KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » Drew: Kun > Revan & Malak

Drew: Kun > Revan & Malak
Started by: AncientPower

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (4): « 1 2 [3] 4 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
AncientPower
The Chosen One

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Nephthys
Theres a merchant on the Yavin station that says it.

Anyway, this is no more pathetic than Ant and cos usual shenanigans so unsure why theres so much backlash unless its just pure dislike for AP.

The correct answer imo is to ignore both suggestions and place these characters based on their actual showings and accolades.

They're pissed because they know without that quote their entire argument collapses.

Within your furnace heart, you burn in your own flame. This is how it feels to be Anakin Skywalker.

Old Post Mar 25th, 2018 01:12 AM
Click here to Send AncientPower a Private Message Find more posts by AncientPower Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
FreshestSlice
Eternal Commander

Originally posted by AncientPower
Seriously? There's a quote where he not only denounces that the Jedi Civil War and Malak are the most important threats ever, but this is coming from the mouth of the guy who fought Kun in the Kun War.

Yet none of this is really relevant, what Drew clarifies here is just as-if not more-relevant than what Cory Herndon wrote in his blog. Kreia never met the ancient Sith but we didn't mind using her authenticated statements through Avellone as a means of wank.

Are we going to pretend Vitiate conquering the galaxy and consuming it is somehow less important than Exar Kun? Just concede, AP. He's saying everyone thinks their war is the most important, not legit comparing them. And no one is above Chee, so the argument was dead in the water. No one's really threatened by you. It's just extended laughing.

Old Post Mar 25th, 2018 01:16 AM
Click here to Send FreshestSlice a Private Message Find more posts by FreshestSlice Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
One Big Mob
Dead

Seriously? There's a quote where he not only denounces that the Jedi Civil War and Malak are the most important threats ever, but this is coming from the mouth of the guy who fought Kun in the Kun War.

Yet none of this is really relevant, what Drew clarifies here is just as-if not more-relevant than what Cory Herndon wrote in his blog. Kreia never met the ancient Sith but we didn't mind using her authenticated statements through Avellone as a means of wank.
Jolee is speaking about every threat from every time. He is making fun at the people who think everything that happens to them is the best. That's not a stance, that's just him hating the people who think like this. Almost a jab at the fans too.

You tricked Drew into trying to confirm things he never wrote because he hasn't written them for almost 2 decades and he just went along with it because he has no idea if he said it or not. Based on one actual quote from a DLC merchant with no force powers who has never met Malak and didn't even know his name.

It's a bit of a stretch imo. Even if the Jolee quote actually said what you think it does.

Old Post Mar 25th, 2018 02:19 AM
Click here to Send One Big Mob a Private Message Find more posts by One Big Mob Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
S_W_LeGenD

As I pointed out before, no character or in-game codex suggest Exar Kun > Darth Malak or Darth Revan. Not even that Rodian.

I am sorry AP but you need to be careful in your queries. Do not mislead authors.

Old Post Mar 25th, 2018 02:30 AM
Click here to Send S_W_LeGenD a Private Message Find more posts by S_W_LeGenD Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
AncientPower
The Chosen One

Originally posted by FreshestSlice
Are we going to pretend Vitiate conquering the galaxy and consuming it is somehow less important than Exar Kun? Just concede, AP. He's saying everyone thinks their war is the most important, not legit comparing them. And no one is above Chee, so the argument was dead in the water. No one's really threatened by you. It's just extended laughing.

He's putting down Carth for making Malak and his Sith out to be the biggest threat they've faced. Yet he says that isn't true. He goes on to explain how big a threat Exar Kun was when you actually ask him about it.

Chee has been directly quoted as stating that he doesn't believe in quotes like that. Stop peddling his psuedo-involvement as some unassailable smoking gun.

Within your furnace heart, you burn in your own flame. This is how it feels to be Anakin Skywalker.

Old Post Mar 25th, 2018 02:37 AM
Click here to Send AncientPower a Private Message Find more posts by AncientPower Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
One Big Mob
Dead

He's putting down Carth for making Malak and his Sith out to be the biggest threat they've faced. Yet he says that isn't true. He goes on to explain how big a threat Exar Kun was when you actually ask him about it.

Chee has been directly quoted as stating that he doesn't believe in quotes like that. Stop peddling his psuedo-involvement as some unassailable smoking gun.

(please log in to view the image)

"He put down this being the greatest threat, but he spoke of the war that got his wife killed. Clearly he thinks Exar Kun is the best ever."

He also spoke of how he had to leave civilized space because of how everyone felt about the Jedi. Speaking of a threat doesn't mean he thinks it's more powerful than another. He clearly thought Malak was a threat though, or else he wouldn't have helped. He just didn't like everyone thinking everything that happens to them is the worst

Last edited by One Big Mob on Mar 25th, 2018 at 03:05 AM

Old Post Mar 25th, 2018 03:02 AM
Click here to Send One Big Mob a Private Message Find more posts by One Big Mob Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
AncientPower
The Chosen One

Originally posted by S_W_LeGenD
As I pointed out before, no character or in-game codex suggest Exar Kun > Darth Malak or Darth Revan. Not even that Rodian.

I am sorry AP but you need to be careful in your queries. Do not mislead authors.

Can I ask if you've even played KotOR? Savum Tan says that he was more powerful than any Sith since and goes on about how the ground shook as he walked by.

Old Post Mar 25th, 2018 03:27 AM
S_W_LeGenD

Can I ask if you've even played KotOR? Savum Tan says that he was more powerful than any Sith since and goes on about how the ground shook as he walked by.

Yes, I have played KoTOR.

Savum asserted that Exar Kun was stronger than any Sith [who came before] but in further conversation he admitted that he did not knew about Darth Malak.

Last edited by S_W_LeGenD on Mar 25th, 2018 at 06:38 AM

Old Post Mar 25th, 2018 06:33 AM
Click here to Send S_W_LeGenD a Private Message Find more posts by S_W_LeGenD Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Freedon Nadd

Originally posted by One Big Mob
Good point, why would anyone need to see proof of claims?
From your sig, you see like a smart guy. I'm sure you'd realize what a few wild claims can lead to.
I like to see things with my own eyes before I start believing it though. I thought it was a simple ask tbh, but I get posts like this instead.

I found the quote though. It is definitive, but still from a guy who has only ever apparently met Exar Kun and only heard of "a sith lord" from smugglers. So yeah, back at the start. He does say he is far more powerful than any Sith Lord since, but he also hasn't left the station since either apparently.
I guess it's the Jolee quote now.

Umm, what? I am not talking about characters' statements. It's pretty obvious that. Kun>Malak. That's it. Period. Whatever accolade claims that is stupid(is it the metallic jaw one?)

What has Malak done to put him on Kun's level?

Malak couldn't even drain those Jedi at once, he did it individually. Meanwhile Exar Kun drained 8000 Massassi at once.
And, please, don't insult me.

RealistRacism: "Sheevites, much like the Banites, were meant to increase in power with each member. From Lightsnake to Gideon to Azronger, this was supposed to be the case. However, knowledge must've been lost in some kind of Gravid-like incident, as Az turned out to be a mid-tier debater with a sub-par track record, sh!itting all over Tempest's legacy. Sad."

Old Post Mar 25th, 2018 04:44 PM
Click here to Send Freedon Nadd a Private Message Find more posts by Freedon Nadd Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
One Big Mob
Dead

Originally posted by Freedon Nadd
Umm, what? I am not talking about characters' statements. It's pretty obvious that. Kun>Malak. That's it. Period. Whatever accolade claims that is stupid(is it the metallic jaw one?)

What has Malak done to put him on Kun's level?

Malak couldn't even drain those Jedi at once, he did it individually. Meanwhile Exar Kun drained 8000 Massassi at once.
And, please, don't insult me.
So you think we shouldn't need to actually confirm statements in a thread based on the implications of those statements?

The issue isn't about who is better than who and how obvious it is. If that were, this thread would have been "Kun>Malak because he drained a bunch of Massassi at once". The issue is about proving that these statements actually exist. You can't just say anything under the guise of "He's better anyway so why does it matter?", that's not how things work. That's not what this thread is even based on either.

I thought the statements were made up and was wondering if anyone could show me them to hasten my search. When a writer gets tricked into answering something he's accused of writing well over a decade ago, that's kind of relevant. His opinion means a lot to AP because he's confirming or denying something he presumably wrote.
One was not made up, and one is a false dilemma. The question now becomes based on a non force sensitive Rodian that has only heard of Malak's work through smugglers and Trandoshans. Why did this question need to be asked?
And if neither of the statements existed, then the thread looks even more stretchy and reachey than ever thought possible.

My contention wasn't with Kun's power, it was the validity of the statements that this thread was based on. Like I said, you seem like a smart guy, you should be able to see my point now. Just because someone questions the existence of a feat or statement, that doesn't mean it effects their viewpoint of the character.

If someone started claiming Vader was directly stated to be more powerful than Vitiate, therefore he could beat Jolee Bindo, do you not think it'd be reasonable to ask to see the quote when your own search fails you? Or would you go into the thread and go "Why would you need to see the quote, it's obvious he can beat Jolee Bindo. He fought against Starkiller afterall!"

I'm not insulting you, I'm just saying, you seem like a smart guy. I didn't think I'd need to go in depth to explain my prior search for proof.

Old Post Mar 25th, 2018 05:46 PM
Freedon Nadd

To be honest, no one knew about Nathema.

RealistRacism: "Sheevites, much like the Banites, were meant to increase in power with each member. From Lightsnake to Gideon to Azronger, this was supposed to be the case. However, knowledge must've been lost in some kind of Gravid-like incident, as Az turned out to be a mid-tier debater with a sub-par track record, sh!itting all over Tempest's legacy. Sad."

Old Post Mar 25th, 2018 06:00 PM
Click here to Send Freedon Nadd a Private Message Find more posts by Freedon Nadd Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Freedon Nadd

Originally posted by One Big Mob
So you think we shouldn't need to actually confirm statements in a thread based on the implications of those statements?

The issue isn't about who is better than who and how obvious it is. If that were, this thread would have been "Kun>Malak because he drained a bunch of Massassi at once". The issue is about proving that these statements actually exist. You can't just say anything under the guise of "He's better anyway so why does it matter?", that's not how things work. That's not what this thread is even based on either.

I thought the statements were made up and was wondering if anyone could show me them to hasten my search. When a writer gets tricked into answering something he's accused of writing well over a decade ago, that's kind of relevant. His opinion means a lot to AP because he's confirming or denying something he presumably wrote.
One was not made up, and one is a false dilemma. The question now becomes based on a non force sensitive Rodian that has only heard of Malak's work through smugglers and Trandoshans. Why did this question need to be asked?
And if neither of the statements existed, then the thread looks even more stretchy and reachey than ever thought possible.

My contention wasn't with Kun's power, it was the validity of the statements that this thread was based on. Like I said, you seem like a smart guy, you should be able to see my point now. Just because someone questions the existence of a feat or statement, that doesn't mean it effects their viewpoint of the character.

If someone started claiming Vader was directly stated to be more powerful than Vitiate, therefore he could beat Jolee Bindo, do you not think it'd be reasonable to ask to see the quote when your own search fails you? Or would you go into the thread and go "Why would you need to see the quote, it's obvious he can beat Jolee Bindo. He fought against Starkiller afterall!"

I'm not insulting you, I'm just saying, you seem like a smart guy. I didn't think I'd need to go in depth to explain my prior search for proof.

Sorry, lmao. I thought you were Derron_solo(didn't look at your profile).
I see now.
But of course characters' opinions are irrelevant if they weren't there when the specific event happened.

Old Post Mar 25th, 2018 06:04 PM
One Big Mob
Dead

Sorry, lmao. I thought you were Derron_solo(didn't look at your profile).
I see now.
Ouch. Right for the throat

Old Post Mar 25th, 2018 06:28 PM
FreshestSlice
Eternal Commander

To be honest, no one knew about Nathema.

There was an entire conspiracy against the Emperor because people knew about Nathema. I bet Drew, the guy who wrote all these things, knew about it though, so why you made this pointless reply is really beyond me.

Old Post Mar 25th, 2018 09:22 PM
Click here to Send FreshestSlice a Private Message Find more posts by FreshestSlice Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Selenial
I Choose Violence

Originally posted by Tzeentch
Imagine being Drew Karpyshyn. Imagine the feeling of depression and existential nihilism he experiences every time some nerd emails him with questions regarding a setting he was paid to write some stuff for over a decade ago and has almost certainly forgotten the majority of his thought process when writing it.

Imagine how few seconds he spends actually considering the question before throwing out whatever answer pops into his head first before he finishes taking a shit or eating his breakfast or any of the other myriad things that take precedence over talking about a universe that's been officially dead for almost 5 years.

Kill me.

thumb up tbh.

Also:

I'm not any kind of official expert or authority on Star Wars. I wrote some books for them, but I don't get to say what is or isn't canon or official or anything like that. And I really don't like explaining my intention after I've written something, with a few notable exceptions. (Like clarifying the ending of the Bane trilogy.)

That's why I'm reluctant to answer questions like this; because even with all these caveats it's inevitable that fans will give my opinion more weight than it's worth. So, to sum up, I told you my opinion, but it doesn't have any real weight, importance or authority.

Please stop emailing this poor man, lmao.

"i admire u choose cersei as ur avi sel. at least u know that ur one sick *****, i can respect that" - Inturpid.

Old Post Mar 26th, 2018 01:59 AM
Click here to Send Selenial a Private Message Find more posts by Selenial Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Freedon Nadd

Isn't that when he was asked if Vitiate>Palpatine?

Old Post Mar 26th, 2018 05:15 AM
Freedon Nadd

There was an entire conspiracy against the Emperor because people knew about Nathema. I bet Drew, the guy who wrote all these things, knew about it though, so why you made this pointless reply is really beyond me.

Thought you meant IU.

Old Post Mar 26th, 2018 05:16 AM
Jaggarath
DarthAnt66

quote:
Originally posted by Selenial

Given how Ant keeps peddling Karpyshyn’s quotes as quasi-factual though, this is golden.

I haven't posted anything from Karpyshyn for years, nor have I contacted him since 2015.

"There is only Revan. Only he can shape this galaxy as it is meant to be shaped."

Last edited by Jaggarath on Mar 28th, 2018 at 03:16 AM

Old Post Mar 28th, 2018 03:11 AM
Click here to Send Jaggarath a Private Message Find more posts by Jaggarath Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Ellimist
The Shadow

It's squabbles like this that remind me of how epistemologically meaningless vs. debates are.

Old Post Mar 29th, 2018 03:40 PM
Click here to Send The Ellimist a Private Message Find more posts by The Ellimist Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
JMANGO
Restricted

Account Restricted

As is tugging one's cock, yet I'm drawn to it's pleasures everyday.

Old Post Mar 29th, 2018 04:00 PM
Click here to Send JMANGO a Private Message Find more posts by JMANGO Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote