KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Planet of the Apes

Planet of the Apes
Started by: Ratcat

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (6): « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
JediOasis
Better Man

"Almost Famous?" I didn't love that movie, not what I expected smile Anyhoo, who else is it in the movie besides Marky Mark.

"I loved it the first time I saw it. It's goodies and baddies, cowboys and Indians in space. I was a child when it came out and it still appeals to me now. It is one of my favourite films ever and Darth Vader is best."
-Noel Gallagher

Old Post Mar 21st, 2001 06:35 AM
JediOasis is currently offline Click here to Send JediOasis a Private Message Find more posts by JediOasis Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Schindler's List was a good film of a book. Exactly what a film of a book should be- cut out enough to keep it a film, sand not so much that the point was missed. So he had to re-arrange things a little; I think it was a brilliant conversion.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Old Post Mar 21st, 2001 06:46 AM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

Jaws is the ultimate film of as book: a lot better!!!!

I read an interesting interview with Sydney Pollack a a while back. He said he preferred to buy the rights to bad books with great ideas. Thus he could use the great idea and turn it into a film. The rights are cheap and the author's no bother since his book was lousy anyway. He said that a good book is difficult to make into a movie, since it is so good AS a book. Umberto Eco also said something about that when Jean-Jacques Annaud made Name of the Rose, he said that he didn't want to butt in in the moviemaking because "a film is a film and a book is a book".

Old Post Mar 21st, 2001 01:57 PM
queeq is currently offline Click here to Send queeq a Private Message Find more posts by queeq Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Gundark
Mayhem

I don't think planet of the apes is gonna be another series of movies, finti, just one. Or at least that's what I heard. The Patriot was excellent...it you really gave you a clear impression of what they were fighting for over here and what they sacrificed in their personal lives. We rented that the weekend we rented The Green Mile. That was also very good.

I read Jaws after I saw the movie, queeq...I agree the movie was MUCH better.

Old Post Mar 21st, 2001 05:29 PM
Gundark is currently offline Click here to Send Gundark a Private Message Find more posts by Gundark Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

I read it after the movie as well (wink ) and it was a bit of a letdown, I think. Spielberg really made a good story out of story.

Old Post Mar 21st, 2001 05:31 PM
queeq is currently offline Click here to Send queeq a Private Message Find more posts by queeq Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Gundark
Mayhem

Yeah I'm glad he didn't drag that Ellen/Hooper thing into it. And Roy Scheider is much better than the Brody described in the book. stick out tongue

Old Post Mar 21st, 2001 09:27 PM
Gundark is currently offline Click here to Send Gundark a Private Message Find more posts by Gundark Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

Almost everything is better than the book. Even Quint.

Old Post Mar 22nd, 2001 02:16 AM
finti

Everything, but the shark.laughing out loud

Old Post Mar 22nd, 2001 05:55 AM
finti is currently offline Click here to Send finti a Private Message Find more posts by finti Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

And that's why Spielberg cut him out most of the time.

Old Post Mar 22nd, 2001 01:52 PM
Gundark
Mayhem

Did you know....(Gundy's bit o'trivia here) that the last day of filming on the Jaws set, the crew was gonna toss Spielberg into the water ? He got wind of it and dressed in all leather and suede clothes that day and the crew decided they couldn't do it, being as the salt water would have destroyed everything he was wearing ! laughing out loud

Old Post Mar 22nd, 2001 04:56 PM
queeq
Chaos

Didn't know that. laughing out loud

I loved Dreyfuss talking about the problems with the shark. He said in a doc on the Jaws-DVD that for months they heard the walkie-talkies going like this: "The shark's not working, the shark's not working." And then near the end of the production they finally heard something else: "The shark is working, the shark is working." laughing out loud

Anyway, Spielberg said Jaws was a fun movie to watch but not a fun movie to make.

Old Post Mar 23rd, 2001 03:09 AM
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

I don't want to sound all Briitsh and pompous here, but the Patriot was APPALLING from a historical perspective. And I just don't mean that form a scholarly point of view... what is it with Mel Gibson and British oppression, anyway? Won't ever catch him doing an aboriginal rights movie, will you?

Not as annoying as U-571, though.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Old Post Mar 23rd, 2001 03:26 AM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

I heard U-571 was very nice, historically incorrect, but a nice movie nevertheless. And I still have to see The Patriot, heard mixed reports about that one.

Old Post Mar 23rd, 2001 03:39 AM
Gundark
Mayhem

I understand what you're saying, Ush...I guess he figures thats a good subject for big money-makers.

I think one of the best parts of Jaws was when Quint was telling the story of the USS Indianapolis. IMHO.

Ya know, queeq, RC is gonna be really mad when he comes back and sees how we've twisted his Apes topic into a Jaws thread. I guess that'll mean we've done well. laughing out loud laughing out loud

Old Post Mar 23rd, 2001 03:42 AM
queeq
Chaos

Not done well, we did excellently. laughing out loud

Did you know the Indianapolis story is Spielberg's favourite scene?

Old Post Mar 23rd, 2001 03:50 AM
Raz
Meister

Admin

No, I didn't

Haven't seen Jaws in a long time. I think I was about 14 since I last saw it.
Although Jaws 3 was on TV a couple of days ago, didn't really think much of it really...

Old Post Mar 23rd, 2001 05:20 PM
Raz is currently offline Click here to Send Raz a Private Message Find more posts by Raz Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

Jaws 2, 3 and 4 SUCK!!!!!

The first one is SUPERB! Go see it again. They re-released it on video and DVD for the 25th anniversary. And they released a wonderful special edition of the soundtrack: John Williams of course. With previoulsy unreleased music and unused music!

Old Post Mar 23rd, 2001 05:51 PM
Gundark
Mayhem

Oh I agree...the other the Jaws were terrible. Especially 4, with Ellen going after the shark. sick

Chaos & Mayhem strike again ! laughing out loud

Old Post Mar 23rd, 2001 07:46 PM
finti

Yeah Jaws 2,3 and 4 does suck just as al Star Trek movies suck!!!!!!!!!1

Old Post Mar 23rd, 2001 09:03 PM
finti is currently offline Click here to Send finti a Private Message Find more posts by finti Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

And finti-the-movie-fan strikes again. laughing out loud

Old Post Mar 23rd, 2001 09:18 PM