KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Cape Town running out of water.

Cape Town running out of water.
Started by: Nephthys

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Nephthys
The Gr8est!!!!!!!!

Cape Town running out of water.

Cape Town is set to become the first major world city to run out of water.

quote:
South Africa’s second-largest city is set to become the first major world hub to exhaust its water supply, once its reservoirs dry up in mid-to-late April. At least 4 million people will run out of water when that happens.

Residents of Cape Town are facing an increasingly dire situation: in less than three months, they will need to stand in line to receive individual allotments of water. At present, those living in the city have been asked to limit themselves to 87 liters of water per day, or 23 gallons. On February 1, that number will drop to 50 liters (13 gallons). For context, the average American uses around 100 gallons of water per day — more than seven times what Capetonians will be asked to use.

Plans for “Day Zero” — the day when taps will run dry — are even more strict, with each person limited to 6.6 gallons of water. Police and other officials will be on hand to direct crowds and contain anticipated protests and backlash. For many in Cape Town, the logistics could grow impossibly complicated, with officials expecting insufficient water for toilets, and some residents — including the very young, elderly, and disabled — unable to physically wait in line before carting gallons of water back to their homes.

Looks like South Africa is facing a slow motion disaster. This predicament is going to likely becoming more and more common in the future, this first taste will set the benchmark for the response to it.

Thoughts?

Old Post Jan 27th, 2018 03:29 PM
Nephthys is currently offline Click here to Send Nephthys a Private Message Find more posts by Nephthys Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
lazybones

Yeah, I saw this. What's more disturbing is that criminal gangs are trying to gather and hoard water from wherever they can get their hands on it with the intention to price-gouge residents for their illegal operations.

quote:
A spring used by a brewery in the Newlands area of the city has become a popular place for citizens - and organised gangs - to get additional water.

"It's clear that the guys turning up in vans full of 25-litre containers are not doing it for their 'personal use', " said Mr Bowden.

"For enterprising gangs this is South Africa’s bitcoin. They know the value of stored fresh drinking water will soar in coming weeks and getting thousands of litres of it now for free is likely to be extremely profitable."

http://www.independent.co.uk/travel...a-a8175686.html

Old Post Jan 27th, 2018 10:34 PM
lazybones is currently offline Click here to Send lazybones a Private Message Find more posts by lazybones Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tzeentch
#gottem

Climate change is a myth fabricated by liberals to expand government oversight and tax the wealthy.

"The Daemon lied with every breath. It could not help itself but to deceive and dismay, to riddle and ruin. The more we conversed, the closer I drew to one singularly ineluctable fact: I would gain no wisdom here."

Old Post Jan 27th, 2018 10:42 PM
Tzeentch is currently offline Click here to Send Tzeentch a Private Message Find more posts by Tzeentch Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ArtificialGlory
God-Emperor of Eternity

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Tzeentch
Climate change is a myth fabricated by liberals to expand government oversight and tax the wealthy.

You can "tax" the "water" right out of my bladder!

Old Post Jan 27th, 2018 10:48 PM
ArtificialGlory is currently offline Click here to Send ArtificialGlory a Private Message Find more posts by ArtificialGlory Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Flyattractor

You would enjoy the taste of your own piss.

Old Post Jan 27th, 2018 11:22 PM
Flyattractor is currently offline Click here to Send Flyattractor a Private Message Find more posts by Flyattractor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Firefly218
Restricted

Account Restricted

Coming to America soon

Old Post Jan 28th, 2018 12:20 AM
Firefly218 is currently offline Click here to Send Firefly218 a Private Message Find more posts by Firefly218 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Flyattractor

Yeah because DROUGHT has NEVER Happened in the History of the WORLD before!

EVER!!!!!!

Old Post Jan 28th, 2018 12:55 AM
Flyattractor is currently offline Click here to Send Flyattractor a Private Message Find more posts by Flyattractor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dreampanther
We all face the reaper.

It's all part of my plan. As soon as esCape Town runs out of water and all the rich foreigners bugger off I'm moving down to one of those multi-million dollar mansions on the beach with my dogs and my water that I've carefully been hoarding up here on the Highveld. All hail Lex Luthor who gave me the idea. Mwhua ha ha ha!

May all your dreams come true - except for one.

Old Post Jan 28th, 2018 09:32 AM
Dreampanther is currently offline Click here to Send Dreampanther a Private Message Find more posts by Dreampanther Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Flyattractor

Do you have to wear a hat to keep your head from burning ?

Old Post Jan 28th, 2018 09:57 AM
Dreampanther
We all face the reaper.

Originally posted by Flyattractor
Do you have to wear a hat to keep your head from burning ?

This is Africa. The sun is not your friend.

Old Post Jan 28th, 2018 10:03 AM
Dreampanther is currently offline Click here to Send Dreampanther a Private Message Find more posts by Dreampanther Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Flyattractor

Gee? It gets HOT in Africa? Could that have anything to do with its Water probs????

Nah. All Climte Change I am sure.

Old Post Jan 28th, 2018 10:11 AM
Dreampanther
We all face the reaper.

Gee? It gets HOT in Africa? Could that have anything to do with its Water probs????

Nah. All Climte Change I am sure.

Nothing to do with weather. Ineffective and corrupt government.

Old Post Jan 28th, 2018 10:18 AM
Flyattractor

Africa does seem to have more then its fair share of those things too.

Old Post Jan 28th, 2018 10:27 AM
Dreampanther
We all face the reaper.

Africa does seem to have more then its fair share of those things too.

No lies. Getting Zuma as President after Mandela was like taking a step back into the Dark Ages.

Old Post Jan 28th, 2018 10:34 AM
Flyattractor

Originally posted by Dreampanther
No lies. Getting Zuma as President after Mandela was like taking a step back into the Dark Ages.

But still not a "Shit Hole' right?!

Old Post Jan 28th, 2018 10:45 AM
Dreampanther
We all face the reaper.

But still not a "Shit Hole' right?!

Depends who you ask wink

I was born here and I love it here. Many people leave and then spend hours every week writing about how much they miss home, which gets annoying. Life isn't always easy or fair but then, 'Africa isn't for sissies', as the saying goes.

When you live here you either love it or hate it, that's for sure.

Old Post Jan 28th, 2018 10:59 AM
Flyattractor

OH I know how that works. I live in one of those Places well.

Old Post Jan 28th, 2018 11:08 AM
Dreampanther
We all face the reaper.

OH I know how that works. I live in one of those Places well.

Oh? Where do you live?

Old Post Jan 28th, 2018 11:23 AM
shiv
Spirit of Tengu

Dream Panther

Beware

The Hero Who Stalks

#The Ghost Who Walks

Old Post Jan 28th, 2018 12:14 PM
shiv is currently offline Click here to Send shiv a Private Message Find more posts by shiv Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dreampanther
We all face the reaper.

Originally posted by shiv
Dream Panther

Beware

The Hero Who Stalks

#The Ghost Who Walks

Man, I loved The Ghost Who Walks growing up.

(please log in to view the image)

Old Post Jan 28th, 2018 12:24 PM