KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » Why is Anakin addressed as Master in TCW and RotS?

Why is Anakin addressed as Master in TCW and RotS?
Started by: Kurk

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Kurk
Restricted

Account Restricted

Why is Anakin addressed as Master in TCW and RotS?

1. RotS the younglings call him master, but you could claim that they're children who don't know any better. Plus them calling him master could just mean that they really look up to him as a mentor.

2. in TCW Anakin is addressed as master by Dooku and a few others. This is less excusable as they should know better.

Dooku calling him master here: https://youtu.be/DOZ4SpuOmH4?t=21s

Could "young master" be Dooku's way of mocking him via dun moch?

Barriss calls him master as well here: https://youtu.be/2tMQyJCKLcw?t=25s

In legends Barriss would've been a jedi knight by this time, rendering the claim that she calls him master due to rank difference as incorrect.

I'm not sure if she would've been a knight by then in canon, but she's not wearing the padawan braid in this scene.

Feel free to contribute to the discussion.

"Technology equals might!" "Evolve or perish"

Old Post Jan 7th, 2018 04:16 PM
Click here to Send Kurk a Private Message Find more posts by Kurk Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Ellimist
The Shadow

I mean you sometimes call university lecturers professors even though they're usually not formally considered professors.

Old Post Jan 7th, 2018 05:07 PM
Click here to Send The Ellimist a Private Message Find more posts by The Ellimist Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kurk
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote: (post)
Originally posted by The Ellimist
I mean you sometimes call university lecturers professors even though they're usually not formally considered professors.
I don't. My classmates do. It's a huge pet peeve of mine.

Tenured Professors are addressed as professor

Assistant and associate profs are addressed as "dr"

non-doctorates are mrs/mr

not that hard people.

Old Post Jan 7th, 2018 05:12 PM
Click here to Send Kurk a Private Message Find more posts by Kurk Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Pessimystic
Restricted

Account Restricted

Probably out of pity, even the younglings are teasing him.

Old Post Jan 7th, 2018 05:13 PM
Click here to Send Pessimystic a Private Message Find more posts by Pessimystic Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jaggarath
DarthAnt66

"Master" serves as a title of respect / formality of someone older / higher ranked.

Dooku is likely playing on Anakin's desires.

"There is only Revan. Only he can shape this galaxy as it is meant to be shaped."

Old Post Jan 7th, 2018 05:13 PM
Click here to Send Jaggarath a Private Message Find more posts by Jaggarath Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Ellimist
The Shadow

Originally posted by Kurk
I don't. My classmates do. It's a huge pet peeve of mine.

Tenured Professors are addressed as professor

Assistant and associate profs are addressed as "dr"

non-doctorates are mrs/mr

not that hard people.

But what if the lecturer in question is a genius prodigy who's published more than practically any professor and has just not been granted tenure because the committee thinks he's too hotheaded?

Old Post Jan 7th, 2018 05:18 PM
Click here to Send The Ellimist a Private Message Find more posts by The Ellimist Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kurk
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by The Ellimist
But what if the lecturer in question is a genius prodigy who's published more than practically any professor and has just not been granted tenure because the committee thinks he's too hotheaded?
Then you address them as EmperorDMB

Old Post Jan 7th, 2018 05:29 PM
JKBart
Restricted

Account Restricted

It's the common courtesy within the Jedi Order, where the baseline of the structure is that of the fully trained Jedi and the students. Masters+Knights, Padawans+Initiates/Younglings. That's basically masters and apprentices, two groups.

In that regard, that Knight is called a master, but not called a Master. You get the difference I hope. Jedi Knight is part of the general half of the Order that consists of fully trained Jedi that are commonly called "masters".

That's as natural as calling your grand-grandfather a grandfather, or any other simplifications like that. Perhaps the best example is the common courtesy to address the policemen as "officers" in most countries, even in those where officers are the servicemembers of the upper echelon of the rank structure within command position, usually consisting of up to 10-20% of the unit. It's just a simplification mixed with courtesy.

They are angry because they have been forced to recognize that their hour has arrived; that the time has come to surrender power to Shimrra and the new order."

Old Post Jan 7th, 2018 05:29 PM
Click here to Send JKBart a Private Message Find more posts by JKBart Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kurk
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by JKBart
It's the common courtesy within the Jedi Order, where the baseline of the structure is that of the fully trained Jedi and the students. Masters+Knights, Padawans+Initiates/Younglings. That's basically masters and apprentices, two groups.

In that regard, that Knight is called a master, but not called a Master. You get the difference I hope. Jedi Knight is part of the general half of the Order that consists of fully trained Jedi that are commonly called "masters".

That's as natural as calling your grand-grandfather a grandfather, or any other simplifications like that. Perhaps the best example is the common courtesy to address the policemen as "officers" in most countries, even in those where officers are the servicemembers of the upper echelon of the rank structure within command position, usually consisting of up to 10-20% of the unit. It's just a simplification mixed with courtesy.
It's been a while since I've since a non-shit post from you, Bart. Here are some brownie points.

Old Post Jan 7th, 2018 05:33 PM
The Ellimist
The Shadow

Bart has stopped trolling as much as of late, he even shed his fake TOR wank and acknowledged that Valkorion is Obi Wan tier. smile

Old Post Jan 7th, 2018 05:34 PM
Sinious
Yo Da Best

Originally posted by Pessimystic
Probably out of pity, even the younglings are teasing him.
kek

"That is why you fail."

Old Post Jan 7th, 2018 11:56 PM
Click here to Send Sinious a Private Message Find more posts by Sinious Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Selenial
I Choose Violence

Originally posted by Kurk
It's been a while since I've since a non-shit post from you, Bart. Here are some brownie points.

His RP knowledge comes in hot sometimes, yeh.

"i admire u choose cersei as ur avi sel. at least u know that ur one sick *****, i can respect that" - Inturpid.

Old Post Jan 8th, 2018 12:30 AM
Click here to Send Selenial a Private Message Find more posts by Selenial Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Freedon Nadd

Because younglings were terrified of him.

RealistRacism: "Sheevites, much like the Banites, were meant to increase in power with each member. From Lightsnake to Gideon to Azronger, this was supposed to be the case. However, knowledge must've been lost in some kind of Gravid-like incident, as Az turned out to be a mid-tier debater with a sub-par track record, sh!itting all over Tempest's legacy. Sad."

Old Post Jan 8th, 2018 11:41 AM
Click here to Send Freedon Nadd a Private Message Find more posts by Freedon Nadd Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Stark
Lord of Winterfell

In general Master Jedi and master are used to refer to any Jedi who has attained the rank of Knight especially when they have already had a Padawan. Dooku also refers to Obi-Wan as "Master Kenobi" and the Kaminoans call him Master Jedi.

The North Remembers

Old Post Jan 9th, 2018 02:24 AM
Click here to Send Lord Stark a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Stark Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

It's almost like these things were poorly written or something.

Old Post Jan 10th, 2018 04:23 AM
Click here to Send Lord Lucien a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Lucien Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote