KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Analysis of Trump''s Tax Plan

Analysis of Trump''s Tax Plan
Started by: Rockydonovang

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (16): « First ... « 8 9 [10] 11 12 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
lazybones

quote: (post)
Originally posted by DarthSkywalker0
Well, of course, a GST is going to have less of an effect on GDP, but the effect will still be marked enough to at least equalize social security in terms of benefits. Also, changing the tax code does not change the fact that social security is a ticking time-bomb. And, I appreciate the concession, it was a very fun debate. Hope to clash heads on another thread. Don't worry, I will not be as lengthy.
Depends on how it is administered. The 'Fair Tax' proposal for replacing income/payroll tax with sales tax and having a system of 'prebates' (credits for low earners), would produce a massive net-economic benefit which would likely do far more than equalize the benefits, because people would be paying small-zero tax straight out of their pocket except when they make purchases, and could still get some additional top-up down the line.

https://www.thebalance.com/what-is-...-effect-3305765

Much higher GDP, domestic investment and consumption etc... Although that is a hypothetical idea and has some critics, as laid out in the above link. However, it could help preserve the more beneficial welfare in the form of cash transfers whilst giving everyone an extraordinary tax cut.

In terms of Social Security precisely, though, I think it would be better if it could be replaced with private saving after your elaboration and the long term difficulties in keeping Social Security . However I feel that you may need to have some sort of automatic enrolment scheme in place for employees. Getting people to save early would be crucial, but there would have to be some compulsion to force the habit considering that Social Security has probably changed attitudes towards saving which won't go away overnight. And you couldn't phase out Social Security too quickly unless you want to doom 30/40+ people who have been paying into it. That would be unfair.

Old Post Jan 11th, 2018 10:57 PM
lazybones is currently offline Click here to Send lazybones a Private Message Find more posts by lazybones Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
DarthSkywalker0
The Insane Jedi Master

Originally posted by lazybones
Depends on how it is administered. The 'Fair Tax' proposal for replacing income/payroll tax with sales tax and having a system of 'prebates' (credits for low earners), would produce a massive net-economic benefit which would likely do far more than equalize the benefits, because people would be paying small-zero tax straight out of their pocket except when they make purchases, and could still get some additional top-up down the line.

https://www.thebalance.com/what-is-...-effect-3305765

Much higher GDP, domestic investment and consumption etc... Although that is a hypothetical idea and has some critics, as laid out in the above link. However, it could help preserve the more beneficial welfare in the form of cash transfers whilst giving everyone an extraordinary tax cut.

In terms of Social Security precisely, though, I think it would be better if it could be replaced with private saving after your elaboration and the long term difficulties in keeping Social Security . However I feel that you may need to have some sort of automatic enrolment scheme in place for employees. Getting people to save early would be crucial, but there would have to be some compulsion to force the habit considering that Social Security has probably changed attitudes towards saving which won't go away overnight. And you couldn't phase out Social Security too quickly unless you want to doom 30/40+ people who have been paying into it. That would be unfair.

Oh, it definitely has to be a slow phase out with a president who knows how articulate proper rhetoric. But, yea I don't deny that consumption has a far weaker negative effect on GDP. But statistical studies have still found the effect is marked. Look to tax foundation. I would much rather have a fair tax than an income tax.

Old Post Jan 11th, 2018 11:06 PM
DarthSkywalker0 is currently offline Click here to Send DarthSkywalker0 a Private Message Find more posts by DarthSkywalker0 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

Originally posted by The Ellimist
Bane dies

Always worth mentioning.

Old Post Jan 12th, 2018 03:46 PM
Darth Thor is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Rage.Of.Olympus

Old Post Jan 13th, 2018 04:46 AM
Rage.Of.Olympus is currently offline Click here to Send Rage.Of.Olympus a Private Message Find more posts by Rage.Of.Olympus Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
lazybones

@DarthSkywalker
quote:
The EITC and the Fiscal Disaster
88% of the benefits handed out by the EITC are to people who pay no income taxes! What a wonderful TAX CREDIT. This is a problem as it means people who pay income taxes are being forced to pay higher taxes. The behavioral economic response to economic taxes is to view them as a "deadweight loss". To quote the CATO Institute
This left me scratching my head a little. The fact that the EITC means many people take more than they pay in is to be expected with the EITC. That's because the EITC is a variant of negative income tax. Effectively, many on the lower end of the spectrum pay a negative rate of tax because of these benefits, which makes them richer than they would be otherwise. This means that even if you were to get rid of all the depressing taxes along with the benefits, those poor people who pay negative rates of tax will inevitably be worse off, because they would be breaking even at best whereas now they are net-benefiting.

(please log in to view the image)

Poor people only start net paying in when you factor in other taxes like payroll, but that could be replaced with a sales tax with a net benefit. And since the whole point of the EITC and other welfare payments is to supplement the incomes of poorer individuals, it is not surprising that they benefit more than those in the middle and upper percentiles.

Although that being said, the other issues that you pointed out about the EITC were fair. But this isn't, imo, because programs like the EITC are supposed to relieve the tax burden for the poor, not necessarily those higher up on the income ladder. The CATO Institute also seems to assume that expanding the EITC would immediately require tax rises. But we know that governments can run modest budget deficits without raising the alarm of investors.

Last edited by lazybones on Jan 13th, 2018 at 05:25 PM

Old Post Jan 13th, 2018 05:12 PM
lazybones is currently offline Click here to Send lazybones a Private Message Find more posts by lazybones Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
lazybones

The CATO Institute also seems to assume that expanding the EITC would immediately require tax rises. But we know that governments can run modest budget deficits without raising the alarm of investors.
Correction: They use the word 'ultimately'. But I don't think this is even right. Unless the EITC was expanded to a totally untenable degree which caused debt interest to spiral, thus necessitating tax rises. But realistically, a government would be more targeted and sensible with its expansion and wouldn't even need to borrow if they simply reallocated spending from other programs into the EITC. It's not as straightforward as they make it.

Last edited by lazybones on Jan 13th, 2018 at 05:50 PM

Old Post Jan 13th, 2018 05:46 PM
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Nice:

Boom: 164 companies give bonuses, lower fees to millions, citing Trump tax cuts

Okay lefftists on the forum: you best get to work trying to dismiss each and every one of those companies. I hope for your sake that 99% of them have announced lay offs as well so you can act like this isn't a big deal. Go for it. I look forward to your report on all 164 companies.

Oh and for fun:

New video interweaves liberals bashing tax reform with news of company bonuses and raises

Lmfao, oh leftists...Nancy, at the end, calling the savings "crumbs" and "pathetic". Same person who lauded $40 savings years ago lol, same exact person.

Last edited by Surtur on Jan 15th, 2018 at 04:14 PM

Old Post Jan 15th, 2018 04:04 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

Yes his tax plan seems to be helping the economy for now.

But I never hated him for his proposed tax plans. It’s the.. you know... racism, facism, hate mongering and stuff that makes no not like the man.

Old Post Jan 16th, 2018 08:43 PM
Darth Thor is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Flyattractor

Except that most of that stuff is actually a BIG FAT LIE!!!!!!

But hey. Lefty gotta be Lefty.

Old Post Jan 16th, 2018 08:56 PM
Flyattractor is currently offline Click here to Send Flyattractor a Private Message Find more posts by Flyattractor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dadudemon

Originally posted by Surtur
Nice:

Okay lefftists on the forum: you best get to work trying to dismiss each and every one of those companies. I hope for your sake that 99% of them have announced lay offs as well so you can act like this isn't a big deal. Go for it. I look forward to your report on all 164 companies.

Oh and for fun:

New video interweaves liberals bashing tax reform with news of company bonuses and raises

Lmfao, oh leftists...Nancy, at the end, calling the savings "crumbs" and "pathetic". Same person who lauded $40 savings years ago lol, same exact person.

I'll watch this, later.

Old Post Jan 16th, 2018 08:57 PM
dadudemon is currently offline Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

Originally posted by Robtard
Bread and circuses

You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Old Post Jan 16th, 2018 09:07 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Flyattractor

I prefer Popcorn and Carnivals

Old Post Jan 16th, 2018 09:08 PM
Flyattractor is currently offline Click here to Send Flyattractor a Private Message Find more posts by Flyattractor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Yet in the past $40 was something for Nancy Pelosi to celebrate. Weird, how now amounts around 5 times more than that are crumbs to her.

Old Post Jan 16th, 2018 09:09 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Flyattractor

Well this is the Woman that thinks that the more people we put on Welfare will make the Country MORE Money.

Old Post Jan 16th, 2018 09:12 PM
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Lol oh leftists...

Nancy Pelosi bashed new tax cut savings as ‘crumbs’ — here’s what she said about a $40 cut in 2011

"After Congress passed a temporary extension of the payroll tax cut in 2011, which saved the average American worker just $40, Pelosi praised the accomplishment as a “victory for the American people” that “will make a difference.”

laughing

Embarrassing.

Old Post Jan 16th, 2018 09:15 PM
lazybones

Nice:

164 companies represent a grand total of 0.00059% of the 28 million businesses in America. And let's not forget the pesky fact that this tax plan will raise middle class taxes over time and likely produce only a minuscule amount of growth in exchange for 1.5 trillion more in debt. Even the traditionally free market think-tank, the Tax Foundation, has growth failing to reach the targets set.

[b](please log in to view the image)

So, uh, congratulations on your victory.

Last edited by lazybones on Jan 16th, 2018 at 09:31 PM

Old Post Jan 16th, 2018 09:29 PM
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Nice, and that negates anything said...why?

Old Post Jan 16th, 2018 09:33 PM
Robtard
Senor Member

What a dork

Old Post Jan 16th, 2018 09:34 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

164 companies represent a grand total of 0.00059% of the 28 million businesses in America. And let's not forget the pesky fact that this tax plan will raise middle class taxes over time and likely produce only a minuscule amount of growth in exchange for 1.5 trillion more in debt. Even the traditionally free market think-tank, the Tax Foundation, has growth failing to reach the targets set.

So, uh, congratulations on your victory.

Is the curtain expected to be pulled away within the next 2-3 years, or do calculations have the ramifications of the new Tax Plan not really being felt until very much later?

Old Post Jan 16th, 2018 09:38 PM
lazybones

Nice, and that negates anything said...why?
Because you were trying to pass those raises off as a 'big deal' when they're an absolute drop in the ocean and clearly just optics. In the medium-long term, the bill will do very little at all and potentially hurt low-middle income people. You can delude yourself all you want, but this tax reform bill was an utter joke of a reform.

Old Post Jan 16th, 2018 09:38 PM