KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Should convicted felons be allowed to hold public office?

Should convicted felons be allowed to hold public office?
Started by: cdtm

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
cdtm

Should convicted felons be allowed to hold public office?

http://www.courant.com/opinion/op-e...0502-story.html

http://courantblogs.com/investigati...run-for-office/

Follow up question: Who keeps voting for these jokers in the first place?

"Hey, isn't that the guy who evaded tax's, accepted $5,000 in bribes, and stole money to fix his car? I KNOW WHO I'M VOTING FOR!"

Seriously. Whether they're trustworthy isn't even an issue anymoe, so WTF PEOPLE?

Never let anyone else define you. Don't be a jerk just to be a jerk, but if you are expressing your true inner feelings and beliefs, or at least trying to express that inner child, and everyone gets pissed off about it, never NEVER apologize for it. Let them think what they want, let them define you in their narrow little minds while they suppress every last piece of them just to keep a friend that never liked them for themselves in the first place.

Old Post Jan 7th, 2018 02:47 PM
cdtm is currently offline Click here to Send cdtm a Private Message Find more posts by cdtm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
CroftAlice

A wolf remains a wolf even though he changes his fur.

Old Post Jan 7th, 2018 02:57 PM
CroftAlice is currently offline Click here to Send CroftAlice a Private Message Find more posts by CroftAlice Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sin I AM
Madame Mort

quote: (post)
Originally posted by cdtm

"Hey, isn't that the guy who evaded tax's, accepted $5,000 in bribes, and stole money to fix his car? I KNOW WHO I'M VOTING FOR!"

Seriously. Whether they're trustworthy isn't even an issue anymoe, so WTF PEOPLE?

Yes

Old Post Jan 7th, 2018 03:25 PM
Sin I AM is currently offline Click here to Send Sin I AM a Private Message Find more posts by Sin I AM Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm

Originally posted by Sin I AM
Yes

Yes, they should?

The way I see it, public office is based on trust. The moment someone breaks that trust, they should be kept as far away from the public tills as possible.

It's like having a corrupt judge resume their duties. Without trust, the whole system becomes a joke.

Never let anyone else define you. Don't be a jerk just to be a jerk, but if you are expressing your true inner feelings and beliefs, or at least trying to express that inner child, and everyone gets pissed off about it, never NEVER apologize for it. Let them think what they want, let them define you in their narrow little minds while they suppress every last piece of them just to keep a friend that never liked them for themselves in the first place.

Old Post Jan 7th, 2018 05:30 PM
cdtm is currently offline Click here to Send cdtm a Private Message Find more posts by cdtm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Ellimist
The Shadow

Yes. I think we need to be very careful opening that can of worms (restricting who can run).

Old Post Jan 7th, 2018 05:50 PM
The Ellimist is currently offline Click here to Send The Ellimist a Private Message Find more posts by The Ellimist Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sin I AM
Madame Mort

Yes, they should?

The way I see it, public office is based on trust. The moment someone breaks that trust, they should be kept as far away from the public tills as possible.

It's like having a corrupt judge resume their duties. Without trust, the whole system becomes a joke.

Its based on the people and what they want. If he paid his debt to society who cares.

Also this

Originally posted by The Ellimist
Yes. I think we need to be very careful opening that can of worms (restricting who can run).

Old Post Jan 7th, 2018 06:06 PM
Sin I AM is currently offline Click here to Send Sin I AM a Private Message Find more posts by Sin I AM Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
bluewaterrider

The way I see it, public office is based on trust.

confused You ... trust Trump?

To do what, exactly?

Old Post Jan 7th, 2018 06:07 PM
bluewaterrider is currently offline Click here to Send bluewaterrider a Private Message Find more posts by bluewaterrider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darkstorm Zero
Master of all Decepticons

I wouldn't trust Trump to sit the right way on a toilet seat.

"I have become Death, the destroyer of worlds..."

Old Post Jan 7th, 2018 06:09 PM
Darkstorm Zero is currently offline Click here to Send Darkstorm Zero a Private Message Find more posts by Darkstorm Zero Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dadudemon

Re: Should convicted felons be allowed to hold public office?

Yes. Let the hold office, too. It is up to the people to decide. Hoooray, democracy! big grin

Old Post Jan 7th, 2018 10:43 PM
dadudemon is currently offline Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by dadudemon
Yes. Let the hold office, too. It is up to the people to decide. Hoooray, democracy! big grin

Lol unless they decide on someone you do not want. Then they whine and whine and whine and shout "not my president". Run campaigns to get the electors to not vote the way their state chose when it came to the Electoral College. Same folk who whined when they thought Trump wouldn't accept the results lol, SAME FOLK.

Then it was collusion Trump did, then obstruction, then no he's just mental. Next week I expect them to suggest Trump is legit possessed and demand he undergo an exorcism.

Last edited by Surtur on Jan 7th, 2018 at 11:34 PM

Old Post Jan 7th, 2018 11:30 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm

Originally posted by The Ellimist

A felony isn't really much of a can, imo.

And we already restrict who can run.

Old Post Jan 7th, 2018 11:52 PM
Afro Cheese

My brother just got charged with a felony for stealing booze at work (at a grocery store). 25 dollars worth. It's considered a felony because he's an employee for some reason. He's 18 years old with no record.

And I know someone else who has 2 felonies cause she was busted trying to buy crack from an undercover cop. Wasn't a dealer or anything... she was just a crackhead.

Last edited by Afro Cheese on Jan 7th, 2018 at 11:59 PM

Old Post Jan 7th, 2018 11:56 PM
Afro Cheese is currently offline Click here to Send Afro Cheese a Private Message Find more posts by Afro Cheese Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Rockydonovang
freedom fighter

If you've paid the time then you should experience all the rights of citizenship. Otherwise, the government has no business violating other people's rights in the first place/

Old Post Jan 8th, 2018 12:11 AM
Rockydonovang is currently offline Click here to Send Rockydonovang a Private Message Find more posts by Rockydonovang Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Rockydonovang
freedom fighter

And we already restrict who can run.

What we do or don't do isn't relevant to what we should or should not do. Explain why people should have to be subjected to punishment according to the laws of a country when they don't get to enjoy the rights afforded to members of that country.

Old Post Jan 8th, 2018 12:13 AM
Rockydonovang is currently offline Click here to Send Rockydonovang a Private Message Find more posts by Rockydonovang Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm

Originally posted by Rockydonovang
What we do or don't do isn't relevant to what we should or should not do. Explain why people should have to be subjected to punishment according to the laws of a country when they don't get to enjoy the rights afforded to members of that country.

You seriously don't see anything wrong with someone who accepted bribes, stole money, and evaded tax's in a position of trust over the public?

Since we're talking about "should's "

If you don't think corruption is a deal breaker, ethically, then I don't know what to tell you.

It's no wonder our country is run by crooks, if many of the opinions here are common.

Old Post Jan 8th, 2018 12:20 AM
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

With the shit these politicians already pull do we want to say "you can run even if you get convicted of a felony" ?

Old Post Jan 8th, 2018 12:21 AM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Rockydonovang
freedom fighter

You seriously don't see anything wrong with someone who accepted bribes, stole money, and evaded tax's in a position of trust over the public?

I see something wrong with them being elected. I don't see a problem with them running. That they won is not the fault of us allowing them to exercise their rights but rather the fault of us constantly undermining the right to vote.

I also have no issue with elected officials who were once convicted of having weed or petty theft a way back.

If you don't think corruption is a deal breaker, ethically, then I don't know what to tell you.

It should be a deal breaker for people looking to elect them, but a crime you've already paid time for vi a a violation of your own rights should not be used to further restrict your rights.
It's no wonder our country is run by crooks, if many of the opinions here are common.

Our country is run by crooks because money is corrupt and money decides policy rather than the populace. That's not justification to restrict people's rights after they have already had their rights restricted. What happened to no double jeopardy?

Old Post Jan 8th, 2018 12:35 AM
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Double Jeopardy starred a NASTY woman.

Old Post Jan 8th, 2018 12:38 AM
dadudemon

Originally posted by Surtur
Lol unless they decide on someone you do not want.

Well that's too f****in' bad, now isn't it? Almost ALL politicians at the national level, I don't want in office. big grin

Take the good with the bad with democracy.

Old Post Jan 8th, 2018 01:14 AM
dadudemon is currently offline Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dadudemon

Originally posted by Afro Cheese
My brother just got charged with a felony for stealing booze at work (at a grocery store). 25 dollars worth. It's considered a felony because he's an employee for some reason. He's 18 years old with no record.

And I know someone else who has 2 felonies cause she was busted trying to buy crack from an undercover cop. Wasn't a dealer or anything... she was just a crackhead.

Interesting that both are drug related crimes.

Old Post Jan 8th, 2018 01:15 AM