KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Will a third party ever be viable in the states?

Will a third party ever be viable in the states?
Started by: cdtm

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): « 1 [2]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Bashar Teg
Senior Mentat

quote: (post)
Originally posted by snowdragon
I am relaxed, I'm not offended. Your goal is to troll and it's slightly amusing. Especially after a concession and you still try............. laughing
ah good, then we are both amused presently.

Your Lord knows very well what is in your heart. Your soul suffices this day as a reckoner against you. I need no witnesses. You do not listen to your soul, but listen instead to your anger and your rage.

Old Post Feb 7th, 2018 06:49 AM
Bashar Teg is currently offline Click here to Send Bashar Teg a Private Message Find more posts by Bashar Teg Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
snowdragon

Originally posted by Bashar Teg
there's also the risk of deluding your voter base against a solidified right or left.

I agree with this, it's not like we have a right and wrong. We just have a program in place that makes it easy to support a side rather than policy.

Old Post Feb 7th, 2018 06:52 AM
snowdragon is currently offline Click here to Send snowdragon a Private Message Find more posts by snowdragon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sin I AM
Madame Mort

there's also the risk of deluding your voter base against a solidified right or left.

all it would take is an everyman. someone that can appeal to every1 with zero affiliation

Old Post Feb 7th, 2018 06:52 AM
Sin I AM is currently offline Click here to Send Sin I AM a Private Message Find more posts by Sin I AM Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sin I AM
Madame Mort

maybe someone who is universally loved with a squaeky clean image or a relative unknown john doe

Old Post Feb 7th, 2018 06:54 AM
Sin I AM is currently offline Click here to Send Sin I AM a Private Message Find more posts by Sin I AM Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
snowdragon

Originally posted by Sin I AM
all it would take is an everyman. someone that can appeal to every1 with zero affiliation

We are always going to have an affiliation though. We create cultures to align with our beliefs. The best we can hope for is someone that can look to understand cultural divides and put that as a precedent for our future with a policy that supports that.

Old Post Feb 7th, 2018 06:56 AM
snowdragon is currently offline Click here to Send snowdragon a Private Message Find more posts by snowdragon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sin I AM
Madame Mort

We are always going to have an affiliation though. We create cultures to align with our beliefs. The best we can hope for is someone that can look to understand cultural divides and put that as a precedent for our future with a policy that supports that.

true. but im suggesting something along the messiah lines. we will always have fringes, but if we can find someone who has that universal appeal without being part of anything in particular.

Old Post Feb 7th, 2018 07:01 AM
snowdragon

true. but im suggesting something along the messiah lines. we will always have fringes, but if we can find someone who has that universal appeal without being part of anything in particular.

Do we want a "messiah" though where we don't question them because they are above us? I feel where you are coming from but if we put someone on a pedestal and create that omnibenevolent dictator I don't think we'll get the results you hope for.

Then again you haven't explained your end game so it might be good for you.

Old Post Feb 7th, 2018 07:05 AM
Flyattractor

Well the last 8 years we had a "Messiah". Things didn't work out to well with that one....

Old Post Feb 7th, 2018 07:06 AM
Flyattractor is currently offline Click here to Send Flyattractor a Private Message Find more posts by Flyattractor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Robtard
Here's hoping that Trump causes so much embarrassment with the Republican party that they split in two and I'm not just talking about something like the teabagger wingnuts, but a legit schism.

Indeed, I'm hoping the embarrassment the left is causing themselves has the Dems do something similar.

Old Post Feb 7th, 2018 03:31 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Blindside12
Restricted

Account Restricted

Trump was a third party candidate, People Just have not figured that out yet.

Regardless of how much you hate him, hate his hair, how "fat he is" how dumb he is, he outsmarted 18 GOP candidates, and according to outsmarted according to Barack Obama "The smartest most qualified person to ever run for office."

Trump is getting shit done, and people hate him for it. Tough cookies.

Liberals believe if you decide to jump the border, or over stay your visa, you deserve to be an American, sorry, thats just not the way it works. This is mainly why they hate Trump. When the wall starts going up the hate will get worse.

Thanks Esta!

Last edited by Blindside12 on Feb 7th, 2018 at 03:43 PM

Old Post Feb 7th, 2018 03:40 PM
Blindside12 is currently offline Click here to Send Blindside12 a Private Message Find more posts by Blindside12 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bashar Teg
Senior Mentat

we already got bernie and he chose (imho wisely) to not run 3rd party after the dnc/schultz ratf*ckery.

the trouble is that any popular 3rd party candidate is realistically going to cannibalize their base and strengthen the opponent's chance of winning, since 9999/10000 lean on one side of the political spectrum.

Your Lord knows very well what is in your heart. Your soul suffices this day as a reckoner against you. I need no witnesses. You do not listen to your soul, but listen instead to your anger and your rage.

Old Post Feb 7th, 2018 03:45 PM
Bashar Teg is currently offline Click here to Send Bashar Teg a Private Message Find more posts by Bashar Teg Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sin I AM
Madame Mort

Do we want a "messiah" though where we don't question them because they are above us? I feel where you are coming from but if we put someone on a pedestal and create that omnibenevolent dictator I don't think we'll get the results you hope for.

Then again you haven't explained your end game so it might be good for you.

messiah like....onlyin the universal appeal regards, not the he can do no wrong shtick.
we already got bernie and he chose (imho wisely) to not run 3rd party after the dnc/schultz ratf*ckery.

the trouble is that any popular 3rd party candidate is realistically going to cannibalize their base and strengthen the opponent's chance of winning, since 9999/10000 lean on one side of the political spectrum.

bernie imo was too old. the person should be young, relatively speaking,

Old Post Feb 7th, 2018 07:07 PM
Robtard
Senor Member

Originally posted by Surtur
Indeed, I'm hoping the embarrassment the left is causing themselves has the Dems do something similar.

^ Always finding ways to cope with reality

You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Old Post Feb 7th, 2018 07:11 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

bernie imo was too old. the person should be young, relatively speaking,

Gavin "Slick" Newsom

(please log in to view the image)

Old Post Feb 7th, 2018 07:13 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Blindside12
Restricted

Account Restricted

^ Always finding ways to cope with reality

I think you have difficulty coping with the reality of Trump's presidency which is why you lash out here 12 hours a day.

Old Post Feb 7th, 2018 07:30 PM
Blindside12 is currently offline Click here to Send Blindside12 a Private Message Find more posts by Blindside12 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

Are you going to follow me around again and attack me in every thread I post in today?

Old Post Feb 7th, 2018 07:31 PM
Darkstorm Zero
Master of all Decepticons

"I have become Death, the destroyer of worlds..."

Old Post Feb 7th, 2018 07:43 PM
Darkstorm Zero is currently offline Click here to Send Darkstorm Zero a Private Message Find more posts by Darkstorm Zero Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bashar Teg
Senior Mentat

Old Post Feb 7th, 2018 07:45 PM
dadudemon

Gavin "Slick" Newsom

What a handsome person. Looks like a better looking version of Bradley Cooper.

Edit - Lt Gov. of CA. Democrat. So now you'll say he raped someone, right? Because I complimented him and now it's time for someone to say, "He's bad because x."

Old Post Feb 7th, 2018 08:34 PM
dadudemon is currently offline Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
lazybones

It's fairly unlikely, at least in the short-medium term. Reasons:

• FPTP electoral system which makes it hard to depose entrenched major parties
  • Big money which bankrolls both major parties and keeps them afloat
  • Gerrymandering which creates many ultra-safe districts for GOP/Dems
  • Spoiler effect, the danger of which could scare voters into abandoning third parties in close two way races
  • Structural disadvantages. Democrats and Republicans are heavily entrenched with much of the infrastructure needed for a campaign already in place for them. Insurgent third parties would not have this luxury.
  • Lack of talent and unifying figure(s) needed to bring together the rather broad range of people who are sick of the two-party system
  • Corporate and partisan media oligopolies which could deny third parties publicity if they ever became a threat
  • 15% polling average needed to qualify for debate, which no third party achieved in the 2016 race despite record unpopularity of the Dem/GOP candidates.

Last edited by lazybones on Feb 8th, 2018 at 01:30 PM

Old Post Feb 8th, 2018 01:28 PM
lazybones is currently offline Click here to Send lazybones a Private Message Find more posts by lazybones Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote