KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » Shado Vao is better than we thought

Shado Vao is better than we thought
Started by: ILS

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
ILS
Restricted

Account Restricted

Shado Vao is better than we thought

"Kol Skywalker's former padawan, Shado has honed his martial skills and has yet to find his equal with a lightsaber."

--Star Wars: Legacy #0.5 (Jan 2, 2008, circa Legacy #18-19)

https://static.comicvine.com/upload...456-vs+vong.png
https://static.comicvine.com/upload...57-vs+vong2.png
https://static.comicvine.com/upload...59-vs+vong3.png
https://static.comicvine.com/upload...62-vs+vong6.png

Ostrander believes Shado has a "real good chance" of beating Cade in a lightsaber duel.

https://imgur.com/a/m4UsG

So Shado is a better lightsaber duelist than the Cade who was just about to kick Nihl's ass and take on Vong Krayt. He's also better than Talon. Seems to be much weaker in the Force though, since he was taken out by both Cade and Talon with it.

I found it interesting how Ostrander assessed the situation with Shado compared to how us board debaters might; usually making character judgements like "he's arrogant, he won't make that mistake again" is something Jman would come up with, but it appears to be quite valid here.

“The galaxy must experience the pain of death and the rapture of rebirth as I have. I will bring chaos. It is time for war.

Old Post Mar 17th, 2018 08:45 PM
Click here to Send ILS a Private Message Find more posts by ILS Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Selenial
I Choose Violence

Interesting quote. I find it difficult to place Shado now though, I feel like that quote contradicts his performance against Talon on Vendaxa.

"i admire u choose cersei as ur avi sel. at least u know that ur one sick *****, i can respect that" - Inturpid.

Old Post Mar 17th, 2018 09:03 PM
Click here to Send Selenial a Private Message Find more posts by Selenial Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ILS
Restricted

Account Restricted

Yeah it's odd. Then again, Wolf got rekt by Nihl and then stalemated him with one arm.

Legacy characters seem to be quite variable.

“The galaxy must experience the pain of death and the rapture of rebirth as I have. I will bring chaos. It is time for war.

Old Post Mar 17th, 2018 09:05 PM
Click here to Send ILS a Private Message Find more posts by ILS Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

quote: (post)
Originally posted by ILS
Seems to be much weaker in the Force though, since he was taken out by both Cade and Talon with it.
thumb up

He was definitely intended to be in the upper echelon of Legacy-era duelists. Better than Talon, Maladi, possibly Cade, the Imperial Knights, etc. He has a scarce few force feats, though... But one that stands out to me is when he appeared to split Maladi's lightning -- sending each half of it into opposite ends of his lightsaber. He was also very adept at force-concealment, iirc.

"I am tired of Earth. These people.
I am tired of being caught in the tangle of their lives."

Old Post Mar 17th, 2018 10:30 PM
Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ursumeles
Traitor

Originally posted by Galan007
He was also very adept at force-concealment, iirc.
Are you reffering to the scene when he, Azlyn, Draco, Cade etc hid only a few meters away from Stryfe, Maladi and Krayt?

Old Post Mar 17th, 2018 10:34 PM
Click here to Send Ursumeles a Private Message Find more posts by Ursumeles Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
carthage
PLEASE PROTECT ME STONES

I seriously need to read those comics

"Happiness is a lie. Life is horror. The light is always dying all across the universe. The last star will flicker out someday, when it does, all that remains is shadow. And I will be its king!"'-Amahl Farouk

Old Post Mar 17th, 2018 10:35 PM
Click here to Send carthage a Private Message Find more posts by carthage Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Originally posted by Ursumeles
Are you reffering to the scene when he, Azlyn, Draco, Cade etc hid only a few meters away from Stryfe, Maladi and Krayt?
Yes. The infiltration of Had Abbadon.

Old Post Mar 17th, 2018 10:44 PM
Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ILS
Restricted

Account Restricted

Yeah, Maladi even commented on that.

Shado had a few tricks up his sleeve, like this:

https://static.comicvine.com/upload...plant+surge.png

Old Post Mar 17th, 2018 11:00 PM
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

thumb up That was right after he TK'd Cade, iirc.

Here's the feat I mentioned earlier- it appears like Shado is splitting Maladi's lightning(from extremely close-quarters, mind you) so that it strikes each end of his lightsaber:
https://i.imgur.com/aTolVzU.jpg

...Unless I'm looking at it wrong, it seems like a decently impressive force-feat.

Thoughts?

Old Post Mar 17th, 2018 11:17 PM
Tzeentch
#gottem

In-universe declarations. wew

"The Daemon lied with every breath. It could not help itself but to deceive and dismay, to riddle and ruin. The more we conversed, the closer I drew to one singularly ineluctable fact: I would gain no wisdom here."

Old Post Mar 17th, 2018 11:27 PM
Click here to Send Tzeentch a Private Message Find more posts by Tzeentch Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nephthys
The Gr8est!!!!!!!!

I think you're assuming we actually thought about this guy at all lol.

Old Post Mar 17th, 2018 11:50 PM
Click here to Send Nephthys a Private Message Find more posts by Nephthys Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
JKBart
Restricted

Account Restricted

why not lol, he's a pretty good character

They are angry because they have been forced to recognize that their hour has arrived; that the time has come to surrender power to Shimrra and the new order."

Old Post Mar 17th, 2018 11:53 PM
Click here to Send JKBart a Private Message Find more posts by JKBart Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ILS
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Nephthys
I think you're assuming we actually thought about this guy at all lol.
Didn't mean to flick you on the balls there, Nephy. Bane dies. Is that better?
Originally posted by Galan007
thumb up That was right after he TK'd Cade, iirc.

Here's the feat I mentioned earlier- it appears like Shado is splitting Maladi's lightning(from extremely close-quarters, mind you) so that it strikes each end of his lightsaber:
https://i.imgur.com/aTolVzU.jpg

...Unless I'm looking at it wrong, it seems like a decently impressive force-feat.

Thoughts?
Interesting. It might just be because it's an attempt to portray the progress of the battle, or alternatively that Maladi was splitting her own lightning.

Old Post Mar 17th, 2018 11:56 PM
Nephthys
The Gr8est!!!!!!!!

I didn't mean it in a rude way. You could count the number of threads for him on 1 hand most likely. Legacy gets no love outside of Cade, Krayt, Wyyrlok and Talon.

Old Post Mar 17th, 2018 11:58 PM
Click here to Send Nephthys a Private Message Find more posts by Nephthys Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cs_zoltan

Re: Shado Vao is better than we thought

Originally posted by ILS
So Shado is a better lightsaber duelist than the Cade who was just about to kick Nihl's ass and take on Vong Krayt. He's also better than Talon.

So what does that make Maladi who fought him for several pages until interrupted?

"You presume limits to our double standards. There are none." - Vitidiots

Old Post Mar 18th, 2018 01:04 AM
Click here to Send cs_zoltan a Private Message Find more posts by cs_zoltan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Originally posted by ILS
or alternatively that Maladi was splitting her own lightning.
I had considered that, but frankly, there would be no tactical reason for Maladi to split her FL in close quarters like that, imo -- especially knowing that Shado's double-bladed lightsaber would be ideal for intercepting both 'halves' of the attack simultanesouly.

...Had she been fighting an opponent with a single-bladed weapon, however, I could definitely see the logic in dividing said attack.

Last edited by Galan007 on Mar 18th, 2018 at 01:41 AM

Old Post Mar 18th, 2018 01:37 AM
Freedon Nadd

I loved the Legacy era!

RealistRacism: "Sheevites, much like the Banites, were meant to increase in power with each member. From Lightsnake to Gideon to Azronger, this was supposed to be the case. However, knowledge must've been lost in some kind of Gravid-like incident, as Az turned out to be a mid-tier debater with a sub-par track record, sh!itting all over Tempest's legacy. Sad."

Old Post Mar 19th, 2018 05:58 AM
Click here to Send Freedon Nadd a Private Message Find more posts by Freedon Nadd Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jedi_Jesus_Fish

I dont really thinks Shado's best feat would be splitting Maladi's lightning, as much as when he Tk'ed back 2 Imp Knights. While the lightning is more "combatively useful" the fact that he easily pushed through the force shielding of not one knight, but two of them is modestly impressive for someone of his era.

Id be inclined to think by his feats of easily matching Talon, as well as Tk'ing the knights and showing use of tutaminus catching Maladi's lightning would place him above the likes of Assaj Ventress, perhaps on a level akin to Kit fisto?

Old Post Apr 8th, 2018 09:26 PM
Click here to Send Jedi_Jesus_Fish a Private Message Find more posts by Jedi_Jesus_Fish Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote