KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » Coincidental reasons why the PT brigade is so strong

Coincidental reasons why the PT brigade is so strong
Started by: The Ellimist

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): « 1 2 [3]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
The_Tempest

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Azronger
He said that in Book of the Sith, but not in The Jedi Path as far as I'm aware.

Just a slight correction; continue with your lecturing of these infidels, Master.

Noted. thumb up

Thanks for the correction.

Old Post Feb 16th, 2018 11:23 PM
Click here to Send The_Tempest a Private Message Find more posts by The_Tempest Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Azronger
Azronger Reborn

No problem. Always ready to serve thumb up

Old Post Feb 16th, 2018 11:37 PM
Click here to Send Azronger a Private Message Find more posts by Azronger Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The_Tempest

Originally posted by JMANGO
Nah, The PT order momentarily "straying from their ideals" doesn't preclude the notion that there were other points in the 25000 years of jedi history that it also happened.

I never said it did.

Nor does it mean that they're at their "peak". For example, the TOTJ Jedi concern themselves with warfare to a much greater extent and would have eliminated tribes and conglomerates that had been allowed to exist just before and during the clone wars, such as the nightsisters.

Citation needed.

The problem is that your argument has to involve the EU if you want to place the PT era over other timelines that are detailed only in the EU.

I said my argument doesn't have to reconcile itself with all the EU fluff, I never said that it didn't have to involve the EU at all. Of course it does.

Calling it "fluff" just because it doesn't fit with the thematic narrative of Star Wars according to the Tempest, doesn't help your case.

Which is ironic, since you're the one in his initial post who dismisses wholesale the accolades that put the PT as the height of Jedi power because it doesn't fit in with your notion of how the EU works.

(please log in to view the image)

When trying to analyse the martial prowess of the order as a whole, you have to consider the martial abilties of the order. That of course includes the choice of lightsaber form favoured amongst their duelists. You also have to remember that forms don't just emanate a set of striking patterns, but also represent the philosophies of the jedi wielding them. So when the "diplomat form" is the most studied style in the modern era, it contradicts the notion that they were the more concerned with warfare than any other time line of Jedi.

Which is irrelevant, since that same logic would require Dooku - an avowed Makashi duelist - to be a better duelist or more effective warrior than either Windu or Yoda, who are not Makashi practitioners, when we know in fact he's not. Not to mention that this, again, refers back to EU fluff.

Nah, he doesn't choose a direct confrontation with the jedi because he needed to frame them as the galactic villains.

Yes, he's unquestionably wiser and more intelligent than any of his predecessors.

Which would prevent them from gaining favour with the greater population and reforming, as they have done in the past.

Citation needed that widespread appeal with the greater population was the impetus for Jedi reform?

I hope you aren't suggesting that Palpatine couldn't have crushed the jedi with his armies, given that a sample selection of 200 jedi, were curb-stomped by a much smaller percentage of the CIS army on Geonosis. Now imagine what would have happened had the clone troopers who entered the fray later on, started firing on the Jedi too.

I never said nor suggested he couldn't have defeated them outright through force. I'm saying ultimately it's a strategy that has never worked in the past, which is part and parcel of why Palpatine didn't employ it.

(please log in to view the image)

It's not just "part of it", it's the defining theme of the scene. Not fighting the emperor is a plot vehicle that enables Vader to redeem himself, by physically throwing the emperor into a reactor shaft

So... what you're saying is Luke defeats the Emperor by not fighting him. That's almost like it was my point.

(i.e.:fighting him)

It wasn't a fight and Vader died in the attempt. Hope that wasn't a spoiler.

Super Coolstorybro. The personal and non-canonical opinion of Pablo Hidlago, who was nine years old during the release of Return of the Jedi can not accurately relay the authorial intent of the scene.

You're certainly free to disagree with his thoughts on the matter, I just find them more credible than yours since your argument presently lacks evidence to support it.

The height of their marital prowess? Got a quote?

I'll hunt it down.

Regardless such a quote doesn't refute the idea that fighting the sith with martial training and abilties was the correct course of action to prevent a purge according to Luke, as stated by himself in dark apprentice. Which kind of shits on your original point that the Jedi failed because their fighting prowess was unequaled.

The correct course of action to prevent a purge would probably be to not let yourself be put in a position where a purge is likely. Which is one of the elements of the ROTS novel: by fighting at all, the Jedi lost.

By the way, Luke may not have been the best authority on which time period of Jedi was "teh strongest" considering the vast amounts of information lost in the purge.

Hey, you were the one who cited him, I'm just letting you hang yourself with a noose of your own design.

However, he is the best authority when it comes to his own philosophy in dealing with adversaries : which is to beat them up with his lightsaber.

Except the Emperor at Endor, which is the point.

Ultimately, you've done little to undermine my argument, perhaps because you fundamentally misunderstand it. So I'll try to be more clear: given the narrative facts concerning the prequel trilogy, it makes the most thematic sense for the Jedi order to be at the height of their martial prowess during that time because of the very nature of their defeat and the means by which the new Jedi order ultimately triumphs over evil at Endor. I don't claim that because this makes the most thematic sense that it perfectly aligns itself with all aspects of the EU. I'm saying that in spite of the fact that the EU tells us Niman was favored by the prequel Jedi over Makashi, it still makes the most sense.

Old Post Feb 16th, 2018 11:46 PM
Click here to Send The_Tempest a Private Message Find more posts by The_Tempest Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Ellimist
The Shadow

@Ziggy if you agree the PT Jedi have the most outlier Force powers like Yoda, then what are you saying when you disagree? That the average PT Jedi isn’t as good?

Old Post Feb 16th, 2018 11:49 PM
Click here to Send The Ellimist a Private Message Find more posts by The Ellimist Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The_Tempest

@Fresh, I responded to you on page 2 BTW.

Old Post Feb 16th, 2018 11:54 PM
LordOfTheLight

JMango is Ziggy?

Old Post Feb 17th, 2018 12:58 AM
Click here to Send LordOfTheLight a Private Message Find more posts by LordOfTheLight Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Freedon Nadd

The Sith failed the 'test' during those days because the Jedi were continously training and fighting wars. Ergo, they were forced to improve their combat skills, et cetera.
The PT was called the Golden Age of the Jedi because the galactic conflict between these two factions was over.
Plagueis himself admits that the old Jedi>the modern Jedi. laughing out loud

RealistRacism: "Sheevites, much like the Banites, were meant to increase in power with each member. From Lightsnake to Gideon to Azronger, this was supposed to be the case. However, knowledge must've been lost in some kind of Gravid-like incident, as Az turned out to be a mid-tier debater with a sub-par track record, sh!itting all over Tempest's legacy. Sad."

Last edited by Freedon Nadd on Feb 17th, 2018 at 01:11 PM

Old Post Feb 17th, 2018 01:06 PM
Click here to Send Freedon Nadd a Private Message Find more posts by Freedon Nadd Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
LordOfTheLight

Originally posted by The Ellimist
If we agree that thematically Sidious is the most powerful Sith, then at least the upper end of the PT Jedi must be the best, because they have multiple people who can challenge Sidious while back in the ancient eras the Jedi would have no Jedi to match Sith like Exar Kun.

Like seriously which era of Jedi is supposed to match Yoda, Anakin, Mace and Obi Wan again?

This precisely. Jedi individually of the PT era are a match for the Sith Lords in overall ability, whereas in the Ancient eras, aside from Revan and HoTLander, there really aren't Jedi who can match their individual Sith rivals one-on-one. And even in the case of Revan, he got stomped by his main counterpart.

I mean, Palpatine and Yoda? Obi Wan and Maul?

Not to mention, two more Jedi on Palpatine's general level, Mace and Anakin. Both superior to Dooku( to whom Obi Wan is reasonably close to) the second best Sith Lord of the era. In the meantime, you have other Masters in Plo Koon who can go toe to toe with Sith apprentices like Ventress and even demonstrate superiority.

It is pretty obvious that the Jedi numbers "dwindling" and the Jedi being the most powerful ever go hand in hand, i.e., you have more power( of the light side) concentrated in fewer Jedi, and the order as a whole is more powerful than it ever was leading to the production of a great many outstanding individuals and the bettering of the order as a whole. And let's face it, a thousand years of the light side growing stronger and stronger, would obviously mean that the Jedi would have grown stronger too.

Let's have a look at the ancient eras with Odan Urr, the so called "grandmaster" of the time back then. Looking at that, he has great hype, but in a one-on-one confrontation with his counterpart, he got one-shotted. Vodo Siosk Baas the next great Master got promptly owned as well. Bane's era? Laughable. The so called "champion" of the Jedi Order in SWTOR, needs PIS and his enemy to be incredibly weakened in order to even touch him. Satele( the Grand Master of her era) and Malgus who though pretty high, is nowhere near the absolute top? I can go on and on, but the point is clear-No Jedi in any era save for the PT era is a match for their counterpart Sith Lord one-on-one( I may forget a name or two, but nowhere to the extent that it is so in the PT era).

I also like the so called reasoning that years and years of continuous war would make the Jedi Order much more powerful. Funny, the Jedi of 1000 BBY had a "thousand" years of continuous battle experience and not just with any opponents but with the Sith themselves. You'd have thought that they would grow so powerful, they'd run around one-shotting their opponents like they were flies, but no, we get the same old story. Worse in fact, because the Jedi Order was at its utter weakest at this point to the point that they would recruit force sensitive rats just to help them win the war out of sheer desperation, a war they were losing somewhat soundly to the Sith who were themselves at their weakest ever by far. In fact, without the intervention of Darth Bane, the Jedi would have lost right then and there.

To summarize-

1. The Jedi had bathed the galaxy in a light side nexus for close to a thousand years one which obviously would have grown stronger with time, and the Jedi logically too would have.

2. The Jedi numbers are at a pretty low in this era, which means that the power of the light side is concentrated in fewer individuals leading to stronger individuals among the Jedi. This coupled with the fact that the light side grew stronger and stronger( you can argue that it would have been at its strongest ever) and you have much more powerful individual Jedi than otherwise.

3. The Jedi had a thousand more years to advance their order, to grow and to learn. Note that at this point in history, their position is unique-At no other point in history has the Order come off from fighting a war with the dark side itself and their arch-enemies for a full thousand years and won. The experience, knowledge and wisdom they would have gained from this would be monumentally bigger than at any other point in history. And as said in ROTS the Jedi were training to refight the last war, which means that they did focus on combative prowess above all else, only, those efforts would be utterly optimized by their cumulative experience and knowledge obtained from 1000 years of continuous war with the Sith which is a privilege they have never had ever. And as a result, the Jedi produced would obviously be a lot better than ever before.

4. We have exceptional Jedi of the era being able to match the exceptional Sith Lords of the era( actually the only Sith Lords of the era because there are just two or three, but those are incredibly exceptional) one-on-one, and then some. At no other point, have Jedi been able to match their Sith counterparts successfully, barring one or two one-off examples like Meetra vs Traya across all ages whereas there are almost scores of them in the PT era. And note that each Sith Lord in this era is one of the most powerful ever, with Tyranus and Maul easily being in the top 15 Sith Lords of all time( the former in top 10) and Palpatine being the most powerful Sith Lord ever, so it is not some run of the mill Sith Lords we are discussing here. It stands to simple reason that the lower level Jedi would be proportionately more powerful than their previous counterparts as would be the exceptional ones by simple induction.

5. And finally, a great many quotes objectively stating the Jedi of the era to be the best ever, including the WoG from the creator of the SW universe itself.

So, yeah, there is really no credible argument to be made that can assert that the Jedi of this era are not the best of all time. Even if one isn't convinced by the mountain of evidence directly asserting exactly that, it is obvious that of all the eras this one has the best shot. And by far.

Last edited by LordOfTheLight on Feb 18th, 2018 at 05:14 PM

Old Post Feb 18th, 2018 05:04 PM
Click here to Send LordOfTheLight a Private Message Find more posts by LordOfTheLight Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zenwolf

That and as of the Jedi Path, the PT Jedi do train themselves against holoprojected versions of past Sith Lords. This including Darth Ruin, Lord Kaan, Darth Desolous and other Sith of the past.

Last edited by Zenwolf on Feb 18th, 2018 at 05:26 PM

Old Post Feb 18th, 2018 05:22 PM
Click here to Send Zenwolf a Private Message Find more posts by Zenwolf Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Azronger
Azronger Reborn

thumb upthumb upthumb up at LotL (and Zen too)

Old Post Feb 18th, 2018 05:24 PM
Click here to Send Azronger a Private Message Find more posts by Azronger Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
LordOfTheLight

quote:

It is pretty obvious that the Jedi numbers "dwindling" and the Jedi being the most powerful ever go hand in hand, i.e., you have more power( of the light side) concentrated in fewer Jedi, and the order as a whole is more powerful than it ever was leading to the production of a great many outstanding individuals and the bettering of the order as a whole.

An error in sentence structuring. What I meant was-"It is more credible that the Jedi are the best ever in this time, since the Jedi numbers dwindling and the light side growing stronger over close to 1000 years go hand in hand".

Old Post Feb 18th, 2018 05:39 PM
Freedon Nadd

Quit with that light side 'shroud'. Only Plagueis believed that. There's no light side bathing the galaxy.

RealistRacism: "Sheevites, much like the Banites, were meant to increase in power with each member. From Lightsnake to Gideon to Azronger, this was supposed to be the case. However, knowledge must've been lost in some kind of Gravid-like incident, as Az turned out to be a mid-tier debater with a sub-par track record, sh!itting all over Tempest's legacy. Sad."

Old Post Feb 18th, 2018 05:49 PM
Click here to Send Freedon Nadd a Private Message Find more posts by Freedon Nadd Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote