KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » Darth Vader #12

Darth Vader #12
Started by: Galan007

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Galan007
|Imperial Tactician|

Darth Vader #12

"A great tactician creates plans.
A good tactician recognizes the soundness of a plan presented to him.
A fair tactician must see the plan succeed before offering approval.
Those with no tactical ability at all may never understand or accept the plan.
And when a mind is too deficient in understanding, the resulting gap is often filled with resentment."

-Thrawn

Old Post Feb 28th, 2018 03:45 PM
Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Imperial Tactician|

Darth Vader (2/2):
(please log in to view the image) (please log in to view the image) (please log in to view the image) (please log in to view the image) (please log in to view the image)

(please log in to view the image) (please log in to view the image) (please log in to view the image) (please log in to view the image) (please log in to view the image)

-Vader creates his 'classic' lightsaber.
-Sheev makes Vader's rank/status within the Imperial hierarchy official... Though Tarkin was still intentionally left out of Vader's 'jurisdiction'.
-Vader cleans house.

And when a mind is too deficient in understanding, the resulting gap is often filled with resentment."

-Thrawn

Last edited by Galan007 on Feb 28th, 2018 at 03:49 PM

Old Post Feb 28th, 2018 03:46 PM
Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ares834
Knight of Ren

ares834 is online now!

Nice to see Vader being confirmed as numero 2 in the Empire. thumb up

Old Post Feb 28th, 2018 03:51 PM
Click here to Send ares834 a Private Message Find more posts by ares834 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Imperial Tactician|

Sheev still explicitly told Vader that Tarkin was off-limits... Which coincides with what we already knew: Vader commands ALL within the Empire, except for Tarkin.

-Thrawn

Old Post Feb 28th, 2018 03:54 PM
ares834
Knight of Ren

ares834 is online now!

Well Palpatine is talking about killing Tarkin here. But, yes, Vader apparently can not give Tarkin commands by the time of Rebels/ANH.

Old Post Feb 28th, 2018 04:01 PM
Click here to Send ares834 a Private Message Find more posts by ares834 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zenwolf

Still nice, again I hate the Inquisitor. Though I can't say I really like how they are doing Vader character wise, killing officers just because of some conspiracy.

Old Post Feb 28th, 2018 04:01 PM
Click here to Send Zenwolf a Private Message Find more posts by Zenwolf Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Imperial Tactician|

quote: (post)
Originally posted by ares834
Well Palpatine is talking about killing Tarkin here. But, yes, Vader apparently can not give Tarkin commands by the time of Rebels/ANH.
thumb up

I was just glad they were consistent about Tarkin's role. I mean, Palpatine essentially told Vader that he could kill *anyone* in the Empire, except Tarkin(because he's too much of an asset.) And as you mentioned: this was before Tarkin had attained his Grand Moff status.

Originally posted by Zenwolf
Still nice, again I hate the Inquisitor. Though I can't say I really like how they are doing Vader character wise, killing officers just because of some conspiracy.
I'm not in love with his depiction thus far either.

I keep reminding myself that this series is set just a few weeks/months after RotS, so this is a very young/immature/emotional Vader, who is still trying to prove himself to everyone around him -- he's still a kid, ffs.

...So I'm trying to give his characterization the benefit of the doubt in that regard.

-Thrawn

Last edited by Galan007 on Feb 28th, 2018 at 04:11 PM

Old Post Feb 28th, 2018 04:09 PM
Zenwolf

Originally posted by Galan007
thumb up

I was just glad they were consistent about Tarkin's role. I mean, Palpatine essentially told Vader that he could kill *anyone* in the Empire, except Tarkin(because he's too much of an asset.) And as you mentioned: this was before Tarkin had attained his Grand Moff status.

I'm not in love with his depiction thus far either.

I keep reminding myself that this series is set just a few weeks/months after RotS, so this is a very young/immature/emotional Vader, who is still trying to prove himself to everyone around him -- he's still a kid, ffs.

...So I'm trying to give his characterization the benefit of the doubt in that regard.

I mean that's all well and good if it's shortly after Mustafar, but there could be better ways of getting his point across. I dunno, maybe its Legends creeping up where he still has issues, it just wasn't so on the nose.

Old Post Feb 28th, 2018 05:01 PM
Click here to Send Zenwolf a Private Message Find more posts by Zenwolf Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kurk
Gone, But Never Forgotten

Funny thing is Tarkin might know who Vader really is given his history with Anakin in TCW. I think he's smart enough to figure it out eventually. It most be tormenting to Vader not being able to kill him.

"When something is important enough, you do it even if the odds are not in your favor." - Elon Musk

Old Post Feb 28th, 2018 05:12 PM
Click here to Send Kurk a Private Message Find more posts by Kurk Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ares834
Knight of Ren

ares834 is online now!

He figures it out in the Tarkin novel. And I doubt Vader would care. Maybe at this time (shortly after RotS) he might, but it seems the two of them have a mutual respect for one another.

Old Post Feb 28th, 2018 05:23 PM
Kurk
Gone, But Never Forgotten

My thoughts while reading:

1. wtf? The inquisitor is a she? And I thought Ziro the Hutt's mom was gross. I do love the insolent comments about vader from her though.

2. Nice to see that Vader still retains his piloting skill

3. Meditation scenes are different to say the least

4. What would a new edition of the Vader comic be without wasteful killing of innocents or potential-filled imperial officers. Great way to run a military, right? They all fear you, but any spark of creativity or innovation is crushed at the fear of standing out of line.

5. Also, why say that anything out of Vader = Emperor's command? What Vader chooses to execute some meticulous plan to overthrow him lol?

"When something is important enough, you do it even if the odds are not in your favor." - Elon Musk

Old Post Feb 28th, 2018 05:26 PM
Click here to Send Kurk a Private Message Find more posts by Kurk Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Imperial Tactician|

Originally posted by Kurk
Funny thing is Tarkin might know who Vader really is given his history with Anakin in TCW. I think he's smart enough to figure it out eventually. It most be tormenting to Vader not being able to kill him.
In the Tarkin novelization, it was heavily implied that Tarkin had deduced Vader's true identity, but never came out and said it.

And I don't think Vader had any ill-intent toward Tarkin. Granted, it's set later in the timeline, but the same novel alluded to a mutual respect existing between them. /shrug

{edit}
ares ninja'd my ass. laughing out loud

-Thrawn

Last edited by Galan007 on Feb 28th, 2018 at 05:29 PM

Old Post Feb 28th, 2018 05:27 PM
Galan007
|Imperial Tactician|

Originally posted by Kurk
3. Meditation scenes are different to say the least
Yeah, they're pretty abstract, to say the least...

When we first saw his meditation visions a few issues back, I was left wondering what those little white butterfly-looking things were. This issue answered that question, as they evidently represented the last remaining flickers of good within Vader, as he snuffed them out in the final meditation sequence, just after Palpatine officially gave him Imperial power/rank and he slaughtered the officers.

-Thrawn

Old Post Feb 28th, 2018 05:33 PM
DarthPlaguis12

It's kinda sad how Tarkin is thought of as such an asset yet they kill him off in episode 4.

Old Post Mar 2nd, 2018 05:48 AM
Click here to Send DarthPlaguis12 a Private Message Find more posts by DarthPlaguis12 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
relentless1
Dark Overlord of KMC

Originally posted by DarthPlaguis12
It's kinda sad how Tarkin is thought of as such an asset yet they kill him off in episode 4.

in the long story Tarkin serves as anti Joseph to Palpatines anti Jesus if you will. He makes the same mistake Sidious does later on; hes smarter than everyone else in the room but he still cant let go of his own hubris at the end of the day... Tarkin thought the Death Star was indestructible just like Palpatine thought the Dark Side was irresistible and they both died for their oversights.

Old Post Mar 3rd, 2018 10:33 AM
Click here to Send relentless1 a Private Message Find more posts by relentless1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote