KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Solutions to automation-induced job loss

Solutions to automation-induced job loss
Started by: The Ellimist

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (4): « 1 2 [3] 4 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
quanchi112
Disney

quote: (post)
Originally posted by ILS
where do you work
Not in a warehouse.

smile

Old Post Jan 9th, 2018 01:18 AM
quanchi112 is currently offline Click here to Send quanchi112 a Private Message Find more posts by quanchi112 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

Baseless? I was going off of what Kurk said and it's irrelevant where you work to my point. My point was to inspire the lad to achieve and not mope around his mother's house aimlessly.

You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Old Post Jan 9th, 2018 01:19 AM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kurk
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Robtard
Nah, there's people in China and India just (or more) as qualified and intelligent for development. In today's eWorld one needn't be on the job, to be on the job.

Do what you like; what interest you. But imo, your mother's choice of dentistry is solid, it's a field that will be needed for sure and iirc, there are not billions of dentist. You just have to be good at it, to excel. This is of course if you can stand being a dentist, doesn't matter if you're the best dentist in the world but hate it and end up jumping off a building after you're 10,000th molar extraction.

IMO, you seem too smart to just do quanchi's warehouse job, but hey, if it makes you happy?
Ah yes, the Asian master race...tough to compete with, I won't lie.

I'd love to take out a small student loan of $400,000 to look into disease ridden mouths all day at Aspen Dental all while (when it's said and done accounting loan payback) making the same as any middle-class American. Who doesn't love being a student debt slave until they're 45??? big grin big grin

It's almost as if Quanchi has it better off!

"Technology equals might!" "Evolve or perish"

Old Post Jan 9th, 2018 01:20 AM
Kurk is currently offline Click here to Send Kurk a Private Message Find more posts by Kurk Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
quanchi112
Disney

Baseless? I was going off of what Kurk said and it's irrelevant where you work to my point. My point was to inspire the lad to achieve and not mope around his mother's house aimlessly.
Well you can't trust Kurk's word is my point. He's a disillusioned lad who tries to wander back into my good graces as he stumbles through life. I tend to pity the lad because of the number his domineering mother has had on him. Mommy dearest only to a more severe degree than hanger beatings.

Old Post Jan 9th, 2018 01:23 AM
quanchi112 is currently offline Click here to Send quanchi112 a Private Message Find more posts by quanchi112 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kurk
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by quanchi112
My former apprentice takes the time to just make his intentions so clear well here comes the force lightning. I don't work in a warehouse and I'd bet my bank account is far superior to your parents combined bank accounts. You are free to continue to search for your way on the college scene but I sincerely doubt you'll ever achieve success or happiness.

From what I can gather from your odd posts is you do a lot of self reflecting which usually means you overthink everything and tend to suffer a lot. A pitiful masochist who doesn't understand why they can't ever catch a break when the bitter irony is your mind is the problem not reality that surrounds you.
Deadass this is probably the smartest thing I've seen you post. I was actually somewhat shocked by its accuracy. You have probed me as Snoke does to Rey and Kylo.
(please log in to view the image)

Old Post Jan 9th, 2018 01:25 AM
Kurk is currently offline Click here to Send Kurk a Private Message Find more posts by Kurk Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

Originally posted by Kurk

I'd love to take out a small student loan of $400,000 to look into disease ridden mouths all day at Aspen Dental all while (when it's said and done accounting loan payback) making the same as any middle-class American. Who doesn't love being a student debt slave until they're 45??? big grin big grin

Nah.

Then you're doing it wrong. My dentist, he owns/runs his own business easily makes well over $400k for himself, so even if all his loans (school, setting up the business etc) cost him a million, he's still doing alright and would be out of debt in a reasonable amount of time. He's also a very good dentist; this is key.

Nah, be like the dentist, not the guy throwing boxes in a warehouse. Or do computer science, if that's what you truly love.

Old Post Jan 9th, 2018 01:25 AM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
quanchi112
Disney

(please log in to view the image)

Old Post Jan 9th, 2018 01:26 AM
dadudemon

Originally posted by shiv
When you can't speak or write on a specific issue

Do as the old playwrights did in Athens

Can't tell a story - The king will kill you

Change the setting from Athens to Thebes

Change the protagonist from the Queen to The Princes Consort

Tell your story

It does nothing for you.

We are working on a swimming pool assembling project. Where some hardware and software assembles a swimming pool. And our client is Walmart. It will put countless people out of jobs who assemble swimming pools.

See, does nothing to actually let anyone understand it.

Old Post Jan 9th, 2018 01:26 AM
dadudemon is currently offline Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
shiv
Spirit of Tengu

Message Received

NDA's can be pretty severe

Old Post Jan 9th, 2018 02:43 AM
shiv is currently offline Click here to Send shiv a Private Message Find more posts by shiv Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kurk
Restricted

Account Restricted

Alright, now that I've gotten over Quanchi chewing me out, we can get back to this discussion.
Nah.

Then you're doing it wrong. My dentist, he owns/runs his own business easily makes well over $400k for himself, so even if all his loans (school, setting up the business etc) cost him a million, he's still doing alright and would be out of debt in a reasonable amount of time. He's also a very good dentist; this is key.

Nah, be like the dentist, not the guy throwing boxes in a warehouse. Or do computer science, if that's what you truly love.

I'm willing to bet that your dentist is close to 50. His debt was NOTHING when he graduated compared to how it is now.

Dental school tuition has skyrocketed in the past decade. More and more grads find themselves grinding out their years at Aspen Dental rather than starting their own practice. How can you take the additional risk of opening up your practice when you're paying off hundreds of thousands of dollars in loans? If you want to have a family, good luck. My ideal plan was to literally live in my mom's basement after graduating from dental school, living like a college student, for 5-6 years until the debt is paid off. So I'd be 32 by the time I can actually live independently without crippling debt. Does that really appeal to me at my current age? Not being able to buy my first car, invest money, pursue entrepreneurial interests until 3/8 of my life, half my working life, has gone past? Or maybe I'm just overly naive and must accept that in this day-and-age the majority of people my age are screwed and must accept this new reality.

What myself and others have predicted is that we're going to see a rise in corporate dentistry; chains like Aspen Dental and Dental Works offering low-cost, acceptable care for the shrinking middle-class and poor millennial. American dentists have traditionally made good money due to the baby-boomers having disposable income on voluntary procedures. That's where dentists get the green from—not fillings.

So when the best I can hope for upon graduation is to get a job at Aspen dental making 120K a year before accounting for debt and taxes, I don't really see the "light at the end of the tunnel" so to speak.

And then Robtard is going to shoot down computer science for me. Yes jobs are going to be outsourced; they already have. But for now it's commodity jobs—ones any programmer can do. There is still a demand for computer people by our government, for example, who's not going to employ a H-1B. Cybersecurity is a growing field with all of these attacks. Will companies trust overseas workers to do this? What about computer systems analysts? Systems architects? Are you really telling me that someone who pursues computer science, one of the more rigorous, mathematically demanding majors is just as screwed as a philosophy or gender studies major due to outsourcing? Give me a break; as if every job outside of health-care is screwed. And I thought I was a pessimist.

Sorry for typos; pressed for time

Old Post Jan 10th, 2018 04:43 PM
dadudemon

Alright, now that I've gotten over Quanchi chewing me out, we can get back to this discussion.
I'm willing to bet that your dentist is close to 50. His debt was NOTHING when he graduated compared to how it is now.

Dental school tuition has skyrocketed in the past decade. More and more grads find themselves grinding out their years at Aspen Dental rather than starting their own practice. How can you take the additional risk of opening up your practice when you're paying off hundreds of thousands of dollars in loans? If you want to have a family, good luck. My ideal plan was to literally live in my mom's basement after graduating from dental school, living like a college student, for 5-6 years until the debt is paid off. So I'd be 32 by the time I can actually live independently without crippling debt. Does that really appeal to me at my current age? Not being able to buy my first car, invest money, pursue entrepreneurial interests until 3/8 of my life, half my working life, has gone past? Or maybe I'm just overly naive and must accept that in this day-and-age the majority of people my age are screwed and must accept this new reality.

What myself and others have predicted is that we're going to see a rise in corporate dentistry; chains like Aspen Dental and Dental Works offering low-cost, acceptable care for the shrinking middle-class and poor millennial. American dentists have traditionally made good money due to the baby-boomers having disposable income on voluntary procedures. That's where dentists get the green from—not fillings.

So when the best I can hope for upon graduation is to get a job at Aspen dental making 120K a year before accounting for debt and taxes, I don't really see the "light at the end of the tunnel" so to speak.

And then Robtard is going to shoot down computer science for me. Yes jobs are going to be outsourced; they already have. But for now it's commodity jobs—ones any programmer can do. There is still a demand for computer people by our government, for example, who's not going to employ a H-1B. Cybersecurity is a growing field with all of these attacks. Will companies trust overseas workers to do this? What about computer systems analysts? Systems architects? Are you really telling me that someone who pursues computer science, one of the more rigorous, mathematically demanding majors is just as screwed as a philosophy or gender studies major due to outsourcing? Give me a break; as if every job outside of health-care is screwed. And I thought I was a pessimist.

Sorry for typos; pressed for time

Nah, dude, just go for what you like to do. If you want to be a dentist, be a dentist. If you want to be a dev, be a dev.

Do what you want. Don't waste time. Work hard. Don't give up.

Don't let internet haters and douchebags get you down. And don't talk about what you're going to do: do it.

Old Post Jan 10th, 2018 05:14 PM
dadudemon is currently offline Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

Kurk,

I don't know how old he is, but he seems to be in his early 30's. He's just a very good dentist and admittedly, in a good/affluent location. It's also very possible he had/has family money backing him.

Anyhow, DDM summed up my previous general point above well. So listen to that.

Old Post Jan 10th, 2018 05:20 PM
The Ellimist
The Shadow

If you have the knack for it and we're only looking at earning potential / hours worked, software engineering might be the best profession to get into right now.

Of course, a lot of things matter other than that.

Old Post Jan 10th, 2018 05:31 PM
The Ellimist is currently offline Click here to Send The Ellimist a Private Message Find more posts by The Ellimist Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

The best solution is to get a job making robots until the robots replace you with other robots to build the robots.

By that point it won't matter. It's like discovering a nuke about to go off in 60 seconds: unless there is a refrigerator around to protect you...nothing you do matters.

Old Post Jan 11th, 2018 01:12 AM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Afro Cheese

Originally posted by dadudemon
It does nothing for you.

We are working on a swimming pool assembling project. Where some hardware and software assembles a swimming pool. And our client is Walmart. It will put countless people out of jobs who assemble swimming pools.

See, does nothing to actually let anyone understand it.
All we need to understand is the robots will inevitably out-compete humans in the long run, leaving even the most advanced and accomplished among us obsolete and primed for extinction.

Old Post Jan 11th, 2018 01:17 AM
Afro Cheese is currently offline Click here to Send Afro Cheese a Private Message Find more posts by Afro Cheese Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dadudemon

Originally posted by Afro Cheese
All we need to understand is the robots will inevitably out-compete humans in the long run, leaving even the most advanced and accomplished among us obsolete and primed for extinction.

Troof.

It will happen even to me, a person who will be involved in making humans obsolete. But I would argue that I will be among the last "working humans."

Old Post Jan 11th, 2018 03:10 PM
cdtm
Restricted

Account Restricted

Re: Solutions to automation-induced job loss

Originally posted by The Ellimist
Discuss.

Stop science?

AI advancement is to help workers, not replace them. Suuuuure it is.

Never let anyone else define you. Don't be a jerk just to be a jerk, but if you are expressing your true inner feelings and beliefs, or at least trying to express that inner child, and everyone gets pissed off about it, never NEVER apologize for it. Let them think what they want, let them define you in their narrow little minds while they suppress every last piece of them just to keep a friend that never liked them for themselves in the first place.

Old Post Jan 11th, 2018 03:14 PM
cdtm is currently offline Click here to Send cdtm a Private Message Find more posts by cdtm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm
Restricted

Account Restricted

https://www.theverge.com/2017/10/18...ero-self-taught

This is both fascinating and terrifying.

Go AI beats Go champion.

The game of Go has more positions then there are stars in the universe. Brute force is impossible, so this is a HUGE advancement.

Never let anyone else define you. Don't be a jerk just to be a jerk, but if you are expressing your true inner feelings and beliefs, or at least trying to express that inner child, and everyone gets pissed off about it, never NEVER apologize for it. Let them think what they want, let them define you in their narrow little minds while they suppress every last piece of them just to keep a friend that never liked them for themselves in the first place.

Old Post Jan 11th, 2018 03:17 PM
cdtm is currently offline Click here to Send cdtm a Private Message Find more posts by cdtm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm
Restricted

Account Restricted

Kurk is right.

Times have changed. Younger people across the board have worse everything then the old guard did. Higher debt, worse retirement plans, MUCH stricter standards (Some business professionals admitted they wouldn't qualify for their own job, if forced to start over.)

And corner cutting is over the top, too.. Super markets have pulled those cardboard sleeves for their hot chickens to save money (A lawsuit waiting to happen, if a kid burns themselves..), tenured professors are being replaced by low paid adjuncts, general doctors are basically sweatshop workers now (Push in as many as they can, and run around like mad)

Low paid dentist chains" aren't exactly impossible, the way things are. The only people making money are those top 1% irreplaceables workers (The high paid genius's at Google and such, who are probably UNDERPAID for their true value), investors, and business executives savvy enough (read "corrupt") to game the system.

Last edited by cdtm on Jan 11th, 2018 at 03:29 PM

Old Post Jan 11th, 2018 03:22 PM
The Ellimist
The Shadow

bump

Old Post Apr 10th, 2018 10:38 PM
The Ellimist is currently offline Click here to Send The Ellimist a Private Message Find more posts by The Ellimist Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote