KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book 'Versus' Forum » Superman Vs Thor Sword fight

Superman Vs Thor Sword fight
Started by: TethAdamTheRock

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (4): « First ... « 2 3 [4]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Rage.Of.Olympus

quote: (post)
Originally posted by abhilegend
Angela is as fast as Superman 90% of the time?
laughing out loud

At this point you're just as obsessed with me as carver or quanchi.
Well rage, are you going to accept this or not?

Yes. More or less. Clearly I did not take all of Superman's total appearances, and average that out for when he displays notable super-speed, and do the same for Angela. The sheer number of appearances under his belt would make it statistically pointless.

Are you for real?

Well, at least your little lesson with me has stopped you challenging everyone to a battle zone every other thread. So your humiliation served some meaningful purpose.

Old Post Feb 16th, 2018 05:08 AM
Rage.Of.Olympus is currently offline Click here to Send Rage.Of.Olympus a Private Message Find more posts by Rage.Of.Olympus Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
spetznaz
Senior Fanboy Killer

Originally posted by riv6672
Agree to disagree.
You can argue p/cis all day, but those feats (where speed definitely dies NOT kill) are canon.
Add to that the fact that Supes is not even a speedster (a character that consistently moves at SS as its his main power) but instead a character with super speed, who consistently fights in non SS mode.
I originally posted that if this thread took off, Supes would be KK level within 2 pages. I was mistaken.
Instead posters are trying to give him the (undeserved) win via him suddenly being FlaSuperman.
So, like i said, agree to disagree.

We can definitely agree to disagree Riv, and with no bile whatsoever. After all, we are debating fictional characters that shoot fire from their eyes and wield flying hammers.

What I would like to raise though is your use of straw man arguments and red herrings, which is a bit unfortunate since you’re a good poster/debater that doesn’t have to rely on fallacies to make a point. I wouldn’t bother doing this if you were, say, Carver, Wolverine 888 or RealityWarper.

- You mention Superman is not a speedster because he doesn’t consistently move at superspeed as his main power. That’s an informal fallacy because we know that Superman is not only able to move at high levels of superspeed, but his speed levels are fast enough to beat all but the very fastest of DC characters that move fast. He is not the fastest, but apart from some high level Speed Force users (best examples being Wally and Barry), and some time-manipulators (Zolomon), he can hang with the best of them. He is definitely a super speedster, and while speed may not be his ONLY power it is definitely one of the MAIN powers. In DC most bricks tend to have some measure of speed ...with characters like Martian Manhunter, WonderWoman, etc being shown to move at speeds faster than (say) Quicksilver at Marvel is regularly depicted moving at. Even a character like Black Adam was shown moving at Mach 500
Point is: While Superman may not have speed as his main power (singular), it is one of the main powerS (plural) that he has. And he has it at such a level that he can keep up (most of the time) with elite SS like the Flash, even though they can dial speed up higher than he can.

- As for posters giving him a win by making him a ‘FlaSuperman,’ that’s a weak argument from you since he is actually fast enough to pull off a similar move. Another poster showed him doing exactly that to WonderWoman, who was ironically holding a blade, and is definitely skilled with weapons ...and got backhanded. Superman using speed against Thor is not the same as the Hulk using speed against Thor. One can actually be able to use speed.

- The use of Karate Kid was a straight straw man, and the only response to that is (i) the only person who raised that was you and (ii) I believe I clearly stated that pure skill wise Thor is better with weapons than Superman is. The Odinson was probably born with a blade in his hand.

Anyway, we can agree to disagree. No skin off either of our backs, and unlike many posters here I don’t think either of us feel they get a salary from DC or Marvel (hence no need to wank a character one way or the other). Thor winning, or Superman winning, doesn’t change a thing.

But posting without fallacies is important. Superman is not, and will never be, Karate Kid. Superman does not, and will likely never (unless some writer gets carried away) have greater weapon skills than Thor. However, Superman has very high level speed abilities, and whether one calls him a speedster or not, no one can argue he is unable to deploy high level speed.

Old Post Feb 16th, 2018 06:59 AM
spetznaz is currently offline Click here to Send spetznaz a Private Message Find more posts by spetznaz Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
DarkSaint85

Spetznaz, keeping it classy.

Old Post Feb 16th, 2018 07:09 AM
DarkSaint85 is currently offline Click here to Send DarkSaint85 a Private Message Find more posts by DarkSaint85 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bentley
Seitei

I think you could repeat the "Superman speed" argument in about any thread regarding the character, which isn't either terribly valuable nor terribly appealing, it's the kind of discussion where people camp in their positions and stay in there throwing feats back and forth.

This is why I believe the only person who brought a relevant argument in that regard is not other than yours truly, the awesome Bentley shifty

If superspeed is allowed, Thor gets punked. If it isn't, then ? . Unless we use some composite average, in which case, we are back to scenario 2.

Except the lip service of Thor born "with a sword in his hand" and the assumedly superior melee capacities he carries are pretty irrelevant 90% of his showings. If you dismiss Superman's superspeed as too scarce to be properly valid in a fight and "not something that happens in comics", fighting skills displayed by Thor on average aren't anything to write about either. So anyone intellectually honest would agree that if Superman doesn't have the speed advantage, then Thor doesn't carry any specific skill edge, as the reasoning to dismiss both is the same.

Obviously this is exactly the way discussion went in the last 4 pages, but I thought it be better that I wrap up everything with a nice ribbon so we can all shake hands and call it a day.

Keep rocking KMC!

My respect threads:Kang the Conqueror, Ultron, Devil Dinosaur, Michael Korvac
Captain America for High Street

Old Post Feb 16th, 2018 07:36 AM
Bentley is currently offline Click here to Send Bentley a Private Message Find more posts by Bentley Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Damborgson
King of the Damboys

Originally posted by Bentley
Except the lip service of Thor born "with a sword in his hand" and the assumedly superior melee capacities he carries are pretty irrelevant 90% of his showings. If you dismiss Superman's superspeed as too scarce to be properly valid in a fight and "not something that happens in comics", fighting skills displayed by Thor on average aren't anything to write about either. So anyone intellectually honest would agree that if Superman doesn't have the speed advantage, then Thor doesn't carry any specific skill edge, as the reasoning to dismiss both is the same.

Thor actually has good showings with wielding swords.

(please log in to view the image)

-Abhi Killer- X2

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/f105/t655309.html

Old Post Feb 16th, 2018 07:43 AM
Damborgson is currently offline Click here to Send Damborgson a Private Message Find more posts by Damborgson Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bentley
Seitei

Superman has actual super speed showings in comics too.

Old Post Feb 16th, 2018 07:45 AM
Bentley is currently offline Click here to Send Bentley a Private Message Find more posts by Bentley Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Damborgson
King of the Damboys

That great, but I assumed the purpose of the thread was to see who'd win a sword fight. It doesn't matter how much more skilled you are if you're moving in slow motion, so the purpose of the thread would seem to be defeated.

So if the point is, who's going to win a sword fight, based on skill like I assume it is, then Thor has the better showings that I know of.

If it's a melee with swords in play, then Superman.

-Abhi Killer- X2

Old Post Feb 16th, 2018 07:52 AM
Damborgson is currently offline Click here to Send Damborgson a Private Message Find more posts by Damborgson Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
DarkSaint85

So do they both have their strength?

If yes, why?

Do they both have their durability?

If so, why?

Then....do they have speed, one of their (as in, I actually think Thor too has a measure of superspeed?

If not, why not?

If you want to make it competitive, depower both. Not just one side.

Not talking about powers which are extraneous to a sword fight, like HV and the power of a thousand winds. But speed, strength, skill and durability. All abilities which all sword fighters use and hone.

Thor has the skill advantage. We certainly seem to be agreed in giving it to him. Yet Supermans speed abilities mysteriously disappear because people don't like it?

Old Post Feb 16th, 2018 08:07 AM
DarkSaint85 is currently offline Click here to Send DarkSaint85 a Private Message Find more posts by DarkSaint85 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bentley
Seitei

Ignoring super speed to make sense of a full skill fight seems logical. Your assesment is a sensible one.

But if the logic is that Superman cannot use Superspeed in a random fight because it's scarce (not my logic), we could argue Thor doesn't use skill either on average. If we adhere to that reasoning, even in an equalized speed fight Thor gets effectively nerfed.

Old Post Feb 16th, 2018 08:09 AM
SSJGGogeta

I think the point is that on average, Thor is a master swordsman, and Superman is not.

In terms of skill with a sword, Thor is above Superman.

In terms of speed, strength, durability, etc, Superman shits on Thor.

So for the purpose of this thread, Thor wins.

In an actual fight, Superman curbstomps.

"Why is everybody so ****ing stupid?"- Kim Jong Il, Team America.

Old Post Feb 16th, 2018 08:22 AM
SSJGGogeta is currently offline Click here to Send SSJGGogeta a Private Message Find more posts by SSJGGogeta Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Damborgson
King of the Damboys

Originally posted by Bentley
Ignoring super speed to make sense of a full skill fight seems logical. Your assesment is a sensible one.

But if the logic is that Superman cannot use Superspeed in a random fight because it's scarce (not my logic), we could argue Thor doesn't use skill either on average. If we adhere to that reasoning, even in an equalized speed fight Thor gets effectively nerfed.

I agree, Thor is hardly a master fighter in most of his fights, and if we depower Superman so as to make it a battle to discuss in the first place, the same same should apply to Thor, but because the 'point' (I think) is a skill match, nerfing his skill or their skills would go against the spirit of the thread.

If that's not the point, and Superman gets his full speed, then it becomes a non fight. Just trying to avoid a speed blitz thread essentially.

Originally posted by DarkSaint85
So do they both have their strength?

If yes, why?

Do they both have their durability?

If so, why?

Then....do they have speed, one of their (as in, I actually think Thor too has a measure of superspeed?

If not, why not?

If you want to make it competitive, depower both. Not just one side.

Not talking about powers which are extraneous to a sword fight, like HV and the power of a thousand winds. But speed, strength, skill and durability. All abilities which all sword fighters use and hone.

Thor has the skill advantage. We certainly seem to be agreed in giving it to him. Yet Supermans speed abilities mysteriously disappear because people don't like it?

Thor does have a measure of super speed, but just as Luke Cage has a measure of strength, it wouldn't compare to the Hulk for example, which may as well be the difference in their speed.

That's not why, and it may be someone elses' argument but certainly not mine. The skill advantage for Thor is great, but the speed advantage for Superman makes it a non fight. That's why I assume it's not the point of the thread, and that leaves skill to be taken into account, which favors Thor.

It would defeat the purpose of the thread is what I'm saying.

-Abhi Killer- X2

Old Post Feb 16th, 2018 08:45 AM
abhilegend
Prince of All Saiyans

Originally posted by Rage.Of.Olympus
Yes. More or less. Clearly I did not take all of Superman's total appearances, and average that out for when he displays notable super-speed, and do the same for Angela. The sheer number of appearances under his belt would make it statistically pointless.

Make up your mind. Is it yes, more or less or clearly?

You said she is as fast as Superman in 90% of his fights. How does this counts in appearances? Superman doesn't uses his Superspeed in all his appearances.

Are you ready to back this up or back away like the coward you are?
quote:

Are you for real?

Yes, and your obsession with clean water in India is disturbing.
quote:

Well, at least your little lesson with me has stopped you challenging everyone to a battle zone every other thread. So your humiliation served some meaningful purpose.

Who got humiliated there is up for debate but if you are such a master debater you will have no issues taking on Philosophía?

Right?

Old Post Feb 16th, 2018 11:04 AM
abhilegend is currently offline Click here to Send abhilegend a Private Message Find more posts by abhilegend Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
abhilegend
Prince of All Saiyans

Originally posted by Damborgson
I agree, Thor is hardly a master fighter in most of his fights, and if we depower Superman so as to make it a battle to discuss in the first place, the same same should apply to Thor, but because the 'point' (I think) is a skill match, nerfing his skill or their skills would go against the spirit of the thread.

If that's not the point, and Superman gets his full speed, then it becomes a non fight. Just trying to avoid a speed blitz thread essentially.

Thor does have a measure of super speed, but just as Luke Cage has a measure of strength, it wouldn't compare to the Hulk for example, which may as well be the difference in their speed.

That's not why, and it may be someone elses' argument but certainly not mine. The skill advantage for Thor is great, but the speed advantage for Superman makes it a non fight. That's why I assume it's not the point of the thread, and that leaves skill to be taken into account, which favors Thor.

It would defeat the purpose of the thread is what I'm saying.

Thor doesn't has any skill advantages over Superman.

Old Post Feb 16th, 2018 11:06 AM
abhilegend is currently offline Click here to Send abhilegend a Private Message Find more posts by abhilegend Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
abhilegend
Prince of All Saiyans

Oh that, Superman defeated the finest swordsmen in Camelot without breaking a sweat.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/xiquIufouu...5
M=s1600

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/b94Wbl8yvG...GU=
s1600

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/ cSJf3xDDO...DxBBA5wXx=s1600

Old Post Feb 16th, 2018 11:17 AM
DarkSaint85

Stop making stuff up abhi.

IOW, broken links.

Old Post Feb 16th, 2018 11:20 AM
abhilegend
Prince of All Saiyans

Well obviously.

Old Post Feb 16th, 2018 11:23 AM
Philosophía
"The devil made me do it"

That scene was what first popped up in my mind when I read the thread, too.

I also assumed it would be made with both of them depowered, but...OP had other plans.

If both of them are depowered and it's JUST sword fighting, I give it to Thor, tbh. It wouldn't be a walk in the park at all, given Superman's experience, but eventually he'd win.

“Perhaps this is the ultimate freedom. The freedom to leave.”

Last edited by Philosophía on Feb 16th, 2018 at 12:35 PM

Old Post Feb 16th, 2018 12:33 PM
Philosophía is currently offline Click here to Send Philosophía a Private Message Find more posts by Philosophía Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote