KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » The Last Jedi: The Worst Star Wars Movie Ever Made

The Last Jedi: The Worst Star Wars Movie Ever Made
Started by: Stigma

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (4): « First ... « 2 3 [4]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
ares834

quote: (post)
Originally posted by MythLord
Honestly, audience scores are unreliable since a lot of people have extra accounts they use to bump up movies they like or rank down movies they dislike and a lot of people don't even have accounts.

The critics score is, imho, more important and valid.

Both are rather pointless. As Neph pointed out, review bombing is a thing and it pretty much invalidates any “audience score” nowadays. As for professional critics, I think they are pretty irrelevant. It’s what the fans think that matter, particularly with films like Star Wars.

Old Post Feb 23rd, 2018 04:59 PM
Click here to Send ares834 a Private Message Find more posts by ares834 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Stigma
Herald of the Judgement

Good points, Ares thumb up

Old Post Feb 24th, 2018 10:55 AM
Click here to Send Stigma a Private Message Find more posts by Stigma Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SunRazer
Back From The Dead

The critics score is more reliable than the audience score, certainly, but in RT's case it's still pretty useless.

Old Post Feb 24th, 2018 11:18 AM
Click here to Send SunRazer a Private Message Find more posts by SunRazer Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

Originally posted by quanchi112
idn't expect it to go anywhere near TFA due to the time gap in between films. What hurts it is the negative perception out there. It still earned the highest box office out of the entire year and you're not going to hit it out of the park every time at the box office.

I do agree that would be a nightmare for Infinity War but this didn't make under a billion either it made three hundred million more than a billion. Your expectations of box office success are too high IMO.

Yes but this isn't like Age of Ultron which only went down by $100mill world wide from Avengers1, despite most people seeing AOU as a vastly inferior film. It's a $700million drop.

If Infinity War has the same percentage drop from the last Avengers film then it would make under a billion. That's how large the drop off is with this.

Largest drop off for a Star Wars sequel, and lowest box office multiplier of any Star Wars film.

It's not about my expectations. It's about it's box office trajectory.

Originally posted by quanchi112
Only thing I worry about is the perception but I expect that to dissipate entirely by the time episode nine rolls around. There was a lot of hate for Into Darkness by a small contingent of Trekkers. I loved the film as do I love this film. It's my favorite Star Wars film to date after various rewatches. Rots still has the best action but to me this was the best film.

Well lets hope Episode 9 doesn't have the same drop off Star Trek Beyond had.

To be fair though, it's the end of the trilogy so will make more than TLJ.

Old Post Feb 24th, 2018 11:39 AM
Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Stigma
Herald of the Judgement

Indeed, audience response to a given merchandise is what matters to the business. There haven't been so much negative feedback towards a SW film since AotC, it seems.

Regarding critics. They are often closed in their own little world too. They have subjective tastes and can be fanboys or be persuaded etc.

On top of that, I have seen criticis like Stuckmann (whom I respect a lot) being willingly ignorant of glaring mistakes in TLJ (opening the door to the vaccum of space to let Leia in). This is not a subjective value judgement, but a logical mistake that undermines the coherence of the movie. He did the same with The Dark Knight Rises, so there's that.

Bottom line is this:
Critics are no more objective than an average person, nor are they immune to the influence of the movie business. Actually, they are more exposed to it, for better and for worse. They just have a job and a set of skills that help them to analyze movies on various levels. But the more knowledge you have it is easier to dose it for those who do not possess it.

Last edited by Stigma on Feb 24th, 2018 at 11:49 AM

Old Post Feb 24th, 2018 11:42 AM
Click here to Send Stigma a Private Message Find more posts by Stigma Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Rockydonovang
freedom fighter

Originally posted by FreshestSlice
should just throw away the past for no reason in particular

What? No it's that we should learn from our mistakes and move on.

THE PT jedi made a slew of mistakes resulting in their downfall. OT Luke realzined and defied one of the pt jedi's defining flaws:
"no love"
to redeem his father.

Quote me on "some of the worst dialogue in the series". Yoda's bit about masters, "let the past die", and luke's "I didn't fear it enough then" are some of the series' best lines.

Old Post Feb 24th, 2018 04:40 PM
Click here to Send Rockydonovang a Private Message Find more posts by Rockydonovang Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote