KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Ben Shapiro: The Cool Kids Philosopher

Ben Shapiro: The Cool Kids Philosopher
Started by: Beniboybling

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (21): « First ... « 8 9 [10] 11 12 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
quanchi112
Disney

quote: (post)
Originally posted by XSUPREMEXSKILLZ
thumb up
This new guy from hangouts is quite the find here. When you actually listen to Shapiro outside the knee jerk overreactions he's very reasonable and civil.

Old Post Dec 12th, 2017 07:34 PM
quanchi112 is currently offline Click here to Send quanchi112 a Private Message Find more posts by quanchi112 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Emperordmb
Well this has been debunked thumb up

Indeed, the thread was worth it for this hilarious turn out.

Old Post Dec 12th, 2017 07:39 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

So you're all saying that Shapiro is indeed genocidal afterall?

Good to know.

Old Post Dec 12th, 2017 08:46 PM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Flyattractor

I agree that with the concept that all intreweb forum Mods be forced into gas chambers.

Old Post Dec 12th, 2017 08:48 PM
Flyattractor is currently offline Click here to Send Flyattractor a Private Message Find more posts by Flyattractor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

I am the gas chamber.

Old Post Dec 12th, 2017 08:49 PM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Flyattractor

(please log in to view the image)

Old Post Dec 12th, 2017 08:51 PM
Flyattractor is currently offline Click here to Send Flyattractor a Private Message Find more posts by Flyattractor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

Originally posted by BackFire

Good to know.

Seems so; blew my mind. Did not know.

You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Old Post Dec 12th, 2017 09:40 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Beniboybling
Worst Member

I'm glad to see Harry made an effort to read the article and in that respect, it only seems fair that I offer a response. I don't plan to cover everything, put will address some key aspects that I found particular egregious. embarrasment
quote:
Robinson claims this indicates that Shapiro is a provocateur like Yiannoupolous or D'souza. I think this is utterly absurd. Using callous verbiage occasionally to drill in your point does not accurately represent one's body of work. Shapiro can use strong language sometimes but he usually presents himself with class, that certainly outstrips Yiannopolous, Spencer, or Taylor.
You'll have to forgive me Harry, but I wouldn't describe "You guys are so stupid... you can all go to hell, you pathetic, lying, stupid jackasses" as particularly classy, or driving home a point of any real value, aside from the fact that Antifa commies have left him triggered and mad. But if we are looking for evidence that Shapiro is a 'provocateur' the fact he sells "Leftist tears" mugs on his pretend news site is a better one. I'd struggle to describe this as 'classy' either. sad

quote:
After the attack on rhetoric, the article begins by attacking his statements regarding racism in America. There are four points of contention that Robinson had with Shapiro's comments on racism.
The central thrust of Robinson's critique was missed here, namely that:
quote:
the idea that black people's disproportionate poverty has anything to do with racism is "just not true,"
I have not seen the Berkely speech, so I can't corroborate the claim here, but
quote:
"This country is an amazing place full of opportunity. Nobody, by and large, cares enough about you to stop you from achieving your dreams. That includes you, people who are shouting out there in the audience. No one cares about you; get over yourselves. I don't care about you; no one cares about you... That means, in a free country, if you fail, it's probably your own fault."
In the contexts of racism, that seems to be a rather outright dismissal that it plays a role in holding people back. In which case Robison is correct, the evidence Shapiro cites provide flimsy support at best, heck even if we accepted every one of them at face value, it still wouldn't serve to eliminate racism, historical or otherwise, as a contributing factor, which it's entirely stupid of him to discount so categorically in the first place.

quote:
So because Shapiro made a joke in poor taste seven years ago about Arabs and Isreali's he is, therefore, a racist. I do not think you can judge a man's character or opinion about race from a single ridiculous tweet.
Actually, you can judge a lot about a person's character based on what comes out of their mouth. In which case do you have any evidence that suggests that Shapiro was only joking? His statement seemed entirely serious to me (and well in line with other bigoted crap he's espoused elsewhere on the subject), in which case, it speaks volumes about the kind of person he is. thumb up

quote:
I also think this tweet contrasts most of his current statements on the subject. He rarely ever uses the pejorative term Arabs in his commentary on the issue. Evidence would be all of these articles where uses the term "Palestinian Arab or just Palestinian"
Sounds to me like your appealing to an absence of evidence here, and trying to convince yourself more than anything. sad

quote:
It is perfectly fair to say that Shapiro's comments here are incorrect and are inhumane. It would not be fair to assume that they indicate racism.
quote:
Shapiro's thesis is that the Palestinianian government is terrorist he maintains today. Regardless of the truth to those statements, if one views the Palestine as a terrorist state his comments make complete sense. I do not think it is fair to call his statements "population generalizations".
I actually agree with you that Shapiro is not being racist here, but absolutely he is making gross generalisations about an entire population, that's what's claiming Palestine "the most evil population on the face of the planet" means. His motivations are also obvious, Palestine is by and large in opposition to the Jewish Israeli state, Shapiro is Jewish, and so he takes offense to this.

Now is religious bigotry any better than racism? Not really. sad

In terms of Shapiro's support for ethnic cleansing, I will concede that he no longer supports this, and thank God, as that's was the biggest pile of horseshit I'd read in a long time.

quote:
I also think it is important to note that Shapiro did NOT support the Muslim ban and would not outright state his support for the travel ban.
No, but in terms of shit that's actually relevant, he did describe Trump's recent decision to declare Jerusalem the Israeli capital as an act of 'political bravery' and 'moral courage.' Despite the fact that all it will cause is needless violence, division and suffering for Palestinians. Fancy that.

quote:
Ignorance of Zimmerman's transgressions does not necessitate racism. I am sure Shapiro would agree that each of Zimmerman's crimes is racist and xenophobic. There is no evidence to indicate that Shapiro knew any of these things when penning the article.
The article was penned four years after Treyvor Martin's death. Four years. to suggest that Ben Shapiro, a supposed journalist and 'intellectual', writing an researched commentary on the issue four years after the event, was entirely unaware of Zimmerman's behaviour (which had long since become public knowledge) beggars f*cking belief, and seriously stretches the frankly blind faith you appear to have in Shapiro's character.

He is either grossly misinformed, intentionally misconstruing the facts, or simply doesn't believe what Zimmerman has said and done is racist. Neither of which paint him in a remotely favourable light.

quote:
Unlike Robinson, I believe in the philosophical Principle of Charity. The Principle of Charity is the belief that we should not disregard an opponent's argument due to poor rhetoric or presentation.
Ben Shapiro is a brilliant polemicist, and quick witted intellectual, I cannot imagine he would ever be guilty of poor rhetoric or presentation, and ever in need of your or anyone else's charity. sad

quote:
Shapiro has never denied that bullying contributes to high suicide rates he just questions the number of people committing suicide.
I admit, I did a double take here, because that is exactly what Shapiro does:
quote:
"It's not even true that bullying causes suicide... There's no evidence whatsoever that the suicide rate in the transgender community would go down in any marked way if people just started pretending that men were women and women were men."
Perhaps he's is just suffering from another bout of poor rhetoric and presentation here. But it very much seems to be that he is saying that bullying of transgender people has no impact on the rate at which they commit suicide. Which his own source disproves. no expression

Naturally there are some points you missed here, like when Shapiro argued homosexuality was a mental illness, called for Al Gore to be arrested for sedition, and opposed a ban on using mobile phones while driving as taking away "freedom of choice", but I didn't respond to all your points either, so I'll let you off.

All in all despite your arguments, Shapiro remains a dumb bigot in my eyes, but at the very least, you managed to spare DMB from a crisis of faith. sad

Last edited by Beniboybling on Dec 12th, 2017 at 10:17 PM

Old Post Dec 12th, 2017 10:12 PM
Beniboybling is currently offline Click here to Send Beniboybling a Private Message Find more posts by Beniboybling Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
DarthSkywalker0
The Insane Jedi Master

Well, Beni, I appreciate the effort. I will do my best to debunk your commentary.

quote:
You'll have to forgive me Harry, but I wouldn't describe "You guys are so stupid... you can all go to hell, you pathetic, lying, stupid jackasses" as particularly classy, or driving home a point of any real value, aside from the fact that Antifa commies have left him triggered and mad. But if we are looking for evidence that Shapiro is a 'provocateur' the fact he sells "Leftist tears" mugs on his pretend news site is a better one. I'd struggle to describe this as 'classy' either. sad

Did I once say his verbiage was classy? No. I noted that one comment does not turn someone into a provocateur. To quote from original post,

quote:
Using callous verbiage occasionally to drill in your point does not accurately represent one's body of work. Shapiro can use strong language sometimes but he usually presents himself with class, that certainly outstrips Yiannopolous, Spencer, or Taylor.

I never claimed his language was respectable; I merely said it does not represent his body of work. The same applies to the Leftist Tears Mug.

quote:
The central thrust of Robinson's critique was missed here, namely that:
quote:

quote:
the idea that black people's disproportionate poverty has anything to do with racism is "just not true,"

I have not seen the Berkely speech, so I can't corroborate the claim here, but
quote:

quote:
"This country is an amazing place full of opportunity. Nobody, by and large, cares enough about you to stop you from achieving your dreams. That includes you, people who are shouting out there in the audience. No one cares about you; get over yourselves. I don't care about you; no one cares about you... That means, in a free country, if you fail, it's probably your own fault.".

In the contexts of racism, that seems to be a rather outright dismissal that it plays a role in holding people back. In which case Robison is correct, the evidence Shapiro cites provide flimsy support at best, heck even if we accepted every one of them at face value, it still wouldn't serve to eliminate racism, historical or otherwise, as a contributing factor, which it's entirely stupid of him to discount so categorically in the first place.

In regards, to the first quote, you cited. Notice how the only part quoted is the "just not true." Shapiro has said that US policy is in some part responsible for poor blacks today. He just denies the notion that racism today is any real catalyst for black poverty. The evidence I laid out in my first point indeed indicates this to be true. The only thing at this point holding black men back in America is the minimum wage and low-quality schooling in the inner cities. Look at my first point for more evidence of this. Regardless, each of the counters to Ben given my Robinson was fallacious.

quote:
Actually, you can judge a lot about a person's character based on what comes out of their mouth. In which case do you have any evidence that suggests that Shapiro was only joking? His statement seemed entirely serious to me (and well in line with other bigoted crap he's espoused elsewhere on the subject), in which case, it speaks volumes about the kind of person he is. thumb up

The evidence would be Shapiro's repeated denouncing of the Muslim ban. Shapiro's anger of Trump's comments on Islam. Shapiro's feuds with Yiannopolous. Shapiro's defense of Arabs in the past. https://twitter.com/benshapiro/stat...5681921?lang=en
https://www.dailywire.com/news/1668...all-ben-shapiro
https://www.dailywire.com/news/8638...ght-ben-shapiro
https://www.dailywire.com/news/4338...am-hank-berrien

All of these things indicate that a tweet from 7 years ago certainly is not a great indicator of his views.

quote:
Sounds to me like your appealing to an absence of evidence here, and trying to convince yourself more than anything. sad

Not an absence of evidence, when I can show over a hundred tweets of him using the word Palestinian.

https://twitter.com/search?l=&q...ypd&lang=en

quote:
I actually agree with you that Shapiro is not being racist here, but absolutely he is making gross generalisations about an entire population, that's what's claiming Palestine "the most evil population on the face of the planet" means. His motivations are also obvious, Palestine is by and large in opposition to the Jewish Israeli state, Shapiro is Jewish, and so he takes offense to this.

Now is religious bigotry any better than racism? Not really. sad

If I said the South, during the civil, war was the most evil group of people on the planet would that be considering a generalization? I am not saying Palestine is equivelent to slavers, but Shapiro views Palestine in that light. This is certainly not on the basis of religion considering his defense of moderate muslims.

quote:
In terms of Shapiro's support for ethnic cleansing, I will concede that he no longer supports this, and thank God, as that's was the biggest pile of horseshit I'd read in a long time.

I appreciate the concession.

quote:
No, but in terms of shit that's actually relevant, he did describe Trump's recent decision to declare Jerusalem the Israeli capital as an act of 'political bravery' and 'moral courage.' Despite the fact that all it will cause is needless violence, division and suffering for Palestinians. Fancy that.

Shapiro is an orthodox Jew and as a result he believes that Torah requires Jews homestead Isreal. You may question his religion, but at least recognize there is more to it then just religious intolerence.

quote:
The article was penned four years after Treyvor Martin's death. Four years. to suggest that Ben Shapiro, a supposed journalist and 'intellectual', writing an researched commentary on the issue four years after the event, was entirely unaware of Zimmerman's behaviour (which had long since become public knowledge) beggars f*cking belief, and seriously stretches the frankly blind faith you appear to have in Shapiro's character.

He is either grossly misinformed, intentionally misconstruing the facts, or simply doesn't believe what Zimmerman has said and done is racist. Neither of which paint him in a remotely favourable light.

Beni you are smarter then this. Let's look at each article cited inside of Robinson's essay and look at the publication dates.

Example 1: George Zimmerman bragging about the death of Trevon Martin:
180 days after Shapiro's article
Example 2: George Zimmerman kicked out of a bar for using the n-word:
279 days after Shapiro's article
Example 3: Zimmerman complaining about a dirty muslim on twitter:
65 days before Shapiro's article
Example 4: Zimmerman tweets that black slime don't matter:
64 days before Shapiro's article
Example 5: Called Obama an ignorant baboon:
130 days before Shapiro's article
Example 6: Sold Pictures of the flag
172 days before Shapiro's article

So, Shapiro should not have been so ignorant in his post, but this was not public knowledge for four years. My main gripe was not his attacking of Shapiro for his ignorance, but rather his assumption that Shapiro's ignorance necessitated racism.

quote:
Perhaps he's is just suffering from another bout of poor rhetoric and presentation here. But it very much seems to be that he is saying that bullying of transgender people has no impact on the rate at which they commit suicide. Which his own source disproves. no expression

Well, you certianly mixed up those quotes to make your posistion seems a lot more credible. You really are following the Principle of Charity. Let me post the two quotes in contention.

quote:
The idea that 36 percent more transgender people are committing suicide because people are mean to them is ridiculous. It’s not true, and it’s not backed by any science that anyone can cite. It is pure conjecture. In fact, it is not even true that bullying causes suicide, according to a lot of studies.

This first quote states that bullying does not contribute 36% to the suicide rate. He then claims there is some schollarly work that says bullying does not contribute to suicide. Which there is: https://www.huffingtonpost.com/debo..._b_4002897.html This article was written by Dr Temkin who is the Program Area Director of Education Research at Child Trends, a non-partisan, non-profit research organization in Bethesda, MD. From 2010 through 2012, Dr. Temkin led the federal initiative on bullying prevention at the U.S. Department of Education including leading the editorial board for StopBullying.gov There are more article you can find online. Shapiro may be perpetuating this notion, but he himself is not claiming gnosticism.

quote:
I think the idea that you’re going to sacrifice the entire society’s proper definition of sex because you think that there is, in legal terms, somebody with an “eggshell skull,” meaning somebody who has a preexisting condition that makes them more susceptible to criticism, that that is not a way to run a society. You can’t sacrifice truth because some people are going to actually suffer because of the truth. Plus, there’s no evidence whatsoever that the suicide rate would go down in the transgender community in any marked way, if people just started pretending that men are women and women are men. We’re trying that experiment now; we’ll find out whether it works. So far, no evidence.

What he is saying here is that Transgendered surgery does not bring down suicide rates. Do you see how you completely misconstrued those quotes to your advantage.

Old Post Dec 12th, 2017 11:34 PM
DarthSkywalker0 is currently offline Click here to Send DarthSkywalker0 a Private Message Find more posts by DarthSkywalker0 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by BackFire

Good to know.

Seeing the OP get owned was great, seeing the genocide thing shot down was great.

Why was it great? Certain smug people here need that reality check, and got it.

Last edited by Surtur on Dec 13th, 2017 at 12:42 AM

Old Post Dec 13th, 2017 12:35 AM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
XSUPREMEXSKILLZ
The Immortal Emperor

Originally posted by quanchi112
This new guy from hangouts is quite the find here. When you actually listen to Shapiro outside the knee jerk overreactions he's very reasonable and civil.

thumb up

We found him roughly a year ago. Sharp little cuck, that one. smile

”You presume limits to my power. There are none.”

Old Post Dec 13th, 2017 12:41 AM
XSUPREMEXSKILLZ is currently offline Click here to Send XSUPREMEXSKILLZ a Private Message Find more posts by XSUPREMEXSKILLZ Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Love this:

Ben Shapiro DESTROYS Every College Snowflake Q&A

Old Post Dec 13th, 2017 12:46 AM
quanchi112
Disney

thumb up

We found him roughly a year ago. Sharp little cuck, that one. smile
I really like this new find. Hopefully he likes Star Wars as I plan to shove Snoke down people's throats very soon. I'll be active. Let's hope the forum moves like in old times.

Old Post Dec 13th, 2017 12:54 AM
quanchi112 is currently offline Click here to Send quanchi112 a Private Message Find more posts by quanchi112 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
XSUPREMEXSKILLZ
The Immortal Emperor

Originally posted by quanchi112
I really like this new find. Hopefully he likes Star Wars as I plan to shove Snoke down people's throats very soon. I'll be active. Let's hope the forum moves like in old times.

Star Wars is how we found him. He's not loving the New Trilogy, so have fun shoving it down his throat. smile

Old Post Dec 13th, 2017 12:57 AM
XSUPREMEXSKILLZ is currently offline Click here to Send XSUPREMEXSKILLZ a Private Message Find more posts by XSUPREMEXSKILLZ Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
quanchi112
Disney

Star Wars is how we found him. He's not loving the New Trilogy, so have fun shoving it down his throat. smile
Do not ruin this by telling me he's a Palpatine guy.

Old Post Dec 13th, 2017 12:59 AM
XSUPREMEXSKILLZ
The Immortal Emperor

He's a Luke guy. He aids me in the anti-Palpatine brigade.

Old Post Dec 13th, 2017 01:02 AM
quanchi112
Disney

Ok, I can handle that. I do like Palpatine more than Luke but the Sheevites are the worst.

Old Post Dec 13th, 2017 01:03 AM
XSUPREMEXSKILLZ
The Immortal Emperor

Luke is apart of the New Trilogy. You should be wanking Old!Luke and Snoke.

Old Post Dec 13th, 2017 01:04 AM
quanchi112
Disney

Luke is apart of the New Trilogy. You should be wanking Old!Luke and Snoke.
I just can't see the value in Luke. But when you edited and I see he opposes the nauseating Sheevites I reined it in.

Old Post Dec 13th, 2017 01:06 AM
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Sheev is just a f*cking lame name. No wonder he turned evil.

Old Post Dec 13th, 2017 01:07 AM