KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » The impact of "fake news"

The impact of "fake news"
Started by: Rage.Of.Olympus

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Rage.Of.Olympus

The impact of "fake news"

Here is an interview between the former US Ambassador to the Netherlands and a Dutch reporter:
http://www.cnn.com/2017/12/22/polit...ents/index.html

He denies his previous statement. He then denies his statement from 2 minutes ago that he called it "fake news".

At first I thought he was trolling, but he seems to think that this is a legitimate get out of jail free card. The "fake news" movement has really eroded the publics trust in reporting. Do you guys think there should be some sort of penalty for this kind of blatant disregard for the truth? What impact do you think fake news has had and will have?

This was reported on a national Dutch network. Imagine viewing this from the perspective of someone outside of the U.S. I believe there will be long term damage in relations for a few years to come. Thoughts?

Last edited by Rage.Of.Olympus on Dec 23rd, 2017 at 01:59 AM

Old Post Dec 23rd, 2017 01:57 AM
Rage.Of.Olympus is currently offline Click here to Send Rage.Of.Olympus a Private Message Find more posts by Rage.Of.Olympus Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

No I don't think there should be a penalty for it. It sounds nice, and in an ideal world it would consistently applied, but we both know it wouldn't be consistently applied.

And we would then need to truly define "fake news" if we did that. For example, CNN has specifically edited a clip of something to make it look like a person was calling for peace during a riot, but they were just calling for the riot to be moved elsewhere(to the suburbs and to whites, away from blacks). Should there be a penalty for shit like that?

Old Post Dec 23rd, 2017 02:23 AM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Flyattractor

If there were penalties for "Fake News" every leftist news source would have been shut down by now.

Old Post Dec 23rd, 2017 10:15 AM
Flyattractor is currently offline Click here to Send Flyattractor a Private Message Find more posts by Flyattractor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Flyattractor
If there were penalties for "Fake News" every leftist news source would have been shut down by now.

Nah, they'd try to skirt around it. Like the example for CNN I just gave, they'd argue it's not fake news, rather just misleading news. So no penalty should be given.

Old Post Dec 23rd, 2017 03:38 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Steve Zodiac
Restricted

Account Restricted

Fake news has always been with us, it was once called propaganda and spin. All the internet and the Rumsfeld inspired power of nightmares have done is bring it into everyone's pocket. Social media, particularly facebook and twitter have created a virtual world where "the truth" is always distorted for someone's agenda and you can't get away from it. Outlets like Breitbart have weaponised fake news, in a way that was not possible before the internet. Now troll armies spread and defend this fake news for money.

Old Post Dec 23rd, 2017 07:14 PM
Steve Zodiac is currently offline Click here to Send Steve Zodiac a Private Message Find more posts by Steve Zodiac Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Steve Zodiac
Fake news has always been with us, it was once called propaganda and spin. All the internet and the Rumsfeld inspired power of nightmares have done is bring it into everyone's pocket. Social media, particularly facebook and twitter have created a virtual world where "the truth" is always distorted for someone's agenda and you can't get away from it. Outlets like Breitbart have weaponised fake news, in a way that was not possible before the internet. Now troll armies spread and defend this fake news for money.

Bingo. There is a great documentary on netflix right now called "The Propaganda Game".

Old Post Dec 23rd, 2017 07:23 PM
Flyattractor

Now its a Left Wing Course you get BrainWashed with at College.

Old Post Dec 23rd, 2017 11:05 PM
Flyattractor is currently offline Click here to Send Flyattractor a Private Message Find more posts by Flyattractor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Steve Zodiac
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Surtur
Bingo. There is a great documentary on netflix right now called "The Propaganda Game".
Just watched it, very good, I agreed with a lot of the insights, nothing new. The BBC did a similar thing called I think the fear game about 5 years ago. It was very interesting and showed how "threats" were being used to lock us down.

Old Post Dec 25th, 2017 09:36 AM
Steve Zodiac is currently offline Click here to Send Steve Zodiac a Private Message Find more posts by Steve Zodiac Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote