KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book 'Versus' Forum » hawksmoor and magneto v zod

hawksmoor and magneto v zod
Started by: leonidas

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): « 1 [2]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Philosophía
"The devil made me do it"

@leo
If we're getting into the specifics of the planet itself, then I can't talk about this, since I just assumed it was some kind of generic mecha planet, and that's it. No advance tech and stuff for them to use. I don't read Transformers.

I agree that Magneto could do something [certainly more than Jack] but, as in the talk with Digi, it assumes that Zod doesn't actually do the smart thing, go into orbit, and starts slamming into Magneto until he's dust. Jean was literally standing in front of him, trying to blast him, and Magneto had ample time to try his tactic. Zod doesn't afford him that luxury, on a logical basis. What's stopping Zod from grabbing Jack by the neck at lightspeed+ by locating him from orbit with his senses, and throwing him into the sun, for example?

I mean, I can list a dozens of Magneto's abilities that he can do [and like you said, I know him], but none of them would work against somebody who can just fly at lightspeed out of the planet, then come back and pulverize him into atoms.

“Perhaps this is the ultimate freedom. The freedom to leave.”

Last edited by Philosophía on Mar 8th, 2018 at 04:32 PM

Old Post Mar 8th, 2018 04:29 PM
Philosophía is currently offline Click here to Send Philosophía a Private Message Find more posts by Philosophía Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

@ the orders of magnitude comment, we're assuming he's in control of Cybertron, yeah? Where's the major difference? The planet is massive. Yes, Jack's topped out at doing this at city-level, because he's never been on a world-city (though, again, his creators WERE on a world-city and could control it). And the gravity powers are well established. He basically turned gravity off in a major Earth city at one point, to the point where he was almost flying, and we know his power scales with city size. So there's a tiny bit of speculation. But if you think it's outlandish given his established abilities and origins, I think you're being unfair.

quote: (post)
Originally posted by One Big Mob
Ok.

So where would you place Hawksmoor's technopathy(citypathy?) in comparison to Cyborg Superman and how would they differ? What could Cyborg Superman do for example with this planet that Hawksmoor couldn't, and vice versa?

Almost an impossible question to answer. Hawksmoor isn't a traditional technopath, though. Hell, he has stories referring to cities as people or pseudo-lovers. The winds through the city whisper crimes to him. He can look remotely through windowpanes on the other end of a city. It's much more esoteric. Lacking definitive terminology, he connects to cities on almost a conceptual level, and it's no mistake that Ellis gave him the title "God of Cities" in the Authority book.

Last edited by Digi on Mar 8th, 2018 at 05:00 PM

Old Post Mar 8th, 2018 04:54 PM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
leonidas
MWHAHAHAHA!

quote:
If we're getting into the specifics of the planet itself, then I can't talk about this, since I just assumed it was some kind of generic mecha planet, and that's it. No advance tech and stuff for them to use. I don't read Transformers.

lol no need to. just letting you know it's a HUGE mecha-planet.

quote:
I agree that Magneto could do something [certainly more than Jack] but, as in the talk with Digi, it assumes that Zod doesn't actually do the smart thing, go into orbit, and starts slamming into Magneto until he's dust. Jean was literally standing in front of him, trying to blast him, and Magneto had ample time to try his tactic. Zod doesn't afford him that luxury, on a logical basis. What's stopping Zod from grabbing Jack by the neck at lightspeed+ by locating him from orbit with his senses, and throwing him into the sun, for example?

well, in jack's case he can go intangible or port through the city. but i'm also not sure how in character that sort of attack would be for zod. he's so arrogant, i can't really see him running into orbit at light speed then charging back at light speed--if that would benefit him. between gravity and control of the em spectrum they could also logically slow him down some i think.

quote:
I mean, I can list a dozens of Magneto's abilities that he can do [and like you said, I know him], but none of them would work against somebody who can just fly at lightspeed out of the planet, then come back and pulverize him into atoms.

i think if they can slow him down or they would have time to explore more esoteric options though. /shrug

Old Post Mar 8th, 2018 05:06 PM
leonidas is currently offline Click here to Send leonidas a Private Message Find more posts by leonidas Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Philosophía
"The devil made me do it"

@leo

So basically we're disagreeing on how Zod would act, not the efficiency of the attacks. If he'd be very objective in his approach to win, or if his ego would lead him to go the path of staying there and slugging it out etc. I think this is too subjective to really argue, so I guess we can randomly take an x/10 times he'd do this, and that, so whatever. I grossly disagree, and think you're underestimating Zod's tactical accument (which is REALLY good in current Zod), and that he'd be really stupid not to go the most efficient way, but to each his own.

About the phasing, though..Jack himself doesn't phase, it's the materials that he makes intangible, does he not?
https://imgur.com/ud0XTYW

So it wouldn't help him at all. He's still tangible, and Zod would simply fly through whatever material is in front of him like air, given his capabilities, and overhwelm Jack, throw him inside a star, snap his neck, heat vision his eyes etc.

@digi
quote:
and the gravity powers are well established. He basically turned gravity off in a major Earth city at one point, to the point where he was almost flying

Like I said, digi, we have orders of magnitude. What you're doing here is basically saying that since Daredevil can flip a car, he's comparable to Hulk. I'm not exagerating once you look at the numbers. There's orders of magnitude to this stuff. Suspending gravity is going from 1G to 0G. You're saying he's comparable to Mogo, who was able to overpower Green Lanterns who regulary fly through suns and black holes:
https://imgur.com/a/al2vj

The difference is literally in orders of magnitude. Billions and billions of times greater manipulation of gravity. Even if we assume his local control of gravity is greater in this environment [and I'd need proof of this, wouldn't he have a BIGGER SURFACE to modify the gravity of, thus need greater power so it balances out?] the scale you'd need to prove that it would even affect Zod's hair, nevermind even slow him down, is impossible. "Can manipulate gravity" is like "he has super strength" or "super speed". There's a difference between Luke Cage and Superman. There's a difference between Flash and Speed Demon. And Jack certainly doesn't have the feats to say he'd even make Zod notice.

“Perhaps this is the ultimate freedom. The freedom to leave.”

Last edited by Philosophía on Mar 8th, 2018 at 09:35 PM

Old Post Mar 8th, 2018 09:29 PM
Philosophía is currently offline Click here to Send Philosophía a Private Message Find more posts by Philosophía Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote