KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Franchises » More Movie Forums » The Matrix Movies » Christ-Neo

Christ-Neo
Started by: Stovenutts

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (4): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Stovenutts
My fez is familiar?

Christ-Neo

After the first few times i saw the Matrix, i've noticed things probably alot of people have noticed: the similarity of Neo to Christ.
Lets look at Neo's real name, Thomas Anderson. The name "Thomas" can be linked to "Doubting Thomas", in that Neo never really believed that he was The One. "Anderson" is a play on "Son of Man", where the 'Ander-' finds its origins in the New Testament Greek root "andros"meaning man. Christ is the "Son of Man".
"Neo" means "new"
"Neo" Anderson = New Son of Man

Old Post Jun 7th, 2003 02:57 AM
Stovenutts is currently offline Click here to Send Stovenutts a Private Message Find more posts by Stovenutts Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Neo_77
Welcome to the Real World

Lets look at Neo's real name, Thomas Anderson. The name "Thomas" can be linked to "Doubting Thomas", in that Neo never really believed that he was The One. "Anderson" is a play on "Son of Man", where the 'Ander-' finds its origins in the New Testament Greek root "andros"meaning man. Christ is the "Son of Man".
"Neo" means "new"
"Neo" Anderson = New Son of Man [/B][/QUOTE]

The makers of the Matrix do not claim the Christian faith at all. Quite the opposite; they claim to be post modernists, meaning that they believe in a universal faith that if there is a Heaven, then all roads will take us there. In spite of that, however, the biblical parallels are too obvious to ignore. Humanity is in bondage, and there are prophecies of an almighty 'One' who will come free them if they accept what he has to offer. Neo dies and resurrects himself. The parallels are all over, but in the end, the overpowering theme is "freedom" as opposed to rules. The Matrix is teaching that rules only bring us down, and that if we truly free our minds, then we will understand that rules can be bent and broken, and we through that can reach our full potential. Why the Christian parallels are there I do not know, but I do know that the creators are not intending to promote Christianity, unless their views have changed since the last time I heard about it.

Old Post Jun 7th, 2003 03:29 AM
Neo_77 is currently offline Click here to Send Neo_77 a Private Message Find more posts by Neo_77 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kes
Philie

They do have alot of stuff from the bible!

Old Post Jun 7th, 2003 03:39 AM
Kes is currently offline Click here to Send Kes a Private Message Find more posts by Kes Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
princess leia
trinity ;)

i agree they have used a lot of stuff from the bible. for instance the name of the hovercraft in the first movie, the name of the city, zion. the idea of an originally perfect matrix then it turned bad.
i think, though, that they may have just used them because they think they are good names and stuff, and i dont think that neo is saying 'new'. i think they just rearranged the letters in 'one'.
although that is very good logic about neo and anderson. i wouldnt have thought of it.

~*a woman who strives to be equal with men lacks ambition*~
-_-|Co- owner of the Baileys Vat. Co-Founder of the Baileys Club|-_-
-_-|Bar-girl at the tavern|-_-
-_-|wears gold metal bikini, will give bikini huggles if you poke nicely|-_-
-_-|try covering me with chocolate|-_-
happy rules:
-->there is no giant foot trying to squash me.
-->there is no such thing as aliens.
-->even though i may ignite, i probably wont.

Old Post Jun 7th, 2003 05:10 AM
princess leia is currently offline Click here to Send princess leia a Private Message Find more posts by princess leia Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
alaba
THE ONE

yep..morpheous teaches about faith..beleiving in oneself 'you have to let it all go neo, fear doubt disbelief, free your mind...thats faith!

Old Post Jun 7th, 2003 08:04 AM
alaba is currently offline Click here to Send alaba a Private Message Find more posts by alaba Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Stovenutts
My fez is familiar?

also u can see that the crew of the nebuchadnezzer seems to represent Jesus' 12 desciples. Morpheous also represents Peter, the desciple that Jesus gave the keys to heaven to- even though Neo didn't give them to morpheous, morpheous did have the access codes to the zion maneframe.Zion is a haven to all who are free and in a way he had the keys

Old Post Jun 7th, 2003 04:36 PM
Stovenutts is currently offline Click here to Send Stovenutts a Private Message Find more posts by Stovenutts Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
trav6612
She is Hot

I think that the W. Brothers put those symbolism in there for a reason. Just like everything else in the matrix, there is something beyond what it seems. I don't think they put it into promote christianity, but I think they put it in for a reason. What reason? I am open for ideas?

Old Post Jun 7th, 2003 05:46 PM
trav6612 is currently offline Click here to Send trav6612 a Private Message Find more posts by trav6612 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kes
Philie

well they could be clues as to what happens next, but not every body is gonne get it! like all I got was the Neo being the same letters for one and that morpheous is the god of dreams from freek mithologi thats about it. Oh and that Cypher sounds kinda like lucifer.

Old Post Jun 7th, 2003 06:04 PM
Kes is currently offline Click here to Send Kes a Private Message Find more posts by Kes Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kes
Philie

lol not freek ...greek man lol big grin big grin *laughing my head of*

Old Post Jun 7th, 2003 06:05 PM
alaba
THE ONE

trav6612, they definitely didnt put it all together to promote christianity, well not conciously though..you know the bible said god could raise stones to worship him if men don't, so see this as a means to an end..god does work in mysterious ways and he'll get his kingdom preached one way or another.....ha ha!

Old Post Jun 7th, 2003 06:38 PM
alaba is currently offline Click here to Send alaba a Private Message Find more posts by alaba Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
trav6612
She is Hot

That is one funky way to preach, don't ya think?

Old Post Jun 7th, 2003 07:51 PM
trav6612 is currently offline Click here to Send trav6612 a Private Message Find more posts by trav6612 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Stovenutts
My fez is familiar?

hey princess leia... neo does mean new

Old Post Jun 7th, 2003 07:54 PM
Stovenutts
My fez is familiar?

i think Neo will end up dying as a sacrafice in the third movie if all this stuff is foreshadowing.

Old Post Jun 7th, 2003 07:58 PM
trav6612
She is Hot

It oculd be, but to what end would he die? To save mankind? or to end the matrix?

Old Post Jun 7th, 2003 09:16 PM
Stovenutts
My fez is familiar?

Hmmm, thats a good question trav.

Old Post Jun 7th, 2003 09:25 PM
Stovenutts
My fez is familiar?

Does anybody else feel that the architech was sortof like God. God the father, Neo is the son, who represents the other part of the trinity- the holy spirit?

Old Post Jun 7th, 2003 09:27 PM
trav6612
She is Hot

I would say, if you want to make that analogy, the oracle, because she was the guide for Neo along the way, as the Holy spirit is for us on the earth, a guide.

Old Post Jun 7th, 2003 10:08 PM
Skittles19
***** what?

The Wachowski bros. use ideas and symbols from a variety of religions and beleif systems... if they intended neo to be a Christ-like figure.. I don't think they're doing a good job... Christ is supposed to be w/ out sin... hmmm Neo harldy fits that description... not that I don't like neo.. I just think his character is not even worthy of a Christ-like parallel smile

Maybe more of a superman :P

Old Post Jun 7th, 2003 11:13 PM
Skittles19 is currently offline Click here to Send Skittles19 a Private Message Find more posts by Skittles19 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Omega
Z10N0101

The films have stuff from Zen-Buddhism, Greek and Roman mythology, Islam, Christianity and probably a handful other religion.
So it’s somewhat of a hi-jacking of the Matrix mythology, to claim it’s Christian.
More than anything the elusive Wachowski Brothers are using the old-fashioned heros quest, a good deal of cyberpunk, some eastern spirituality about the world being an illusion etc. It’s actually more Buddhistic than Christian, with the entire “the world is not real” issue, “free your mind”, and Neo being someone to lift the veil.

"I just thought you were a guy."
"... Most guys do."

Old Post Jun 8th, 2003 04:01 AM
The Omega is currently offline Click here to Send The Omega a Private Message Find more posts by The Omega Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Stovenutts
My fez is familiar?

Well, you cant just say its Buddhistic because they say "the world is not real". The bible tells us that we are all "not of this world"and that the World is just a temporary place and that if we "free our minds",in that we put all faith in God we will live eternity in Heaven.

Old Post Jun 8th, 2003 04:39 AM