KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movies » Movie Discussion » What exactly makes one a "true fan" of something?

What exactly makes one a "true fan" of something?
Started by: Ridley_Prime

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Ridley_Prime
Smug icon slayer

What exactly makes one a "true fan" of something?

With how much the term gets thrown around amongst Star Wars fans and more recently the TLJ thread here in particular, thought it might be interesting to discuss.

Aside from the toxic way it is used in arguments or against others the one who said it disagrees with, it's meaning (for lack of better word) with how it is used has been wildly inconsistent.

. You don't like the latest movie, or you don't like all the movies? You're not a true fan.

. You're not shitting on the latest film like me/the loud bandwagon are? You're not a true fan.

etc, etc...
So what does it mean to be a "true fan", exactly? In the case of Star Wars, unbridled purism for the OT, or just anyone who accepts whatever the corporate mouse decides for the current/future films?

Whatever the case, depending on how you determine what makes one a true Star Wars fan, there may be very few true fans in the world, pending on how you define the criteria for it, which is part of why it's hard to take seriously.

More and more over time I've boiled it down to weird elitist argument fallacies, but if someone has a better idea of what makes one a true fan than what I've already said, please enlighten me.

Oh, lastly, since I didn't mention the prequels... stick out tongue

(please log in to view the image)

Fair enough, yeah? If not, I guess I'll be sacrificed at the alter by the almighty true fans...

Last edited by Ridley_Prime on Jan 6th, 2018 at 11:29 PM

Old Post Jan 6th, 2018 11:19 PM
Ridley_Prime is currently offline Click here to Send Ridley_Prime a Private Message Find more posts by Ridley_Prime Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Flyattractor

For me it boils down to this.
There are 3 Types of "Fan".

Casual, Invested,and Fanatic.

Casual is the Vast Majority or People. The go see the movies. Watch the Shows. Can name the actors and the characters.

Invested does all of the above and buys the merch. DVDs, Books. and Toys etc.and knows about the production of the material both infront of and behind the scenes.

Next is the FANATIC.
People that take all of the above and give it a RELIGIOUS POLITICAL FANATIC Type treatment. Basically Quan.

Old Post Jan 6th, 2018 11:24 PM
Flyattractor is currently offline Click here to Send Flyattractor a Private Message Find more posts by Flyattractor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Braniac 5.0
God of War

Im type 1

Old Post Jan 6th, 2018 11:48 PM
Braniac 5.0 is currently offline Click here to Send Braniac 5.0 a Private Message Find more posts by Braniac 5.0 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Flyattractor

I go back and forth between 1 & 3. The Source material itself tends to keep me from full on type 3.

Old Post Jan 6th, 2018 11:53 PM
Flyattractor is currently offline Click here to Send Flyattractor a Private Message Find more posts by Flyattractor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

I'm usually between Type 1 & 2.

Old Post Jan 7th, 2018 01:31 AM
Kazenji is currently offline Click here to Send Kazenji a Private Message Find more posts by Kazenji Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
riv6672

Tattoos.
When you permanently brand yourself with a character or something related to what your into, you're a true fan.

Old Post Jan 7th, 2018 03:21 AM
riv6672 is currently offline Click here to Send riv6672 a Private Message Find more posts by riv6672 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Flyattractor

A Type 3.

Old Post Jan 7th, 2018 03:21 AM
Josh_Alexander
Keeper of Cosmic Balance

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Flyattractor
For me it boils down to this.
There are 3 Types of "Fan".

Casual, Invested,and Fanatic.

Casual is the Vast Majority or People. The go see the movies. Watch the Shows. Can name the actors and the characters.

Invested does all of the above and buys the merch. DVDs, Books. and Toys etc.and knows about the production of the material both infront of and behind the scenes.

Next is the FANATIC.
People that take all of the above and give it a RELIGIOUS POLITICAL FANATIC Type treatment. Basically Quan.

Hahahaha!

Quan a type 3!!???

After his thread about Kylo being better than Vader i believe Quan has created a whole new level!!!

Old Post Jan 7th, 2018 03:52 AM
Josh_Alexander is currently offline Click here to Send Josh_Alexander a Private Message Find more posts by Josh_Alexander Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
quanchi112
Disney

Originally posted by Josh_Alexander
Hahahaha!

Quan a type 3!!???

After his thread about Kylo being better than Vader i believe Quan has created a whole new level!!!
Your posts are pure cringe. I wonder if you've ever made anyone laugh in your insignicant life.

Old Post Jan 7th, 2018 03:54 AM
quanchi112 is currently offline Click here to Send quanchi112 a Private Message Find more posts by quanchi112 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Flyattractor

Hahahaha!

Quan a type 3!!???

Well every type would have its own separate categories and subsections.

Old Post Jan 7th, 2018 03:57 AM
Josh_Alexander
Keeper of Cosmic Balance

Well every type would have its own separate categories and subsections.

Yeah, true.

Old Post Jan 7th, 2018 04:03 AM
Josh_Alexander is currently offline Click here to Send Josh_Alexander a Private Message Find more posts by Josh_Alexander Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Josh_Alexander
Keeper of Cosmic Balance

Originally posted by quanchi112
Your posts are pure cringe. I wonder if you've ever made anyone laugh in your insignicant life.

Dont doubt it.

Old Post Jan 7th, 2018 04:04 AM
quanchi112
Disney

Dont doubt it.
Just keep trying.

Old Post Jan 7th, 2018 04:15 AM
quanchi112 is currently offline Click here to Send quanchi112 a Private Message Find more posts by quanchi112 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Flyattractor

Originally posted by quanchi112
Just keep trying.

Quanny would probably get a Sub Cat named after him.

Old Post Jan 7th, 2018 04:41 AM
CroftAlice

I am type 1.

Old Post Jan 7th, 2018 05:11 AM
CroftAlice is currently offline Click here to Send CroftAlice a Private Message Find more posts by CroftAlice Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dreampanther
We all face the reaper.

Originally posted by Kazenji
I'm usually between Type 1 & 2.

Same here.

May all your dreams come true - except for one.

Old Post Jan 7th, 2018 11:08 AM
Dreampanther is currently offline Click here to Send Dreampanther a Private Message Find more posts by Dreampanther Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
quanchi112
Disney

Nah.

Old Post Jan 7th, 2018 02:23 PM
Josh_Alexander
Keeper of Cosmic Balance

laughing out loud

Old Post Jan 7th, 2018 03:09 PM
quanchi112
Disney

laughing out loud
?

Old Post Jan 7th, 2018 03:16 PM
John Murdoch

Between Type 1 and 2: I'll watch most of the media associated with Wolverine, and gladly buy a coffee mug and dress up like Logan for Halloween, but won't devote fervor to a fictional character.

Type 1: "Logan was a great movie."
Type 2: "Dude, I'm hanging this Logan movie poster up in my garage."
Type 3: "Old Man Hugh Jackman Logan rolopwns Captain America, Black Panther, and Galactus FTW!!!!!"

Old Post Jan 8th, 2018 12:34 AM
John Murdoch is currently offline Click here to Send John Murdoch a Private Message Find more posts by John Murdoch Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote