KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Computer / Video Games Discussion » Soul Calibur 6

Soul Calibur 6
Started by: Ridley_Prime

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (7): « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
StyleTime

Pyrrha was an annoying personality and the gameplay replacement for Sophitia/Cassandra. Namco essentially forced us Sophi users to play Pyrrha, and it wasn't satisfying. The signature Alexandra stab punisher had much less range than her Mom's. Folks like Siegfried could potentially out-space her in ways that wouldn't fly against Sophitia. Pyrrha needs her Critical Edge to punish outside stab range, which can be annoying. Add in her obnoxious whining, and squeaky voice "CAN'T STOP!", and she fails her Mom and Aunt.

Obviously, she was one of the best characters in the game though. Most pro-players ranked her A-tier at worst, she had even to favorable matchups nearly across the board, and the tournament presence to back it up.

Dr. Hates said it best,

"This character [Pyrrha] basically has no weaknesses. While some characters can do individual things better than she can (e.g. damage output, space control, etc.), it’s really hard to compete with her as a total package. She’s designed such that the best way to fight against her involves spacing, but the movement system (highly unsafe backdash, almost totally safe forward dash) makes this disadvantage negligible."

Still, gameplay strength isn't everything, and I'd rather play Sophi/Cass.

Last edited by StyleTime on May 7th, 2018 at 11:27 PM

Old Post May 7th, 2018 11:15 PM
StyleTime is currently offline Click here to Send StyleTime a Private Message Find more posts by StyleTime Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jmanghan

I really hated her stance too, she just always seems so utterly timid even when shes cutting people up, her moves are rather clumsy and I really hate her voice.

Pyrrha Omega was a bit better, definitely more bad-ass and threatening, but I still didn't like her all that much.

I did like Patroklos Omega's design tho, that all black he was working with created a nice parallel of colors that looked pretty awesome.

Zwei was clearly the best new character imo, him and Viola.

Though my favorites will always be Siegfried and Nightmare, they are such awesome characters.

Could've done with that Graf Dumas dude as his own character on the roster separate from being transformed into Nightmare tho.

Warrior of Light Respect Thread

Old Post May 8th, 2018 12:17 AM
Jmanghan is currently offline Click here to Send Jmanghan a Private Message Find more posts by Jmanghan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nemesis X
Cynical Tyrant

Sure, you can judge someone by their movesets. Lore-wise, Patroklos is scum. Talk about Pyrrah failing her mother and aunt with fraidy cat yelps when she fights. Meanwhile Patroklos is a psychotic moron. Follows Dumas and Elysium's orders and only after doing said orders does he realize "maybe I shouldn't have done that. Well crap." This dude slaughtered civilians suspected of being Malfested when there wasn't even proof and then he went to go slay the sister who only became corrupt in the first place because he abandoned her. The latter gets fixed when a time traveler conveniently arrives to offer Patroklos to do something different like TALKING TO HER.

Thanks Scythe for the sig.

Last edited by Nemesis X on May 8th, 2018 at 02:15 AM

Old Post May 8th, 2018 02:06 AM
Nemesis X is currently offline Click here to Send Nemesis X a Private Message Find more posts by Nemesis X Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
quanchi112
Disney

Nightmare has always been the best.

Old Post May 8th, 2018 04:16 AM
quanchi112 is currently offline Click here to Send quanchi112 a Private Message Find more posts by quanchi112 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jmanghan

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Nemesis X
Sure, you can judge someone by their movesets. Lore-wise, Patroklos is scum. Talk about Pyrrah failing her mother and aunt with fraidy cat yelps when she fights. Meanwhile Patroklos is a psychotic moron. Follows Dumas and Elysium's orders and only after doing said orders does he realize "maybe I shouldn't have done that. Well crap." This dude slaughtered civilians suspected of being Malfested when there wasn't even proof and then he went to go slay the sister who only became corrupt in the first place because he abandoned her. The latter gets fixed when a time traveler conveniently arrives to offer Patroklos to do something different like TALKING TO HER.
God was it satisfying when Zwei beat the shit out of Patroklos... twice.

Zwei is just this cool laid-back dude, and the story would have been SO much better if he was the main character. His fighting style was original, unique, and cool, his design was bad-ass, his character was probably the best newcomer to come out of SCV, and he just seems... eh, like a cool dude.

His morals are in check, he doesn't act like a brat whether he wins or loses, and most importantly, he's not dumb.

Patroklos should have been left on the sidelines, why'd it need to be Sophitia's kid, and if it was her kids, why did they have to make them so obnoxious?

Old Post May 8th, 2018 04:31 AM
Jmanghan is currently offline Click here to Send Jmanghan a Private Message Find more posts by Jmanghan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nemesis X
Cynical Tyrant

Zwei, Siegfried. Heck, I'd rather the story had been about Natsu looking for her master, Taki who apparently went missing. Had they gone that route, at least it would've been more likely she'd been added to SC5. Instead we got Mr. Family Issues as the protagonist sick

Old Post May 8th, 2018 06:47 AM
Nemesis X is currently offline Click here to Send Nemesis X a Private Message Find more posts by Nemesis X Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
StyleTime

Originally posted by Jmanghan
I really hated her stance too, she just always seems so utterly timid even when shes cutting people up, her moves are rather clumsy and I really hate her voice.

thumb up Many of her animations were obnoxious.
Originally posted by Nemesis X

Patroklos sucked too.

I don't mind older cast members getting replaced by a new generation. I actually think that is a cool thing about Soul Calibur. Much of the cast started out as teenagers/young adults. They actually age with each game(Mitsurugi is 46 by SCV), relationships play out, folks have kids, people turn into vampires, wars are won/lost. While some characters, like Raphael and Ivy, are immortal, it wasn't meant to be an eternal soap opera. It totally makes sense some of them die, stop fighting, or....get lost in another dimension like Cassandra.

By all means, bring on the new kids. Just don't make the new kids suck.

Last edited by StyleTime on May 8th, 2018 at 02:14 PM

Old Post May 8th, 2018 02:06 PM
StyleTime is currently offline Click here to Send StyleTime a Private Message Find more posts by StyleTime Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ridley_Prime
Smug icon slayer

Nah, I’m tired of the whole new generation shtick with franchises being forced down my throat, especially after Mortal Kombat X. Stick with most of the staple characters people love. Was a huge part of why SC5 didn’t work for many fans.

Old Post May 8th, 2018 04:44 PM
Ridley_Prime is currently offline Click here to Send Ridley_Prime a Private Message Find more posts by Ridley_Prime Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
StyleTime

I can only speculate of course, but I think that was because the new kids were mostly shitty.

I'm not that much of a lore guy, and they were off-putting even to me.

Last edited by StyleTime on May 10th, 2018 at 04:56 PM

Old Post May 10th, 2018 04:46 PM
Khazra Reborn
Champion of Midgard

I thought the legacy characters in MK were horrible, as well. They can keep that crap.

Besieged by countless foes, his eyes they are aglow, longing for the fight. He stands upon a mound, doesn't aim the throw, just lets the hammer fly!

Old Post May 10th, 2018 07:40 PM
Khazra Reborn is currently offline Click here to Send Khazra Reborn a Private Message Find more posts by Khazra Reborn Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tzeentch
#gottem

There are people in the world who dislike Cassie? Whaaat?

(please log in to view the image)

"The Daemon lied with every breath. It could not help itself but to deceive and dismay, to riddle and ruin. The more we conversed, the closer I drew to one singularly ineluctable fact: I would gain no wisdom here."

Old Post May 10th, 2018 09:19 PM
Tzeentch is currently offline Click here to Send Tzeentch a Private Message Find more posts by Tzeentch Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ridley_Prime
Smug icon slayer

One of the worst mary sue's I've ever seen. I'm surprised if you even like her given who her father is.

Takeda was the only one that even had much development, and from everything I hear about SC5's legacy characters, am glad I didn't get to know the lot of them. Hopefully we don't see them again regardless, from 6 and onward, or at least the worst among them... The world will not miss Patroklos and the like.

Last edited by Ridley_Prime on May 11th, 2018 at 03:04 AM

Old Post May 11th, 2018 02:53 AM
Ridley_Prime is currently offline Click here to Send Ridley_Prime a Private Message Find more posts by Ridley_Prime Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nemesis X
Cynical Tyrant

Release date confirmed for October 19th!

Old Post Jun 13th, 2018 12:13 AM
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

People are upset over Ivy on the internet on how she looks, Better call the PC police.

Old Post Jun 19th, 2018 08:05 AM
Kazenji is currently offline Click here to Send Kazenji a Private Message Find more posts by Kazenji Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nemesis X
Cynical Tyrant

Ugh. What Soul Calibur game hasn't received controversy over Ivy's outfit?

Old Post Jun 19th, 2018 12:59 PM
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

Welcome to the internet, where everyone and everything complain's about something.

Old Post Jun 20th, 2018 01:10 AM
Kazenji is currently offline Click here to Send Kazenji a Private Message Find more posts by Kazenji Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ridley_Prime
Smug icon slayer

Old Post Jul 5th, 2018 04:34 PM
Jmanghan

Originally posted by Tzeentch
There are people in the world who dislike Cassie? Whaaat?

(please log in to view the image)
There's nothing wrong with Cassie, shes cool and all. But to make her as big as she was, to make her more then she ought to have been.

We can have the protagonists kids while still focusing on the big names like Johnny, Raiden.

I mean having her beating this almighty Elder God in Shinnok, was just... bad writing.

Ruining Quan Chi's character, and removing some characters in the process in favor of these new characters which, obviously not everyone is gonna get behind. Take a risk, but make sure these new guys are even more likable then the OG's.

I always viewed Patroklos as a dude that needed his ass beat a few dozen times to recognize the world doesn't revolve around him and his problems.

Old Post Jul 5th, 2018 04:57 PM
Ridley_Prime
Smug icon slayer

thumb up

Back on topic, glad to see Talim back, though she wasn't one of the ones I expected to see next, but I'll take it.

Between Smash Ultimate (yeah, Namco's still doing Smash apparently) and this game, Namco will have many people by the balls for awhile... and I'm okay with that, even if it means I'll be putting off other things like Resident Evil 2 remake for awhile (awesome as it is) due to how invested I'll be in the aforementioned games.

edit: Not to mention anime fighter after anime fighter that Namco's also doing (Shonen Jump Force, etc).

Last edited by Ridley_Prime on Jul 5th, 2018 at 05:45 PM

Old Post Jul 5th, 2018 05:35 PM
Tzeentch
#gottem

You're both conflating plot issues with character design. It's gay as **** that we have to have three Batman films for every non-Batman film, but that isn't the reason for why Batman is a shitty character.

There could be an argument that Cassie's role in MKX was hamfisted and shitty, but that has nothing to do with her aesthetic, move-set, personality etc.

"The Daemon lied with every breath. It could not help itself but to deceive and dismay, to riddle and ruin. The more we conversed, the closer I drew to one singularly ineluctable fact: I would gain no wisdom here."

Old Post Jul 6th, 2018 02:49 AM
Tzeentch is currently offline Click here to Send Tzeentch a Private Message Find more posts by Tzeentch Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote