KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Solutions to automation-induced job loss

Solutions to automation-induced job loss
Started by: The Ellimist

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (4): « 1 [2] 3 4 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
ArtificialGlory
God-Emperor of Eternity

"I went to an Ivy League school. I’m very highly educated. I know words, I have the best words. I have the best, but there is no better word than stupid. Right? There is none, there is none. There’s no, there’s no, there’s no word like that."
-Trump, 2016.

Old Post Jan 8th, 2018 09:41 PM
ArtificialGlory is currently offline Click here to Send ArtificialGlory a Private Message Find more posts by ArtificialGlory Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dadudemon

quote: (post)
Originally posted by The Ellimist
Well there may be lots of time between mass-unemployment and human-level AGI.

Human-level Adjusted Gross Income, my favorite.

Old Post Jan 8th, 2018 09:55 PM
dadudemon is currently offline Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dadudemon

Re: Re: Solutions to automation-induced job loss

Originally posted by Steve Zodiac
Stay at home and plug into your VR orgy or sex bot.

I can't wait.

But, so help me, if you troll me even in my VR sexcapades by pretending to be a gal, I will fly to wherever you are and punch you in the stomach. And if you're eating cheerios for your breakfast, I will fart in your cheerios.

Old Post Jan 8th, 2018 09:57 PM
dadudemon is currently offline Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dadudemon

Okay, seriously on topic...lol...I can't even talk about it.

I am working (not personally) on something that will automate something which eliminates all jobs related to this something that is automated. The only jobs would be the software pees and the hardware peeps. In other words, all the other people at the customer-facing spot...gone. lol

I seriously get a laugh out of this. We have an investor who wants to green-light this ASAP...he is trying to throw money at us to force us to up the priority on completing this. This is how badly he wants it. I seriously cannot stop pointing out all the problems and issues that need to be resolved to go to market with it but it is an amazing concept. I wish I could say more but NDAs n'such.

So, yes, I am directly involved with automating things to the point that it will eliminate an absurd amount of jobs. This idea is damn good and I would use this product, too. I did not consider the job losses associated with this until recently and it has me concerned. What if people protest this? What if I get harassed?

It's happening. It's not if, it is "which product will replace jobs x, y, and z this year?"

Old Post Jan 8th, 2018 10:03 PM
Adam Grimes
Devil On Your Shoulder

Well if you stop posting we will know what happened...

Not today, not tomorrow...

Old Post Jan 8th, 2018 10:07 PM
Adam Grimes is currently offline Click here to Send Adam Grimes a Private Message Find more posts by Adam Grimes Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
shiv
Spirit of Tengu

3 D Printing - AI - Networking Nanocomputers

The Jobs In IT = The Jobs in Design = Investment

They'll be Gone

Old Post Jan 8th, 2018 10:27 PM
shiv is currently offline Click here to Send shiv a Private Message Find more posts by shiv Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dadudemon

Originally posted by Adam Grimes
Well if you stop posting we will know what happened...

I wish so so so so so badly I could talk about it. My post would make absolute sensedsfl jal;sdfj ;aslkdf ;askdjf ;laskjdf; k

It's frustrating.

Old Post Jan 8th, 2018 10:32 PM
shiv
Spirit of Tengu

When you can't speak or write on a specific issue

Do as the old playwrights did in Athens

Can't tell a story - The king will kill you

Change the setting from Athens to Thebes

Change the protagonist from the Queen to The Princes Consort

Tell your story

Old Post Jan 8th, 2018 10:56 PM
shiv is currently offline Click here to Send shiv a Private Message Find more posts by shiv Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kurk
Restricted

Account Restricted

I love the takeover of mindless repetitive jobs by computers. I 100% support it.

There should be enough time before it fully happens for those who wish to change to do so. By change I mean pursue fields that require advanced problem solving and analytical thinking. Those sorts of jobs will be the last to be automated.

I see this entire thing as a purge of the inferiors much like the holocaust. The difference is that this purge is in the name of rationality rather than irrational fears and group thinking (bigotry).

"Technology equals might!" "Evolve or perish"

Old Post Jan 8th, 2018 11:06 PM
Kurk is currently offline Click here to Send Kurk a Private Message Find more posts by Kurk Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

Originally posted by Kurk
I love the takeover of mindless repetitive jobs by computers. I 100% support it.

There should be enough time before it fully happens for those who wish to change to do so. By change I mean pursue fields that require advanced problem solving and analytical thinking. Those sorts of jobs will be the last to be automated.

I see this entire thing as a purge of the inferiors much like the holocaust. The difference is that this purge is in the name of rationality rather than irrational fears and group thinking (bigotry).

That was damn edgy, Kurk. Damn edgy. Extra points for working in the Holocaust reference and noting 'purging inferiors' to it.

You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Old Post Jan 9th, 2018 12:27 AM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kurk
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Robtard
That was damn edgy, Kurk. Damn edgy. Extra points for working in the Holocaust reference and noting 'purging inferiors' to it.
Not sure how it's edgy. I'm not the one threatened by it. I'm a young college student pursing computer science for this reason.

Old Post Jan 9th, 2018 12:46 AM
Kurk is currently offline Click here to Send Kurk a Private Message Find more posts by Kurk Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

Now you're back on computer science? It was a dental hygienist a few weeks ago. You need to stop letting your mother beat you into submission.

Old Post Jan 9th, 2018 12:53 AM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tzeentch
#gottem

Not sure how it's edgy. I'm not the one threatened by it. I'm a young college student pursing computer science for this reason.

In the future youre advocating you would be a loser, as youre competing with literally billions of people for the same job and millions of those competitors are either just smarter then you or willing to work in shittier conditions.

A second side effect is that once you get down to the last few non-automated sectors, the value of those jobs will go down due to the size of the available labor pool. Why would anyone pay you $50/hour to code or be an engineer when there are a million people who will do the same work at the same level of competency for $10?

"The Daemon lied with every breath. It could not help itself but to deceive and dismay, to riddle and ruin. The more we conversed, the closer I drew to one singularly ineluctable fact: I would gain no wisdom here."

Last edited by Tzeentch on Jan 9th, 2018 at 12:59 AM

Old Post Jan 9th, 2018 12:54 AM
Tzeentch is currently offline Click here to Send Tzeentch a Private Message Find more posts by Tzeentch Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kurk
Restricted

Account Restricted

Now you're back on computer science? It was a dental hygienist a few weeks ago. You need to stop letting your mother beat you into submission.
Touchè, but you should really start incorporating omega 3's into your diet as I've corrected you before.

Not dental hygienist, not dental technician, but the dentist. Funny you should say that as my mom was the one who tried to get me to submit to healthcare. After seeing how entitled Americans feel towards it having worked in EMS for a little, I have no interest in pursing a career in the field.

Originally posted by Tzeentch
In the future youre advocating you would be a loser, as youre competing with literally billions of people for the same job and millions of those competitors are either just smarter then you or willing to work in shittier conditions.

A second side effect is that once you get down to the last few non-automated sectors, the value of those jobs will go down due to the size of the available labor pool. Why would anyone pay you $50/hour to code or be an engineer when there are a million people who will do the same work at the same level of competency for $10?

It's not really computer science. I'm an undeclared freshman exploring my options. I'm fulfilling pre-engineering requirements at the very least.

Don't we all love outsourcing??? big grin big grin

Old Post Jan 9th, 2018 01:01 AM
Robtard
Senor Member

Originally posted by Tzeentch
Why would anyone pay you $50/hour to code or be an engineer when there are a million people who will do the same work at the same level of competency for $10?

That's already happening with out sourcing tech jobs to places like China and India. There's going to be some Indian who's not only smarter than Kirk, but willing to work for 1/5th the pay at 12hr shifts with not benefits.

Old Post Jan 9th, 2018 01:03 AM
Kurk
Restricted

Account Restricted

That's already happening with out sourcing tech jobs to places like China and India. There's going to be some Indian who's not only smarter than Kirk, but willing to work for 1/5th the pay at 12hr shifts with not benefits.
simplistic programming has and will continue to be off-shored. Software development for companies often requires a level of business/soft-skills that some dude in a cubicle over-seas doesn't have.

Do you have a better alternative for me, Robby? Should I work in a warehouse like Quanchi or will it become automated before all computer systems administrator jobs are outsourced?

Old Post Jan 9th, 2018 01:07 AM
quanchi112
Disney

simplistic programming has and will continue to be off-shored. Software development for companies often requires a level of business/soft-skills that some dude in a cubicle over-seas doesn't have.

Do you have a better alternative for me, Robby? Should I work in a warehouse like Quanchi or will it become automated before all computer systems administrator jobs are outsourced?
My former apprentice takes the time to just make his intentions so clear well here comes the force lightning. I don't work in a warehouse and I'd bet my bank account is far superior to your parents combined bank accounts. You are free to continue to search for your way on the college scene but I sincerely doubt you'll ever achieve success or happiness.

From what I can gather from your odd posts is you do a lot of self reflecting which usually means you overthink everything and tend to suffer a lot. A pitiful masochist who doesn't understand why they can't ever catch a break when the bitter irony is your mind is the problem not reality that surrounds you.

Last edited by quanchi112 on Jan 9th, 2018 at 01:14 AM

Old Post Jan 9th, 2018 01:12 AM
quanchi112 is currently offline Click here to Send quanchi112 a Private Message Find more posts by quanchi112 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

Do you have a better alternative for me, Robby?

Should I work in a warehouse like Quanchi or will it become automated before all computer systems administrator jobs are outsourced?

Nah, there's people in China and India just (or more) as qualified and intelligent for development. In today's eWorld one needn't be on the job, to be on the job.

Do what you like; what interest you. But imo, your mother's choice of dentistry is solid, it's a field that will be needed for sure and iirc, there are not billions of dentist. You just have to be good at it, to excel. This is of course if you can stand being a dentist, doesn't matter if you're the best dentist in the world but hate it and end up jumping off a building after you're 10,000th molar extraction.

IMO, you seem too smart to just do quanchi's warehouse job, but hey, if it makes you happy?

Old Post Jan 9th, 2018 01:14 AM
quanchi112
Disney

Nah, there's people in China and India just (or more) as qualified and intelligent for development. In today's eWorld one needn't be on the job, to be on the job.

Do what you like; what interest you. But imo, your mother's choice of dentistry is solid, it's a field that will be needed for sure and iirc, there are not billions of dentist. You just have to be good at it, to excel. This is of course if you can stand being a dentist, doesn't matter if you're the best dentist in the world but hate it and end up jumping off a building after you're 10,000th molar extraction.

IMO, you seem too smart to just do quanchi's warehouse job, but hey, if it makes you happy?
I will give you one post to rescind your baseless claims that I work at a warehouse.

Old Post Jan 9th, 2018 01:16 AM
quanchi112 is currently offline Click here to Send quanchi112 a Private Message Find more posts by quanchi112 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ILS
Restricted

Account Restricted

where do you work

“The galaxy must experience the pain of death and the rapture of rebirth as I have. I will bring chaos. It is time for war.

Old Post Jan 9th, 2018 01:18 AM
ILS is currently offline Click here to Send ILS a Private Message Find more posts by ILS Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote