KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Computer / Video Games Discussion » Dragon Age 4

Dragon Age 4
Started by: emporerpants

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): « 1 [2] 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
quanchi112
True Sith

quote: (post)
Originally posted by BackFire
Missing out. Witcher 3 is game of the generation imo.
I purchased it when it came out. I'll buy all the dlc once I get around to it. I know it's great but I also know once I go in I'm not coming out for a while.

Old Post Jan 30th, 2018 01:55 PM
quanchi112 is currently offline Click here to Send quanchi112 a Private Message Find more posts by quanchi112 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

Yes, it's a larger game, especially if you play a lot of Gwent.

Old Post Jan 30th, 2018 02:22 PM
Smasandian is currently offline Click here to Send Smasandian a Private Message Find more posts by Smasandian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
quanchi112
True Sith

Originally posted by Smasandian
Yes, it's a larger game, especially if you play a lot of Gwent.
What is strange is that I didn't play through Witcher 2 initially. I tried got 1/6 through and lost interest. Came back a year later started over and finished it twice in a row from scratch. It looks like the same thing is going to happen to Witcher 3 because I didn't play it long enough to get obsessed so I'll have to start it from scratch again.

Old Post Jan 30th, 2018 02:29 PM
quanchi112 is currently offline Click here to Send quanchi112 a Private Message Find more posts by quanchi112 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

Witcher 3 starts working really well once you get past the first area (even though that area is pretty damn awesome for a prologue).

I'm replaying it right now and I wish I could play this without knowing about it....it's a great game.

Old Post Jan 30th, 2018 03:22 PM
Smasandian is currently offline Click here to Send Smasandian a Private Message Find more posts by Smasandian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
emporerpants

Originally posted by quanchi112
I always go through the game twice at least. First time is a noble warrior wielding the heavier two armed weapons. The second time is a Mage who is extremely selfish more akin to my real life persona.

I loved Loghain from the first game. Same voice actor from one of my favorite video game characters in Kain from the Legacy of Kain games. The first game blew my mind.

Solas is compassionate and not selfish which is what makes him so damn interesting to me. He's an anomaly for what I like but he does have the insane power thing going for him.

I am glad by the end of the third we have a villain outside the darkspawn. They are great but how much farther can you go there. Sure I want more darkspawn but I'm good without them being the main villains again.

No series comes close to the lore from Dragon Age. Witcher 2 was awesome but it's vastly different which I like but definitely prefer the lore For Dragon Age as opposed to the game of thrones adult oriented content of that series.

Ha, I pretty much do the same thing. I do my first playthrough as my noble swordsman, which is my "canon" playthrough, and then I play through again as an evil mage. One of the things I like about origins, jade empire, kotor, etc. is that bioware gave you the freedom to be an evil prick if you wanted. I always enjoyed playing through twice to see how things changed. In recent bioware games though they seem to be getting away from that kind of freedom, which I think is sad. Not much really changes based on your choices in DA:I. You could be a jerk, but not really a truly evil dude. I enjoy the freedom to do either.

Old Post Jan 30th, 2018 07:43 PM
emporerpants is currently offline Click here to Send emporerpants a Private Message Find more posts by emporerpants Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
emporerpants

This may also sound weird, but you know what I really liked in origins? The camp. I just loved talking to my companions by the fire, and I felt the atmosphere at camp was amazing. I really felt like I was part of an adventuring group out to save the world. Origins just knocked the atmosphere out of the park in general imo.

Old Post Jan 30th, 2018 08:49 PM
emporerpants is currently offline Click here to Send emporerpants a Private Message Find more posts by emporerpants Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-

Originally posted by emporerpants
This may also sound weird, but you know what I really liked in origins? The camp. I just loved talking to my companions by the fire, and I felt the atmosphere at camp was amazing. I really felt like I was part of an adventuring group out to save the world. Origins just knocked the atmosphere out of the park in general imo.

It really did.

It's an amazing game. Easily my favourite of the last decade.

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured... the first thought forbidden... the first freedom denied chains us all irrevocably."

Old Post Jan 30th, 2018 09:11 PM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
emporerpants

Indeed. It was a good time to be a bioware fan, cuz not long after origins, Mass Effect 2 came out. So I went right from playing the shit out of origins to playing the shit out of Mass Effect 2. Those were the days man.

Old Post Jan 30th, 2018 09:26 PM
emporerpants

So, if you could have one thing guaranteed in Dragon Age 4, what would it be? It can be a story element, game mechanic, combat system, character, etc. If you could only pick one and have it in the game for sure, what would it be?

Old Post Jan 31st, 2018 03:40 PM
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

Easily, less maps with more memorable areas/quests. I don't like the paint by numbers quests Dragon Age 3 had. The main story was interesting but everything else was weaker.

Old Post Jan 31st, 2018 05:05 PM
quanchi112
True Sith

Ha, I pretty much do the same thing. I do my first playthrough as my noble swordsman, which is my "canon" playthrough, and then I play through again as an evil mage. One of the things I like about origins, jade empire, kotor, etc. is that bioware gave you the freedom to be an evil prick if you wanted. I always enjoyed playing through twice to see how things changed. In recent bioware games though they seem to be getting away from that kind of freedom, which I think is sad. Not much really changes based on your choices in DA:I. You could be a jerk, but not really a truly evil dude. I enjoy the freedom to do either.
How can you play this game so similarly to myself and champion superman. Anyways, yes I agree the first game probably had a lot more time in developing it then the sequels so I'd gather that's the reason why.

As I previously said there won't ever be an experience that rivals my first play through of Origins. I just know they can come close to the sun again like certain parts of Inquisition the Solas dlc especially the ending of it which IMO is the true ending to the game.

Old Post Feb 1st, 2018 09:29 PM
quanchi112
True Sith

Yes, you truly felt by the end of the main quest in origins you went on this adventure with them. It was surreal hence my utter devotion to this series even if they don't come close to recreating that sense of connection to a fantasy game.

Old Post Feb 1st, 2018 09:31 PM
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

quanchi, just curious, have you ever played the Mass Effect games?

Old Post Feb 1st, 2018 09:32 PM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
quanchi112
True Sith

quanchi, just curious, have you ever played the Mass Effect games?
Never.

Old Post Feb 1st, 2018 11:28 PM
BackFire

That's surprising. You should try them, similar to the DA games in a lot of ways. Great stuff.

Old Post Feb 1st, 2018 11:34 PM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
quanchi112
True Sith

That's surprising. You should try them, similar to the DA games in a lot of ways. Great stuff.
I am more into medieval sorcery with these types of games. Sci Fi is great in a movie setting for me but when it comes to these quest like games medieval, fantasy setting is what I love. Witcher 3 after god of war. I don't game enough to devote the time but I do suspect I would like the games if I gave them a chance.

Old Post Feb 1st, 2018 11:39 PM
BackFire

I think you would, especially if you like Star Trek and Star Wars, those were the main inspirations for Mass Effect and it's pretty obvious.

I'm like you, I prefer Medieval fantasy over Sci Fi usually, but the Mass Effect series grabbed me in a way no other game series ever had. If you ever have the time or get the chance, I think you should definitely give them a go.

Old Post Feb 1st, 2018 11:45 PM
-Pr-

So, if you could have one thing guaranteed in Dragon Age 4, what would it be? It can be a story element, game mechanic, combat system, character, etc. If you could only pick one and have it in the game for sure, what would it be?

Just one? Ha.

-Less MMO shite.
-Darker tone.
-Play my Warden again.
-Better writing.
-Less annoying companions. Seriously, **** off Sera.
-Proper tactical combat.
-Bring back the (imo) superior magic trees from the first two games.
-Less ****ing with the lore.

etc, etc.

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured... the first thought forbidden... the first freedom denied chains us all irrevocably."

Old Post Feb 2nd, 2018 12:03 AM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
quanchi112
True Sith

I think you would, especially if you like Star Trek and Star Wars, those were the main inspirations for Mass Effect and it's pretty obvious.

I'm like you, I prefer Medieval fantasy over Sci Fi usually, but the Mass Effect series grabbed me in a way no other game series ever had. If you ever have the time or get the chance, I think you should definitely give them a go.
I have been on record to make this claim. I would take the experience of Dragon Age Origins over a relationship with a woman. It was that amazing. But maybe one day I'll get around to it but right now when I do go knee deep into a video game these two already called shotgun.

Old Post Feb 2nd, 2018 02:11 AM
John Murdoch

Dragon Age: Origins might be the most immersed I've ever been with a video game world. It was Lord of the Rings Trilogy for video games

Loved Dragon Age 2 as well, but it's a B/maybe B+ to DA:O's A+.

Haven't been able to get into Inquisition, as I got it on PlayStation Store for like $11...on the PS3. The last gen version (all 10 minutes I played of it) was pretty horrible. Imagine getting through Fellowship of the Ring and Two Towers, only to find out Return of the King was filmed in VHS-quality resolution and the "TRACKING" lines and static popped up every cut. Very disappointing.

Such a disappointment brought me to Mass Effect, and it's been a blast.

Old Post Feb 3rd, 2018 12:35 AM
John Murdoch is currently offline Click here to Send John Murdoch a Private Message Find more posts by John Murdoch Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote