KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » How would you propose making America's schools safe against school shootings?

How would you propose making America's schools safe against school shootings?
Started by: The Lost

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (6): « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Robtard
Senor Member

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Blindside12
PTSD doesn't disqualify you from law enforcement you idiot, keep discriminating tho.

Keep bashing that strawman I guess

You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Old Post Feb 22nd, 2018 06:40 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nibedicus
Gaming addict

Armed security on campus. Reinforced bulletproof doors.

I’m also thinking of maybe a “smoke blaster” device similar to how sprinkler systems are installed. A sound trigger (or if someone pulls an alarm) would activate the smoke system. Smoke would be similar to the ones used by spec ops to protect against sniper fire by impairing visibility. Smoke should be harmless, however. Floors would have lights similar to those in airplanes that guide students to exits or defensible areas (like classrooms with reinforced doors). It’s not gonna eliminate casualties entirely, but the lower visibility should could save many lives especially in crowded schools.

Old Post Feb 22nd, 2018 06:41 PM
Nibedicus is currently offline Click here to Send Nibedicus a Private Message Find more posts by Nibedicus Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jaden101
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Bashar Teg
well yeah but what if we end up genetically engineering a bullet proof school shooter. then what do we do?

Hmmm. Good point, well made.

Nuke the whole site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

You come at the King, you best not miss!

Old Post Feb 22nd, 2018 06:43 PM
jaden101 is currently offline Click here to Send jaden101 a Private Message Find more posts by jaden101 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jaden101
Restricted

Account Restricted

That smoke machine idea has its merits. I've seen a premises that had it installed get broken into and the thieves were so disoriented that they were still stuck in the building when the police arrived.

Different scenario with a shooter though. Yes it would make it more difficult for them to target people but it would also mean there would be more of a chance to run into the shooter while evacuating. Less chances of law enforcement effectively targeting the shooter. An increased risk of them shooting the wrong person/people.

You come at the King, you best not miss!

Old Post Feb 22nd, 2018 06:48 PM
jaden101 is currently offline Click here to Send jaden101 a Private Message Find more posts by jaden101 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

Originally posted by jaden101
Hmmm. Good point, well made.

Nuke the whole site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

I saw that film; didn't end well for the marines.

Originally posted by jaden101
That smoke machine idea has its merits. I've seen a premises that had it installed get broken into and the thieves were so disoriented that they were still stuck in the building when the police arrived.

Different scenario with a shooter though. Yes it would make it more difficult for them to target people but it would also mean there would be more of a chance to run into the shooter while evacuating. Less chances of law enforcement effectively targeting the shooter. An increased risk of them shooting the wrong person/people.

Reward to risk seems a bit high when dealing with a shooter and people fleeing.

Old Post Feb 22nd, 2018 07:00 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Blindside12
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Robtard
Keep bashing that strawman I guess

Bullshit its a strawman

Since guns are not going away, I'd say have armed security on campus, but even then that can not matter as Parkland had an armed guard on campus the day of the shooting. So maybe better trained armed guards and/or more of them. Non PTSD vets and/or ex-law enforcement would be ideal.

Thanks Esta!

Old Post Feb 22nd, 2018 07:00 PM
Blindside12 is currently offline Click here to Send Blindside12 a Private Message Find more posts by Blindside12 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

Originally posted by Blindside12
Bullshit its a strawman

Where did I say "people with PTSD are disqualified"? I didn't, that was just your brain again doing stuff. I said ideally they'd not have it. Bye now.

Old Post Feb 22nd, 2018 07:03 PM
Nibedicus
Gaming addict

Well, the smoke machines should have acoustic sensors that can predict exact location of a discharged weapon (military already has one of these devices in service, I think). Smoke blasters would only cover the area where the gun is fired and maybe a small distance around it. Running past the smoke screen would be a bad idea for an untrained shooter as he risks the chance of running into a wall or tripping. Crowds would then be directed away from the shooter/smoke (essentially, run away from the smoke). Those already in the smoke would have no choice but to instinctively drop low to see the floor light guides (further improving their chances vs random gunfire). Like I said, idea still needs work but drastically impairing a shooter’s aim could dramatically reduce deaths by making him miss far more and slowing down his movement, buying time for the ppl to escape.

As for it impairing law enforcement. Training to spot armed assailants inside or exiting smoke should be given to SWAT to deal with this scenario.

Old Post Feb 22nd, 2018 07:05 PM
Nibedicus is currently offline Click here to Send Nibedicus a Private Message Find more posts by Nibedicus Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nibedicus
Gaming addict

Also, from the journal of the guy that got busted for planning a school shooting, it's pretty much established that many school shooters are mentally disturbed absolute cowards who want to be in control so they go on a power trip by preying on the helpless. They also tend to be untrained (tho not all). Loss of visibility plays on the psyche as they pretty much lose a good chunk of the control they crave and play on their fears and paranoia and sooner or later, this will further make them far less effective at taking life. Scared panicky shooters tend to miss more than hit and are more likely to make mistakes (trip/fall/allow themselves to get ambushed/etc).

Again, these are all my just my theories. There are no bad ideas during a brainstorm sesh IMO. stick out tongue

Old Post Feb 22nd, 2018 07:17 PM
Kurk
Restricted

Account Restricted

I attended both public and private schools over my schooling with varying degrees of security. My highschool was VERY lax on security—basically a college campus break-up of different buildings with only a few locked doors. It was quite different from my public-school experience where the front doors were unlocked for only that 30 minute arrival window and then it became lock-down. I really don't think it contributes well to a kid's development, but then again school shooters don't either.

Intercity schools that have armed guards and metal detectors are simply depressing to look at. Maybe it's because I'm a freedom-loving midwesterner, but again kids shouldn't grow up thinking that it's the norm.

My proposition would be to secure the number of entrances (bullet-proof glass if needed sad ) while still keeping a high number of exits for victims to escape quickly. Classroom doors should be made of reinforced material and kept shut and locked from the outside when class is in session. Finally, the presence a school resource officer should add another level of deterrence and safety if worst comes to worst.

What I never want to see is a TSA checkpoint every morning.

Arming teachers is a risky/poor idea IMO. Who determines who gets one? Training? Where would it be kept? How do we know a student won't be able to snatch it when the teacher is distracted/incapacitated one day?

"Technology equals might!" "Evolve or perish"

Old Post Feb 22nd, 2018 07:17 PM
Kurk is currently offline Click here to Send Kurk a Private Message Find more posts by Kurk Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Beniboybling
Worst Member

special ops personnel on campus, kevlar weave school uniforms, bullet proof backpacks, a minefield in the school yard and lots of barbed wire fences, i want public schools to be more fortified than most military bases.

Old Post Feb 22nd, 2018 07:36 PM
Beniboybling is currently offline Click here to Send Beniboybling a Private Message Find more posts by Beniboybling Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

A sign that says "Please don't bring a gun here".

Boom, you're welcome.

Old Post Feb 22nd, 2018 07:42 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nibedicus
Gaming addict

No moats with electric eels?

Old Post Feb 22nd, 2018 07:43 PM
Beniboybling
Worst Member

whatever it takes. just don't regulate my guns

Old Post Feb 22nd, 2018 07:44 PM
Beniboybling is currently offline Click here to Send Beniboybling a Private Message Find more posts by Beniboybling Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kurk
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Beniboybling
You don't think your approach is too black and white?

Happy Dance Happy Dance Happy Dance Happy Dance

Old Post Feb 22nd, 2018 07:46 PM
Kurk is currently offline Click here to Send Kurk a Private Message Find more posts by Kurk Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Silent Master

Originally posted by Kurk
You don't think your approach is too black and white?

Well, considering he doesn't know that guns are already regulated. are you surprised?

I don't know why some of you are going on about being right and winning. Rob and Impediment were in on this gag because I PMed them. Silent and Rao PMed me and figured I changed the post. I highly doubt anybody thought Quan made the post, but simply played along just for the lulz.

Old Post Feb 22nd, 2018 07:50 PM
Silent Master is currently offline Click here to Send Silent Master a Private Message Find more posts by Silent Master Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bashar Teg
Senior Mentat

Originally posted by Beniboybling

laughed, then felt sad because they really are that selfish and petty.

Your Lord knows very well what is in your heart. Your soul suffices this day as a reckoner against you. I need no witnesses. You do not listen to your soul, but listen instead to your anger and your rage.

Old Post Feb 22nd, 2018 07:50 PM
Bashar Teg is currently offline Click here to Send Bashar Teg a Private Message Find more posts by Bashar Teg Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kurk
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Silent Master
Well, considering he doesn't know that guns are already regulated. are you surprised?
The UKers need to get a clue before they open their mouths here

Old Post Feb 22nd, 2018 07:53 PM
Robtard
Senor Member

If the UK people don't know thing one, then why do they keep eSodomizing the NRA cucks when it comes to gun debates? Odd, no.

Old Post Feb 22nd, 2018 07:55 PM
Blindside12
Restricted

Account Restricted

Where did I say "people with PTSD are disqualified"? I didn't, that was just your brain again doing stuff. I said ideally they'd not have it. Bye now.

Any chance you can you take a swipe at veterans.

Thanks Esta!

Old Post Feb 22nd, 2018 07:56 PM
Blindside12 is currently offline Click here to Send Blindside12 a Private Message Find more posts by Blindside12 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote