KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » why TLJ WAS NOT a movie of feminism or equality

why TLJ WAS NOT a movie of feminism or equality
Started by: aalyasecura95

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (5): « First ... « 3 4 [5]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Sin I AM
Madame Mort

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Haschwalth
Aayla, you need to stop thinking from a group(Race/Sex) Identity ideological perspective.
Black people can think the same as white people ideologically, and disagree with other black/white peoples ideological positions.

Same with women, everyone can have a different view point regardless of Gender/Race.

Focusing on ones Race/Sex should be the last thing you do.

Tell me, how many minorities per say have complained about the original trilogy not being diverse enough? Ad don't bring up the SJW minority, they don't count.(as they complain about everything, and don't convey the beliefs of the vast Majority of people)

good post. only part i disagree with is the last. alot of minorities do wish for minorties in SWs just not in the form that was depicted. everything else waa pretty spot on.

Old Post Mar 9th, 2018 02:54 PM
Click here to Send Sin I AM a Private Message Find more posts by Sin I AM Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zentrex
Hi!

Originally posted by Haschwalth
Aayla, you need to stop thinking from a group(Race/Sex) Identity ideological perspective.
Black people can think the same as white people ideologically, and disagree with other black/white peoples ideological positions.

Same with women, everyone can have a different view point regardless of Gender/Race.

Focusing on ones Race/Sex should be the last thing you do.

Tell me, how many minorities per say have complained about the original trilogy not being diverse enough? Ad don't bring up the SJW minority, they don't count.(as they complain about everything, and don't convey the beliefs of the vast Majority of people)

thumb up thumb up thumb up thumb up thumb up thumb up thumb up

Old Post Mar 11th, 2018 04:09 AM
Click here to Send Zentrex a Private Message Find more posts by Zentrex Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zentrex
Hi!

Originally posted by aalyasecura95
um excuse me??? i have responded to posts that have addressed the post such as nephthys who actually seemed to understand feminism and made some good inputs. however many here seemed to hate on feminism without justification and i am asking them to educate themselves so they can engage with the thread.

You assume (wrongly) that we're not familiar with feminist theory, which is why we disagree with you. Many people on this post have already told you 1. that people can have different opinions even if they have the same data available to them, so disagreement is not a sign of uneducation, and 2. that this isn't the best post to be posting this, as the vast majority already strongly disagree with your opinions, which we've all heard before.

quote:
most of the hate against anita sarkeesian is based on propaganda spread via gamergate trolls and by male youtubers who had videos which pretended to debunk her but actually massively misrepresented her positions. most of her critics also do not seem to understand the theories behind her critiques which would explain why they react negatively to them. i have spoken to many anti-feminists and that is my takeaway.

Well, don't apply what you think to be true of some people to all who believe the same things as them. And we understand her theories, the whole patriarchy theory, and the male gaze, and all that, it's just that we disagree with these theories, especially because they've never been considered by anyone but feminists. They reek of bias. And here's a video you might like: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AiOLkY5Spaw

quote:
okay they were trying to push equality but as i said there were many elements that were unsatisfactory from a feminist perspective. that is not 'overanalyzing', imo, just looking at SW through another lens. a truly inclusive movie would have looked a lot different from what we got and that is my criticism. of course the movie made some steps forward but not enough. keep in mind that star wars has been dominated by white male characters for years and it is really up to disney to start making amends and including their entire audience in the franchise

They were unsatisfacroty because anything can be unsatisfactory depending on how you look at it. It IS overanalyzing, since none of what you mentioned was intentional, or would have effected anyone if YOU hadn't noticed it.

quote:
now you may ask why it is a job for a movie to be inclusive and take these steps towards equality and get involved in this sort of stuff? well movies and other media are ultimately a reflection of our society and have effects on our children. just look at the recent inspiring black panther movie which resonated with many black ppl and made them feel empowered. it got a lot of money for a reason and that is because minorities have been longing for representation in media and are now starting to get it.

Once again, people would not notice any of this if they just stopped thinking about it. You're making an even bigger problem by thinking that skin color and gender is somehow a giant part of someone's identity and the representation of someone of the same gender or race in a movie is a representation of that entire gender of race in real life.

Old Post Mar 11th, 2018 04:20 AM
Click here to Send Zentrex a Private Message Find more posts by Zentrex Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote