KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Are you egotistical about your intelligence?

Are you egotistical about your intelligence?
Started by: The Ellimist

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (6): « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Firefly218
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Steve Zodiac
Most of the kids here in this forum are at College (University in the UK) or High School. A few have jobs in IT, some of the others are unemployed, and a small number have been through the College system and have successful careers. To be honest, I see little if any original thought here, this is something familiar for undergraduates and kids. Lots of regurgitation of old facts and ideas they see as new because they are so young and really capable of little else. A thread here nowadays usually goes like this: has anyone seen what so and so says on youtube about (simplistic issue with a bias towards right or left) offer opinions or I've just read the blind watchmaker, let me try and pass Dawkins ideas off as my own. Or I have no life experience, but let me tell you what I think based on the political theory I'm trying out at present - to see if it fits me in later life. Hilarious and banal stuff.
Young people > Old prunes

Old Post Jan 21st, 2018 07:09 PM
Firefly218 is currently offline Click here to Send Firefly218 a Private Message Find more posts by Firefly218 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kurk
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by The Ellimist
Very few of those issues would literally hurt general intelligence.

Anyway, a 125 would still make you really intelligent.
They indirectly hurt by preventing mental stimulation. Nothing to stimulate the mind = loss of fluid intelligence. Studies have shown this with rats. Keep it isolated in a cage without any toys or mates and it will under-perform at various problem solving tasks when compared with rats kept together or with other mates.

I'd honesty trade 10 IQ points for a higher social-intelligence as that is what seems to determine success in this country.

Originally posted by Emperordmb
I enjoy my intelligence a lot, but I definitely do a good job of looking down on less intelligent people and, say... considering myself part of some elite class in society for only the highest levels of thought or whatever.

Ah, so like Count Dooku. I'd knew you'd come to like him some day big grin .
Most of the kids here in this forum are at College (University in the UK) or High School. A few have jobs in IT, some of the others are unemployed, and a small number have been through the College system and have successful careers. To be honest, I see little if any original thought here, this is something familiar for undergraduates and kids. Lots of regurgitation of old facts and ideas they see as new because they are so young and really capable of little else. A thread here nowadays usually goes like this: has anyone seen what so and so says on youtube about (simplistic issue with a bias towards right or left) offer opinions or I've just read the blind watchmaker, let me try and pass Dawkins ideas off as my own. Or I have no life experience, but let me tell you what I think based on the political theory I'm trying out at present - to see if it fits me in later life. Hilarious and banal stuff.

EEEEEK...you sound like my parents sick sick sick

Sadly it is true for a select few.

"Technology equals might!" "Evolve or perish"

Old Post Jan 21st, 2018 08:23 PM
Kurk is currently offline Click here to Send Kurk a Private Message Find more posts by Kurk Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sin I AM
Madame Mort

Nice. Good post

Old Post Jan 21st, 2018 08:40 PM
Sin I AM is currently offline Click here to Send Sin I AM a Private Message Find more posts by Sin I AM Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NewGuy01
perpetual

Originally posted by MythLord
I don't necessarily think myself smart so much as I notice other people aren't.

Old Post Jan 21st, 2018 08:42 PM
NewGuy01 is currently offline Click here to Send NewGuy01 a Private Message Find more posts by NewGuy01 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm

No.

One tends to take for granted the things they have.

Never let anyone else define you. Don't be a jerk just to be a jerk, but if you are expressing your true inner feelings and beliefs, or at least trying to express that inner child, and everyone gets pissed off about it, never NEVER apologize for it. Let them think what they want, let them define you in their narrow little minds while they suppress every last piece of them just to keep a friend that never liked them for themselves in the first place.

Old Post Jan 21st, 2018 09:46 PM
cdtm is currently offline Click here to Send cdtm a Private Message Find more posts by cdtm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm

Very few of those issues would literally hurt general intelligence.

Anyway, a 125 would still make you really intelligent.

Not according to Priest, if he means what he wrote in Deathstroke: "I have an IQ of 150. That means in a room with 10 people, I'll be smarter then 7 1/4 of them."

How many less at only 125? stick out tongue

Never let anyone else define you. Don't be a jerk just to be a jerk, but if you are expressing your true inner feelings and beliefs, or at least trying to express that inner child, and everyone gets pissed off about it, never NEVER apologize for it. Let them think what they want, let them define you in their narrow little minds while they suppress every last piece of them just to keep a friend that never liked them for themselves in the first place.

Old Post Jan 21st, 2018 09:48 PM
cdtm is currently offline Click here to Send cdtm a Private Message Find more posts by cdtm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Emperordmb
LSDMB

Originally posted by Kurk
Ah, so like Count Dooku. I'd knew you'd come to like him some day big grin .

Meant to say I do a good job not doing that shit

Shadilay my brothers and sisters. With any luck we will throw off the shackles of normie oppression. We have nothing to lose but our chains! Praise Kek!
THE MOTTO IS "IN KEK WE TRUST"

Old Post Jan 21st, 2018 10:22 PM
Emperordmb is currently offline Click here to Send Emperordmb a Private Message Find more posts by Emperordmb Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ILS
Restricted

Account Restricted

I enjoy my intelligence a lot, but I definitely do a good job of looking down on less intelligent people and, say... considering myself part of some elite class in society for only the highest levels of thought or whatever.
thumb up

“The galaxy must experience the pain of death and the rapture of rebirth as I have. I will bring chaos. It is time for war.

Old Post Jan 21st, 2018 10:51 PM
ILS is currently offline Click here to Send ILS a Private Message Find more posts by ILS Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ILS
Restricted

Account Restricted

You are one boring motherf*cker dude.

“The galaxy must experience the pain of death and the rapture of rebirth as I have. I will bring chaos. It is time for war.

Old Post Jan 21st, 2018 10:59 PM
ILS is currently offline Click here to Send ILS a Private Message Find more posts by ILS Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Stigma
Herald of the Judgement

I'd honesty trade 10 IQ points for a higher social-intelligence as that is what seems to determine success in this country.

This is an interesting point, given that there seems to be some kind of correlation between high IQ and debilitated social sophistication.

Being socially suave definitely helps out, makes a more fulfilling relationships possible, and even may boost one's career because people tend to gravitate towards those who are perceived as a life of the party, so to speak.

Meant to say I do a good job not doing that shit

Sure smile

Last edited by Stigma on Jan 22nd, 2018 at 10:25 AM

Old Post Jan 22nd, 2018 10:23 AM
Stigma is currently offline Click here to Send Stigma a Private Message Find more posts by Stigma Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bentley
Seitei

Intelligence is but a tool, when I was younger I valued it as if it was some sort of blessing but over the years I've nuanced its meaning for me and for others. As any tool, the way you employ your intelligence will be linked to your needs and opportunities, estimulation is very important to keep yourself sharp.

If you are not challenging yourself and fundamentally believes others won't challenge you, then there is nothing to be egotistical about in your smartness.

My respect threads:Kang the Conqueror, Ultron, Devil Dinosaur, Michael Korvac
Captain America for High Street

Old Post Jan 22nd, 2018 10:40 AM
Bentley is currently offline Click here to Send Bentley a Private Message Find more posts by Bentley Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

^ Bingo

You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Old Post Jan 22nd, 2018 04:56 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

Originally posted by MythLord
I think I'm fairly intelligent, but I don't neccessarily call myself smart so much as I note other people aren't.

^ Second best post in here

You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Old Post Jan 22nd, 2018 04:57 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Steve Zodiac
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by ILS
You are one boring motherf*cker dude.
That's not what yo momma said when she was sniffing Amyl nitrate and letting me fist her with both hands wrist deep. She wasn't bored.

Old Post Jan 22nd, 2018 08:25 PM
Steve Zodiac is currently offline Click here to Send Steve Zodiac a Private Message Find more posts by Steve Zodiac Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Steve Zodiac
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Robtard
^ Bingo
Thing is Rob, I have a few University bits of paper as Bardock can verify which say I am book smart and I have a decent end of career senior management job. Do I think many people are smarter than me? Clearly, Because many people are. Were many more people smarter than me when I was at College? Clearly, because I had experienced almost nothing and book smarts was all I had. To believe yourself to be the smartest man in the room is always an error and one everyone from Machiavelli to San Soo warns against. Also believing someone else to be stupid is an error I learnt from watching Columbo.

Last edited by Steve Zodiac on Jan 22nd, 2018 at 08:32 PM

Old Post Jan 22nd, 2018 08:29 PM
Steve Zodiac is currently offline Click here to Send Steve Zodiac a Private Message Find more posts by Steve Zodiac Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kurk
Restricted

Account Restricted

Thing is Rob, I have a few University bits of paper as Bardock can verify which say I am book smart and I have a decent end of career senior management job. Do I think many people are smarter than me? Clearly, Because many people are. Were many more people smarter than me when I was at College? Clearly, because I had experienced almost nothing and book smarts was all I had. To believe yourself to be the smartest man in the room is always an error and one everyone from Machiavelli to San Soo warns against. Also believing someone else to be stupid is an error I learnt from watching Columbo.
What's an old geezer like yourself doing on these forums anyway?

"Technology equals might!" "Evolve or perish"

Old Post Jan 22nd, 2018 08:33 PM
Kurk is currently offline Click here to Send Kurk a Private Message Find more posts by Kurk Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Steve Zodiac
Restricted

Account Restricted

What's an old geezer like yourself doing on these forums anyway?
Usually trolling, I used to do it when I wasn't an old geezer on these forums more than a decade ago.

Old Post Jan 22nd, 2018 08:34 PM
The Ellimist
The Shadow

tbh I can tell why you notice that lots of people are smarter than you smile

Old Post Jan 22nd, 2018 08:44 PM
The Ellimist is currently offline Click here to Send The Ellimist a Private Message Find more posts by The Ellimist Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Steve Zodiac
Restricted

Account Restricted

tbh I can tell why you notice that lots of people are smarter than you smile
Triggered aren't you kid. Remember these are the best friends you will ever have. wink

Last edited by Steve Zodiac on Jan 22nd, 2018 at 08:48 PM

Old Post Jan 22nd, 2018 08:45 PM
The Ellimist
The Shadow

Triggered aren't you kid. Remember these are the best friends you will ever have. wink

lol

Your warnings about intellectual egotism aren't invalid, you just seem really obsessive over boasting about your age in almost every thread I see you in, and your articulation is often rather incoherent (what does Dawkin's The Blind Watchmaker book have to do with real life experience again?).

Old Post Jan 22nd, 2018 09:12 PM
The Ellimist is currently offline Click here to Send The Ellimist a Private Message Find more posts by The Ellimist Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote