KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movies » Movie Discussion » Movie Versus Forum » Garfield spider-man vs Tobey spider-man

Garfield spider-man vs Tobey spider-man
Started by: steverules_2

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
steverules_2

Garfield spider-man vs Tobey spider-man

Okay so this isn’t spidey vs spidey, this is them swapping. Amazing spider-man gets put in spidey films and has to take on those villains. Tobey spider-man has to take on the amazing spider-man villains. They’re taking them on in each separate film so it’s not all at the same time so there is rest between each film save for the last fight where Green Goblin was straight after Electro.

So Garfield takes on:
Green Goblin
Doc Ock
Green Goblin Harry (1st fight)
Green Goblin Harry (2nd fight, two scenarios one with the symbiote and one without)
Venom and Sandman (Harry does turn up if Garfield survives long enough)

Tobey takes on:
Lizard
Electro Times Square
Electro at the power plant (Gwen does turn up to flip the switch if Tobey survives long enough)
Harry Green Goblin (could Tobey save Gwen)
Rhino (even though we didn’t see the fight I’m throwing him in here)

I'm Bada's pimp

I created Raptor Bada, Donald, and Sparkles

Old Post Feb 4th, 2018 11:23 AM
steverules_2 is currently offline Click here to Send steverules_2 a Private Message Find more posts by steverules_2 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Tobey Spidey wins. IMO he's stronger than the Garfield version, so I'd think anyone Garfield could take down he could as well.

Garfield, on the other hand, is screwed because he has no way to deal with Sandman.

Old Post Feb 4th, 2018 10:19 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BruceSkywalker
The BatLord of the Jedi

Spidey wins lol

THE TRIAL NEVER ENDS...thanks steve

Old Post Feb 4th, 2018 10:20 PM
BruceSkywalker is currently offline Click here to Send BruceSkywalker a Private Message Find more posts by BruceSkywalker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
KingD19
Shai-Gen's Enigmatic Wong

If roles are swapped, Garfield Spidey does a whole lot better. He's several times faster than Tobey, and strong/tough enough to go through most if not all of what he did. The key difference is Garfield Spidey is an actual genius, while Tobey Spidey was just a photographer.

Old Post Feb 4th, 2018 10:30 PM
KingD19 is currently offline Click here to Send KingD19 a Private Message Find more posts by KingD19 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote: (post)
Originally posted by KingD19
If roles are swapped, Garfield Spidey does a whole lot better. He's several times faster than Tobey, and strong/tough enough to go through most if not all of what he did. The key difference is Garfield Spidey is an actual genius, while Tobey Spidey was just a photographer.

This just isn't correct. Tobey was portrayed as very smart. Remember his interactions with Doc Ock(before he turned evil)?

And Garfield has no way to deal with Sandman.

Old Post Feb 4th, 2018 10:34 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
KingD19
Shai-Gen's Enigmatic Wong

Originally posted by Surtur
This just isn't correct. Tobey was portrayed as very smart. Remember his interactions with Doc Ock(before he turned evil)?

And Garfield has no way to deal with Sandman.

I completely forgot he actually had some scientific exploits. It wasn't shown all that much aside from the second movie was it?

He can deal with Sandman the same way Tobey did, unless it's not the exact same fight parameters.

Old Post Feb 4th, 2018 11:06 PM
KingD19 is currently offline Click here to Send KingD19 a Private Message Find more posts by KingD19 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Arachnid1

I actually agree with this. Garfield may be the weakest Spidey but he's still the fastest and most agile by a large margin. Tobey's villains will have a hard time tagging him, and he can wear them down with the exception of Sandman. If ANY of Tobeys villains do get their hands on Garfield though, he's in for a world of hurt. Garfield was also far smarter than Tobey so he should be able to outsmart Sandman in the same situation if Tobey could. Tobey's not an idiot, but he rarely used smarts in his fights.

Tobey, on the other hand, cant really do anything to Electro. I cant see him coming up with the entire power grid idea to overload him, so Electro would probably kill him.

Strength wise he's probably a bit more even with Lizard so I don't see him getting stomped as hard as Garfield did, but those claws can do some damage if they connect and the Lizard was fast enough to keep up with Garfield so he's got that going for him. I don't think either of them can really beat Lizard, but both probably manage to at least survive the encounters and the movie.

As for the two Harry Goblins, Tobey's Harry was actually a lot more maneuverable, stronger, and durable. Garfields Harry did as well as he did because it was close quarters so he had easy access to Garfield who was always just a few feet away, but he got KOed relatively easily. Close quarters with Tobey's Spidey, who is way stronger than Garfield would be a disadvantage for him, so Tobey would probably knock him out. Garfield may be able to outsmart Tobeys Harry similar to how Tobey did too. He's in a more open area which is probably more of an advantage for Garfield since it lets him utilize his speed and agility more. His speed also gives him the win here.

As for Norman Goblin, I don't think Garfield does as well here. Norman tended to utilize the civilians around him to lure Spidey into traps and leave him in vulnerable situations. Take the cable car/MJ predicament that left Tobey completely open to his beating for example. Take away Garfield's speed and maneuverability, and he gets beat to high heaven, and he cant take it the way Tobey could. IF Garfield can make it to the 1v1 encounter at the very end, he may be able to take it through speed alone, but I don't see him getting there.

Ock, on the other hand, is screwed. He had a hard time really catching Tobey Spidey. A faster and more agile Spidey would beat him relatively easily.

Lastly, you have the Sandman/Venom fight, which once again forces Spidey to interact with them. If Garfield was allowed to just dodge around the entire fight, he'd be able to survive, but Venom has MJ so Garfield has to close the gap. If either Venom or Sandman get their hands or webs on him, it's over. I don't think he survives here.

tl:dr
Neither really beat Lizard IMO but both manage to survive their encounters and movies.

Garfield loses to Norman Goblin, but beats Ock, Harry, and solo Sandman with the whole pressure pipe idea. He loses to Venom and Sandman together though, since I doubt he survives to Harry getting there.

Tobey loses to Electro but beats the hell out of Harry Goblin. Conisdering this all happens in a sequence though, he never makes it to the Harry Goblin encounter. I suppose that also applies to Garfield and Norman though.

PWNT

Last edited by Arachnid1 on Feb 4th, 2018 at 11:13 PM

Old Post Feb 4th, 2018 11:08 PM
Arachnid1 is currently offline Click here to Send Arachnid1 a Private Message Find more posts by Arachnid1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

I completely forgot he actually had some scientific exploits. It wasn't shown all that much aside from the second movie was it?

In the first movie it talks about him winning some prestigious science award too.

quote:
He can deal with Sandman the same way Tobey did, unless it's not the exact same fight parameters.

If it's the same place where the Venom and Sandman showdown took place then Garfield has no chance. Tobey beat Sandman when he was in a sewer and could get him in the water. In the final battle at the end of the movie Tobey didn't defeat Sandman. Rather their personal connection(Sandman killed Uncle Ben) ended up causing Sandman to just willingly leave.

Old Post Feb 4th, 2018 11:12 PM
steverules_2

I’m sure there was mention of a deleted scene where his daughter makes sandman stop or something along those lines

I'm Bada's pimp

Old Post Feb 4th, 2018 11:22 PM
steverules_2 is currently offline Click here to Send steverules_2 a Private Message Find more posts by steverules_2 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
John Murdoch

Originally posted by Arachnid1
I actually agree with this. Garfield may be the weakest Spidey but he's still the fastest and most agile by a large margin. Tobey's villains will have a hard time tagging him, and he can wear them down with the exception of Sandman. If ANY of Tobeys villains do get their hands on Garfield though, he's in for a world of hurt. Garfield was also far smarter than Tobey so he should be able to outsmart Sandman in the same situation if Tobey could. Tobey's not an idiot, but he rarely used smarts in his fights.

Tobey, on the other hand, cant really do anything to Electro. I cant see him coming up with the entire power grid idea to overload him, so Electro would probably kill him.

Strength wise he's probably a bit more even with Lizard so I don't see him getting stomped as hard as Garfield did, but those claws can do some damage if they connect and the Lizard was fast enough to keep up with Garfield so he's got that going for him. I don't think either of them can really beat Lizard, but both probably manage to at least survive the encounters and the movie.

As for the two Harry Goblins, Tobey's Harry was actually a lot more maneuverable, stronger, and durable. Garfields Harry did as well as he did because it was close quarters so he had easy access to Garfield who was always just a few feet away, but he got KOed relatively easily. Close quarters with Tobey's Spidey, who is way stronger than Garfield would be a disadvantage for him, so Tobey would probably knock him out. Garfield may be able to outsmart Tobeys Harry similar to how Tobey did too. He's in a more open area which is probably more of an advantage for Garfield since it lets him utilize his speed and agility more. His speed also gives him the win here.

As for Norman Goblin, I don't think Garfield does as well here. Norman tended to utilize the civilians around him to lure Spidey into traps and leave him in vulnerable situations. Take the cable car/MJ predicament that left Tobey completely open to his beating for example. Take away Garfield's speed and maneuverability, and he gets beat to high heaven, and he cant take it the way Tobey could. IF Garfield can make it to the 1v1 encounter at the very end, he may be able to take it through speed alone, but I don't see him getting there.

Ock, on the other hand, is screwed. He had a hard time really catching Tobey Spidey. A faster and more agile Spidey would beat him relatively easily.

Lastly, you have the Sandman/Venom fight, which once again forces Spidey to interact with them. If Garfield was allowed to just dodge around the entire fight, he'd be able to survive, but Venom has MJ so Garfield has to close the gap. If either Venom or Sandman get their hands or webs on him, it's over. I don't think he survives here.

tl:dr
Neither really beat Lizard IMO but both manage to survive their encounters and movies.

Garfield loses to Norman Goblin, but beats Ock, Harry, and solo Sandman with the whole pressure pipe idea. He loses to Venom and Sandman together though, since I doubt he survives to Harry getting there.

Tobey loses to Electro but beats the hell out of Harry Goblin. Conisdering this all happens in a sequence though, he never makes it to the Harry Goblin encounter. I suppose that also applies to Garfield and Norman though.

thumb up Agreed.

The instances Maguire used his durability and/or strength to win the day, Garfield gets beat. Though he has the car catch feat from ASM1 under his belt, Tobey (and Holland) have him in brute strength, and Tobey dominates in the durability department. Garfield, however, not only possessed really high end superhuman reactions, agility, and speed, but also used these talents with his web shooters. The fight with Lizard in ASM1 at the high school is mainly what I'm talking about : webbing Lizard up from multiple angles vs just webbing him up or shooting a webline right at him. How would Green Goblin fair vs getting 50 weblines anchored to varying points in the run-down building of SM1's finale?

The instances Garfield used his uber-agility and almost-speedster level speed to win the day, Maguire has more wiggle room, but most likely still gets beat. Maguire had some insane agility and reaction feats (high school slow-motion fight against Flash in SM1, swinging through the train cars at the beginning of SM2, and diving through the falling crane to catch Gwen in SM3), which could save him vs Lizard and Electro. Tobey also was able to hit Sandman with water and figure out how to use what looked like steel pipes to create a sound container to separate the symbiote from Eddie Brock (steel pipes that he threw into concrete), both occurring in 3. However, if Tobey does his "swing into action, start fighting head-on" tactic, Lizard slashes him up and down. Also, some people are getting fried by Electro in the Times Square battle in ASM2, and I don't see Tobey getting through the Pharrell music-powered grid vs Electro in the finale.

Great thread, steverules.

Old Post Feb 4th, 2018 11:59 PM
John Murdoch is currently offline Click here to Send John Murdoch a Private Message Find more posts by John Murdoch Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
h1a8

Speed is king.
I love Toby the best but logic says that Garfield does the best.
Toby is almost as fast. There were a few scenes where bullets were moving very slowly. Also the flies wings were flapping hundreds if not thousands of times slower.

-General Zod: Superman II

Old Post Feb 5th, 2018 05:43 PM
h1a8 is currently offline Click here to Send h1a8 a Private Message Find more posts by h1a8 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
John Murdoch

Originally posted by h1a8
Speed is king.
I love Toby the best but logic says that Garfield does the best.
Toby is almost as fast. There were a few scenes where bullets were moving very slowly. Also the flies wings were flapping hundreds if not thousands of times slower.

Yep yep yep.

The main issue I see with Tobey's clearing this is that, while he has the slo-mo scenes and the dodging bank vault doors while saving Aunt May scenes and the getting pummeled by Sandman against a steel beam scenes, he has instances where he punches people like the thugs assaulting MJ in SM1 in the alley and the bouncers at the jazz club in SM3 and doesn't take their heads clean off. Very action hero up-and-down performance stuff.

EDIT: Sentence structure.

Old Post Feb 5th, 2018 06:39 PM
John Murdoch is currently offline Click here to Send John Murdoch a Private Message Find more posts by John Murdoch Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
steverules_2

Anyone think he could’ve saved Gwen?

I'm Bada's pimp

Old Post Feb 6th, 2018 11:54 AM
John Murdoch

Originally posted by steverules_2
Anyone think he could’ve saved Gwen?

I'd say yes, especially rage mode/superfocused Tobey.

Also, Tobey Spidey is one to go head-on close-quarters against his opponents, so I'm thinking Dane Dehaan would be more in Tobey's wheelhouse than Tobey giving up the advantage to him in the clock tower.

Old Post Feb 10th, 2018 12:40 AM