KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Are you egotistical about your intelligence?

Are you egotistical about your intelligence?
Started by: The Ellimist

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (6): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
The Ellimist
The Shadow

Are you egotistical about your intelligence?

I've noticed that a lot of KMC members, particularly those who actively debate, are really enamored with their own intellects. I fall within that group, though I think I'm good at not showing it in socially inappropriate situations and mitigating any unjustified influence on my decision-making/moral judgments/etc.

What are your thoughts? Do you get that vibe from yourself and/or others here? Do you think it's a good or bad thing under which contexts?

Old Post Jan 21st, 2018 01:44 PM
The Ellimist is currently offline Click here to Send The Ellimist a Private Message Find more posts by The Ellimist Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
CroftAlice

No i don't think i'm a very inteligent person.I am a "keep it to myself"kind of person.

Old Post Jan 21st, 2018 01:51 PM
CroftAlice is currently offline Click here to Send CroftAlice a Private Message Find more posts by CroftAlice Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sin I AM
Madame Mort

quote: (post)
Originally posted by The Ellimist
I've noticed that a lot of KMC members, particularly those who actively debate, are really enamored with their own intellects. I fall within that group, though I think I'm good at not showing it in socially inappropriate situations and mitigating any unjustified influence on my decision-making/moral judgments/etc.

What are your thoughts? Do you get that vibe from yourself and/or others here? Do you think it's a good or bad thing under which contexts?

Its ok to be proud of your intelligence however, to use it to condescend or brow beat is unnecessary. Sometimes debates get heated and people r passionate about beliefs but its bad juju to flaunt your gifts

Old Post Jan 21st, 2018 01:59 PM
Sin I AM is currently offline Click here to Send Sin I AM a Private Message Find more posts by Sin I AM Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kurk
Restricted

Account Restricted

No. I am very insecure about my intelligence due to my parents not being very bright themselves. Knowing that IQ is mostly hereditary leads me on a struggle similar to Raven where I'm constantly battling my "unsophisticated animal instincts" with artificial fluid intelligence boosting methods like playing instruments, meditating, doing math problems and logic puzzles for fun, etc.

I'm a bit more confident in my crystallized intelligence due to my background in reading, but again I don't act pretentiously about it.

Don't get me wrong though. IRL I can be very arrogant and often contemplate my possession of the dark triad personality traits.

As far as other members being arrogant, yes I see it occasionally. I personally don't mind it or believe it's wrong, but you look like a fool if you are proven incorrect on something you had originally affirmed.

"Technology equals might!" "Evolve or perish"

Last edited by Kurk on Jan 21st, 2018 at 02:35 PM

Old Post Jan 21st, 2018 02:33 PM
Kurk is currently offline Click here to Send Kurk a Private Message Find more posts by Kurk Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
MythLord
Diamond

I think I'm fairly intelligent, but I don't neccessarily call myself smart so much as I note other people aren't.

"Hello, Starlight."

Old Post Jan 21st, 2018 03:01 PM
MythLord is currently offline Click here to Send MythLord a Private Message Find more posts by MythLord Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Beniboybling
Worst Member

When you have an IQ like mine... it's hard not to be.

Old Post Jan 21st, 2018 03:17 PM
Beniboybling is currently offline Click here to Send Beniboybling a Private Message Find more posts by Beniboybling Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Beniboybling
When you have an IQ like mine... it's hard not to be.

Don't let anyone ever tell you that you aren't funny Beni.

Old Post Jan 21st, 2018 03:19 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Stigma
Herald of the Judgement

Re: Are you egotistical about your intelligence?

I've noticed that a lot of KMC members, particularly those who actively debate, are really enamored with their own intellects. I fall within that group,

thumb up

Old Post Jan 21st, 2018 03:29 PM
Stigma is currently offline Click here to Send Stigma a Private Message Find more posts by Stigma Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Ellimist
The Shadow

Originally posted by Kurk
No. I am very insecure about my intelligence due to my parents not being very bright themselves. Knowing that IQ is mostly hereditary.

That's just a probabilistic thing, you could easily be an exception.

Old Post Jan 21st, 2018 04:00 PM
The Ellimist is currently offline Click here to Send The Ellimist a Private Message Find more posts by The Ellimist Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Stigma
Herald of the Judgement

Nah. Kurk is probaby in the 110-120 range max. [SPOILER - highlight to read]: just kidding, don't kill me

Old Post Jan 21st, 2018 04:02 PM
Stigma is currently offline Click here to Send Stigma a Private Message Find more posts by Stigma Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kurk
Restricted

Account Restricted

That's just a probabilistic thing, you could easily be an exception.
The only thing going for me is that I'm left-handed and possibly border-line autistic, which is problematic as much as it is an asset.

Originally posted by Stigma
Nah. Kurk is probaby in the 110-120 range max. [SPOILER - highlight to read]: just kidding, don't kill me

Sounds about right. When I was 10 or so I fell short of admission to the school for the gifted by 2 IQ points or so according to them. I would later find out that their minimum for admission was 127, so do the math and don't forget to account for my mental degradation over the years from various "psychological issues".

"Technology equals might!" "Evolve or perish"

Old Post Jan 21st, 2018 04:11 PM
Kurk is currently offline Click here to Send Kurk a Private Message Find more posts by Kurk Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Ellimist
The Shadow

and don't forget to account for my mental degradation over the years from various "psychological issues".

Very few of those issues would literally hurt general intelligence.

Anyway, a 125 would still make you really intelligent.

Old Post Jan 21st, 2018 04:13 PM
Emperordmb
LSDMB

I enjoy my intelligence a lot, but I definitely do a good job of looking down on less intelligent people and, say... considering myself part of some elite class in society for only the highest levels of thought or whatever.

Shadilay my brothers and sisters. With any luck we will throw off the shackles of normie oppression. We have nothing to lose but our chains! Praise Kek!
THE MOTTO IS "IN KEK WE TRUST"

Old Post Jan 21st, 2018 04:45 PM
Emperordmb is currently offline Click here to Send Emperordmb a Private Message Find more posts by Emperordmb Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Stigma
Herald of the Judgement

Sounds about right. When I was 10 or so I fell short of admission to the school for the gifted by 2 IQ points or so according to them. I would later find out that their minimum for admission was 127, so do the math and don't forget to account for my mental degradation over the years from various "psychological issues".

I see.

I took a glimpse at your posts and concluded as much. Still, like Elli said, IQ of 125 posits you comfortably on a very high tier intelligence-wise. Not too shabby at all thumb up

Old Post Jan 21st, 2018 05:13 PM
DarthSkywalker0
The Insane Jedi Master

Originally posted by Emperordmb
I enjoy my intelligence a lot, but I definitely do a good job of looking down on less intelligent people and, say... considering myself part of some elite class in society for only the highest levels of thought or whatever.

thumb up

Old Post Jan 21st, 2018 05:57 PM
DarthSkywalker0 is currently offline Click here to Send DarthSkywalker0 a Private Message Find more posts by DarthSkywalker0 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Emperordmb
LSDMB

HOLY SHIT LOL I FORGOT THE "NOT" IN THERE.

That changes the tone and meaning of my entire statement.

Shadilay my brothers and sisters. With any luck we will throw off the shackles of normie oppression. We have nothing to lose but our chains! Praise Kek!

Old Post Jan 21st, 2018 06:12 PM
Emperordmb is currently offline Click here to Send Emperordmb a Private Message Find more posts by Emperordmb Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Beniboybling
Worst Member

freudian slip, methinks

Old Post Jan 21st, 2018 06:15 PM
Beniboybling is currently offline Click here to Send Beniboybling a Private Message Find more posts by Beniboybling Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Emperordmb
LSDMB

nah it's not sexual enough to be a freudian slip

Old Post Jan 21st, 2018 06:16 PM
Steve Zodiac
Restricted

Account Restricted

Most of the kids here in this forum are at College (University in the UK) or High School. A few have jobs in IT, some of the others are unemployed, and a small number have been through the College system and have successful careers. To be honest, I see little if any original thought here, this is something familiar for undergraduates and kids. Lots of regurgitation of old facts and ideas they see as new because they are so young and really capable of little else. A thread here nowadays usually goes like this: has anyone seen what so and so says on youtube about (simplistic issue with a bias towards right or left) offer opinions or I've just read the blind watchmaker, let me try and pass Dawkins ideas off as my own. Or I have no life experience, but let me tell you what I think based on the political theory I'm trying out at present - to see if it fits me in later life. Hilarious and banal stuff.

Last edited by Steve Zodiac on Jan 21st, 2018 at 06:46 PM

Old Post Jan 21st, 2018 06:40 PM
Steve Zodiac is currently offline Click here to Send Steve Zodiac a Private Message Find more posts by Steve Zodiac Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Beniboybling
Worst Member

thumb up laughing

Old Post Jan 21st, 2018 06:45 PM