KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movies » Movie Discussion » Movie Versus Forum » Wonder Woman vs. Human Torch

Wonder Woman vs. Human Torch
Started by: carthage

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (5): « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
KingD19
Shai-Gen's Enigmatic Wong

Even 2015 Torch had a takeoff speed of 2000 meters in 6 seconds. That's 894mph from taking off.

Old Post Mar 11th, 2018 01:18 AM
KingD19 is currently offline Click here to Send KingD19 a Private Message Find more posts by KingD19 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Silent Master

Hasn't H1 claimed to be a math teacher?

I don't know why some of you are going on about being right and winning. Rob and Impediment were in on this gag because I PMed them. Silent and Rao PMed me and figured I changed the post. I highly doubt anybody thought Quan made the post, but simply played along just for the lulz.

Old Post Mar 11th, 2018 01:33 AM
Silent Master is currently offline Click here to Send Silent Master a Private Message Find more posts by Silent Master Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nibedicus
Gaming addict

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Silent Master
Your 11,000mph is on the low end. I kept getting around 15 miles when marking the map and so came up with about 15,500mph

Yeah, it was a very low end estimate. stick out tongue

Old Post Mar 11th, 2018 01:43 AM
Nibedicus is currently offline Click here to Send Nibedicus a Private Message Find more posts by Nibedicus Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
TheVaultDweller
Front line cannon fodder

^^ Yup, but it is also consistent with an average travel speed of around Mach 14.5, as the speed won't be totally consistent depending on their surroundings they are moving through. You also have other visual cues, like from 1:45 , where you can see their speed relative to the landmass below them (without even needing to check specific distance, though you can, as you have already proved). To claim that that's 100mph tops is just cringe-worthy.

But of course H1 will apply the complete and utter opposite standard he applies to guys like Miyagi, the Watchmen, Nolanverse characters etc. and used a massively low-balled eye-estimation based on his view of HT's visual speed to judge him.

Last edited by TheVaultDweller on Mar 11th, 2018 at 04:07 AM

Old Post Mar 11th, 2018 04:02 AM
TheVaultDweller is currently offline Click here to Send TheVaultDweller a Private Message Find more posts by TheVaultDweller Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
TheVaultDweller
Front line cannon fodder

Look up, Nib easily calculated a top speed of 11,000mph using what we see onscreen.

How is it a math teacher couldn't figure that out?

I highly doubt he even made any effort to try and do so. Just decided to do his usual thing of massively lowballing the side he is against and expecting no one to question him.

Old Post Mar 11th, 2018 04:05 AM
TheVaultDweller is currently offline Click here to Send TheVaultDweller a Private Message Find more posts by TheVaultDweller Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
h1a8

Originally posted by Nibedicus

Well, the best indicator of speed would be the uncut, unsped portion of the chase at 1:44-1:47.

Which starts somewhere over Floyd Bennet Field in Brooklyn @ 1:44.

And cuts out at near Monsignor Rd in Staten Island. @ 1:47

According to the map I am viewing, this is around 12-15 miles in a straight line.

That’s over (on the very lowballed end) 3 miles per second. Or around 11k+ mph (Mach 14).

Someone_

I believe they exceeded the speed of sound in that particular scene. But their images were large in comparison to the land shown. So the perspective shows that they covered less distance and hence were traveling much slower. But I stand corrected.

-General Zod: Superman II

Old Post Mar 11th, 2018 04:54 PM
h1a8 is currently offline Click here to Send h1a8 a Private Message Find more posts by h1a8 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

When it comes to the supernova I don't think he can do it instantly.

Old Post Mar 11th, 2018 04:59 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
h1a8

Originally posted by TheVaultDweller
I highly doubt he even made any effort to try and do so. Just decided to do his usual thing of massively lowballing the side he is against and expecting no one to question him.
If you see 99% of the scenes then you would see speeds far under the speed of sound.

But good way to derail the argument. Remember it was about his reactions? He never dodged anything moving at those speeds in that scene.

The scenes were he dodged then he had a second or more to react.

Old Post Mar 11th, 2018 05:36 PM
h1a8 is currently offline Click here to Send h1a8 a Private Message Find more posts by h1a8 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Silent Master

Originally posted by h1a8
I believe they exceeded the speed of sound in that particular scene. But their images were large in comparison to the land shown. So the perspective shows that they covered less distance and hence were traveling much slower. But I stand corrected.

Ok, how fast do you think they were going in that scene?

I don't know why some of you are going on about being right and winning. Rob and Impediment were in on this gag because I PMed them. Silent and Rao PMed me and figured I changed the post. I highly doubt anybody thought Quan made the post, but simply played along just for the lulz.

Old Post Mar 11th, 2018 06:17 PM
Silent Master is currently offline Click here to Send Silent Master a Private Message Find more posts by Silent Master Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
h1a8

Ok, how fast do you think they were going in that scene?

I have no idea. But definitely faster than sound.

But the showing has no bearing on his reactions?

Old Post Mar 11th, 2018 07:19 PM
Silent Master

Why don't you have an idea, you can clearly see how far they travelled on the map.

Old Post Mar 11th, 2018 07:34 PM
Nibedicus
Gaming addict

It’s just h1 trying to come up with something (anything) to muddy up the “showing” so he doesn’t have to accept the values presented.

Everyone here knows that he doesn’t know how or even IF the “perspetive” would affect distances involved (it doesn’t, or has so little bearing in this case that it is irrelevant, as the movement, distance covered and map position is consistent). He is then pushing the debate towards a different direction so he doesn’t have to admit how absoultely dead wrong he was.

It is a cheap tactic borne out of desperation.

Old Post Mar 11th, 2018 11:27 PM
Nibedicus is currently offline Click here to Send Nibedicus a Private Message Find more posts by Nibedicus Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Silent Master

It’s just h1 trying to come up with something (anything) to muddy up the “showing” so he doesn’t have to accept the values presented.

Everyone here knows that he doesn’t know how or even IF the “perspetive” would affect distances involved (it doesn’t, or has so little bearing in this case that it is irrelevant, as the movement, distance covered and map position is consistent). He is then pushing the debate towards a different direction so he doesn’t have to admit how absoultely dead wrong he was.

It is a cheap tactic borne out of desperation.

Since he's saying that our numbers are wrong, I want him to give an exact number. That way we can fact check it.

Otherwise all he's doing is going "That number hurts my argument, thus I don't accept it".

Old Post Mar 11th, 2018 11:36 PM
Nibedicus
Gaming addict

Since he's saying that our numbers are wrong, I want him to give an exact number. That way we can fact check it.

Otherwise all he's doing is going "That number hurts my argument, thus I don't accept it".

Yup, exactly what he is doing.

Old Post Mar 12th, 2018 12:09 AM
TheVaultDweller
Front line cannon fodder

So, standard H1 tactics then?

It's hilarious, really. And, surprise, surprise, (okay, not surprising at all) massively hypocritical. He dismisses numbers drawn from available screen info, where people even show how they reach their answer. Yet he is constantly pulling numbers out of his ass in various threads, and he never provides any proper workings or methods as to how he reaches any of them. He just throws them out and expects people to accept them, and when they don't, he claims his numbers are "common sense" and that they are idiots for disagreeing. And then demand that they prove a negative to his unproven claim. I have seen this happen too many times to count at this point.

Old Post Mar 12th, 2018 02:20 AM
h1a8

Why don't you have an idea, you can clearly see how far they travelled on the map.

No we don't. Their sprites were large in comparison to the land. That means they traveled less distance than you think. So It could be calculated to near accuracy yes. But it is not pertinent to do so.

Last edited by h1a8 on Mar 12th, 2018 at 12:26 PM

Old Post Mar 12th, 2018 12:23 PM
h1a8

I agreed that it was faster than sound.
But not pertinent to the discussion.

That should be the end of it. Further discussion about that is derailing the thread. As it stands WW wins.

Old Post Mar 12th, 2018 12:24 PM
Nibedicus
Gaming addict

No we don't. Their sprites were large in comparison to the land. That means they traveled less distance than you think.

Present calcs to prove assertion. Else, withdraw claim.

Old Post Mar 12th, 2018 12:49 PM
h1a8

Present calcs to prove assertion. Else, withdraw claim.

So if a character is shown from a perspective to be the size of a city block then you are telling me we can use their visual location in relation to the land as accurate?

My fingertip moves across the sun from my perspective. Does that mean my fingertip actually moved the radius of the sun?
No because from my perspective, my fingertip was larger than normal in comparison to the sun.

SS and HT sprites were large in comparison to the land they traversed. If the unit width of SS sprite is 3ft. Then how many units did SS travel in that scene? That's how you would accurately calculate it.

Last edited by h1a8 on Mar 12th, 2018 at 02:12 PM

Old Post Mar 12th, 2018 02:07 PM
Nibedicus
Gaming addict

So if a character is shown from a perspective to be the size of a city block then you are telling me we can use their visual location in relation to the land as accurate?

My fingertip moves across the sun from my perspective. Does that mean my fingertip actually moved the radius of the sun?
No because from my perspective, my fingertip was larger than normal in comparison to the sun.

SS and HT sprites were large in comparison to the land they traversed. If the unit width of SS sprite is 3ft. Then how many units did SS travel in that scene? That's how you would accurately calculate it.

You do not know exactly how the perspectives demonstrated by object size affects distance traveled (or even the physical laws involved in such phenomena) or even if such is applicable in this case as you do not know how far they are from the ground nor do you know how far the camera is from the objects and the ground, (it certainly isn’t your finger in relation to the sun) so any quantitative claim on your part is speculative and simply a desperate attempt to muddy the “feat” because you are too dishonest to admit that you simply pulled the “100 mph” value out of your butt in yet another lowball attempt but get caught again due to your poor research skills.

Old Post Mar 12th, 2018 03:30 PM