters aren't engaging. It has amazing visuals, but it's still not enough to justify the mediocre narrative and total lack of likable characters. I think I'm done.
Episode 4 is where it caught me. Try giving it one more episode. This show isn't The Expanse, but its fun.

I Just watched episode 6 and the ending of this one was the first scene that really bothered me. It just wasn't well written. There are a few other obvious plot contrivances that bothered me in previous episodes but I can overlook them.

Other than that, this show is solid. It reminds me of the Deus Ex games in a way. Badass gruff detective (Envoy in this case) piecing together clues in a dark cyberpunk setting. Still not a fan of Lt. Ortego though. She's been annoying since the beginning and hasn't really toned it down.

PWNT

Old Post Feb 9th, 2018 02:41 AM
Arachnid1 is currently offline Click here to Send Arachnid1 a Private Message Find more posts by Arachnid1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BruceSkywalker
The BatLord of the Jedi

only watched first two eps.. not all that good.. will watch the 3rd and maybe 4th ep to see if anything changes

THE TRIAL NEVER ENDS...thanks steve

Old Post Feb 9th, 2018 03:02 AM
BruceSkywalker is currently offline Click here to Send BruceSkywalker a Private Message Find more posts by BruceSkywalker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Arachnid1

I got around to finishing this. It got better as it went on. In the beginning it was typical and hinging highly on it's cinematography (which was exceptional all throughout) but it caught me by episode 4 and actually got me to care about the characters and main mystery enough to actually get invested.

Unfortunately, the plot contrivances were pretty glaring. The center mystery and how it unfolded was done pretty well except for what is IMO one of the biggest aspects of a mystery story; the killers motivation made NO fking sense. The twist as to who it was, why he/she was involved with Bancroft and how he/she went about it was well done since it was set up with clues all throughout, but there's no way to really guess it outside of pure luck because the killer had no real driving motive (well, he/she did have motive, but it makes no sense in any way and felt like it was thrown in to create false drama). The worst part is I hear the book did a better job with this part because the killer was a completely different person with an actually sensible motivation. All they had to do was stick closer to the source material. The side mystery concerning Lizzie was more well done and made sense though, so there's that.

Aside from all that, the main characters arc was kind of strange. He went from not giving a shit about anyone to being stereotypically heroic pretty quickly and for no obvious reason. That was weird.

In the end I liked most of the characters and antagonists (and how they all wrapped up), but they fumbled the biggest part of a mystery story so I can't rate it super high. If that was better done it'd probably be a solid 8-8.5 for me but that combined with the mentioned contrivances knock it down to a 6.5. It's enjoyable, but a bit too mindless at times to be a good mystery.

In other news, they already greenlit the second season. I liked this enough to tune in for that so hopefully they do a better job with the mystery.

PWNT

Last edited by Arachnid1 on Feb 10th, 2018 at 03:52 AM

Old Post Feb 10th, 2018 03:48 AM
Arachnid1 is currently offline Click here to Send Arachnid1 a Private Message Find more posts by Arachnid1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
TheVaultDweller
Front line cannon fodder

I finished this last night. Thought it was solid overall, but unnecessarily complicated in parts.

One thing I am a bit concerned about for the future is the situation with casting. Based on how S1 ends, I don't know how many of these people we'll be getting back, and the performances were among the stronger parts of the show IMO.

Old Post Feb 13th, 2018 05:45 AM
TheVaultDweller is currently offline Click here to Send TheVaultDweller a Private Message Find more posts by TheVaultDweller Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
carthage
PLEASE PROTECT ME STONES

Loved all the characters so far
A few of the episodes stalled like when they got Kovacs stuck into that virch torture chamber, but I genuinely like these characters and I wanna check out the books now

"Happiness is a lie. Life is horror. The light is always dying all across the universe. The last star will flicker out someday, when it does, all that remains is shadow. And I will be its king!"'-Amahl Farouk

Old Post Feb 13th, 2018 09:39 PM
carthage is currently offline Click here to Send carthage a Private Message Find more posts by carthage Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Arachnid1

Originally posted by TheVaultDweller
I finished this last night. Thought it was solid overall, but unnecessarily complicated in parts.

One thing I am a bit concerned about for the future is the situation with casting. Based on how S1 ends, I don't know how many of these people we'll be getting back, and the performances were among the stronger parts of the show IMO.
From what I heard, the second book has no returning characters other than the central character [SPOILER - highlight to read]: who doesn't even have the same sleeve so he's going to be recasted anyways.

PWNT

Old Post Feb 13th, 2018 10:05 PM
samhain
The Demon Hunter

^They can get around that if they want though.

rolling on floor laughing smokin' messed

Old Post Feb 22nd, 2018 03:58 PM
samhain is currently offline Click here to Send samhain a Private Message Find more posts by samhain Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dreampanther
We all face the reaper.

Altered Carbon renewed for Season 2. Anthony Mackie cast as the new Takeshi Kovacs.

https://deadline.com/2018/07/altere...ies-1202434841/

Old Post Jul 27th, 2018 06:52 PM
carthage
PLEASE PROTECT ME STONES

**** yeah
I plan on rewatching season 1

"Happiness is a lie. Life is horror. The light is always dying all across the universe. The last star will flicker out someday, when it does, all that remains is shadow. And I will be its king!"'-Amahl Farouk

Old Post Jul 27th, 2018 07:02 PM
carthage is currently offline Click here to Send carthage a Private Message Find more posts by carthage Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dreampanther
We all face the reaper.

Countdown!

Old Post Feb 27th, 2020 06:05 AM
carthage
PLEASE PROTECT ME STONES

Decent start so far this series makes time jumps a lot. Which is weird considering the tech seems to stay the same. Anthony Mackey also should be given more H2H scenes in the MCU, he’s not bad in the gang fight.

Will watch another ep tonight

Old Post Feb 28th, 2020 08:56 PM
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

I just couldn't get past the first ep of the first season. Sure it looks good, but eh. Maybe I will give it another shot.

Old Post Feb 28th, 2020 09:44 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote