KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book 'Versus' Forum » Grant Morrison VERSUS KMC

Grant Morrison VERSUS KMC
Started by: LordofBrooklyn

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (5): « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
ares834
Knight of Ren

quote: (post)
Originally posted by SSJGGogeta
Comparing All star Superman to Naruto, Attack on Titan, Seven deadly sins, etc. would literally be like comparing McDonald's to Five Guys burgers and fries. They're not in the same league. (Morrison is Peewee, Naruto is the Major Leagues)

This... This is a troll post, right?

Old Post Feb 28th, 2018 06:29 AM
ares834 is currently offline Click here to Send ares834 a Private Message Find more posts by ares834 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Martian_mind
telepathy+debates+=Pwned

Originally posted by LordofBrooklyn
This poses the first real challenge.

When you think about Shooter writing those LOSH stories starting at the age of 13 it is really remarkable. I liked XO and Secret Wars though they bring down the average from the heights of The Korvac Saga and Solar.

Decision- MORRISON WINS!!!

Bringing down the averages is an interesting approach to take, as it harms Morrison as well. Final Crisis is a legitimate mess as far as storytelling goes, as it completely falls apart without Superman Beyond. He has a few others that fail to meet expectations as well, such as Joe the Barbarian, Aztek and Wonder Woman Earth One.

Now, I'm not saying that Shooter never misses the mark, but when he does, it's never quite so hard as Morrison. There's also the fact that his run on Magnus covers the ideas of emergence and free will better than anything else I've read in comics. So while I understand you personally prefer Morrison, I'm going to have to declare Shooter as the genuine winner.

Good thread, though. Hopefully we actually get some more discussions, as it could expose us all to a lot of competent writers.

Old Post Feb 28th, 2018 06:32 AM
Martian_mind is currently offline Click here to Send Martian_mind a Private Message Find more posts by Martian_mind Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SquallX

Originally posted by ares834
This... This is a troll post, right?

It has to be, because none of those series came even close to touching even the first book of All Star.

Old Post Feb 28th, 2018 06:32 AM
SquallX is currently offline Click here to Send SquallX a Private Message Find more posts by SquallX Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
abhilegend

Originally posted by SSJGGogeta
Morrison is okay. He has a couple good reads under his belt.

While most Mangaka's just stick to one or two series that they're known for, I could very reasonably argue plenty of them as being better authors/writers than Morrison.

Comparing All star Superman to Naruto, Attack on Titan, Seven deadly sins, etc. would literally be like comparing McDonald's to Five Guys burgers and fries. They're not in the same league. (Morrison is Peewee, Naruto is the Major Leagues)

In terms of development, story line, attention to detail, readability, etc, I can think of a number of mangakas just off the top of my head that have Morrison beat by a mile.

I guess that's mostly opinionated, but I digress.

Pax Americana alone is better than all this garbage together.

Only a bitter little adolescent boy would confuse realism with pessimism

Old Post Feb 28th, 2018 06:36 AM
abhilegend is currently offline Click here to Send abhilegend a Private Message Find more posts by abhilegend Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
krisblaze

Comparing any of the shounen boys to Morrison is laughable.

Naoki Urasawa might touch Morrison in pure quality but their work is very different. Mangaka usually have longer stints and fewer works though, not an easy comparison.

Shooter is a challenger for sure.

Ellis has 7 works but really doesn't measure up to Morrisons consistency.

Busiek? Not imo.

Thanks Estacado

Last edited by krisblaze on Feb 28th, 2018 at 07:08 AM

Old Post Feb 28th, 2018 07:05 AM
krisblaze is currently offline Click here to Send krisblaze a Private Message Find more posts by krisblaze Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
One Big Mob
I know somethin'

Hickman just in Marvel has some good works. Maybe not Morrison level but he definitely crafts a more cohesive story that makes more sense with less holes in it.

Avengers
New Avengers
Fantastic Four
Ultimate Comics
SHIELD
FF
Mojoworld

Marvel should have held onto him like grim death. I think he just left the company completely

Old Post Feb 28th, 2018 07:41 AM
One Big Mob is currently offline Click here to Send One Big Mob a Private Message Find more posts by One Big Mob Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bentley
Seitei

Osamu Tezuka is definitively in the competition.

Hellboy's best has some of the best comicbooks I've read (Three Wishes is just brilliant), Remender has some very decent stuff.

Old Post Feb 28th, 2018 08:43 AM
Bentley is online now! Click here to Send Bentley a Private Message Find more posts by Bentley Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zack M

Originally posted by One Big Mob
Hickman just in Marvel has some good works. Maybe not Morrison level but he definitely crafts a more cohesive story that makes more sense with less holes in it.

Avengers
New Avengers
Fantastic Four
Ultimate Comics
SHIELD
FF
Mojoworld

Marvel should have held onto him like grim death. I think he just left the company completely

Hickman hinted that he might write for Marvel again. Or it could be DC. He was teasing this on his Twitter.

Old Post Feb 28th, 2018 09:03 AM
Zack M is currently offline Click here to Send Zack M a Private Message Find more posts by Zack M Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
One Big Mob
I know somethin'

Originally posted by Zack M
Hickman hinted that he might write for Marvel again. Or it could be DC. He was teasing this on his Twitter.
I'd be happy with both, but Marvel really needs him more. They should give him a Johns like position. Should. I think Bendis is the Johns of Marvel though, and he can't write anymore.

Anyway, Neil Gaiman is a better writer than Morrison imo. Ignoring his novels and trying not to fill it with his Sandman limited series and assorted one shots. I'm sure others can add in books I haven't read yet.

Sandman
Death
Sandman Overture
Miracleman The Golden Age
The Books of Magic
Superman/Green Lantern Legend of the Green Flame
Black Orchid

I'd be interested to see someone do a best of J.M Dematteis, and a best list of Bendis, and a worst list of Bendis.

Old Post Feb 28th, 2018 09:56 AM
One Big Mob is currently offline Click here to Send One Big Mob a Private Message Find more posts by One Big Mob Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zack M

Originally posted by One Big Mob
I'd be happy with both, but Marvel really needs him more. They should give him a Johns like position. Should. I think Bendis is the Johns of Marvel though, and he can't write anymore.

Anyway, Neil Gaiman is a better writer than Morrison imo. Ignoring his novels and trying not to fill it with his Sandman limited series and assorted one shots. I'm sure others can add in books I haven't read yet.

Sandman
Death
Sandman Overture
Miracleman The Golden Age
The Books of Magic
Superman/Green Lantern Legend of the Green Flame
Black Orchid

I'd be interested to see someone do a best of J.M Dematteis, and a best list of Bendis, and a worst list of Bendis.

Well, here is the hint.

(please log in to view the image)

Old Post Feb 28th, 2018 10:01 AM
Zack M is currently offline Click here to Send Zack M a Private Message Find more posts by Zack M Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
krisblaze

Hickman is just what the x-men need

Thanks Estacado

Old Post Feb 28th, 2018 10:35 AM
krisblaze is currently offline Click here to Send krisblaze a Private Message Find more posts by krisblaze Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

Nice thread idea.

Gaiman and Shooter are excellent entries. I tend not to prefer Morrison to some other "greats." His great ideas are, well, great. But there are a handful of Morrison books that you need to read an interview he does explaining it later on to fully appreciate what he was trying to do. Kudos for ambition in those situations, but that's not good writing if you have to fill in relevant details outside the work itself. No doubting his brilliance, I just think he's problematic more often than some writers.

Anyway...Warren Ellis:

Planetary
The Authority (their earlier run)
Extremis
Stormwatch
Transmetropolitan
Ultimate FF V1-2
X-Men Excalibur (Marvel UK)

...I struggled to pick seven, not because seven good books of his don't exist, but there's a lot more to choose from.

Imo Ellis win over Gaiman, however barely.

Last edited by Digi on Feb 28th, 2018 at 01:58 PM

Old Post Feb 28th, 2018 01:51 PM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

And while we're at it, might as well include Moore in the running, which LoB did mention:

Saga of the Swamp Thing
Batman: The Killing Joke
Watchmen
V for Vendetta
Miracleman
Supreme
Tom Strong

...I'm not an avid Moore follower, but I do like most of the above. The last couple are guesses based on critical acclaim. I may have missed some seminal books.

Old Post Feb 28th, 2018 01:57 PM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SquallX

Originally posted by abhilegend
Pax Americana alone is better than all this garbage together.

If youíre talking about the list he made than sure. But if youíre talking mangsís in general, than no.

There are great mangakas out there.

The author for the Berserk
JoJo Bizarre
DevilMan
Fist Of The North Star
Miyazaki

These mangaka put to shame a lot of comic writers. Iíll read and reread Berserk a 1000ís times before reading anything from Hickman or Aaron.

And so much more

Old Post Feb 28th, 2018 02:00 PM
SquallX is currently offline Click here to Send SquallX a Private Message Find more posts by SquallX Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
LordofBrooklyn

Originally posted by Digi
And while we're at it, might as well include Moore in the running, which LoB did mention:

Saga of the Swamp Thing
Batman: The Killing Joke
Watchmen
V for Vendetta
Miracleman
Supreme
Tom Strong

...I'm not an avid Moore follower, but I do like most of the above. The last couple are guesses based on critical acclaim. I may have missed some seminal books.

I SAID NO MOORE!!!

Old Post Feb 28th, 2018 02:29 PM
LordofBrooklyn is currently offline Click here to Send LordofBrooklyn a Private Message Find more posts by LordofBrooklyn Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

{edit} Lost my edit window on the above. Meant to say Ellis > Morrison, not Gaiman, though he's my favorite of the bunch overall, so both statements remain valid. All are excellent, though, of course.

Also, you did say Moore's status was "up for grabs" so you were practically begging for a comparison to Morrison.

Old Post Feb 28th, 2018 02:34 PM
krisblaze

Really?

Because the writer for berserk basically did a year of nothing but double page splashes and no content.

Its a different beast for sure but its been nearly 10 years since Berserk was good.

Thanks Estacado

Old Post Feb 28th, 2018 03:05 PM
deathslash
Lord Commander

Originally posted by SquallX
If youíre talking about the list he made than sure. But if youíre talking mangsís in general, than no.

There are great mangakas out there.

The author for the Berserk
JoJo Bizarre
DevilMan
Fist Of The North Star
Miyazaki

These mangaka put to shame a lot of comic writers. Iíll read and reread Berserk a 1000ís times before reading anything from Hickman or Aaron.

And so much more
(please log in to view the image)

Old Post Feb 28th, 2018 03:17 PM
deathslash is currently offline Click here to Send deathslash a Private Message Find more posts by deathslash Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

Stan Lee

Do I really need to list books? In unrelated news, he's apparently battling pneumonia atm, and at his age...let's hope this doesn't turn into a tribute thread in the next 48 hours or so.

Old Post Feb 28th, 2018 04:20 PM
leonidas
MWHAHAHAHA!

i haven't followed this thread but along those lines kirby cannot possibly be left out of any list of the greatest writers. his best could stand up with anyone and the list of his achievements is lonngggg... and gardner fox. hard to measure the impact his ideas had on dc cosmology. the implications of his original flash stories were basically setting the stage for....all the crises that followed.

Old Post Feb 28th, 2018 04:36 PM
leonidas is online now! Click here to Send leonidas a Private Message Find more posts by leonidas Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote