KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » Thoughts on TLJ after my second viewing

Thoughts on TLJ after my second viewing
Started by: Rebel95

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Rebel95

Thoughts on TLJ after my second viewing

I just watched TLJ for the second time so I feel like I have a solid opinion on it now. Here are my thoughts:

I did enjoy the film, there was some great action, special effects, etc. I really liked the scene with Rey, Kylo and Snoke, and there was some more world building which was nice. However, my main gripe with TLJ, as well as TFA, is that you can really tell it was created more for a younger audience than us older SW fans. It's a little too childish/corny for my taste. One of the things I liked about Rogue One was the darker tone, and with the sequel trilogy you have almost the exact opposite. I know this probably makes sense for Disney financially, but it's disappointing. After my first viewing I was pretty upset with how they answered Rey's parentage but after my second viewing I actually think they handled it pretty well. Snoke's lack of backstory still annoys me, but hopefully we'll get answers in the future. Thoughts? Has your opinion changed after seeing the movie again?

Old Post Mar 29th, 2018 09:10 PM
Click here to Send Rebel95 a Private Message Find more posts by Rebel95 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kurk
Restricted

Account Restricted

I too agree that the corny jokes are quite the change when considering how dark Star Wars movies have been. Of course I can't blame Disney as they're clearly targeting the audience that will make them the most $$$ in the long run.

"Technology equals might!" "Evolve or perish"

Old Post Mar 29th, 2018 10:17 PM
Click here to Send Kurk a Private Message Find more posts by Kurk Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nephthys
The Gr8est!!!!!!!!

You must not have watched the originals recently. ANH, ESB and RotJ could be every bit as corny as TLJ was. And obviously TPM, AotC and CW weren't exactly free of cheese.

RotS was probably the only Lucas era SW movie that actually played it straight the whole way through.

Old Post Mar 29th, 2018 10:37 PM
Click here to Send Nephthys a Private Message Find more posts by Nephthys Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kurk
Restricted

Account Restricted

AotC and TPM were just corny with their jokes. TLJ is dwelling into toilet humor (like wtf is a "your mom" joke doing in Star Wars?)

"Technology equals might!" "Evolve or perish"

Old Post Mar 29th, 2018 11:01 PM
Click here to Send Kurk a Private Message Find more posts by Kurk Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nephthys
The Gr8est!!!!!!!!

Jar Jar stepped in poop.

Old Post Mar 29th, 2018 11:10 PM
Click here to Send Nephthys a Private Message Find more posts by Nephthys Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Merchant

My main gripes with TLJ was how much of the plot really wasn't needed aka Holdo/Poe and Finn/Rose. The good stuff was Rey Kylo Snoke and Luke.

"Vader's pulse and breathing were machine-regulated, so they could not quicken; but something in his chest became more electric around his meetings with the Emperor; he could not say how. A feeling of fullness, of power, of dark and demon mastery -- of secret lusts, unrestrained passion, wild submission -- all these things were in Vader's heart as he neared his Emperor. These things and more."

Old Post Mar 29th, 2018 11:30 PM
Click here to Send The Merchant a Private Message Find more posts by The Merchant Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zentrex
Hi!

Was there a "your mom" joke in TLJ? I'll admit the humor they were going for in TLJ failed miserably (besides Hux, Ben Swolo, BB-8 fixing Poe's X-wing (that's a time-tested one, though), and "reach out"). But the humor in most other star wars films is pretty corny as well.

My favorite attempts at humor in all of star wars is George Lucas' famous physical comedy in the fight scenes. The Original Trilogy had some of it, but the prequels and TCW took it to its zenith. The sequels are completely missing it.

Old Post Mar 29th, 2018 11:35 PM
Click here to Send Zentrex a Private Message Find more posts by Zentrex Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote